Is Mike Richards Headed To Toronto Sports Radio?

Quick hit of the morning, but multiple sources are telling me that Mike Richards, from Sportsnet Radio 960 Calgary has left the station. While I have yet to get official word, this certainly seems to be the case. Richards was apparently among those targeted for the Fan 590 morning slot that is now held by Andrew Krystal. If Richards has indeed left 960, one has to think that there is a direct correlation to all the craziness that has been going on over the last couple of months here. If he’s left one has to think that he is either headed to the Sportsnet’s Fan 590 Toronto OR to the eventual TSN Radio either here in Toronto or out in Calgary.

Stay tuned.

@yyzsportsradio

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 37
  • comment-avatar
    Raptors Devotee 8 years ago

Krystal supposedly signed a 3 year extension, so maybe we can trade Richards straight up for him? Wishful thinking. I have totally tuned out Krystal, and btw, it does suck that I can’t listen to Roenick who is awesome because he is only on the air with Krystal. It looks like 2011 is going to have lots of twist and turns for us, just like 2010.

James 8 years ago

Good god I hope that this somehow ends up with Richards being brought in to replace Krystal.

I for one have personally been adamant that there is no way Pelley etc. would allow a 3 year deal for Krystal, and I pray that this could possibly be a sign he is on the way out.

Seriously, I want my morning radio show back.

(I pretend that they just don’t have one right now)

Right now I listen to podcasts* of other shows exclusively in the morning.

*podcasts notably represent pretty much zip as a revenue stream (without commercials)

• comment-avatar

Richards was good doing comedy on the fan way back when Derringer was there. I loved it in small doses and with a cast of personalities who can each contribute something…I have listened to his solo show on Podcast I found he didn’t have enough to say on his own and was trying to hard to be funny all the time.

What if he’s being brought in to partner with Krystal? I can see blood on the floor…(Is he at a Rogers Station out there? He would not resign if coming to the Fan590, would he?)

James 8 years ago

I’m not sure if this is enough to go on Rob, but since TSM wrote “left” and not resigned it is open to clarification what exactly this means.

But from the rest of the post I got the impression this wasn’t him resigning per se. Just left his position there (either on his own OR to being re-assigned to another one possibly).

That’s what I am hoping at least.

dsscpu 8 years ago

Per Dowbiggin, Richards has agreed to do the morning show on TSN Radio – Toronto… Big pickup for TSN Radio, as I’d say they are going to take the lead in the morning drive now…

dsscpu 8 years ago

James – He ‘left’ because his contract expired and he was working without one.

dsscpu 8 years ago

And now its official, he is gone…

“We regrettably announce that Mike Richards has resigned from Sportsnet Radio – FAN 960.

Richards is returning to Toronto effective immediately to continue his career and be with his wife and son.”

It is also up on the Fan 960 Twitter…

Chris F. 8 years ago

Well if he’s gone to the new TSN Radio I will finally have something to listen to regularly in the morning!

• comment-avatar

Sportsnet Radio – FAN 960 would like to thank Mike Richards for his over six years of great humor, creativity and radio within Calgary and its surrounding areas. We sincerely wish him well in his future endeavors.

Please direct any questions, comments and concerns to Sportsnet Radio – FAN 960 Programming.

Kelly Kirch
    Program Director
    Sportsnet Radio – FAN 960
    kelly.kirch@rci.rogers.com

mike (in boston) 8 years ago

this is pretty big. It seems, depending on who you believe, Richards was either skipped in favour of Krystal or he turned down an offer and Krystal was #2. to have them go head to head would be a significant turn of events, especially given the trainwreck that AK in the morning has become.

while TSN RADIO won’t be able to compete with PTS right away, if they are able to control the morning slot this will have positive spillover effects on their other time slots. The FAN has built up considerable ill-will with its audience recently, and many people are just itching for the opportunity to switch.

TSM, will TSN’s relationship with ESPN give them exclusivity with ESPN personalities as guests? A significant number of the regular guests on PTS are from ESPN (Schulman for example), and it would be a pretty big loss if they all switch over the TSN RADIO.

• comment-avatar

If he is going to TSN Radio – then that’s stunning.

This could REALLY be a blunder for Kollins. Richards had the top sports radio morning show in the country, and The Fan ended up with Krystal. I don’t hate Krystal, I think he’s entertaining, but he is really not ideal for sports radio.

If Richards already has the formula figured out, he could really destroy The Fan.

It makes you wonder – what was Richards demanding? Why didn’t The Fan pony up for him? I bet they really regret it now.

I wonder if TSN will go after guys like Hogan, Stellick or Stormin Norman?

Gunnar (in Calgary) 8 years ago

The Fan 960 is going straight down hill now. Richards was the anchor and the rest of the fools here won’t be able to carry his weight. They barely compare to his knowledge of sports or his personality.
    You lucky bunch of ba**ards in the east better appreciate him.

IronHorseman 8 years ago

Aach!! No more Fake Jim Rome, No more fake Victor Newman! This is a HUGE loss for Calgary morning sports radio. I hope Calgary will somehow get Richards’ new radio show. Since Sportsnet took over the Fan 960 in Calgary, the station has gone downhill rapidly. What’s next, Peter Marr “leaving”? Rob Kerr has always done a good job later in the day.

Chris F. 8 years ago

Sadly I think with TSN’s relationship with ESPN you could see a lot of the PTS regulars taken away. I would HOPE that maybe some will be able to be on Bob’s show still but I doubt it.

As for bringing in former FAN personalities. I think that’s a great way to get some people to tune into the TSN Radio other than the brand recognition. That was the problem with The Team when it tried to compete against the Fan. They had generally good people on the air but none of them had a ton of sports radio experience and/or were too well known for their TV work. It didn’t help that they had a huge hole in the mid-afternoon by simulcasting Jim Rome.

I’d love to see Stormin’ Norman back on terrestrial radio. Has anybody heard his satellite radio show? (I think he has one) If so, is he more free wheeling or still buttoned down and straight laced like he was on the Fan towards the end of his tenure?

Mike S 8 years ago

William Houston couldn’t have picked a worse time to abandon his sports media blog……………and the decision by the Toronto Star to dump Chris Zelkovich’s sports media column & blog isn’t looking too good either

Great point, Mike S..

Pat MaGroin 8 years ago

let’s settle down girls…
    nothing set in stone…just rumors..
    BUT anybody other than cristal to be the only sports voice in the morning is a damm good thing

Pat MaGroin 8 years ago

sportsnet/590/fan/7/11/hasty market
    just hired D Cox…hummm
    Anyone on the planet not think he will co-host mornings??

Chris F. 8 years ago

Pat…Goodness I hope Cox doesn’t co-host in the mornings. One unbearable ego in the AM is enough for me!

Pudge72 8 years ago

If (and it’s a huge “if”) Dowbiggen’s assertion is correct, that Richards is heading to T.O. to do the morning show for TSN 1050, I will add 1050 as one of my AM pre-sets on my car radio tomorrow morning in celebration of having an actual sports morning show to listen to.

I will keep 590 as a pre-set for Blair…only for baseball items like the Jays apparently Trading the Untradeable Contract (V. Wells) to the Angels, Brady (definitely), and PTS (whenever Shannon is absent).

Pudge72 8 years ago

BTW, I agree with Raptors Devotee…I actually like JR on 590 on the odd occasion when I have accidently hit the 590 pre-set before 9 am…too bad he has been sucked into the black hole of entertainment that is “Krystal Nation” (I hate that term…except, as a baseball fan, I always thought that the Red Sox fans earned the privilege to use the moniker). 🙂

If it was indeed true that Richards was the first choice of Kollins, could this be “just cause” for Pelley et. al. to axe Kollins?

Adhish 8 years ago

Krystal and Cox in the morning will be a DISASTER. Programming for TSN radio:

Richards/Stellick- morning show
    Hogie middays
    Dreger/Mcguire – Hockey show
    Bill Watters 1-4pm
    Bob Mccown- Afternoon drive?

Bye bye Kollins ad Fan 590

MediaMan 8 years ago

Bob McCowan must be sitting back and laughing. His next contract decides who wins.

Pudge72 8 years ago

McCown has seemingly ramped up the number of on-air references to his contract this week. Coincidence?…

Adhish, your TSN line-up would be solid. I could see Steve Kouleas, if given radio responsibilities in addition to his nightly hockey program on TSN, do an evening block (say 7 to 9 or 10 pm, assuming an 11 pm slot for the TV show) that would could be “on-the-fly” coverage of the evening hockey schedule. Instead of Watters, I would think that TSN could go with a radio host with a Raptors affiliation (Jack Armstrong/Eric Smith?) since they have a big chunk of Raptors TV broadcasts.

dsscpu 8 years ago

Mike S, look at who The Star decided to bring in today to do a freelance article for them on this topic… Zelk is back and he confirms Richard going to TSN… http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/926333–ground-shifting-as-broadcasters-brace-for-sports-war

On a side note, did anyone here Bobcat on PTS today say cryptically that he expects the first (local) hour of the show to soon air on TV?

dsscpu 8 years ago

I think Jack Armstrong works for the Raptors/MLSE and not TSN or Sportsnet, which would leave him free to be on either-or station.

mike (in boston) 8 years ago

so Zelkovich claims that TSN RADIO will launch in April, which would coincide with the NBA and NHL playoffs, the start of the MLB and MLS seasons.

i expect that Globe writers Shoalts and Mirtle will be snapped up by TSN as regulars, Simmons from the Sun could host his own show, Arthur from the Post could easily handle a morning or mid afternoon slot, and i would also take a run at Wilner who may still be bitter about his mistreatment by the Kollins/Cito/Beeston.

• comment-avatar

The oddest part of the Zelkovitch story to me is his inclusion of CBC in the ever evolving landscape. I don’t know, maybe it’s just me but haven’t they become irrelevant to you. Am I the only one who really doesn’t care if they cover hockey at all anymore? I mean if the games are on I don’t really care who carries them.

mike (in boston) 8 years ago

CBC broadcasts over the air and reaches the several million Canadians who choose not to pay for cable.

i’m not making this argument, but one could claim that hockey is part of the country’s heritage and culture, and so the public broadcaster has a responsibility to provide all canadians with access to that culture. this would justify keeping it on free TV. the fact that it is a money maker for CBC helps this argument.

dsscpu 8 years ago

I think the CBC part of his story was what it said it was, that Shaw may be looking at getting into the Sports business as well and will probably partner with CBC to do so…

Mullah_Kintyre 8 years ago

I always liked Richards (do you remember his parodies of Dick Smyth’s commentaries?) on various Toronto area stations throughout the 1990s and early 2000s, and for the last few years I would listen to his Calgary show on the internet when I got the chance. In Toronto he bounced around, never lasting anywhere for more than about 18 months before the station would change format and/or clean house. I know that he mentioned repeatedly in Calgary he liked finally getting the chance to be the anchor guy on the morning show, as opposed to always being the cohost or bit player in Toronto. And he had also mentioned several times that he was attempting to get something on TV with Sportsnet West, which presumably never happened. The Dowbiggin article mentions getting “full creative control over his show” and also being on television with TSN, so maybe that’s something Rogers was unwilling to offer.

• comment-avatar

I hope CBC gets the Olympics back, at least CBC has people who KNOW Olympic sports to cover them because at least CBC covers these non-hockey sports during the season which TSN/SN ignore on the most sport. Hearing the likes of Jamie Campbell doing play by play for a sport that you know he knows nothing about was a disgrace for the athletes and the viewers who are into that sport.

I remember Richards a bit back in the day, he had some funny moments but never heard as a lead guy. Maybe he can do it? How about if TSN gets Jim Richards for RB and make Richards and Richards. But they both seem to be high on comedy so that might not work to well as it works better with a straight guy with a comedy person.

Steve 8 years ago

Good bye richards I for one will not miss you.your immature sense of humor gets old quick.way to go boom..keep up the good work.nice to hear relevant info from ALL the games around the nhl instead of mikes old tired bits

• comment-avatar

This is great! Mike is amazing, one of the very best in Sports radio. I listened to him lots in Calgary. He was way to good for the smaller Calgary market. Can’t wait to hear him on TO radio and kick butt!!!!1

Michael (in Calgary) 8 years ago

We in Calgary have already noticed since the change to Sportsnet and the departure of Mike Richards, we are not hearing the old stable of TSN personalities like Maguire, Dreger, Duthie, etc. I ownder if TSN has exclusions on these guys to not appear on the competitor’s stations. Miss those guys a lot.
    Godd thing we still hear Brunt… best commentator in sports today.

Dale Stuart 8 years ago

Where the hell is Richards? Tell whoever owns this station to get him back on the air. The morning show sucks without him. Whose ever doing the morning show now is booorrrrinngggg!!!

• comment-avatar

All I know is There will be alot more people in Calgary that are going to experience Country music for the first time. VOID is not the word !