Poll Results On Bryan Colangelo

I’ve been busy pounding the pavement, but in the interim I asked 30 members of the media in the GTA the following 2 questions:

Should Bryan Colangelo be retained as Raptors General Manager?
Will Bryan Colangelo be retained as Raptors General Manager?

Top 5 answers are on the board….just kidding, been watching too much day time tv

So, I asked 30 peeps. 28 got back to me.

On question 1, should he be back

22 said, yes he should

On question 2, will he be back:

26 said, yes he will

There you go.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

The folks I asked, were assured their responses would be totally confidential. All appear on either TV, radio or print, covering sports in the GTA, a few are otherwise involved in the sports media business (not on air personalities).

@yyzsportsmedia

lt67
lt67
February 25, 2011 2:09 pm

“The folks I asked, were assured their responses would be totally confidential”. So you can rat out the ones that did not respond? Who were they!!!

mario
mario
February 25, 2011 2:17 pm

I think he should be as well…..depending on term and price…Who else is out there?

Derrick
Derrick
February 25, 2011 2:22 pm

Yeah, he should come back. My opinion is he hasn’t done a horrible job. Yes, he should’ve traded Chis Bosh…based on hindsight. This time last year the Raptors were in the playoffs, and I don’t recall anyone in the media calling for the trade of Bosh.

Rome
Rome
February 25, 2011 2:57 pm

Cool stuff. But I would like to see more of a breakdown of what the “basketball guys” think and general sport guys answered.

On air at least the basketball guys mostly all seem to be on the side of “keep everything as it is” (GM, coach, heck you hardly hear criticism of players) did they change their tune knowing it’s confidential or did they stay with their opinion?

Wow over 90% of responders think he’s staying, but considering this might be the same group who give the “over 50% chance of Bosh staying because you know he loves the city”. So with that in mind, let me put my money on he’s as good as gone. lol

I don’t think it’s hindsight at all, Stephen A Smith called it a couple of allstar breaks back. We all villainized him calling him a loudmouth and a jerk (and he is) but he was also correct, which a lot of locals hardly are. The writing was on the wall, the people who should be paid to follow it closer didn’t want to say the obvious, continued the Wizard of Oz “Everythings fine” then when he left they all act shocked. Denver’s in a playoff spot and traded Carmelo, because nobody there tried to delude that Carmelo was coming back.

Steve from Waterloo
Steve from Waterloo
February 25, 2011 3:24 pm

Colangelo is the only superstar MLSE has associated with the team. He is the face of the team.

In light of the negative press that TO has received in basketball circles, the BofG / Peddy have no choice but to keep him.

Other question: will he stay?

Raptors Devotee
February 25, 2011 5:38 pm

With something like this I have no respect whatsoever for the mainstream media to even comment on this other than the writers who cover the team regularily and do not have a reputation of being company people.

Additionally, Toronto is rich with Raptor blogs, some of whom have credentials, and some don’t. A poll within that group would for sure yield different results.

The fact that your poll got 78.5% and 93% for should BC be retained and will he be retained demonstrates to me, more for the first question, how little they know about what has transpired during his tenure here.

My biggest beef is how Colangelo swung for the homerun every year in a reckless manner, and this was tied to building around Bosh, which was a fallacy all along. His misreading of Bosh has set us back 3 years easily. The Raptors roster never had a chance to gel, plus BC oversaturated certain positions i.e. forwards, while neglecting other positions i.e point guard, centre.

Mike
Mike
February 25, 2011 8:18 pm

Hopefully you didn’t just canvas the Raptors beat guys and ppl who work on TV (who are all “yes men” but also spread it out and asked groupes like The Basketball Jones internet bloggers.

And I’d bet my bottom dollar that if you asked 30 media that cover the entire NBA (the ESPN guys, Kelly Dwyer, the SI guys, etc, etc) there is no chance in hell that ~ 80% say to bring BC back

Rob
Rob
February 26, 2011 11:30 am

I think he should be back – so should Triano. He’s had a young, inexperienced and medium to low talent level team to work with – and injurues all season long to his best players. Give the team some skill, let him work with the young guys then judge his ability as a coach. I think he’s been better than Sam M. who won coach of the year

Raptors Devotee
February 26, 2011 11:36 am

Rob, every team has injuries. Not an excuse, and it has been one that Colangelo has used, just this past week.

His two cornerstone players he spoke of this week, DeRozan and Bargnani, have both as far as I know, been injury free this year. The big loss was clearly Reggie Evans, no argument there. They have had nobody step in to fill his shoes, both from a rebounding standpoint and the effect he has on the team. At the same time, Evans is a one-dimensional player with zero offensive skills and court awareness besides rebounding. He is not the answer.

I am left just scratching my head how so many Torontonians just accept what is fed to us without looking at the reality of what we endure on a year to year basis for a major market that we live in. It really is quite pathetic.

February 27, 2011 1:16 pm

nice analysis in the comments here. i’m with Mike … if you surveyed NBA writers there is no way you’d see these results. the fact is Toronto writers are a bit star struck when it comes to Colangelo.

Objectively, this team has struggled in the draft, and has lost at least as many trades as they have won. If Colangelo is to be evaluated on his body of work then he has not managed to help this team turn any kind of corner. They are no further ahead than when we was brought here, and they have not had any notable success during his tenure.

Slice it any way you like, that is a failure by the GM. I’m not sure why anyone would think he deserves another 5 years.