Saturday Roundup

Little TSM had an early hockey game this morning, so when we got home I got to catch a rare Sportsnet Connected morning. I have to admit, I thought I had gone through a time warp as the voice I kept hearing sounded like Mike Toth. I text messaged a few people to see if I was victim to someone messing with the flux capacitor or if, gulp Toth had been re-hired.

I was told that tremendously annoying voice I was hearing, with the incredibly lame colloquialisms was Vancouver’s Don Taylor. I am not sure if you have heard this guy, but he is really weak. Let’s hope he stays out on the left coast.

I am hearing from a few good sources by the way that the Fan 590 could eventually be re-branded something along the lines of Sportsnet Radio. With all the changes at the house that Ted built, nothing seems entirely impossible.

Don Cherry ripped the Russian juniors for getting hammered. Is that really the best he can do? Talk about someones 15 minuted being way overdue.

So if I didn’t hate the Ottawa Senators enough already, I ask you this: Steve Simmons suggests that Pierre Mcguire could be the next Sens GM. Question is, do I like the Sens more for taking Mcguire off the TV and radio or hate them even more?

Happy Sunday

@yyzsportsmedia

January 8, 2011 11:52 pm

I am a fan of Don Taylor………..he has a lost of sports knowledge and he has a good sense of humour………….in addition to being on Sportsnet he is the co-host (with David Pratt) of the afternoon radio show on TEAM 1040 in Vancouver…………their show is very popular………….I think it might even get higher ratings (share, not total audience) than McCown

After attending very few road games this season (because of cutbacks) does anyone know why Howard Berger is covering the Leafs’ west coast trip this week?…………..it must be because his in-laws live in L.A. so he has a free place to stay

January 9, 2011 1:21 am

Sportsnet Radio? Ugh. No way.

Sportsnet would be better off changing it’s name to ‘Fan TV’ (a joke. I know that wouldn’t actually happen). The Fan is a much more respected brand, in my opinion.

LT
LT
January 9, 2011 8:15 am

While I agree that Mcguire’s commentary can be over the top, I think his game analysis is far better than most. Am I alone?

Stephen from Waterloo
Stephen from Waterloo
January 9, 2011 4:49 pm

I miss my kid’s hockey, but I don’t miss those “early” week-end games!

Steve-O
January 10, 2011 10:31 am

LT: I’m a big fan of McGuire for his enthusiastic and knowledgeable game analysis. I’m not sure of the continued dislike of him. My question to those people is that if you don’t like McGuire, then who do you like?

As for Berger, if found it funny that Gord Stellick was previewing the Atlanta game with Berger on the LA Freeway.

James
James
January 10, 2011 12:04 pm

I used to not mind McGuire very much either, and actually almost all of my buddies love his commentary for some reason. But eventually, if you think about it he says a lot of really stupid things.

About half of the ridiculous hockey lexicon (phrases like “puck-presence”) is a direct result of McGuire. Also stating the obvious more often than not. He does however present in a very entertaining and watchable fashion, hence his popularity (in my opinion).

Rob
Rob
January 10, 2011 1:13 pm

Don Taylor is another embarrassment for SN. (…sense of humour??). His radio show with Pratt sounds like community college radio – When he makes it to National TV it looks like he’s doing the show from his basement (so bush league). And he does remind me of Toth who was equally as irritating and thankfully gone…he’s (Taylor has) been doing that late night thing for sportsnet for a while, but he is not on in Ontario as often lately.

I hope the staff changes at SN bring better on air staff. Currently the 2 women are their only good (professional) on air talent

Rob
Rob
January 10, 2011 1:18 pm

McGuire and Miller both talk way too much. Cuthbert and Ray Ferraro are far superior – at least much easier to listen to – and Ferraro doesn’t take himself so seriously as McGuire does, he just does his job. McGuire acts like he invented the game and i think that irks all his detractors. He won’t be missed by me if he leaves for a GMs job. Hiring him will be a questionable move by Melnyk…but then he’s never made anything but questionable moves

Tabber
Tabber
January 10, 2011 7:07 pm

So people don’t like someone expressing an opinion on TV (McGuire), but have no hesitation in expressing their own on him. Hmm. If you want difficut to listen to, you can keep Ferraro – I can’t stand the strained voice. I’m honestly surprised he hasn’t strained a vocal cord and gone on the DL with same. No-one can take that voice seriously, even himself. And do his job? Well, if that job is to annoy me into turning the channel, yes, he does a perfect job. To think that McGuire acts as if he invented the game – oops, sorry, did he steal your schtick? So many people that post seem to think they invented hockey and no-one else even has the right to commentate. If the shoe fits, boys, wear it! People other than you all do have better ways of expressing their opinions, and greater knowledge than you have displayed in all your born years – combined!

Pudge72
Pudge72
January 12, 2011 10:08 am

I actually like McGuire’s work most of the time. He brings John Madden’s level of enthusiasm for the sport he covers, while (unlike Madden) actually providing coherent and informative commentary.

I will agree that he does bring a little too much, what I assume is, scouting jargon to the broadcasts as I sometimes don’t understand what exactly a particular term may refer to. He could stand to utilize a mute switch for about 10% of the time.

All in all, I prefer him over most colour commentators that are utilized on hockey broadcasts.