Is 640 Toronto Gaining On Fan 590?

I don’t have a ton of information, and getting real details is difficult these days when it comes to radio ratings but here is what several sources are telling me this morning:

Rumour is, that for the first time, in the month of September, amongst men aged 25-54 year olds 640 Toronto won every hour starting at 6am until noon. Yes, I am told that this has never happened before and that the Fan lost in every morning hour against 640 Toronto.

Now to be fair, at least to Andrew Krystal, those numbers aren’t his in the morning slot. He was still in the Hogan slot.

So from 6-7, 7-8, 8-9, 9-10, 10-11 and 11-12 640’s numbers were apparently higher than 590’s amongst malelisteners 25-54. In some cases I am told that the 640 lead over 590 was dramatic.

I will try to get more info on this, but that’s what I have so far…

Meanwhile, not sure if you heard Stephen Brunt say today on PTS that “his deal is almost done” well, that appears to be the case. So with Brunt re-upping on a deal to remain on PTS who will get the other half? For those who said Mr. Mcgoo, not so fast. I have it on good authority that there is a strong possibility that John Shannon won’t be spending too much time sitting next to Mccown. Who exactly will be the other half of the co-host I’m not quite sure of just yet…I have my guesses and preferences but stay tuned.

@yyzsportsmedia

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
October 19, 2010 7:23 am

I missed PTS today and Brunt’s announcement that a deal is almost done. I can’t help but think that the backlash against Shannon only helped to solidify Brunt’s negotiating position and Stephen will do quite well for himself, and believe me, it is well deserved as PTS without Brunt is, well, just not PTS.

The obvious Shannon replacement is Bruce Arthur, who I have been pounding the drum for continually. Yes, he tweeter me when I asked him over the Summer that his writing comes first and a regular guest host position would be too taxing on him. I also imagine his 1 year old twins and spending time with them is also a consideration.

On the other hand, the National Post certainly would approve of the exposure they get via PTS so I couldn’t see them getting in the way.

Arthur is still my frontrunner as I have to think that Bob will push hard for him, as they do have great chemistry together.

Regarding 640 kicking 590’s morning ass I couldn’t be more pleased. I am 46 and switched over to 640 myself the entire morning. Even E.Smith and Jeff Blair can’t seem to get me to listen regularily at this point after Krystal does his damage.

Kollins has completely brought this upon himself and he has not exactly endeared himself to the former hard core Fan listeners, many of whom he has alienated with his lack of openess and inability to engage the Fan listeners in any way.

Sam from Scarbrough
October 19, 2010 7:45 am

Can’t see the ratings as a surprise. As seen on here as an example there are less and less comments about the Fan.Which leads to speculation that people are not just listening less to the Fan but have totally tuned out all together.

Chris F.
Chris F.
October 19, 2010 8:46 am

I missed PTS but i’m glad to hear that Brunt will be back on a regular basis He has been to me, the natural heir to Jim “Shaky” Hunt in the co-host chair. The transition was slow and there were quite a few different guys given the opportunity but Brunt seized the day and a great asset to the show with his smarts and wit. He has proven to also be the best foil for McCown and knows how to push Bobcat’s buttons the right way.

I don’t know who will be the other half of the regular co-host duties but i’m glad to hear that it’s not a slam dunk for Mr. Magoo. If he was healthy i’d love if it if it were Jim Kelley. The guy can talk a bit too much but for the most part he was pretty good with his questions and showed to at least know a little about other sports unlike Magoo who is wretched to listen to when it comes to topics outside of hockey.

As for 640 killing 590 during the morning hours…Well that’s not surprising. I’ve tried listening to the morning show with Krystal and the man literally sounds like he’s having an orgasm over the Leafs. It’s like listening to a local yokel fan hosting the show. He has almost zero skill interviewing those in sports circles (though I admit he does better when interviewing academic types) and he fills the air with distasteful crap like talking about cutting balls off and killing everyone in regards to the Graham James situation.

Because of this, I can’t even muster the energy to listen to E. Smith or Blair, even if I wanted to the format of the FAN these days is just not for me. I miss having actual interviews with those in the know. Instead we’ll get a quick hit then phone calls. There’s only so much of that one can take.

Kollins has taken a station I used to listen to 90% of the time and has turned into a station I listen to occasionally with PTS being the only show I listen to regularly. It’s sad that i’ve gone to listening to 640 most of the day. I miss the old FAN 🙁

Kollins has really dug himself a hole and his lack of openness has not only hurt him but has made him look like a coward. Hopefully his departure will be imminent.

October 19, 2010 9:17 am

[Brunt] has proven to also be the best foil for McCown and knows how to push Bobcat’s buttons the right way.

can’t agree more. Bob is intellectually lazy, in that he plays to the level of his opposition (sports metaphor!). Shannon has been an anchor (the sinking kind, not the stabilizing kind) on PTS. I was turned off by Brunt during his “Torchy” phase but i’m basically over that now. He brings so much of his own intelligence to the show, and more importantly he keeps Bob on his toes.

as for the ratings, you mean people don’t want to talk about the newest Twilight movie? TSN RADIO — do it now!

/any chance we can get a preview button TSM

Mark
Mark
October 19, 2010 9:39 am

Raptors Devotee and Chris F are both bang on. Hopefully a ratings hit will get them to return to how they used to be.

Ami Angelwings
October 19, 2010 10:22 am

Yay Brunt is back! 😀

I LURVE Brunt :3

I so hope that it’s Arthur or Perkins in place of Shannon and not… Shannon >_<;;

I don't want Kelly back but I'd be okay if it means no more Shannon…

Gerry
Gerry
October 19, 2010 10:24 am

A while back, Dave Hodge was on PTS, wow, i hadn’t laughed that hard in a while, and Shannon was actually part of the segment. If TSN was ever to start a radio sports station Hodge would be a phenomenal host. They would only have to do one thing, pay Bobcat a ridiculous amount of money because reality is he owns that time slot. But Hodge could be the next best thing easily.

I have completely changed my listening habits, Talk 640 and actually FM Music until 3pm. Used to be work radio and truck radio were glued to 590.

Hope the ratings are true.

Go TSN Go (added benefit would be no Kypreos and Richie Rich)

CraigDubbs
CraigDubbs
October 19, 2010 10:31 am

The Fan590 has been a complete disaster and reeks of lack of direction and creativity since Kollins took over. I can only imagine what Bobcat would really like to say about all of this on air if he could.

The Fan590 is really unlistenable these days, and for me, if 640 carried a little more sports only talk radio throughout the day, I certainly would be permanently dialed in.

Krystal and Blair’s shows in particular are just disinteresting, and more about rants and their opinions, rather than sports discussions and dialogues. Krystal gets on an idea and then rants about it, asks a caller for a moment “what says you” then ignores the caller’s opinion or interest in dialogue and goes back on to telling everyone why is stupid opinion is right.

Nice work Mr Kollins, I thought that this station couldn’t get any worse after the temporary morning show of “Jeff and Producer Jeff”, it certainly can and it has.

Tommy D.
Tommy D.
October 19, 2010 10:47 am

I listened to Krystal for a few minutes this morning and was quickly reminded why I don’t bother anymore. He had Howard Berger on to talk about the Leafs. Howard lives and breathes the Leafs as a reporter yet brings some objectivity and balance to his opinions and he is someone that I listen to when he comes on. Unfortunately this morning he was reduced to having to come up with comebacks to Krystal’s lame attempts at wit and his Leaf cheerleading. Now I love the Leafs, but ‘being a Leaf fan’ is not the job of a radio host. As I mentioned in a previous entry, even when the show has someone potentially interesting on, Krystal makes the dialogue all about himself and doesn’t allow the person to complete a thought. The spot with Berger was a prime example. Simply put, The FAN morning show has become completely irrelevant. I find myself now switching between CBC1 and BOOM in the morning, whereby it was almost 100% The Fan before.

Aurora Barry
Aurora Barry
October 19, 2010 11:24 am

ditto from a salesguy who had the Fan590 on in the car 10 hours a day.
Brutal recast of the 590 format…ratings are easy to lose and hard to reclaim.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
October 19, 2010 11:40 am

TSM, any chance of getting Kollins on the Pressbox? This way you can speak on our behalf and you already have his ear.

I would position it that it is in his best interests to come clean on what he has done to the station and what he foresees ahead, that is if he is still in the position, which is dubious at best, given what has transpired since he took over.

At this point he may go for the Hail Mary and accept your invitation.

pudge72
pudge72
October 19, 2010 12:09 pm

Chris F.’s comments can be cut and pasted here. I have tried several times to see how Krystal operates in the morning slot. For my own personal safety, I have switched each time after less than five minutes…my eardrums seem to start to bleed.

Blair/Smith has been difficult…I prefer Smith. I would like to give Blair some benefit of the doubt as he has only been a solo host for a month or so. However, the change in format (i.e. calls, calls, calls) is also a huge negative that I cannot blame the hosts for.

I do enjoy Brady as he somehow makes Richie Rich and Kypreos somewhat listenable. Before Brady, I would stay away from the 12-2 slot completely.

Here’s my two cents on how the Fan line up should shape up (I’m sure there’s budgetary considerations that make this impossible):

6 – 9 am: Replace Krystal with Steve Kouleas as I don’t mind the concept of a high energy type of host in the morning slot. A set of rotating or occasional co-hosts (or Mike Hogan possibly as a regular co-host?…I do like his passion for football and CIS sports and he did have good call-in topics more often than not) would keep the show balanced from being too hockey heavy.

9 – noon: Bring back Gord Stellick as a co-host with Blair/Smith as this again would bring good balance between sports.

noon – 4 pm: The more Brady the better as he has been the one solid staffing decision by Kollins and I do like his self-depreciating humour when he mis-speaks as it emphasizes the confidence that he has in his work.

4 – 7 pm: Return Bob from whence he came as the 6 – 7 hour (presumably) has a larger audience than 3 – 4. Brunt as permanent/semi-regular co-host would be awesome, along with Arthur and Kelly as needed.

Above all, the Fan should return to solid, consistent information and content derived from out of town guests who know their market/sport, with the occasional call-in segment. I didn’t realize how much I would be willing to stomach the occasional clunker guest from a bottom dwelling team, mixed in with quality guests, if it meant getting rid of most of the hours and hours of caller segments. An 80/20 or 85/15 ratio for guests to callers would be ideal, in my humble opinion.

If something approaching these ideas does not occur…bring on TSN (or TSM!!) radio. For now, I will listen to FM in the morning.

Rob
Rob
October 19, 2010 12:49 pm

At this point I’ve lost a lot of the positive feelings I had about Brady too. He sure isn’t as bad a choice as Krystal but after the hockey show at noon I often just turn it off.

McCown seems to have lost some of his game too. Maybe he’s frustrated and annoyed at the way things went? Last week he had the Amazing Kreskin and a guy from Ashley Madison on. Both were dull interviews and really didn’t have much to do with sports. Brady even had a section on about 90210 and Shannon Doherty. Some guy called in and complained about it and he was essentially disconnected.

Maybe there are some who think this new line up is great. But I can’t see why anyone who listened to the Fan for long periods of time before or is a big sports fan will give most of the programming the time of day now.

The Historic
The Historic
October 19, 2010 12:51 pm

Things will get much worse for the Fan590. I can’t speak regarding Jeff Blair (whom I’ve enjoyed on PTS) and Greg Brady since I don’t listen during the day, but the morning show with Andrew Krystal is simply awful and often too embarrassing to listen to.

I really feel bad for guys like Dan Dunleavy and Jeff Zammit, not to mention the traffic personalities. They all seem lost during their segments and have started to have a little disdain in their voices from time-to-time with the banter.

I would hazard a guess that there’s very few people lining up to be interviewed on the morning show and the ratings will reflect this shortly, hopefully followed by the advertisers.

Who’s going to want to go on this show after listening to this first month? Let’s consider the wreckage…

Will Doug MacLean be back after hanging up on Krystal last week, during an interruption and non-sense filled segment?

How about Angelo Viola (of the Outdoor Journal)? I wonder if is interested in coming back on after he mused about how confused he was at his first “Krystal Nation” appearance (which may have been the single worst segment I’ve heard on the Fan in my 10+ years of listening).

680News broadcasters? They must be eager to show up after the rambling conversations they had to endure regarding the Chilean miners event.

How long before “guests” like Nick Kypreos, Howard Berger, Gord Stellick (this must be particularly embarrassing for him) and Jim Lang just say “no thanks”? It’s not like they can ever get their points across anyway. This week’s regular segments have been really bad.

Terrible…there aren’t enough words to describe just how bad this is. If you listen closely enough, you can actually hear the radios changing stations.

Greg
Greg
October 19, 2010 1:53 pm

I would presume there is a double whammy at play here. Poor choices for changes in the radio show line-up + poor play of the sports teams people want to talk about = lower ratings.

How much does the impact of crappy performing local sports teams have on the ratings of all sports radio?

oldsalty
oldsalty
October 19, 2010 2:12 pm

I agree with Tommy D. regarding the Berger segment this morning. After abandoning the Fan, I decided to listen this morning. I tuned in at the start of the Berger segment and had to bail out because it was so uncomfortable. I came back a few minutes later and detected the same disdain in the voice of Krystal’s chat partner that The Historic notes above. It is nice to know that I am not the only one picking up on these vibes. Has there ever been such a poorly-managed programming refresh in the history of Toronto radio?

Adhish
Adhish
October 19, 2010 2:25 pm

I have been a loyal fan listener since its inception way back in 1993. The changes that were made this summer were both ill-conceived and in haste. Andrew Krsytal may be great in interviewing academics as someone else stated but has no idea when to comes to sports. I think the majority of the time he is just being controversial for the sake of it. Examples include calling Wayne Gretzky a candy ass and implying that Elin Woods was a glorified prostitute. Blair and Smith were better pre-Kollins than they are post-Kollins. I think they are being mandated to be more confrontational to try and improve the station. As for the calllers versus guests , is it just me, or do other people think this may have something to do with mo Brian Angus anymore? I dont blame Angus for leaving. Who would want to work with Krystal anyway. I miss Palillo, Hamilton, Wojnarowski, Gingrich etc. Hockey Central and PTS are the only things I listen to and lately I have been listening to the Bill Watters show more as they actually talk about sports.

I have emailed Kollins and Farraway as well as Millman and Viner.

No response from Kollins, Millman replied saying that I should give it a chance (which I did and it made me dislike the Fan even more). Farraway said to change to another station.

These guys just dont get it.

October 19, 2010 2:27 pm

Interesting!

I would listen to Pudge 72s day of programming…new morning show, stellick + Blair/Smith, Brady, then McCown from 4 – 7. Makes a lot of sense to me. I’m not familiar with Kouleas though.

I can’t say those ratings would be surprising. It seems pretty apparent that 640 is very strong in the first half of the day (Oakley and Stafford are pretty established) while The Fan is in disarray. Krystal was thrown into mornings last minute, and either Blair or Smith would really need a cohost to make a go of the 9 – 12 slot.

Funnily enough, it seems like the reverse is true from 12 – 6 or so. It will be interesting to see if Brady and McCown demolish 640 in the same fashion Oakley and Stafford are apparently demolishing The Fan. Though many of The Fan’s changes have been pretty bad, I’m really loving Brady in the afternoons followed by McCown. As Pudge said, I would be cool with Brady 12 – 4, followed by Bobcat 4 – 7.

Really curious to see what the BW show gets with Hayes replacing Brady. I’ve got to think it will plummet. That is such a downgrade, in my opinion. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a political talk show (Oakley/Stafford style) in there in another year or so.

Pat MaGroin
October 19, 2010 2:30 pm

A post from the SOWNY board…not such a bad idea??

ESPN 1050 would work great for Toronto – they can tap into radio versions of TSN’s That’s Hockey, Sports Centre, CHL games, Wendy’s Friday Night CFL, MLB baseball, hire Landry and Hogan in the morning, Mike Stubbs in the mid-day from CJBK in London, and who knows – maybe the Bobcat when his contract expires. Lots of great ex Fan people around – Bill Hayes in the afternoon and Stormin’ Norman after play-by-play sports – ESPN overnights… better than Krystal Meth in the mornings…

Insider
Insider
October 19, 2010 3:09 pm

The September numbers also confirm the correct decision made at 640 to axe Leafs Lunch. I’m told that Watters was furious about that decision and made his opinion clear to anybody who would listen. From what I’ve seen from the PPM’s is a steady share of listeners from 6:00 AM until 2:00 PM where Leafs Lunch would dive only to come back at 1:00 PM. Maybe with the new strength of the early season the Leafs lunch brand could come back. But it took a lot of screaming and wailing from Wilbur only to convince him that the Lunch was a liability.

Steve
Steve
October 19, 2010 3:14 pm

What did McCowan just say at the start of his show about ratings? It was something about 11 being greater than 2.5. Where did he get his numbers? And was that dig directed at this site?

Henrry Morgentaller Jr.
Henrry Morgentaller Jr.
October 19, 2010 3:41 pm

Kollins will be regretting the day he brought Krystal Nation to the Fan. Krystal is too fake for me and he’s not the kinda guy who can grown on me either. Hanging up on Richie Rich (planned or not) on his first day was a bit too”(simpsons did it) for me. Oakley on 640 is solid and Krystal just doesn’t have “IT” to go head to head.

Not sure whats going on between 9-12? I have a lot of respect for Blair and I didn’t mind him as a guest on the PTS round table but the verdict is out on this one.

“Headshot Central” is a day to day thing for me. For the last 2 weeks all they’ve talked about is the Pommie hit. I just wish they could switch topics more often.
I really liked the chemistry between Millard, Kipper and Dougie but Brady’s doing good job.

Prime Time Sports, I agree, the show hasn’t been as solid as before. Having Brunt back will make a difference. Brunt just has the right chemistry with Bobcat, I could listen to these guys all day. I’m also a fan of the Kelley/Bobcat combo and not so much of Shannon. He has to remember that it’s Bob’s show. When Shannon is on, it feels like a straight up Co-Host gig and that doesn’t work for me.

Good to hear Stellick on the Blue and White.

Errol
Errol
October 19, 2010 3:55 pm

Steve,you might have to ask McCowan’s family for an answer to that.Not sure if anyone else is listening.

Chris F.
Chris F.
October 19, 2010 4:25 pm

Quoting Adhish:

“Farraway said to change to another station.”

LOL! Well that’s one way to keep listeners to the station! Seems like he’s not such a nice guy though I bet he’s getting a ton of e-mails like that and could be frustrated.

Jessie Brockmann
Jessie Brockmann
October 19, 2010 4:43 pm

Hey Farraway,

No worries I have already switched!

But thanks for your input.

Dileno
Dileno
October 19, 2010 5:32 pm

ESPN 1050 is a nice idea but 1050 is now CP24 on radio, so it’s all news and talk. Sports 1050 was tried a few years ago and could not get sufficient ratings to survive and that was before 640 had the Muddy Watters show. 3 competing sports stations in T.O. is probably too much.

October 19, 2010 6:19 pm

Steve is right…………McCown definitely made a “11.5 rating is higher than a 2.5 rating” comment at the start of his show today.

He seems to be upset at a website that claimed 640 was beating 590 in the ratings…………I assume he was talking about this site, since I can’t find another site that is talking about radio ratings today………….but TSM never said that 640 was beating 590 throughout the day………….he clearly said that he was only talking about the 6:00 AM to noon shows.

Given McCown’s comment, I guess this means that his show got a 11.5 in the recent ratings and Wilbur got a 2.5…………if that is true, I believe it would be an all-time high for McCown (which is a bit surprising given the recent overdose of Shannon) and a sharp drop for Wilbur (which is not surprising given Brady’s departure)

Insider
Insider
October 19, 2010 6:43 pm

To Bobcat’s rant about 640. When 640 was in the Mojo format 2001-2002, the old BBM diary system had Stafford from 4:00-7:00 beating him in men 25-54 by a substantial margin. Of course that format didn t last because the ad agencies associated Mojo with today’s version of Axe Body Spray. Smells nice but do we want to be associated with this?

cam
cam
October 19, 2010 7:07 pm

Curiouser and Curiouser – The fan through a looking glass – Farraway telling the audience to leave, Bobcat defending a nonexistent slag from this site, ink stained wretches as part time broadcasters – twilight reviews, kreskin … Ashley Madison, callers by the bag full and Kollins running about with off with their heads …. It does appear to be a surreal time in the life of this station …

I have noticed that breaks between segments are now pushing over 7 minutes and do not seem to be filled with what I would term quality sponsors. If the numbers are as reported, it would explain what would appear to be ever increasing cost driven decisions. How else is a part time broadcaster like Blair flying solo explained?

They were crying poor after the Olympics when shares were very high – one can only imagine what the books look like now. Imagine how that meeting would go, explaining how your new strategy has further decreased financial results …..

The afternoon and PTS in particular- if 11.5 is their share number – will be recouping the morning losses in more than just audience. Perhaps that is why McCowan was able to get Brunt back and … signed. God can they not find better than Kelley and Shannon…

October 19, 2010 7:59 pm

Just listened to the start of the show on podcast. McCown was definitely taking a little dig at TSM, I’d say.

It also definitely sounds like he beat the Watters Show 11.1 to 2.5 in the latest ratings period. 640 would only have itself to blame with that one by replacing Brady with fill in/evening caliber guy like Hayes.

Ami Angelwings
October 19, 2010 8:09 pm

I listened to Brady the other day and actually enjoyed him, at least when he wasn’t talking about Carrie Fisher and other non related sports things… Kollins’ idea to have less sports stuff is awful, the FAN is an all sports station isn’t it? Why would you try to be something you’re not? Do they rly think we listen to them for hollywood gossip? >__<;;

It just seems like this entire Kollins run, from what I'm reading about here and in the sports media columns at the Star and Globe (tho, does the Star have one anymore?) has been such a disaster. And whoever said Bob seems off his game lately, is right, I've been noticing that since the summer… he seems unhappier and his interviews have not been up to Bob standards. Also Shannon seems to bring out the worst in him, instead of the best, like Brunt and sometimes Kelly.

I just hope the FAN goes back to where it did before, or at least in a direction that's not this one because other than Bob (and Wilner, when the Jays season is going..), the other shows just are unlistenable. It's not like I loved the Bullpen, but at least it was listenable. And I miss the Game Plan so much 🙁

October 19, 2010 9:01 pm

I liked the GamePlan a lot too, Ami. I like the ‘two guys casually chatting all 4 sports’ vibe. Why not bring it back from 10 – 12? Or how about pairing Armstrong and Blair in that slot? Or Armstrong and Stellick? So many better options out there than what they’ve done.

By the way, Bryan Hayes is pretty decent doing evenings on 640. I’ve just tuned in a couple times, but he seems to be pretty good. Better than any talk shows the Fan has in evenings or weekends, anyway.

Rob
Rob
October 19, 2010 11:08 pm

It probably galls Bob to hear all this praise about Brunt. I mean, he likely is happy in a way for Stephen but I wonder if he is sensing that the listeners are tuning in as much for Brunt as they are for Bob himself. Bob alone can still be good when he interviews certain guests but in some ways you can see signs that he may be reaching the point Martin Brodeur may be reaching – still effective but showing some signs of decline.

Pudge72
Pudge72
October 20, 2010 2:37 am

Daniel – Thank you for your feedback on my comments.

Steve Kouleas, prior to this season, had been the long time host of all things hockey on The Score TV network. He, like Pierre Maguire on TSN, bring a loud, slightly over the top, presentation to their broadcasts. However, I like these two as, unlike John Madden – another exuberant commentator – they bring a high level of knowledge and quality analysis to their work.

Pat MaGroin – I’m glad you mentioned Mike Stubbs as part of a potential TSN/ESPN Canada line-up. He is a high quality broadcaster. Definitely a big fish in the smaller pond of London, ON (I live there). His 4 – 6 pm drive time show on 1290 CJBK is excellent as he does a great job of presenting local (high school/Western Mustangs/Fanshawe Falcons/London Knights OHL hockey), national (Jays and NHL), and international (mainly soccer) sports news in an entertaining manner. He does great work as the Knights play-by-play broadcaster and raises the level of the CJBK morning show whenever he covers the hosts’ vacation time.

TSM – with the comment that 1050 is being run as CP24 on radio, do you know which (if any) station is currently owned by the CTVglobemedia group in the GTA? Presumably if they do own a station, and they are interested in launching TSN radio, they would simply convert the existing AM station to the TSN format. If CTV doesn’t own a Toronto AM station, do you know if the purchase of 640 would be feasible as a platform for TSN radio?

October 20, 2010 2:49 am

Hey Pudge –

I believe that CP24 is actually owned by CTV/Globemedia (who bought it when CP24 and MuchMusic separated from City TV, which was bought by Rogers).

So if any station of theirs was to be converted to all sports, it’d be 1050, I think. They don’t get any ratings on the simulcast of CP24, so I think they’re essentially just holding the frequency. Hence the recent ‘1050 is going to become ESPN radio’ rumours from the sowny.ca site.

Pudge72
Pudge72
October 20, 2010 6:41 am

Thanks for the clarification Daniel…bring on TSN 1050!!!

Ron
Ron
October 20, 2010 10:22 am

Don’t listen in the mornings, so I can’t comment on that one. But, the return of Brunt is certainly welcome news for any of us who’ve grown tired of J. Shannon. He was just abysmal, and I’d have to think he turned off a lot of listeners. Remember that the way the new PPM (Portable People Meter) ratings system works with BBM, if you tune to the station even for a minute, it’ll add up in the ratings. So even if you tune in to PTS for a minute or two, and then switch stations when you hear Shannon on the show, it’s still gonna register as you having listened to PTS.
My contact tells me that this is all the work of Rick Scott (radio consultant), and that Kollins is essentially doing Scott’s bidding. The good thing is that this new PPM system allows stations almost instantaneous access to their ratings; so if the Krystal show is turning people off, as appears to be the case, they’ll know soon enough.

kyle
kyle
October 20, 2010 11:29 am

That’s interesting info re: the PPM. I have not completely abandoned the morning show yet, hoping (in vain) to hear something interesting from whoever else is on with Krystal.
My listening doesn’t usually last long though. Guess I need to cut the cord to affect change.

October 20, 2010 11:58 am

It has been a long time since we have heard from our friend Julian………….I don’t always agree with him but I enjoy reading his take on the Toronto sports radio scene

Krystal interviewed Brian Burke this morning…………we can now add Burke to the growing list of guests that have been perplexed by Krystal’s interview “style”

jeff
jeff
October 20, 2010 12:13 pm

I have tried to listen to Krystal and he is simply abysmal, asking for others input and then cutting them off. Blair is not a host and I cannot believe they let Hogie go in exchange for all this. I can’t comment on Brady because I don’t listen at the time. McCown is good as always and Brunt will be great. All I can say is that the FAN has lost me in the morning to WGR in Buffalo and Kollins needs to go…

Carm
Carm
October 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Not surprised at all to hear that AM640 is whipping the FAN during all of the morning time slots. Oakley and Stafford are engaging, educated and articulate hosts. Flip between the two stations between 9 and 10 am and it’s hard not to be embarrassed for Blair when you compare him to a true radio pro like Oakley.

Krystal has been miscast by the FAN. In many respects, he’s like Oakley. That is, a bright, educated guy with opinionated views on all topics (not just sports). But, likely Oakley, Krystal is not a sports junkie. He follows sports but he’s not a junkie like most of the people who listen to the FAN are. IMO, he is trying too hard to be controversial and compensate for his lack of sports knowledge. In his previous life with MOJO, Krystal was never this contrived.

Tommy D.
Tommy D.
October 29, 2010 11:24 am

This morning I listened to an interview ‘On Demand’ from The Fan 590 web site held yesterday with Andrew Krystal interviewing a reporter from the Los Angeles Times, Helene Elliot. I was amazed…Krystal allowed the guest to speak and fully flesh out her thoughts and opinions. He did not interupt once and asked good questions. Furthermore the interview was almost 17 minutes long, including an audible sneeze right at the end. Is it possible that he and the PD are listening to some of us?

October 29, 2010 11:45 am

Helene Elliot is the same female reporter that was on McCown’s show a few years ago…………..McCown didn’t agree with some of the things she said and he didn’t like her argumentative style so he never had her on his show again…………and for several months after that appearance he dissed her on the air numerous times