Changes At 640 Toronto

Sources are telling us at this hour that Bill Hayes is no longer with 640 Toronto.

Details to follow….

January 4, 2011 6:39 pm

Wow.

I wonder if this means 640 is going to hire a big gun to go with Watters and make a new run at McCown? Or maybe it’s the beginning of the end of the Watters Show, and they’re going to move toward news/talk.

Considering Watters age, the fact that the show never made a huge move on McCown, and the cancellation of Leafs Lunch, it could be the latter.

FMT
FMT
January 4, 2011 6:50 pm

Which Hayes is that? There is the guy who worked with Watters or the guy who did the evening show (that I think never been mentioned on here)

Stephen from Waterloo
Stephen from Waterloo
January 4, 2011 7:12 pm

Hate to see any less sports content on the radio in TO.

While I am guilty of not listening to Waters as much as the FAN590, I still LIKE having a choice.

Chris F.
Chris F.
January 4, 2011 10:16 pm

I’m guessing this means Son of Hayes’ days are numbered unless I missed something that said he’s gone too.

January 4, 2011 10:20 pm

Bill Hayes’ name has been taken off the 640 website so TSM is right once again…………Son of Hayes was supposed to be on at 7:00 tonight but they ended up replaying Wilbur’s show instead………..however his name is still on the website.

It is amazing how much turnover there has been on 590 and 640 in the last 9 months or so…………..Hogan, Landry, Millard, Smith, Armstrong, Dreger, and now Hayes are all gone from their weekday shows……………guys like Blair and Krystal have their own shows now…………Stellick gets fired and then re-hired for a lesser timeslot………….and Brady switches teams (not that there’s anything wrong with that, as Seinfeld would say)

Julian
Julian
January 4, 2011 10:37 pm

Yuck. Can’t say I was a fan of Bill Hayes. But from all accounts, a superb guy. Was he safe on Derringer’s show before moving to Watters? This makes me think his role had become redundant in mornings, and this was a last-ditch effort when Brady left to make him earn a sizable paycheque, and given the massive dropoff in ratings for the Watters Show, I guess they gave up.

It’s too bad, but I never thought he was the right person for that spot, but I’d also advocate to younger broadcasters that the Watters Show ain’t exactly what you should be getting hooked up with right now.

Dying show, fading broadcaster in Wilbur, out of contract in just over a year and the likely possibility of losing the Leafs rights, with or without Rogers buying MLSE. I wouldn’t move a family here to take that job, let’s put it that way. Not exactly safe terrain, and you also have to carry Watters on your back.

I couldn’t pinpoint when it happened but as irascible as Bill was, he didn’t just repeat the same things over and over again, fall short of remembering the simplest things. I thought he and Brady had a superb show their first year together or so, like just past the time Burke got hired, and then in the last several months, Brady just started running laps around him, not on purpose, but Watters just was so out of touch. 640 should eat the contract now, rather than keeping a show on that can’t possibly grow audience. Why not build for the future. They tried, succeeded for a while and now the battle’s lost.

Either go with young sports guys in that slot (which may have been the plan before Brady left and after Watters “retires”) or get another Oakley or Stafford-type. I’ve suggested before Toronto could have 2 sports radio stations, but think about it, as much as we’d like the options, it is clearly real hard to find the talent. Guys like McCown (we’ll never see another dominant force like him) or Brady (640 should back up the truck and make him an offer to come back) who can carry shows and mix so well with others and talk all sports in a Leafs/hockey-dominated town are few and far between. That’s just a fact.

Mike S is right about the turnover. It’d be interesting to start a 2011 Radio/TV Predictions Thread. Maybe TSM can start that off with a few things he thinks will happen. I for one, think the Fan will change their morning show certainly by September, but the replacements won’t come from within. I also think Dan Dunleavy will get an NHL play-by-play job. His call is that good. If the Leafs move to Rogers, I could see firing Bowen and hiring him on the radio side anyway.

January 5, 2011 3:15 am

I’ll predict that 640 will drop the Watters show in 2011, and replace it with news/talk. Are the Leaf radio rights up this summer? If so, I could see the Fan snapping that up if they can make it work financially (and if Rogers buys the team, then it’s pretty much a certainty).

And I’ll predict the announcement of a 2nd all sports station in Toronto, why not? Either CTV turns 1050 into TSN radio, or The Fan looks to preempt that by adding a second station in the market (The Team in Vancouver has done this – airs syndicated stuff and play by play on the second frequency).

I would welcome an alternative to The Fan, but I’m not really sure what TSN Radio would offer. National sports radio really failed on The Team… and as Julian said, it’s pretty hard to find good sports radio talent. I’m not sure who they’d find that would be all that much better than McCown or Brady…or even Blair. I’m not sure the TSN on air talent would have all that much time to host radio shows.