Toronto Sports Media Power Rankings – Television

So as the year comes to an end we are going to be awarding the first ever Toronto Sports Media MSMer of the year. As we get to that, I thought it made sense to at least do it properly. So, I polled industry types to come up with the nominees and the eventual winner. What resulted was a monster list of MSMers that I have brought down to a more reasonable list.

Because it is however the holiday season, I thought I would take a couple of days and break the master list down by type of medium and present the TSM Power Rankings by field. Today we look at the top Toronto MSMers on TV as voted on by a collection of fans, media types, advertising gurus and other industry “types”:

First from the the CBC:

Elliott Friedman
Jeff Marek
Pierre LeBrun
Ron Maclean
Don Cherry

From the Raptors/Sportsnet (only on Raptors Side)

Jack Armstrong

Gord Miller
Jennifer Hedger
Rod Black
Dave Hodge
Pierre McGuire
Gino Reda

From The Score (keeping in mind they were there most of the year)

Cabbie
Steve Kouleas

So there is the list as voted on for the MSMer of the year from the print category. Who’s missing, who’s on that shouldn’t be?

Tomorrow we will do Radio

@yyzsportsmedia

December 17, 2010 10:14 pm

Duthie gets my vote here.

He was amazing at the Olympics………..he was paired with someone (Lisa Laflamme) who is a good broadcaster but knows very little about sports and he handled it with ease.

He spent many consecutive hours on the air hosting TSN’s trade deadline and free agent shows and he was flawless

He is an excellent host of the NHL on TSN (and World Juniors too)…………..his sense of humour is great and his knowledge is impressive

He is even entertaining on Twitter, although he doesn’t use it all that often

johannesgutenberg
johannesgutenberg
December 18, 2010 2:13 am

Arash Madani – Sportsnet. Along with Friedman, they are the only 2 true TV sports journalists in this country.

Chris F.
Chris F.
December 18, 2010 7:20 am

Doug Maclean and Kypreos shouldn’t even be near a list like this. I’m a bit surprised that Landsberg made the list. It just seems to me that OTR has become pretty much irrelevant these days.

Mackenzie and Dreger are definitely worthy and I agree with Mike about Duthie. He has worked very hard to be in the position that he is today.

gunner44
gunner44
December 18, 2010 7:58 am

Wow that is quite a list!And true there are a few names that are not worthy of being on the list.
Some just do not get the air time they deserve(Elliott Friedmann)Is a talent that CBC continues to under use!He asks thoughtfull question and does great in depth interviews.The only time The Hot Stove is worth watching is when he is on.
So that is the reason i have to go with James Duthie as well.He is humorous enough doing his work on TSN and his work during the Olympics was very good.

I know they are not Canadian but they are on TSN and TSN2. Mike Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser are the best in my books!Funny, insulting and insightfull all at the same time They are by far the best team on Canadian tv!
And Kornheiser does say “good night Canada” at the end of every show!So they do deserve honorable mention!

December 18, 2010 5:55 pm

Its funny I’m not nearly as intereted in the TV personalities as the guys from radio and print. Not sure why.

I think Buck Martinez should be on the list. Jamie Campbell is good as a studio host, but sounded truly amateur as a play by play man (imo). Martinez hugely raised the quality of Jays TV broadcasts this year.

Having said that, I’d probably vote for Friedman. He’s great on CBC, and I wish the Fan could find a way to give him a show.

Steve
Steve
December 18, 2010 11:28 pm

What about Gareth Wheeler? I actually get quite a kick out of watching the Grill Room at the end of the night (when the Colbert show is weak).

pudge72
pudge72
December 19, 2010 1:12 pm

For me, this list should be cut down to three people:

James Duthie for the reasons articulated by Mike S.

Bob McKenzie edges out Darren Dreger as a single sport personality because his presentation skills are superior to Dreger’s…the two are a wash when it comes to consistently high quality information and analysis.

Elliott Friedman for his work on CBC TV, plus his blogs (especially his ’30 Thoughts’) on cbc.ca

Arash Madhani deserves an ‘honourable mention’ as he seems to be a solid personality in the making.

dsscpu
dsscpu
December 20, 2010 2:09 am

I would scratch Landsberg and Rob Black off the list. Neither has done much for me in a long time, especially Black who makes me mute the TV when he is on. I find it amazing how strong the TSN list is though, I would rate all of them over many in the competition.

Steven
Steven
December 20, 2010 12:02 pm

Here are my thoughts:
1. Arash Madani does seem under rated. Could easily be on the list
2. A lot of the hockey guys are pretty much the same deal. Dreger, Maceznie etc.
3. Friedman is by far the most over rated. His interviews are weak at best. Players seem to hate talking to him. He should be eliminated from list.
4. Duthie is the most entertaining and did a great job at the Olympics. He should win.