More Lineup Changes At Sportsnet The Fan 590

Don Kollins has been in his seat at The Fan 590, now Sportsnet The Fan 590 for a little over a year now and if nothing else he’s made changes. Today he’s announcing a whole host (pardon the pun) of changes at Toronto’s all sports radio station (for now anyway):

After the failure of the Andrew Krystal morning show, Kollins has handed the baton to the current hosts, Greg Brady and Jim Lang. This is a good move in my opinion as I am told that both guys were highly sought after by TSN radio.

“We are very excited to bring Greg and Jim together as the FAN 590 morning team,” said Don Kollins, Program Director, Sportsnet Radio The FAN 590. “Both have great sports knowledge, are well respected Toronto broadcasters, and they like to have fun. Listeners already love these guys after just a couple weeks together.”

No immediate changes to the Jeff Blair show, however sources tell me that Blair could have a dance partner in the not so distant future. But for the fact that Blair talks way too much hockey out of the gate, I think the show is called the blue and white today sometimes, I really like the change from Hogan to Blair.

Starting Tuesday, something old is new again as Darren Millard returns to Hockey Central at Noon. With two STRONG personalities in Kypreos and MacLean does it really matter who’s in that seat? Ratings showed it worked before so why not right?

Andrew Krystal will at remain in the Greg Brady slot at 1pm.

No changes to Mccown’s PTS

Sportsnet the Fan 590 will return to 24 hours of local radio too. Kollins has plucked Jeff Sammut from his producing duties and plunked him into the 12am to 5:30am slot, Monday to Friday. I have caught Sammut over the weekends and he is improving. One thing for sure, he will get all the on air training he needs on the graveyard shift.

Also in the something old is new again department, as I told you exclusively before, Norman Rumack will return to the airwaves taking his usual late night role, however this time Norman only appears on weekends.

Personally, I am not a huge fan, but Norman certainly had his followers back in the day- towards the end, I’m not so sure.

What else to look for? Well sources tell me that Joey Vendetta while not coming to the station in a permanent role, it does sound like he will be on the station on a regular basis in the days to come.

I will have more for you later, for now, I’ll say this, I think there will be more changes from Kollins in the not so distant future!

@yyzsportsmedia

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
March 10, 2011 10:17 am

Thanks for the scoop! Your site with your sources and once TSM Pressbox comes back as well is the go to site for sports media in this city. Nobody else, that is, whoever from the MSM who actually cover it, can compete.

I have woken up and prepared my kids lunches everyday to the Brady/Lang, and no doubt, once they came on together, Oakley was but a distant memory for me. Great call by Kollins there. I can’t believe I said that.

Doing a 180 though, Krystal taking Brady’s old time slot. Come on. Enough already. He is sucha blowhard with no sports knowledge except for the Leafs, and even at that it is likely at a fan level, so why bring your ratings down leading into PTS? I had the FAN on yesterday, only because PTS was coming up, and not sure what I was thinking, because Krystal is usually on the first segment anyways, but happened to catch him egg on the people who are tweeting how much they can’t stand him. He went on a tirade saying that is great, as long as he is listened to he doesn’t care. The one thing he does not want to be is boring and irrelevant. Gimme a break. You were bounced from the morning time slot because you are not made out for an All-Sports station. For that matter, I am not even sure you are made out for any station, but that is besides the point. Regardless, I will structure my day to catch the morning show when possible, selectively listen to Brady (I avoid all Leaf talk so it is pretty slim pickings), and wait until the post-Krystal segment. I may have to revert to selective podcasts there as well. Getting back to Blair, he does need a co-host. On his own it is missing something.

I have come to the conclusion that we are stuck with Krystal. The damage this guy has done and will continue to do to the station is unreal.

The FAN is still a hockey oriented station, and losing “The Gameplan” and having Krystal in its place still pisses me off. I am really looking forward to see what TSN Radio offers when they come in. It will not take much for me to make them my go to sports radio station.

maggie
maggie
March 10, 2011 10:24 am

Good change for the morning. Cannot believe that they did not put Gord Stellick back in during the day. Unless they are thinking of pairing him up with Blair. Or perhaps eventually giving him the afternoon slot back.

Chris A.
Chris A.
March 10, 2011 10:34 am

re: stuck with Krystal

I too would like to have seen the sports illiterate Krystal expunged from the Fan. But I look at it this way, he will only be on while I am at work and unable to listen so I can tolerate it. If I happen to be off early or on vacation then I will just listen to TSN. These ears are a Krystal Free Zone now. I am sure his days are numbered anyway.

Now Sammut is another story. I see him as a Don Landry wannabe. I’ll give him a chance but there’s all kinds of podcasts to listen to if he has not improved.

I would love to know who the source is that Krystal had good ratings in the AM slot which I think I read here a couple of days ago. I am guessing Kollins or Krystal, neither of whom are reliable.

Sam In Scarbrough
Sam In Scarbrough
March 10, 2011 10:55 am

What a hole kollins is.If true WHY was this morning team not put in place 9 months ago??
He just got lucky with Brady/Lang being put together to cover up HIS own mistake…krystal.

oldsalty
oldsalty
March 10, 2011 11:05 am

Another successful morning show host search concluded by the Fan! I wish Gord Stellick had been included in the morning show. He was a great call-in guest today. He provides these complementary qualities: 1. he’s older, 2. he provides a historic perspective (like Shaky Hunt and Marsden), 3. he was on the inside, 4. he’s funny.

Andrew
Andrew
March 10, 2011 11:21 am

Agree completely with Oldsalty

March 10, 2011 11:22 am

so is Krystal a permanent host for the mid afternoon slot? the guy is poison right now (nothing personal intended) and i’m sure this will benefit TSN when they hit the air. there’s just so much ill will right now, and the perpetual time slot changes confirm the perception that the audience is tuning him out. i wonder if he’ll be around through the end of his contract.

i may have missed this, but if Rumak is weekends only, what happens on weekday evenings if there is no Jays or Raptors game? more PTS replays?

12:00-5:30 … oof. that’s a rough shift for one guy to hold down on his own. i’m surprised they have not cut a deal to air FOX Sports radio. It’s pretty much equivalent to ESPN overnight.

March 10, 2011 11:30 am

Many of us said several months ago that putting Brady in the morning makes the most sense………….and I’m glad they have a co-host…………I like Lang, although I’m not sure he would be my first choice………..for selfish reasons I was kind of hoping that Brady would stay in the afternoon slot because it is much easier for me to listen at that time…………now I will have to try to catch Brady/Lang podcasts whenever I can

Having a co-host with Blair might be interesting, depending on who it is………..it would be nice to have someone there to call him out when he says something that makes no sense

Losing Brady on the noon hockey show is a major blow………….I never liked Millard……….I will still listen but I won’t enjoy it nearly as much

I can’t stand Krystal so I won’t be listening much from 1-3………I will probably try to listen to Brady/Lang podcasts during this time period

I don’t like Sammut or Rumack but I never listen to 590 at night or overnight so having them in those slots won’t impact on me much

In summary, in my opinion the appointment of Brady/Lang is a positive move but when the significant roles for Millard, Krystal, Sammut, and Rumack are factored in I’m not sure the station comes out ahead

Suckwinder Passwinder
Suckwinder Passwinder
March 10, 2011 11:38 am

@ Mike (In Boston) 12:00-5:30 yes a rough shift for one person indeed !
It will evolve to taking 3 hours of calls from drunk Baseball fans during the summer and 3 hours of calls from drunk Leaf fans in the winter.
But remember 12AM TO 5AM Is the least of the PD worries.

MwG64
MwG64
March 10, 2011 11:38 am

I am not the biggest Brady fan..Having said that i hope that Lang becomes less of a yes man now that he has a permanent gig!!And Brady has to stop going postal on every caller who disagrees with him…He has strong opinions and will have alot of callers who will take the otherside. Calling people idiots for not agreeing him is the easy way out!!
Millard back!!!Wow…Really Brady did nothing to enhance the show anyway!!!

Edit 66
Edit 66
March 10, 2011 11:54 am

My take on Blair: I enjoy him less now than I did when he’d guest-host PTS. In the late-AM slot, he doesn’t just talk too much hockey, he often talks too much . . . period. Maybe he just isn’t getting the callers during the call-in segments. I’d like to hear him talking with guests more. But I guess call-ins are easy to “produce.”

Glad to see Krystal get bounced from another day part, though it does provide the temptation for more appearances on PTS. Jeezus, with the departure of Shannon I was hoping to be able to listen to Prime Time all the way through. Then they started booking that ass-clown.

If the Fan is committed to keeping Krustal on from 1 to 3, there’s a BIG incentive for TSN to counter-program with something better than Jim Rome (blech). But they may not miss this opportunity to miss this opportunity.

I applaud the return of overnight programming. The Landry comparison is apt — I often used to think I was hearing Landry when Sammut was on the air. Then again, I seem to be part of the minority that liked Don Landry.

I’m old enough to remember when “Game” aired during the wee hours. I’ve always heeded their advice not to smoke blunts. I doubt the Fan plans anything that interesting — fielding phone calls from drunks is like the Hamburger Helper of radio programming, but it’s probably what they’ll do, like back in the Spider Jones days (always loved his theme song, “The Entertainer” by Tony Clarke, but when he wasn’t mangling Strombo’s last name he could be such a crusty cuss). Still, it beats canned programming from Fox, or reruns of “The Best of Andrew Krustle.”)

Dave Wood
Dave Wood
March 10, 2011 12:00 pm

I worked in broadcasting for 33 years with many great people and find it totally appalling that someone with the ilk of Andrew Krystal is given any sort of airtime on the Fan. With him on the air, it means that someone with actual talent is on the sidelines.

dsscpu
dsscpu
March 10, 2011 12:54 pm

Mike (in Boston),

It was probably cheaper to have Sammut hold the midnight-5:30am shift than to sign a deal with FOX or any other overnight syndication. Plus IMO ESPN Overnight is much better than FOX overnight, which was proven a year or two ago when they made the switch and pulled it after 2 or 3 weeks because everyone was complaining. I also thing having Sammut is much better than ‘FAN REWIND’ as I would at least consider listening overnight now.

March 10, 2011 1:05 pm

Finally!

I liked Brady during the day, and him followed by McCown was potentially an amazing block, but putting him in mornings just made too much sense.

In all honestly, Brady and Lang is the first Fan morning show I’ve enjoyed listening to since John Derringer left (when I was about 16 or something). I think they’re perfect for what the Fan is going for: Funny, a little edgy, and actually know sports.

I listen to Blair on podcast, so I usually bypass subjects if he talks too much hockey. As a huge Jays fan, I LOVE his segments on baseball. He’s as plugged in to the Jays as anybody. I think a cohost wouldn’t hurt. Bruce Arthur?

I agree Mike. I MUCH preferred HC at noon with Brady. I didn’t really listen with Millard. I probably will go back to not listening. One thing: with Brady as host, he could just absorb the 12-1 hour in the summer. What happens now? An extra hour of Krystal?

Krystal may be the most talked about host The Fan has ever had! I have never seen people love to hate a radio host this much. Maybe that’s why he’s still here! I guess hated is better than ignored. Unless he finds a formula that works, I bet he’ll be gone relatively soon.

March 10, 2011 1:13 pm

It’s funny – when 640 came on the scene, The Fan’s only real reaction was to improve it’s hockey coverage. But with TSN Radio coming, it seems like The Fan is trying to shore up their whole daily lineup.

I think it’s impressive to do 24 hours local. This is a major market (although I’m not sure any other talk stations in Toronto do that).

Why have overnights covered and leave 6pm and a replay though? That’s one thing that really bugs me.

March 10, 2011 1:13 pm

though i don’t listen often, i would support Blair getting a co-host. it’s clear that thinking on his feet is not one of his strengths. This leads to a lot of dead air and “ums and ahs” which can be pretty painful to listen to. he’s also a little predictable on most topics, so having a co-host would help with that as well.

here in boston all the shows on both all-sports stations have co-hosts with the exception of the evening shows, for what that is worth.

mario
mario
March 10, 2011 1:26 pm

I can’t belive it…Good move by Kollins having Brady and Lang together in the mornings…I thought they did and will do an outstanding job together..Really enjoy the chemestry they have with one another..

Jeff Blair in enjoy him also but a co-host would help… how about Stellick?I think they would work good together…

As for Krystal give it up is not going to work especially in the prime afternoon….Put him after 10 pm..Bring in anybody esle…Stellick I thought he did a good job when he had the affternoon slot with someone else…Millard did a decent job when he was on before at noon… no problem there…
Rumack is only weekends thats more than enough… Sammut why not? Gives him a chance to learn and is not that bad and will only get better…Can’t go wrong with local content..

Marsh
Marsh
March 10, 2011 1:28 pm

Remember Jim Richards started overnight at the FAN many years ago.

And I agree completely with Oldsalty. Give Stellick back his 1pm-3pm slot.

mario
mario
March 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Also happy to see Hockey Central @ noon back on April4, Rogers Sportsnet on the Ontario channel ….should be better than whats on now…replays of Connected for the 15th time…..

Andy
Andy
March 10, 2011 1:48 pm

I was trying to remember the name of the late night show on the Fan those many years ago with Strombo. The Game was a great overnight show. Anyone have an idea who the other hosts on that show was?

Rome
Rome
March 10, 2011 2:13 pm

Didn’t almost 95% of the people here thought that Brady was an obvious better choice than Krystal? Krystal in the morning went as over as Leno at primetime. Hopefully Brady is getting morning show money now. I am still not sure about Lang, I liked Dunleavy a bit better with Brady. Stelleck does seem better when Landry is not around.

I was supportive of Blair, and still am. But as a rookie host I do start seeing some flaws in his presentation, especially going back to often to the “easy topics” “How you think Leafs did last night/ how will they do tonight”. But when the topics are original he is really good.

HockeyCentral, hardly ever listened to it before Brady, but he really made it fun for somebody like me who enjoys hockey but not fully into the “hockey culture”, not sure if I will bother now. Krystal on again? he’s the Tori Spelling of the Fan, he must have family or friends in high places.

Is it me or has Seixeiro been totally lost in the shuffle doing sports updates while Cooper & Sammut getting all the weekend/latenight hosting duties. I was always impressed with Seixeiro, I listened to the other guys & and just don’t hear it. JRichards was great at overnight, I think I remember Strombo & Merek both did some as well and were great in an odd time spot. I hear that Todd Wright (former host of ESPN overnight) is a host on Sporting news radio, I really liked him on ESPN, but he does a late evening show 10-2am so that will probably overlap local shows a lot and doesn’t help the overnight situation.

Ryan
Ryan
March 10, 2011 2:13 pm

Cannot wait for TSN radio. I only hope that they don’t talk puck 24 – 7. If they do, I hope its not all leaf talk. Since that’s what the Fan has become other than the bobcat.

I have a feeling you are going to see a lot of signing coming from TSN now that Bell has taken ownership of CTV/TSN.

Chris F.
Chris F.
March 10, 2011 2:36 pm

“checks the temperature in Hell”

I can’t believe Kollins is actually making sensible moves here. I’ve been listening to a lot of Brady and Lang and have warmed up to them A LOT. They’re a great tandem and while Brady can jump into Hyperbole Land a bit too often for my tastes it’s an informative, fun and hip show.

Blair’s show is good but i’ve grown very disappointed in the actual content though I do like the first hour on Fridays when he usually has Berger on. I think those two actually have good chemistry together but jeez can we stop with the Leafs material?! I sure do hope Blair is as Jays intensive in the middle of summer. If not then i’ll be EXTREMELY disappointed.

HC is basically the Kypreos/MaClean show it doesn’t matter who’s the host.

Now the insistence of keeping Krystal on the air is just mind boggling. That’s going to be some massive dead weight right in the middle of the day. Hopefully the black hole that is “Krystal Nation” doesn’t affect the Bobcat’s ratings too much.

I also think Jeff Sammut is improving and he’s going to have a lot of practice working overnights. I do like the fact that it’ll be a full 24 hr schedule similar to how it was when The Fan first came into existence. I don’t know how much leeway Sammut will get but I kinda hope he develops into an edgy kind of show. I remember when the young turks at the station had an overnight show (Strombo was part of it and a couple others I think even Elliotte Freidman) It got a bit racy at times but it was guys being guys and for the most part they stuck to sports or sports entertainment (this was when wrestling was HUGE) If memory serves that overnight show got pulled because of the content. I don’t want Sammut to go that far but I think it’s always a good thing to skirt the lines of acceptability within reason.

As for Rumack, well I said all I need to say about that. I do hope we get something closer to the Rumack of old rather than the stuffed shirt heel of his latter years.

Cam
Cam
March 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Mike (in Boston) it does not surprise me that your local market relies on co-hosts as there are precious few who can handle a full show on their own. If there is chemistry and balance between the ch-hosts, then it makes the show that much better.

While things have changed at 590 not sure it has made a marked improvement – in fact it may be subtraction by addition. Not sure there is much that will change my listening habits especially the overly focused Leaf content.

I do not have the opportunity to listen during the morning show but clearly this decision is a plus. Brady on his own is not my cup of tea but it appears with Lang they are building an audience and may attract more given they now have the show! With PTS’ addition of Cox and Brunt the day’s bookends are strong.

However, what is sandwiched between them is not so good. Millard’s reinsertion makes the show weaker as Brady seemed to manage K&M much better. I must disagree with TSM that Blair is an upgrade over Hogan. With the current incarnation of his show and his inexperience in broadcasting, I find it painful in most segments. He really, really needs an experienced co-host and change of format. As for Krystal, ‘nuff said. Like others I fondly remember Stellick’s Big Show, it was never going to win any awards but it was innocuous fun.

There is some good young talent which could be developed in the other slots which should have negated the return of Rumack. When I have caught the “kids’ shows” on the weekend I think there is promise and potential with the right mentoring.

Sam In Scarbrough
Sam In Scarbrough
March 10, 2011 3:49 pm

Is fan/590 really any better than a year ago?
Morning show ,yes maybe..
9-12 all leaf talk and listener calls with a huh huh aaa A host that has turrets?
1-3 well no need to comment
PTS 3-6 ?? Back to 4-7 where It should be..
Not that I care,but how much $$$ is boy PD costing rogers with all his mistakes??? (actually looks good on em)
Oh and hi Bobcat

March 10, 2011 3:54 pm

I guess the Fan has been overloading on Leafs talk lately. To be honest, I now mostly listen on podcast, so I just listen to segments I want to hear.

I’d like to hear more Raptor talk, but this has been a season from hell, so I get that they’re on the backburner. I’m hoping The Fan gives us good baseball stuff in the summer. If they do that, I’ll be fairly happy with the overall balance. Although I’m sure Andrew Krystal will be doing topics on ‘What do you think of Dion Phaneuf’ in July and August..ugh.

Lots of hockey talk makes sense Oct – June, but doing heavy hockey topics in summer when there is no hockey news irritates me (ie Watters Show, Leafs Lunch etc). Whether you’re a huge fan or not, it just makes for boring radio.

Dileno
Dileno
March 10, 2011 4:06 pm

All good moves in my opinion – the Morning Show announcement is the best of the past year.
Maybe they will find something more for Gord Stellick to do. They really should put PTS back to 4:00 to 7:00

PBI
PBI
March 10, 2011 4:12 pm

It was only a matter of time before the Brady/Lang morning show become official, as others have pointed out, the two work well together (although Brady could probably mesh well with anyone thrown next to him) and the show seems to have a “two guys just shooting the shit with some very well thought out sports opinions mixed in” vibe which is a lot of fun to listen to.

At this point, that’s the only show I listen to with Blair and Krystal being absolutely painful to tune in to and PTS stacked to the tee with guests so this is great news.

Mike
Mike
March 10, 2011 4:14 pm

My god… I can’t believe all the Krystal haters.

I’d rather listen to Andrew Krystal than Doug or Roger… and god help us if Gord Stellick gets more air time. He’s an okay guest, but he’s a HORRIBLE host.

I’m pretty tired of Jeff Blair and his Bob McCown imitation. Blah blah blah, the NHL sucks. Blah blah blah, the Leafs suck… until Burkie comes on, then he kisses ass.

Brady and Langer are great… love both guys. They know sports, and are not negative boobs like Blair and McCown.

_Justink
_Justink
March 10, 2011 4:14 pm

Although I like the other changes, I’m VERY disappointed Mccown’s show didn’t get put back to 4-7. I listened to it during the 6 o’clock hour more than any other time and now that that’s been taken away I don’t listen as often anymore. The show really should be moved back to 4-7, and I know Mccown agrees with me as he’s stated publicly.

Norman
Norman
March 10, 2011 4:23 pm

I like most of the changes however the time from 1 pm – 3pm I will not tune in. Andrew Krystal has been a disaster no matter what his time slot has been. He belongs on a news and current affairs station. Sports is not his element. Greg Brady has rocked in the morning. I still need to get used to Jim Lang. I would prefer Stellick to do the 1pm – 3pm shift like he did back in the day !!!

lagerandale
lagerandale
March 10, 2011 6:33 pm

I feel the worst of this news is Millard back on HC. There is a reason they let him go, he talked like an ex-player and my God he is a kiss ass. I enjoy Brady in that slot and at least he has some backbone up against Kyper and McClain…….As for AK its just a matter of time before hes sent out to pasture for good, he’s just to terrible to keep around for much longer. They will try him in this slot, get the same results and scramble once again.

Darrell
Darrell
March 10, 2011 6:42 pm

I am the minority here…
Don’t mind the morning show, but, I actually found myself intrigued by the Krystal Show. I liked Reonick, the pacing, the humour, the variety. Did not like him cutting people off or his lack of sports knowledge. I am now more inclined to switch to something else because of boredom.
I also don’t mind when a host is by himself. Sometimes it’s annoying to have someone chirping away for the sake of it (i.e the new morning show). Like Brady, but I think the morning show should bring that high-entertainment x-factor – at least Krstal had it sometimes.

mario
mario
March 10, 2011 7:02 pm

Watching Toronto sports on City tv at 6:30 there is Bob McCowan doing a half hour with Kathryn Humphreys on the Chara hit and taken calls… Also Brunt and Blair on Sportsnet Connected..two seperate segments..All hockey..
Wow I know they are all Rogers stations and personalities just found this interesting… Really turning up the heat since Pelly came on board…

Rob in Aurora
Rob in Aurora
March 10, 2011 7:37 pm

I like that morning show – it will last a long time.

I can’t STAND Millard. I will not listen to that. I find Kypreos annoying (although informative) and McLean wants to die in his own arms …Stellick could have stepped in and done the whole afternoon from Hockey Central on… now you have a chopped up schedule after 9 am (Blair is so-so, then one hour of unintelligible noise and bullying of Millard by the two “superstars” – then it is Krystal who oozes a lack of self confidence (and his show is awful)…I don’t like McCown anyway – so I’m out (Sounds like Dragon’s Den, eh?)

Rob in Aurora
Rob in Aurora
March 10, 2011 7:41 pm

On behalf of Bruce Dowbiggin, I would like to thank TSM for this great info…

TommyD
TommyD
March 10, 2011 7:56 pm

I like the choice of Brady in the morning. I couldn’t stand Krystal and didn’t listen but I instantly got back into the habit of having the FAN on in the morning when Brady took over. Jim Lang is OK, but so far to me, to steal a line from McCown, ‘he is just a guy’. We’ll see.

I liked the choice of Jeff Blair from the beginning, but I wondered if he would be able to carry the entire 3 hours on his own, without a regular sidekick. When I have been able to listen I have been pleasantly surprised about how well he was able to pull it off. Having said that, it makes sense to add a sidekick. Except for Krystal at the moment, he is the only one on his own. Even the king himself, the Bobcat, is rarely on his own, so it is too much to expect a radio newbie like Blair to pull it off long-term.

Fox Sports overnight was gawd awful when it was on the FAN. Don’t even think of bringing that back.

Great to have a forum like this to share with other people who pay attention to this stuff.

March 10, 2011 11:35 pm

It took Dowbiggin half a day but he finally got around to telling us what we already heard from TSM this morning:

If it is true that 590 was in competition with FAN 960 (Calgary) and TSN Radio over Lang’s services then I find that interesting…………Lang has been a TV and internet guy for a long time so I never really thought of him as a viable option for radio

dsscpu
dsscpu
March 11, 2011 12:12 am

I am sure he had to double and triple check his sources before getting his editor to clear it 😉

Bryan
Bryan
March 11, 2011 12:41 am

I mostly listen to the podcasts now because as a baseball fan the Leaf’s and hockey DOMINATE the market. I mean if as a baseball fan I can only listen to 1 hour of the Jeff Blair show, out of all of the shows, I think something is a bit off. I will however listen to PTS because Bob mixes it up and doesn’t go on for an hour about one specific thing, information overload. I can’t wait for the summer to come and get rid of the leafs talk for once. Thankfully competition is starting to come and hopefully the fan will start diversifying it’s content a bit more.

Oh, and don’t get me wrong I’m not hating on hockey because I love to watch it and listen, if the team is actually worthy of the attention it’s getting.

Doug
Doug
March 11, 2011 5:36 am

The Game was Strombo, Marek and one more person who i forget. The time they did the Sports Update in Ukranian was priceless.

I hope Samut gets to do all sorts of fun stuff overnight.

Kollins is obviously not calling the shots anymore folks – its Pelley……Krystal gets lots of money so they need to use him somewhere…..but it wont last forever. Yes – Stellick would have been good back in 1-3 or even with Brady in the morning but that would be admitting a mistake of course!

Rome
Rome
March 11, 2011 11:35 am

This place is so great, people who remember “Game!” The third guy was Bob Mackowycz jr. who was mostly a producer during the days on other shows while at the Fan, then he worked for OTR during it’s beginnings and now CBCradio. That show was crazy, but wonderful. It was on every Friday night, I remember Jim Richard liked the show and would call up on his own lol. But he always seemed like a team guy who would help the newbies.

It was really intersting hearing guys who haven’t made a name for themsleves on air, just go out there and to their thing that was so different than anything else out there (Jim richards was somewhat similar but not to this extent) and do this unique and different type of show. Even though the show was non-conventional and silly, for me I could really tell there was some talent there, and turns out all those guys made bigger names for themselves after they left the Fan.

I was so upset when the show was taken off the air, but I think we all knew it was going to happen sooner or later. I remember the only time calling up the station when I heard it was “Best of” instead of Game and asking “What happened!”

oldsalty
oldsalty
March 11, 2011 1:23 pm

My favourite memory of the Game was when they had on a relative of a guy who played an X-wing fighter pilot in Star Wars. Perhaps it was Wedge, I’m not sure. The guys in the studio were out of their minds excited.

nick
nick
March 11, 2011 2:24 pm

Remember The old saying” you can’t suck and blow at the same time” well it seems Krystal has found the formulation!!

March 11, 2011 2:34 pm

Krystal said today that when hockey season is over in June his show will be 12:00 to 3:00 instead of 1:00 to 3:00

Sam In Scarbrough
Sam In Scarbrough
March 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Rockin”Ray Micheals on CKOC Hamilton (still just love the call letters) just got a new permanent listener from 12-3

March 11, 2011 8:01 pm

If they’re putting Krystal on 12 – 3, why not put Hockey Central on at 6? That gets rid of that annoying replay hour. Then in the summer you can just put a baseball/Jays pregame thing.

dsscpu
dsscpu
March 11, 2011 8:08 pm

Unless they decide to move PTS back to 4-7. in the summer they are going to be doing a 6-7pm baseball show Monday-Friday as-is, so perhaps putting Hockeycentral on from 6-7 is something they will look into over the summer.

It sure would help Kollins when deciding the program blocks, that’s for sure.

oldsalty
oldsalty
March 11, 2011 8:23 pm

I would love to read an oral history-type article here with Jim Richards, Strombo, Friedge, Marek et al. talking about their days at the Fan.

March 11, 2011 10:04 pm

I met Strombo years ago when he was at 102.1, and I was still in highschool, and I asked him about Game. He seemed genuinely excited that someone remembered the show.

He said he loved doing it, but he and the guys were always expecting it to be cancelled. He said he just got a phonecall one day from his boss, saying “Game is done” and that was that. He didn’t fight it or ask why, because he knew it was pretty out there for The Fan (at least that’s what I recall him saying, anyway).

Those were fun years at The Fan. A lot of talented, funny young guys on at crazy hours. Jim Richards had a hilarious Saturday morning show that I was a huge fan of.

RJ
RJ
March 12, 2011 12:15 pm

That blowhard Joe Warmington is claiming a ‘scoop’ in the Sun today re: the Rumack hire. Pretty sure i read it here first!

Rome
Rome
March 12, 2011 1:05 pm

Couldn’t have gone yesterday because they were first in Charlie Sheen being fired from his TV show. lol

Daniel, cool that you talked to Strombo, not surprised they weren’t surprised when the hammer came down. I know after every how I thought, “that was fun, hope it returns next week”. But it was just a matter of time somebody will complain and managment really wouldn’t put that much of a fight for it. Or maybe they didn’t even know it was on lol.

Jim Richards weekend morning show was a pretty good laugh, he did this week in review type thing where he got out of context quotes/lines from during the week from other shows. I have never heard somebody do that at the time, even though I heard people on other stations copy that afterwards.

March 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Yeah. I remember Jim Richards used to say Greg Sansone sports update next – his scores are correct to + or – 10 points’. I remember they did a joke ’25th anniversary show’ too. And ‘Find George’.

It was really more of a comedy show than a sports show. I thought it was the most hilarious thing when I was a kid.

The Fan really lost a lot of that fun irreverence as time wore on. Particularly in the pre June 2010 lineup. Stellick and Landry, Hogan solo, Doug Farraway, Roger Lajoie in evenings. I really found it had gotten stale and lifeless. By that point, I was mostly just listening to PTS.

Kollins has messed up a lot, but I do think his hires have brought back some of that fun energy. I enjoy the station more now than I have in a long while.

Suckwinder Passwinder
Suckwinder Passwinder
March 12, 2011 3:48 pm

@Daniel yes Richards was priceless!
I do DISAGREE about kollins he is not making decisions at fan/590 anymore.. why give the gas pipe to Stellick,Rumak,Mallard and then rehire them??
I am sure he has cost Rogers (Robbers) lots of money…and It looks good on them
The ONLY reason he has not got the boot from Pelley is that it would be too much BAD press for the fan/590 with TSN radio coming on board soon.He will be gone In July in hopes no one will give it big press in the slow summertime period.

Doug
Doug
March 12, 2011 5:15 pm

I guess you meant you agree with me because we said the same thing….I think you are right about Kollins getting the boot when its quiet but you never know.

dsscpu
dsscpu
March 13, 2011 10:13 pm

Looks as if TSN Radio is going to give Fan 590 a run for its money with the noon – 1pm hockey show…

“There’s also recently added Steve Kouleas, who is going to pull double duty, manning the noon-hour show on TSN Radio called That’s Hockey 2 Day in addition to hosting That’s Hockey 2 Nite on TSN2.”

dsscpu
dsscpu
March 14, 2011 12:14 am

@ TSM

Any idea when Rumack or Summit are going to start their new gigs?

Also when is 590 going to drop ESPN Radio. I would guess it would all be one large swoop?

March 14, 2011 1:36 am

According to Sammut’s twitter account, his show begins on Monday April 4 at midnight.

Apparently Rumack also starts in April but I’m not exactly sure what date

March 14, 2011 1:54 am

The noon hour hockey thing continues I guess.

Ugh…I can’t stand Steve Kouleas.

March 14, 2011 1:56 am

I mean seriously…why not put a hockey show on at 3? Or 6? Or anytime other than noon? I just don’t understand why they put two shows with the exact same content on against each other. The hockey fans will be split up, and as someone who isn’t a huge hockey fan, I probably won’t listen to either.

jack
jack
March 15, 2011 12:55 pm

I’ve listeend to Sammut in the past and what a doofus sounding broadcaster he is. Why does the FAN push producer who are wannabe quality broadasters only in their minds behind the nike .Give Rumack back the wekday overninght and stik Sammut weened overnight whe neveryoen is out partuing and won’t be listening to him. Less Saammut the better.

The Flake
The Flake
March 15, 2011 1:48 pm

The Old: Gord S. and is it Don or Dan…oh, yes…those guys whose claim to fame was the scores in their slo-pitch leagues and their curling games…who gives a rats ass about Dan or Don striking out with the bases loaded…he had ZERO sports knowledge about what WE want to hear about…thank the Lord they are gone…Gordo, on the other hand would be a good addtion as a twice a week guest on the Marilyn Dennis show…or, a sub for Anne Rohmer on CP24…he does have a good sense of humour…and…he’s quick on his feet…he was always my lunch bag letdown…Norm Rumack…I’m glad he is back…it’s a laugh at the right time of the day…and…I did get a tshirt or two…and…Norm was a dedicated FanBoy…doing really good interviews on his own $$$$ I’m willing to bet…to live events…Jeff Blair…he should have gotten the part as King George the V1 in the King’s Speech…he would have won the Oscar…can you imagine Good Old King George coming on to tell the British Empire that they are going to war with Germany…and…then as he stammers and studders…he says something about the Leafs…something like: “My Fellow Countrymen…we are at war…even though the Raptors are here…the…LLLLLeafs mmmaaaayyyy bbbbbeeeee ccccoming in the New Year….what a joke he is…how could he sub for the Bobcat…he shouldn’t be sent to wash his new Jag…imagine McGown getting into his car…thinking that his fancy Sirius Radio is tuned to some classical music station…and…all he hears is Gord S. on the black and blue (is that the name of the show)???…PLEASE BRING HOGAN BACK ANYWHERE!!!!…great guy…great show…only thing I didn’t like was his overuse of “cool lingo”…Mike always went to the “flick” never the show…what a dude!!!…but, he is an easy listen…Miss Ya Mike…Norm back on the weekend…great…who listens anyway…we’re too drunk or otherwise discombobulated and he’s perfect for that…boys…you gotta dump this Blair (Witch) Leaf topic will we talk about today…please…

xxoo,

The Flake

Darrell
Darrell
March 15, 2011 10:11 pm

Terrible year for the FAN 590 listeners – having to endure the crap Don Kollins has been giving us..

I hate the Andrew Krystal coming to Toronto experiment and then refusal to fire him when most of Toronto chatlines are saying how terrible he is. Don Kollins clearly has no idea what he is doing. I remember hearing near the beginning that Krystal was calling all men who watched Battle of the Blades “homosexual” in a sense and asking men to turn in their “man cards”. Then a few weeks later – he has this homosexual lust for Jeremy Roenick having him as a guest SO OFTEN!? As a completely heterosexual guy – I remember blasting him for his comments and then getting cut off for my remarks. Since that day – have never listened to another show of his on FAN 590 airwaves.

Don Kollins fires guys and then rehires them a while later (Mike Hogan with Argo football this summer, Gordie Stellick and now Rumack come to mind).

I’ve listened to the FAN (since the 1430 days). Clearly and obviously Kollins has screwed this station up. Andrew Krystal has been on every time slot except McCowan and he still stinks. Is Kollins trying to force Krystal on us? We hate him… Get rid of him or both of them. The 9-12 noon slot was first granted to Krystal and then Eric Smith and then that was switched over to Jeff Blair soon after. If Kollins is so happy and excited to announce Brady & Lang together – why not do this six months ago??? The late night time slot was dropped for ESPN?

I miss the late night chatter with the likes of Rumack & Lajoie late at night. Mike Hogan did talk a TON of football but he was ten, twenty, thirty times better than Andrew Krystal. Stellick & Landry’s comedy did get stale after a while but they had such a stronger rapport compared to Greg Brady & Jim Lang.

Don Kollins & Doug Farraway are the ones that have to be ousted and then maybe the station we love could return to some sort of order & dignity.

awguy
awguy
March 17, 2011 8:59 pm

Hahahaha! I totally forgot about “find George. I used to love that bit when I was younger. Jim Richards was great, I had a paper route and listened to him EVERY Saturday morning on my little earpiece radio as I was delivering papers.

@Rome The bit I think you are referring to was the “highlight reel” They used to compile an audio collage of all the funny moments on the station that week.

Does anybody remember Jim’s April Fools joke? “Disco 590”. He played disco songs for an hour and even took requests!

Man I miss that show.

Michael
Michael
March 17, 2011 9:07 pm

The ‘Game’! So glad other people remember this show. I use to stay up late every Friday and listen to it. I would love to hear some those shows now.

Brent
Brent
August 19, 2011 10:43 am

Brady could do with being a little less argumentative and speak less about himself. Biggest attention whore on the station. And he could also ease up in the asshole department.

I like the duo less now than I did when they first started. And…maybe I’m wrong, but I thought he wanted to go back to the noon hour slot. He whined about the hours etc. at the start.

And Lang…you get the vibe that he’s a super nice guy, but boy is that voice and his incessant whining grating.

The Flake
The Flake
August 19, 2011 11:57 am

It continues to be a joke…Gord Stellick…with his “Stellectricity”…soes he not get that he got fired for talking about his slo pitch/curling league and that sickening “lunch bag letdown”…I like Gord…I think he’s funny…but…”Stellectricity”…come on…it’s Grade 3 stuff…and…we’re sports fans…dump the stupid nomenclature…quite talking slopitch and curling…NO ONE CARES…and…good luck to Landry…but, has he ever even played a sport…he knew nothing…Blair >>> it’s like the Blair Witch Show…stammering to shove his opinions down our throats…he’s not articulate…talks hockey year round…or…he’d be gone…and…he is THE cure for insomnia…the only saviour for this station…Is PTS…and…that’s it…BTW…I like Hogie…find him a spot..

Fordfan
Fordfan
January 12, 2012 2:00 am

Jeff Blair is one of the most insipid, predictably annoying, milquetoast “personalities” the Fan has ever foisted upon the listening public. Do the audience a favour and replace Blair immediately, with dead air if necessary, as silence would be infinitely preferable to the brain-dead piffle he spews out.

Terry Baker
Terry Baker
February 27, 2012 6:49 pm

Why do you bother having experts on the phone with your hosts when the hosts (especially Brady, Blair) launch into the 2, 3 & 4 minute self promoting stories expounding their knowledge concerning the question they’re about to ask the expert. I’m sure these experts are capable of answering the questions without being steered to the answer the host wants to hear. I, like most listeners I know, don’t give a rats behind what your hosts think. Just ask the bloody question and let us listen to what the experts have to say.
You should also try to add MORE commercials, traffic reports etc. to your daily programming schedule. I shut the radio off when I know they’re coming on. More money making time for you will give me more time to recover from my accumulated angst, amassed while having to listen to your hosts.