Kid Pukes At ACC and Father Stays For Whole Game!

I know, you don’t like it when I do this but…..

Last night I had the privilege of going to the Leafs game vs. Penguins. Those of you who follow me on Twitter may know where this is going. I had Mrs. TSM, Little TSM and one of Little TSM’s buddies (the littlest TSM doesn’t care for hockey).

We had great seats, platinums, three rows behind the Leafs net.

So, there we are enjoying the game having a blast when little TSM complains that someone is kicking his seat. I look over my shoulder and there’s a 3-4 yr old kid sitting there kicking his seat. The kid’s father asked him to stop. If only I knew what revenge the kid was about to take on us.

Just after the first period ended little kicker puked. Yes, upchucked, yacked, tossed his cookies. Thankfully, his dad had a Tupperware container to, ummm, contain the yack.

Now, those of you dad’s out there, I ask you, what do you do in the situation? You take the kid home right?

Not this guy.

No, he takes his kid, the sick one to the bathroom to clean him up. He leaves his other kid, who I am guessing is 6 by himself at the seats.

Now, the sick kid while projectialing, happened to leave some drool on the back of little TSM’s friend seat and it stank. So, Mrs. TSM asked an usher if someone could come clean it up.

Shortly after the second period started the clean up crew arrived. They cleaned the back of the seat.

Now, all you parents, if your kid puked and someone had to come clean the seat in which he soiled, you would at the very least apologize right?

Not our guy.

So with the sick kid lying in the prone position in his seat, the game continued. Until a little later in the period when he puked again!

Not this guy.

Nope, off he went, with one sick kid in tow to clean him up, leaving behind his other kid.

The ushers, having seen this sent over a medic when the father was back to see if the kid was okay to which the father replied, “oh yeah, he’s fine.”

Then the kid scored the hat trick when just before the end of the period he yacked yet again!

Not this guy.

His kid pukes 3 times and he still sticks it out.

Here is where it gets really good.

The ushers pretty much pleaded with the guy not to return to his seat with sick kid for the third. What did he do? He stayed out in the entrance with the sick kid, leaving his 6 year old ALL ALONE in the seats. The poor kid was solo the whole period.

Thankfully for the sick kid the game went into overtime. I mean nothing is better for a sick kid then staying at the ACC until after 10pm right?

Super dad let his kid sit by himself through OT too, to the point that when the game ended, complete strangers sitting around the abandoned kid had to help him collect his belongings and then find his dad and sick brother.

Dear parents, if your kid is puking at a sports game, do your kid and everyone around you a favour and go home, PLEASE

Ok, I feel better rant over….

I have lots of news on the media side coming- stay tuned tomorrow

Dave from the suburbs
Dave from the suburbs
March 4, 2011 6:41 am

Douche. Reminds me of a movie I went to where a poor kid, maybe 1 year old, was coughing really bad and sounded like it had bronchitis. I told the father to take it to the doctor and he told me to mind my own business.

I think people should be screened before conceiving.

Rob
Rob
March 4, 2011 7:26 am

This isn’t really a rant, I think it belongs in the Star. That abandoned kid and the sick kid should both have been handed over to the CAS just to teach the guy a lesson.

It should be policy that ACC and MLSE forbids you from taking your seat after vomiting (I can’t believe it isn’t) – whether it is for public drunkenness or illness. Both are nuisances and actually health hazzards.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
March 4, 2011 8:43 am

I think this is the most shocking thing you have ever written, and you were a first-hand witness to it all. As a parent of two girls, 9 & 7, I can attest that this kind of behaviour is abhorrant on so many levels it is hard to know where even to start.

Rob covered the main issues, but the lack of parenting aside, which is out of your control, what about how the ACC staff handled/mishandled it? As rob stated, either there is a current policy in place that was ignored, or there isn’t, which is equally as wrong.

TSM, as a first-hand witness, can you contact your sources at MLSE and find out what indeed their policy is/isn’t for a case like this. Normally, on the back of your ticket, if you still have it, there should be a legal disclaimer and any issues like this should be addressed in some manner.

Bottom Line – You should not let this go, and at least for future similar incidents, do soemthing so it does not happen again.

All I can say is I feel really sorry for those kids, to be subjected to a parent like that who puts his own selfish needs ahead of his kids, jeopardizing their health and safety.

Darren
Darren
March 4, 2011 9:02 am

As a parent of two girls (8 & 6) this story makes me livid and yet has a taste of giddiness to it, lol!! I mean your kids sick, you take care of him case closed end of story. Me not being a Leaf fan but rather a Leaf hater it would interest me to see opinions of those if you were to make this game a playoff or heaven forbid a Stanley Cup game rather then just a Thu night regular season game, who you up and leave as easy as it would seem than? LMAO, thanks for the morning laugh!!

Gerry (burlington)
Gerry (burlington)
March 4, 2011 9:25 am

Firstly, it is obvious the father acted like a selfish brat. I suspect Father of the Year was given tickets to the game, and this was his only visit to ACC for the year. Given that, there was no way some child of his was going to cost him his chance to watch his Beloved Leafs. Can only imagine how Pops cares for these kids when they start playing organized hockey. Hopefully he will develop some common sense, I only hope his kids never suffer a concussion as I don’t see pops having much understanding.

But secondly, I wonder if MLSE has orders written or unwritten to the effect of never piss off our “platinum seats holders”. You never know to whom those seats belong. Perhaps Teachers Board, TD Canada Trust, Ford etc… whomever the folks that butter the fine MLSE Bread.

Either way, situation was handled poorly by Pops and MLSE.

Sorry to hear your experience was such TSM. Can’t imagine though, it will ever happen to you again.

Dileno
Dileno
March 4, 2011 10:51 am

Well the Leafs were pretty nauseating in the middle of the season when they were in a slump, so it begs the question:
If the poor kid barfed 3 times during a win, how many times would he have blown chunks during one of those brutal losses?

Rob
Rob
March 4, 2011 9:34 pm

The other issue about is how this was handled by ACC staff: These tickets were worth how much? And the 6 or 7 other patron who had their exeience effectivley ruined get what for their troubles? It is ridiculous. A movie ticket costs $12.50 now? That would be bad enough…

Rob M
Rob M
March 5, 2011 2:06 am

I agree with the above comments. Everyone in the vicinity should have received some sort of refund or coupon. When something like that happens once to a child it could possibly be excused. How enjoyable is it to sit in expensive seats and wonder if the kid inches behind you is going to barf again.

Shame on the father and shame on the Air Canada Center. I hope that you will bring this to the attention of the larger media.

Brendan
Brendan
March 7, 2011 1:22 am

I can understand staying at the game to watch it to completion but at some point common sense takes over and tells you that the kid needed to be brought home for his own well being. I mean if it’s a one time thing, maybe you can excuse it but for it to happen multiple times and have nothing done about it, is just irresponsible parenting.