TSN Radio

And there you go. TSN radio is official.

Little bit of a strange lineup, but let’s see where the dust settles.

Starting April 13:

Mike Richards in the am
Dan Patrick
Jim Rome
Drive Home Show

They’ve also added Argo football.

More later tonight!

@yyzsportsmedia

February 17, 2011 3:48 pm

As I said in the previous post…

I’m really surprised they’re going with syndicated programming all day. I can’t imagine that will challenge The Fan much during the day.

Not terribly impressed. Though I’m looking forward to Richards.

ron
ron
February 17, 2011 3:50 pm

isn’t it strange that ESPN isn’t going to be on SR Fan 590 then TSN Radio is all Fox Sports Radio.

Tweeter
Tweeter
February 17, 2011 3:51 pm

I know there are holes to fill, but Jim Rome and the Argos? Underwhelming to say the least! I guess I’ll be patient and wait, but this big announcement is *blechhh*

Pat MaGroin
Pat MaGroin
February 17, 2011 3:52 pm

Little bit strange lineup yes.
I guess they are just providing an alternative to All Day Hockey on Fan/590

Chris F.
Chris F.
February 17, 2011 3:55 pm

So anyone been a listener of Dan Patrick’s show? I mean as I said in the other thread I’ve heard his show is good but I really don’t know how good it is and the kind of format it takes.

Maybe i’ll have to find a stream online tomorrow.

Zeb
Zeb
February 17, 2011 3:59 pm

I wonder if Patrick and Rome are just placeholders until they get national voices lined up?

Does 1410 Vancouver become part of TSN radio, or does it stay the TEAM, or does all TEAM become TSN?

February 17, 2011 4:07 pm

I’m heard a bit of Dan Patrick’s show. It’s pretty good.

But, if The Team taught us anything…it’s that generally people will prefer to hear local sports talk.

To be honest, I will be happy to flip over and hear MLB/NBA talk when Blair/Brady are doing a bad topic or going overboard on hockey. But it doesn’t really seem like a serious challenge.

oldsalty
oldsalty
February 17, 2011 4:13 pm

Mike Richards turned down the Fan for this?

mario
February 17, 2011 4:20 pm

I have to agree with Daniel… going with syndicated programmimg through out the day wont cut it with me.. I have to believe Pellyand Rogers just will not sit back and do nothing….MLSE??? just wait and see..

Adhish
Adhish
February 17, 2011 4:33 pm

I am not a big fan of the syndicated programming. I can always listen to Rome on WGR if I wanted to, which I dont.
I guess I will listen to Richards in the morning, and then The Herd on ESPN radio, and then back to the Fan for the rest of the day (Hockey Central, Brady and then McCown) However if McCown jumps ship I will as well.

PBI
PBI
February 17, 2011 4:41 pm

I agree, tough to see this line-up making a dent into the Fan 590 right off the bat. I thought they’d at least have a midday hockey show with Kouleas hosting along with Dreger and Big head or something like that.

That is a skeletal line-up.

Mike
Mike
February 17, 2011 5:14 pm

Uggg is all I have to say to this. I don’t know who at TSN thought Jim Rome would work in Toronto but I can see him being jettison off this lineup faster than Krystal was.

Doug
Doug
February 17, 2011 5:15 pm

I look forward to Richards, but the rest of the lineup barring some sort of great drive home show is absolutely underwhelming for me. As a Ticat fan I don’t care about Argos rights. Syndicated Amercian sports radio frequently delves into college sports which I have little to no interest in.

Has anyone checked out the thread for this on TSN.ca the comments sound too postive it seems like they are not letting anything negative get through the moderators.

I’m just worried that the sports fan actually suffers from this as more and more of the limited sports journalism talent in Canada is isolated in either the Rogers or Globe Media tribes.

Tweeter
Tweeter
February 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Not one negative comment on the tsn website for this overall horrible lineup (Richards excepted). Of course, in 3 hours of posting the news, they have only a handful of comments, so they are obviously creatively editing. Wow, it’s like Fox news of Candian sports… show the comments that we want!

gerry
gerry
February 17, 2011 6:46 pm

I think putting Rome on from noon to 3pm is a great move. If Brady stays at that slot, I doubt anyone can come in to talk local as well as Greg and he can easily discuss national as well. Rome may get a different listener. Quite honestly I switch back and forth now from fan590 online and Jim Rome next door in detroit on the fan1130. I love competition, and I don’t feel the need to be loyal to only one station. I will listen to whichever topic is more interesting. As noted previously, the more competition, the better listening experience

That’s my take.

February 17, 2011 6:56 pm

these have to be placeholders until they get the kinks ironed out. the TEAM foundered due to their lack of local programming.

i could see them coasting with syndicated mid-day US programming through the summer and then doing a proper launch in the fall. it’s not the way i would have done it, but i reckon they have a long term strategy.

Dave
Dave
February 17, 2011 6:59 pm

Only thing missing is the Fabulous Sports Babe.

Rome
Rome
February 17, 2011 7:00 pm

Not really sure why they feel the need to make a lineup announcment now with only a single hiring.

I like Rome, never heard Patricks show (glad it’s now Cowherd) But having a couple of syndicated back to back block don’t think that will work out too well. The odd thing is that neither of these guys are on ESPN radio but currently with other syndicated radio networks. (even though Rome is on ESPN TV)

Looking at TSN radio section, the regular sports are featured in their poster, but also has UFC fighter on it, it might mean nothing but it could also be a push for something that the Fan590 mostly mocks and ignores. CFL switch isn’t that surprisng, the Arogs are pretty low in the importance list for TheFan but the CFL has a strong partnership with TSN. Also very recently TSNTV became MLS national braodcast for TFC and the new Vancouver team, I wonder if games will also be moved as well on the radio side. Is it pretty much as good as done with the Leafs switching over TSNradio

By the way hilarious Doug, there are like twenty replies on TSN comment section and not a single negative thing. It’s like brtual talk radio where everybody calls up agreeing with the host. But this means no more CP24 simulcast on 1050 where the tv anchor tells me to “look at this” while I am listening to it on the radio lol

Raptors Devotee
February 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Jim Rome? Jim Rome? Jim Rome, seriously, Jim Rome? This guy is as annoying as Krystal. I can’t stand his voice, his tone, the language he speaks in that certainly does not resemble the English language. Yech!

I caught Dan Patrick’s show driving back from Florida in December and was impressed. Tremendous radio skills, great voice, knowledge, so no worries there. I can just skip the College content when it gets too deep for me.

February 17, 2011 8:42 pm

I think Leaf rights all depend on whether Rogers buys MLSE or not.

If they do, I’m sure we’ll hear Leafs and Jays on The Fan…and The Fan will probably sell Raptor radio rights to TSN.

This lineup makes me wonder if we all sort of underestimated how difficult it is to create a good sports radio lineup for one station – nevermind two in the same market.

One look at the struggles The Fan has had in mornings should show us how few great options there are out there.

Dave
Dave
February 17, 2011 8:43 pm

come on BOB CAT jump to TSN. I think come september im sure Steve Koulias will have his own lunch hour hockey show. I think other then mike richards these shows are only temporary

Mike
Mike
February 17, 2011 9:20 pm

Dan Patrick is a legit A+ sports media talent. The issue is going to be that the material he covers is not in unison with the Canadian market as it’s going to be way underweight hockey.

Tommy D
Tommy D
February 17, 2011 9:24 pm

TSN Radio has left the door open for The Fan to remain competitive. Sports radio listeners in Toronto tend to prefer local content. If the Leafs, Jays or Raptors ever start to do well, that would leave The Fan with an even greater advantage.

February 18, 2011 12:04 am

Jim Rome has been available on WGR 550 and I never listen to it so I doubt I will be listening on 1050

On the other hand, I am a fan of Dan Patrick so I would probably give his show a try, especially when Blair is taking phone calls on an uninteresting topic

February 18, 2011 1:09 am

Dave – if TSN does a hockey show, I would much rather they didn’t do it at noon. Then at least we have alternatives. I think it’s kind of boring having extremely similar shows on at the same time talking about the same things.

Matt
Matt
February 18, 2011 1:32 am

Dan Patrick may be the best radio host in sports today, so I think that’s a great start. Jim Rome….not so much.

I love hockey talk, but there is more than enough on these days so I think Dan Patrick will be fine. If they switch Rome’s show in the fall with a full time local hockey-slanted show, then they’ll be golden.

I’m glad, too, it’s not Cowherd. His show is for people who can’t think for themselves….that’s never been a problem in TO.