Cabbie Out – More Changes At The Score

Cabral “Cabbie” Richards has left the building. Yes, Cabbie on the street is now on the endangered list at the Score as the changes just keep on rolling at the network. We’re told Cabbie has decided to leave the Score on his own.

This has to be a big loss for the folks at the Score. They promote the show as “Cabbie on the Street has become The Score’s most recognized program.”

When Steve Kouleas left The Score, Dowbiggin wrote:

“The evolution of The Score Network from a hard-core sports highlight provider to … well, something else, was confirmed this past week with the departure of Steve Kouleas, the network’s face of hockey the past 13 years. The 42-year-old and the network mutually agreed to see Kouleas and his high-energy style move on to new opportunities.”

So with Kouleas gone and now, Cabbie (The Score’s most recognized program) in addition to some key behind the scenes personnel, one has to come to the conclusion that things are either in flux or transition at the network.

Personally it’s hard to figure the Score out. From where I sit, and my office is really close to theirs, it seems they are hell bent on some sort of digital strategy. They have a great app in the market but little else to support it. Having the app is good (and their’s is awesome) but you can’t keep letting talent walk out the door and not replace it.

I don’t know their official demographic but they seem to be very popular with a younger group, the type that are active in social media. That’s great. However at the end of the day, they still remain a television network. TSN and Sportsnet are becoming more and more similar with each and every day. There is an opportunity for different, a space between rogers10 and the two market leaders. For whatever reason it just seems that the Score can’t seem to get there.

CRTCrazy
CRTCrazy
November 23, 2010 10:09 pm

Couldn’t disagree more, Cabbie and his show have become stagnant.  The Score is moving towards something different in the television market, but what that is exactly is up for interpretation at this point.
They’ve got a helluva stable of bloggers and web personalities there, and I think what they’re doing is blazing a trail for Canada’s other sports networks… at least in terms of web content.

Best of luck to Cabbie, though.  He was one of the most refreshing personalities this country has seen on television.  I’m sure he’s got something lined up.

sadday
sadday
November 23, 2010 10:29 pm

wow crtcrazy is crazy !!!

cabbie was the star of the score … got those awesome interviews all the time … i really wish Tsn or Sports net give him a show ! i loved Nba court surfing also !

his k.bryan interviews were Classics … i never saw kobe so chill lol

Jay Tubay
Jay Tubay
November 23, 2010 10:30 pm

Cabbie is going to clean Kobe`s house in Los Angeles and sleep with Vanessa. I`m jealous.

Mike
Mike
November 23, 2010 11:06 pm

Stagnant doesn’t just describe Cabbie, that’s the channel as a whole.

They may have some good bloggers on the website but 1) that’s not a huge money maker in the grand scheme of things and 2) The Score doesn’t have a lot of leverage in keeping them around. It’s not hard to leave, set up a website and write your own stuff. That’s where they all came from. Harder to do when you’re a TV personality.

TSM said it, at the end of the day The Score is a TV sports network. Sports networks need TV content and The Score has very little to offer.

-Serie A but no EPL anymore, lost those games to Sportsnet who sub licensed them to TSN.
– Court Surfing but no Raptors games or TNT Thursdays, lost those games to Sportsnet.
– OUA football but no Vanier Cup or Mitchell Bowl, lost them to TSN
– Thursday night NCAA Football, usually featuring mediocre teams
– NCAA March Maddness
– Horse Racing
– WWE
– generic poker and MMA shows

And that’s it. Not a single thing that is really going to draw a crowd to your channel, save for maybe the Final Four games at the end of MM. Whatever The Score used to have as leftovers is quickly being bought back by the big boys for TSN2 and SN1. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they lost March Maddness and the OUA package next year. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was no more The Score on TV in 3 years.

pudge72
pudge72
November 23, 2010 11:38 pm

The Score’s lack of identity is maddening as it has the potential to be great niche broadcaster within the sports TV market. It’s less corporate vibe is appreciated at times and I always turn to them first for their ticker information. As well, its’ nice that they actually give a crap about the CIS, (which I appreciate as a Western Ontario alum).

The loss of Cabbie is significant as, despite being chronologically beyond their target demo, I enjoyed his work as it is unique and entertaining without being overly cheesey.

Chris F.
Chris F.
November 24, 2010 12:14 am

Cabbie has gotten a bit stale but he was very refreshing. I wouldn’t be surprised if he somehow turned up on US TV at some point.

The Score is frustrating as all heck. There was that “little engine that could” quality about the network for a long time but now it’s completely lost direction. I, too wouldn’t be surprised if it was no longer a network but rather I could see dedicated employers and such try to transform their solid website into a commercial site with the blogs being the main focus.

Jason
Jason
November 24, 2010 1:44 am

here’s another angle ..

he got a better paying job??

we all know sports media isn’t the most luxurious career paths..

sometimes you gotta move on to bigger and better things

Dok
Dok
November 24, 2010 8:28 am

I watch the score for Poker and WWE, but I get most of my Score content from the Sirius Channel and Podcasting. Shows like ‘The Morning Jones” and “Sid and Tim Uncut” gets me through my day at work in podcast form. If they could just dump Mauro Rinallo, I would be 100% score

November 24, 2010 6:37 pm

I can’t comment much on the website or the podcasts but The Score television station is a train wreck right now……………I used to watch that channel quite a bit and now I almost never watch.

The hockey show that was hosted by Kouleas was entertaining, especially the “10 Minute Misconduct” segments………….I also use to enjoy Sansone & Martine when they had a show on weeknights several years ago………….I don’t even watch the ticker on The Score much anymore because checking scores on the laptop is more convenient and gives more information

Andrew
Andrew
November 24, 2010 10:43 pm

I always enjoyed that NFL show they had on Friday nights with the Coach and the Bear and previews of each game. Since they stopped that – why? – the only time I ever watch is when they have soccer content like The Footy Show. (Their Serie A games are not live until CIS ends).

Years ago I loved their Sportsworld program and rather liked the nightly chat show The Score Tonight with Greg Sansone and Martine Gaillard. They’ve had a lot of good shows on small budgets throughout the years but they come and go. Change can be good but the channel could do with some continuity from year to year.

FMT
FMT
November 25, 2010 12:04 am

I’m not a big fan of Cabbie but my nephews are huge fans of his, I mean if he’s on TV they always want me to keep it on so they can watch,

I actually like the Score employees a lot more than the other networks, the guys on the other networks I can never really connect with and seem to be just readers and not much more. I give credit to the Score to actually try to make their own programing something that TSN and SN hasn’t done, which I am very critical of them because of it.

I think the Score on the NFL is a very solid program and their footy show brings something that the other networks don’t do, their new current sports stories show 24/30 is something the major networks should have done a long time ago, but they didn’t bother and just rather grab shows from south of the border instead of making their own.

Greg Sansone is great (also liked the Martine combo back in the day), so is Tim and Sid. I could do without Cam, but in a limited role he’s okay. The 24/30 show I would suggest maybe rotating hosts. They don’t have much sports content (I do like their NCAA football Thursday game, but even that SN1 and I think TSN2 has some Saturday games, which I think the Score is shut out but do have a ESPN pre show) I think the Score do more with less, hired guys I think are multi-talented. Too bad they don’t have the money to really push with live sports content but the talent roster I will put against other stations. Oh and their plays of the week are always solid because of the voice over of Sid and Tim.

Michael
Michael
November 26, 2010 12:54 pm

I not an overall huge fan of the Score but I really love their soccer coverage. ‘Fifa World Cup Tonight’ was a great example of this. The hosts, who also do ‘The Footy Show’ tv and podcasts are great (minus Seixeiro). I also check out their blog several times a day.

David Morrison
December 6, 2010 3:23 am

Score is the best sports channel out there. Best highlights and understanding of sports in general. Watch highlights from a TSN football package or the same highlights on the score. Score will be way better … its the best channel for sports out there in Canada.

Joe Mayo
Joe Mayo
December 15, 2010 10:14 pm

Cabbie is leaving to do entertainment for a Canadian-based network (think eTalk, ET Canada).

As for The Score’s directional shift, they seem to believe their place is as a global online sports leader (everything there now is converged on all platforms, The Basketball Jones, etc.), and they are partially correct in the sense that a Canadian cable channel is somewhat limiting.
Whether this works for them is another story.

Trev Relish
Trev Relish
January 28, 2011 1:39 pm

Cabbie’s act was over a long time ago! Never liked any of his roles they were little to do with sports or the athletes but were more about HIM. Strange though because the score has chosen(lost) the direction of developing sportscasters and characters rather than content. There was a time when they cocentrated on sports highlights and content Now the Score TV is never on my channel surf I’d rather not watch a contest on the next sportscaster lol just silly..I mean who cares.

Pasta
Pasta
February 9, 2011 11:14 am

When Richard Garner was at the helm, things were moving in the right direction. The Score was an interactive based TV network but I guess that idea didnt’ make money cause people were too dumb to watch cause they were sucked into the TSN vacuum.

Now that Sansone is in charge, you can see he don’t know what the hell he is doing. He may have some deep analysis of sports, but he aint no programer.

TEXT TV was a great addition to the channel no matter how silly the comments from viewers were, “go Leafs” but at least viewers had a chance to display what they were thinking instead of just listening to some hack telling us what they think.

WWE is a joke, who the hell watches that crap. NBA? enough said. Repeat soccer games? NCAA football/basketball, ya that’s good. Repeat poker? etc.

This station has lost its identity, they need personalities not content. Who listens to those hacks over at The Hockey Network?

Garner had something but lost it? partly because of the morons in Canada that swallowed the TSN pill & are now addicted to their garbage.

Fare the well Cabbie, my good friend, but now we have to live with Gerry Dee???

Dok
Dok
February 9, 2011 7:02 pm

Who watches WWE? A whole bunch of people, giving The Score the highest ratings it gets in the week, same way that it was the highest ratings that on a week to week basis that TSN had before it left (TSN wanted to keep RAW but with Monday night football it wasn’t going to be live and that was a deal breaker)

The Score needs to go more the way of it’s Sirius radio channel irreverent and fun, not so much on the X and O’s

Trevor
Trevor
June 21, 2012 1:13 pm

Does Greg Sansone actually know anything about sports? His opinions remind me of a person with strong points of view on subjects with which he is very unfamiliar.

Is he just a fortunate person in a fortunate position? Nobody would hire that guy for his views or commentary. Cam seems like the Donald Trump in comparison to Sansone who seems like a guy with a little crappy fixer-upper for sale when it comes to sports knowledge.

Get rid of Sansone and bring back Sarah and the little guy with the knit hat that used to swear a lot.