Deadline Day summary and more

At some point in time, I have to think the powers that be at soon to be launched TSN Radio considered, or at least bemoaned, the fact that their station wouldn’t be ready for NHL’s trade deadline. Somewhere, someone must be laughing at the thought. Everyone started early and stayed with it all day, every i was dotted and every t was crossed. Only one problem; the NHL general managers decided to have their own party weeks ago. In the end, we got a tonne of analysis and not so much action.

The biggest news maker of the day was Twitter. Forget the outlet you were watching, or what blog you were reading; if you were on Twitter you had the news pretty damn fast. Not only the that, some mutton-heads used it to disseminate stupid information by adding a “_” to the end of some otherwise reliable MSM Twitter handles that caused quite a stir on a few occasions.

Nick Kypreos started the day off with a bang, when around 8:30 a.m. or so he pronounced he was hearing that Stephen Weiss would only waive his no-trade clause if he were to be dealt to the Toronto Maple Leafs. Weiss, as you know, didn’t go anywhere.

The day lulled along until about 10:30 a.m. when the first deal was finally announced.

The nicest addition to the deadline teams was Denis Potvin. He provided a unique voice to those of us in this market, and on numerous occasions, I was actually hoping they were going to cut back to him. Leafs TV folk, if you can get Potvin on to Leafs games he would be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade.

The weakest contributor of the day was Michael “I hosted the Oscars last night Franco” Peca. I can’t help but like Peca, but wow, he is boring on TV. I seem to remember Peca always being a colourful interview on TV/radio during his playing days, but man, does he need some energy as a pundit.

Couple of highlights for me:

Bob McCown on with Cox and Brunt in the first set, clearly not happy to be there and ripping the day as a made for TV event was quite funny. When McCown’s cell phone rang, he looked into the camera and said, “I’m going to break the first deal of the day” – was classic.

Pierre McGuire bolting out of his seat with his Blackberry in hand to show to one of Dreger or McKenzie in the middle of a segment was pretty funny.

I had to feel for the guys sitting down at the ACC waiting for something to happen. It’s one thing to watch from the comfort of my couch, but to have to sit at the ACC had to be painful.

Howard Berger breaking in on the Fan programming with a breaking Lupul trade news story, only to later learn that it was a Twitter joke, was PRICELESS

I don’t know what the hell happened, but there was a very odd moment between RJ Broadhead and Bruce Garrioch. Kypreos announced a deal and the two others were discussing the details when suddenly both stopped talking and were just staring at each other. Maybe I am the only one who noticed, but from my seat it was uncomfortable.

The clear winner in terms of breaking news was Sportsnet. Nick Kypreos et. al. just seemed to be a few minutes ahead of TSN over and over again.

The most useless feature of the day? The boardroom cam at the ACC. Ron Wilson looked like he was forced to watch paint dry most of the time.

I love people who rip the networks for putting this stuff on. Look, they wouldn’t put it on if we didn’t watch it. There is huge demand and the networks, all of them, feed the proverbial beast. Good on them for doing it.

Strongest comment of the day was by Michael Farber who said ” The NHL is a much better league with the Maple Leafs in the playoffs.” 2nd place was Dennis Potvin’s ” The Florida Panthers have been sellers for 10 years now”

Most useless comment? The MSMers who love to rip Leafs fans (or any fans for that matter) for saying things on Twitter. Case in point, one MSMer posted a rumour about the Leafs. Tonnes of people retweeted it and tonnes commented on it. Another MSMer pipes in with the typical “Leafs fans who think that’s going to happen are dreaming.”

Look, if you want to rip people for the stupidity, go to the source and rip your fellow MSMer.

Speaking of ripping your fellow MSMer, welcome to Twitter Al Strachan. What the [email protected]#@!#[email protected] is he thinking ripping every other MSMer right left and center? Was that really Strachan ripping Jeff Blair for “drivel”? Are you kidding me? With the exception of Loewen, no other Toronto writer has penned more drivel than Al Strachan.

Poor Brian Hayes, it’s one thing to be sentenced to five hours with Bill Watters, but five hours when no trades are made???? Ouch.

We’ve all done it. Hit the send button before realizing who was on our distribution list. We have all put our foot in our mouth before, and yes, we will all do it again. So there I am, reading the morning paper online, with Tweetdeck open drinking my green tea, when a new tweet from Nick Kypreos comes across. My tea quickly ended up all over my keyboard:

“I’m confident it will get done. Those [email protected]$%ers at TSN try to discredit me all the time. I’m really pissed! ”

Kypreos had been tweeting about Bryan McCabe potentially being dealt to the New York Rangers (which did happen) and he clearly meant to send a DM and instead published his thoughts to the entire world.

I thought the whole thing was hilarious. It got taken down almost immediately, but Kypreos did the right thing. He had fun with it.

An interesting story was in the Hamilton paper this week. Interesting in that it had to deal with the Toronto sports radio scene. Nothing really new in it but still…

Lastly, I’ve heard a couple of different things on the TSN Radio host side. I am still hearing Melnick is choice numero uno. However if that doesn’t pan out there is apparently a push to go with someone young and relatively inexperienced who will talk sports, sports and sports against McCown. The thinking is that they know they can’t beat him now, so why not try to establish an audience.

Remember McCown’s deal is up soon.

Will this be the week Andrew Krystal returns to the air?

Should be interesting.

@yyzsportsmedia

Raptors Devotee
February 28, 2011 10:49 pm

Melnick’s not going anywhere. TSM, I have my own reliable source, Mike Cohen in Montreal, and I am not sure why Melnick’s name keeps coming up when he has no desire to leave Monreal due to family reasons. Having said that, with the two networks at war salaries to acquire talent has never been higher, so if Melnick is offered a guaranteed longterm contract at double or triple his salary, he would not be the first person to relocate at the expense of his family for that reason.

I know we are in Canada, and hockey rules, but I find it unreal how much coverage was devoted to it by all the networks with nothing substantial happening while the NBA trade deadline which had major deals going shortly prior and during was only paid lip service. I was watching NBA.com for all my updates, so was covered, although it would have been nice having someone else besides Jack Armstrong man the forts all day long for any breaking trades.

I caught McCown’s show at his usual time, which was fine. I also watched the 3 minutes they got per hour, if that, and have to say it added a bit of comic relief, but really, what was the point. Cox eventually broke off with the real people who should be covering it, and I am sure that he couldn’t wait to go. My favourite part was McCown starting off with the really really dark sunglasses the first hour in the morning and then switching to lighter ploarized ones the second hour.

I watched or had Sportsnet on pretty much exclusively and yes, they broke pretty much everything and kicked TSN’s ass.

How the Twitter fakers are not spotted is beyond me, as it takes me two seconds to spot the real deal from a fake. Twitter still was the best way to follow everything.

March 1, 2011 12:22 am

So Krystal actually is coming back to The Fan in some form? I assumed that was lip service. The idea that makes the most sense is for him to go to 640, I’d say. If he was talking news/pop culture/Local issues instead of sports I’d probably listen actually. I don’t think I want to hear him do 1-3 on The Fan or something.

Is there any word on The Fan morning show? At this point, I don’t see why they don’t just give it to Brady (or Brady/Lang). Amazing how long they’ve been without a ‘permanent’ morning host since last June.

If TSN wants to go with someone young who’ll talk sports I could see them trying to pry away Bryan Hayes. I’d have to think he’d get killed for a while, but if they don’t mind that viewing it as a really long term thing, it could be a good choice. Plus he’d probably make, a fraction of McCown’s salary…so with much less invested they may not mind losing for a while.

March 1, 2011 1:15 am

A lot of people in the media expressed their disappointment when there weren’t many NHL trades between October and January……………then we get a flurry of significant trades in February and many of those same media members are disappointed that they happened before Deadline Day…………..those people are definitely tough to please

I believe this is two years in a row where there were almost no trades before noon on Deadline Day………..hopefully the networks will come to the conclusion that 8:00 AM is a bit too early to start their coverage

mario
mario
March 1, 2011 4:21 am

I thought Sportsnet totally out did TSN there show today on a uneventfull day to go from 8am to 6pm.Did try to watch TSN for a while but there “we know everything, watch me” additude just drove me crazy…Sportnet sure did come along way since when they first started covering trade dead line day. Enjoyed there panels and there guest a lot more with Potvin who did a great job for this first time on a day like today. Way to get back at the know at alls at TSN Kipper…..Great Job….

Jackmac
Jackmac
March 1, 2011 8:39 am

The whole trade day nonsense is nothing but a made for TV fabricated farce (much like the World Juniors). These so called experts (who missed every trade over the past two weeks) being fooled by the Twitter hoaxes is hilarious. I spent the entire drive back to work from lunch yesterday listening to Wilbur analyze the “Penner to Montreal” deal, only to go to the Gazette site and find out it had been exposed as a hoax A FULL HOUR EARLIER!

March 1, 2011 8:57 am

thank God this is over. listening to the call-in segments of PTS has been painful over the last couple of weeks, as callers mention players Bob has never heard of, and Bob pretends to watch hockey.

on an unrelated note, I have been pleasantly surprised with Cox’s work on PTS. He has thankfully left his Twitter persona behind, and actually contributes real insight into the conversation. The quality of the show when Bob has an intellectual peer as co-host is top notch. It’s really made vivid just how bad the Shannon/Kelley years were.

Gerry (burlington)
Gerry (burlington)
March 1, 2011 10:02 am

Kept my computer on TSN most of the day. I have never been able to stomach Kypreos and Maclean, but Pierre (I should be GM of any NHL Team) McGuire has driven me to the tipping point. Everything about him drives me nuts, TSN must really look at downscaling his input. I personally would let him go, hope Sportsnet picks him up and watch those 3 try one up each other to no end.

Anyhow, at least we are closer to playoff hockey, which really is the best time of year.

Derrick
Derrick
March 1, 2011 11:16 am

If you listen to the Fan on your computer today you’ll notice Krystal will be on today at 1-3. It’s “The Greg Brady Show w/Krystal”.
Thank god I can listen the Jays on MLB.com.

Rob
Rob
March 1, 2011 12:46 pm

I don’t care who had the story first. What is a minute or two (and I don’t believe any team plays favourites) It’s who I can stomach when I watch – and I can stomach TSN (and Mcguire) a whole lot better than SN and Daren Millard (et Al) – – Kypreos is so light – he has nothing to be so egotistical about. That insecurity complex is showing full on. He likes to bully other people on air with awkward and unfunny wisecracks (that sound like bullying, not joking), but when someone else with more talent does it to him, he turtles and whines. That looked good on him.

Adhish
Adhish
March 1, 2011 12:57 pm

Say it isnt so! Krystal is on the Greg Brady show. Oh well!! ESPN Radio here I come.

headsup
headsup
March 1, 2011 1:00 pm

I think the Sportsnet monopoly did a good job with the little trade content they were given. It sounds like Melnick is comfortable in Montreal. Is TSN Radio going to be a national network? If so, why not have Melnick do the PM drive show from Montreal?
AK is back, sounding like Jim Rome. How long will this AK in the afternoon song and dance last?

The Meatriarchy
The Meatriarchy
March 1, 2011 1:53 pm

Krystal started his new timeslot out with a completely canned rant about Brian Burke being out of touch with reality clearly designed to get people to phone in.

He combined with unfunny cuts to Charlie Sheen’s interview from last night trying to compare the two.

Lame.

Turned it off about 30 seconds in.

Cam
Cam
March 1, 2011 2:09 pm

So I flipped on the Fan shortly after 1:00 and to my surprise it was Krystal. The theme of the show apparently was equating Brian Burke’s reluctance to use the term rebuild to that of Charlie Sheen’s denial of his legion of problems.

Interesting tack, while I have seen Gadaffi/Sheen comparisons and even made some myself, this one had not occurred to me. I could see it playing out in any number of ways so I listened for a few minutes, curious to see how it might go.

However as I listened, it occurred to me that there was a striking similarity to that of Glenn Beck in approach and tone. In fairness I only had a few minutes to spare so does anyone know if there were puppets, chalk boards and an NHL wide conspiracy theory to ensure that no one believes that Burke is doing a rebuild?

To continue the spirit of inanity establish above – If Brady has Krystal’s Morning show and Krystal has the Greg Brady show, does anyone know who has the Jeff Blair show?

They do they realize that competition is coming to town, don’t they?

dsscpu
dsscpu
March 1, 2011 2:10 pm

Going back to Melnick for a second, would he have to do the show from Toronto? Could they not just put him in a CHUM studio in Montreal and have him do the drive on TSN Radio?

March 1, 2011 2:37 pm

Dss – to the best of my knowledge TSN Radio 1050 will use local content (other than ESPN obviously). I guess they might do a national show (like PTS). I’m not sure a Montreal/Toronto thing would work though. People here probably won’t want a rundown on last night’s Canadiens game for 20 mins.

Krystal filling in for Brady has got to be temporary, don’t you guys think? Maybe The Fan is trying to see if he can work in any time slot, since they’re paying him anyway (I presume). If they really want to find a spot for him, I guess they could put him at 6 instead of that PTS replay..

Rome
Rome
March 1, 2011 2:47 pm

Watched a bit of all trade deadline outlets. There was half a dozen places you can choose from. Below is who I liked in order.

I thought RSO did best on a national scale, bringing in McCown/Brunt brought a different contrast than the “hockey guys” that filled up everywhere else. Second place goes to LeafsTV, it was more of a local focus which give them the ability to be different than everybody else, and the group was fine and good work on the viewer interaction. My positive surprise came from the NHLnetwork, it was just a couple of guys that looked like a radio studio, but called a lot of markets media people for thoughts, and give open credit to other places for rumors/reports. Got tricked by the Montreal trade, but I heard a bunch did.

Bold/CBC. Did anybody know this was on. I like most of these guys with exception of PJ. Good crew and hosts Friedman & Merek are very good quality, props to Merek for hearing something going on with Montreal, but not going with it until confirmed/after the break. TSN, just seemed bland, the only thing that caught my eye was how tiny MacTavish laptop was. The worst was The Score, they didn’t even try. They had Sid on for literally a couple of minutes at the top & bottom of every hour and filled the rest with pre-packaged stuff, just pointless.

Sure they can’t compete with the other national players in numbers, but than be different. Be more interactive, they had puckdaddy on for a segment, why not utilize more of these type of writers. Maybe have some more fun with the tradeline that “serious hockey channels” couldn’t. They didn’t even try. BTW why CAN’T I go to the “Morning show” page so I can listen to the improved morning show segments with Brady. But CAN go to “Brady page” that is filled with archive B-level fill-ins for him from the past couple of weeks.

dsscpu
dsscpu
March 1, 2011 2:48 pm

Daniel,

They have already said that they are importing Dan Patrick and Jim Rome to fill the gap between Richards and the afternoon drive, so it actually won’t be local content.

Just because Melnick is physically in Montreal doesn’t mean he can’t do a Toronto focused show. McCown had a period where he was simulcast into Toronto from Las Vegas.

March 1, 2011 3:14 pm

I see what you’re saying. I guess that’s true!

Sam In Scarbrough
Sam In Scarbrough
March 1, 2011 3:59 pm

People will switch off Krystal in the afternoon just like they switched him off in the morning.Question Is will listeners switch back on at 3PM for PTS?? Hummm

Dok
Dok
March 2, 2011 10:25 am

Rome,

The Score did most of it’s trade deadline coverage on it’s satellite radio channel with 5.5 hours with Rob Pizzo and Puck Daddy. Pizzo also stuck around for Tim and Sid:uncut afterwords for a wrap-up.

They also provide a listen live link on it’s website.

March 2, 2011 3:21 pm

Here is an article in the Toronto Sun about the Trade Deadline coverage on television:

I don’t know much about the guy who wrote it so I don’t know if he has written about sports media before