Ever Wonder What Radio Hosts Do On Air?

Thanks to Daniel for pointing this out, but for those of you who ever wondered what radio hosts are doing while they are on the air……

Well, now we know what Bob Mccown is reading while he is on the air!

November 29, 2010 10:18 pm

Hah! Yeah, I was clicking around The Fan website while procrastinating from work today, and that caught my eye. Looked oddly familiar!

McCown’s got to do the Pressbox now, huh?

Chris F.
Chris F.
November 30, 2010 1:14 am

Wow that’s neat!

Bob probably secretly geeks out over this site….or maybe he just comes here for the bikini OTD LOL 🙂

November 30, 2010 7:58 am

Hi Bob. Please consider a little less banter and a little more interviewing with your weekly regular guests. Your interviews with the paid experts (Shulman, Banks, Hiestand, etc.) have a tendency to begin with several minutes of shooting the breeze about some unrelated topic, and this leads to less time for questions to which an expert could provide “inside” answers. This somewhat defeats the purpose – for the listener at least – of having these people on.

thanks for reading Bob.

p.s. it’s a shame they are forcing you to promote Krystal’s show by having him on for a segment every now and then. it must suck to have your brand exploited by such an inferior product.

Raptors Devotee
November 30, 2010 10:07 am

Just thought I would throw the following job posting I found for a Morning Show Producer at the FAN. I don’t even know who was doing it before, so if anybody can shed some light on this i.e. was the morning show producer there for Stellick/Landry and continued on under Krystal and either left on their own or was fired, or is it someone new hired for the Krystal show who has left on their own or was fired?

Here is the posting from the Media Job Search Canada website:

THE FAN 590
Morning Show Producer – The FAN590 (Toronto)
Location: Toronto / GTA, Ontario
Category: Radio
Website: http://www.fan590.com
Job Code: N/A
Date Posted: Nov 29, 2010

Tags: Morning Show, Producer, Sports, Radio,

The FAN 590 in Toronto is searching for our next superstar Morning Show Producer.

The successful candidate will be working a dream job – as an integral part of an already brilliant on-air and behind the scenes team in Canada’s biggest sports city.

If you’ve got what it takes……….we want to hear from you.

Responsibilities:

Book outstanding guests and schedule great interviews
Organize and maintain the show plan on a daily and weekly basis
An impressive rolodex would be an asset
Prepare cover sheets and background notes for show
Collaborate with other producers on story development and dialogue
Update interactive content hourly – blogging, facebook, twitter, video, pictures etc.
Generate unique ideas and assist in execution
Be an integral part of the Morning Show behind the scenes
Manage daily morning show meetings
Technical production as required
Make public appearances
Commercial production when required
Call screening during show

Qualifications:

Minimum 3 years of comparable experience
Insatiable curiosity and winning spirit
Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills
Passionate, detail oriented and goal oriented
Able to work under pressure and with tight deadlines
Self-motivated and able to take direction
Thorough understanding of The FAN 590 format
Must be able to relate to, and embrace the sports lifestyle
Technical ability to edit sound
Ability to research story ideas
Web and social media savvy

To apply for this position, please visit our “Carees Portal” and search for Job #22244

Rogers is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

The future is exciting and Rogers is leading the way.

Canadians count on Rogers to keep them in touch with those who matter most to them – whether at their desk, on the couch, or on the go. As Canada’s telecommunications leader, we keep everyone informed, connected and entertained, with our exciting array of products and services. Our drive to provide the latest and most innovative products ensures that our customers enjoy unmatched convenience, reliability, and flexibility. Rogers continues to set the pace by investing in our networks, platforms, products and people. Are you ready for a high-energy career that feeds your enthusiasm? Join us now.

Application Deadline: Dec 9, 2010

We thank all applicants who respond, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.

Please mention that you saw this Ad on MJSC, Thanks.

Dileno
Dileno
November 30, 2010 11:21 am

The morning show producer had been Jeff Sammit – for both Landry & Stellick and Jeff Lumby, then when AK started. Didn’t realize he had left, but come to think of it he had not been heard on air recently. I guess no more “Vito from Woodbridge”

Raptors Devotee
November 30, 2010 11:33 am

Thanks for the update Dileno. I don’t think it would be much of a reach to conclude that Krystal’s abrasive style led directly to Sammit saying “enough is enough” and departing. Factor in Kollins lack of leadership and transparency and his managing style, or lack thereof, and no wonder they are now searching for a replacement.

The two management style’s of Millman and Kollins could not be at more opposite spectrums, so it must have been a complete shock for Sammit to go from one to the other and he likely felt that it just was not worth it.

I did not mention it before, but Mike (Boston) did about McCown being a shill for Krystal. As a listener, I find it completely off-putting, so I can only imagine how much crow McCown has swallowed himself in doing so.

I can only draw one conclusion, and it is this. McCown is in it for the $ (no real surprise there) but when his contract is due I can easily see him departing.

November 30, 2010 12:47 pm

RD – I don’t know anything about the situation, but I find it hard to believe a producer would quit a job because he finds the hosts on air persona to be too abrasive. For all we know, he prefers it. From what I’ve heard of Jeff Sammut, he’s not exactly Matt Galloway.

November 30, 2010 1:59 pm

As far as I know Sammut is still employed by 590……………..he was on the air this past Saturday night in between Stellick’s Leafs pre-game show and post-game show.

It will never happen, but if they brought back Stellick after firing him then they should bring back Brian Angus for the morning show producer job…………..he did it for many years so he has the experience…………..maybe he could grab Krystal by the throat and get him to behave like a human being

Chris F.
Chris F.
November 30, 2010 3:03 pm

Mike S. I think Angus, as great as he is as a producer (and trust me I never knew how good he was til he was forced out) I don’t think even he, can do anything with Krystal. AK’s ego is such that even if the format of the morning show was changed a bit and better guests came on he’d still do his crap.

Oh and did anyone listen this morning? “I believe Ron Wilson is professionally dead man walking” is now ingrained in my brain. Krystal said that at LEAST 40+ times this morning like a damn broken record. If I were Dunleavy i’d have yelled “STFU KRYSTAL” then storm out of the studio.

So frustrating…..

Rick
Rick
November 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Jeff is employed by the FAN. Working mornings and trying to work late nights at the same time doesn’t work. Getting him off the morning frees him up to do other stuff later in the day. It’s been talked about for over 6 months.

Rob
Rob
December 1, 2010 1:33 am

Regardless it seems that the team of Lajoie, Seixseiro, Sammut, etc. has been getting less air time as of late. I haven’t heard Farraway on there in a hosting capacity in a long time…but then I’m only listening from 2:30 or 3:00 until 6:00 most days and sometimes in the evenings.

And everyone has to go to the Fan website and listen to Berger’s interview with Wilson. This one is classic, as Howard serves up a “You must hear the rumours about your job” and Wilson comes back with a “Of course I know about them, you bring it up every God Damned Day”.

Link is here: