Blair and Kypreos On Matt Cooke Suspension

Jeff Blair and Nick Kypreos had a lively debate about the Matt Cooke suspension today. You can listen to it here or I’ve posted a summary below:

Blair – Why didn’t league ban Matt Cooke for the rest of the season? Why pick an arbitrary number. He can recover from a $200k hit.

Kypreos – The league doesn’t have Matt Cooke’s head on a plate so that disappoints you. Essentially he is done. His season is over.

Blair- You can’t say it’s over, can’t say, your team sucks so bad were going to say your done for the 1st round. What is more impactful, saying your done for the rest of the year or you are done for the regular season and round one of the playoffs.

Kypreos- The act normally would result in a 2-3 game suspension. When you add all the other factors in, it’s a big price. The rule in society in general is you get a chance to rehabilitate yourself.

Blair- If you commit the same crime 2 or 3 times you are looking at a severe penalty.

Kypreos – In hockey this is a severe penalty

Blair- No it’s not- Dale Hunter got more games

Kypreos – If the guy was carried off a stretcher it would have been the rest of the year- if it was 15 years ago it would have been a 2min penalty. The temperature has changed and he’s essentially done for the rest of the year

Blair- He’s not done for the rest of the year, what if they win the cup and he gets his name on the cup.

Kypreos – Then he would have been out a month- that’s a significant suspension- you want him kicked out?

Blair- yes, why not, why not

Kypreos- we don’t work that way, he’s been humiliated

Blair – good he should be humiliated, this isn’t his last contract

Kypreos- It shouldn’t be his last contract, he’s a good hockey player. Lemieux has basically told him that you either change your game or else, I don’t think he’s heard that before, you have to give him a chance to change his game before you throw the book and throw away the key

Blair- Pens had no choice but to back the league. Why was he wearing the A

Kypreos- There are pro’s and cons- the con’s are that he can’t keep his elbow’s down. He’s second in NHL in SH points.

Blair- This is the perfect guy to send the message to. He’s a clown on the ice but not just a goon. He’s a bit of a player. This isn’t Colton Orr. Until someone dies there won’t be serious action.

Kypreos- Even if a guy dies what will change?

Blair- if someone dies, like in the Steve Moore case where there’s a lawsuit that follows I have to believe it will change. I think the Moore case is behind this, maybe that’s why the league can’t act more severely.

Kypreos- there’s a certain amount of risk people take, we understand when we step on the ice there’s a certain amount of risk, I am tired of hearing someone’s going to get hurt then we are going to change the rules. There is a certain level of risk in the game.

Kypreos- I’m going to tell you something I haven’t told Bob Mccown in 10 years, I really like your show.

Also good listening tonight was Bob Mccown and Damien Cox with Mat Cooke’s agent Pat Morris. There was more stick handling by Morris to the questions form Cox and Mccown.

What where they thinking? Hayes and Watters open up their show with would you go to more Blue Jays game if there was a new stadium. Interesting subject, don’t get me wrong, but why now??? When there’s Lawrence Taylor ,sports writers getting nailed for running prostitution rings it’s a funny time to be talking about Blue Jays attendance.

@yyzsportsmedia

March 23, 2011 12:44 am

Many people think Kypreos is a dinosaur when it comes to his views on hockey…………..but when it comes to breaking news he has been on a roll lately………..he broke more trades than TSN did on trade deadline day……….and he was the one who broke the news on the Matt Cooke suspension…………..he seems to have done a pretty good job of accumulating reliable sources

mario
mario
March 23, 2011 4:17 am

Good dialog beteen Blair and Kypreos…this is what sports talk radio is about two opposing views with the story of the day…. agree or disagree with either of them but good listening….keep it up…..

PTS interview with Pat Morris someone throw him a life line…this is what McCowan does best and why he is #1… TSM good point….and thanks for the audio…

rob in aurora
rob in aurora
March 23, 2011 7:27 am

Mike – Please don’t take offense to this, this isn’t a smack down – but, as Don Cherry would say, I am “sick up and fed” with this “scoop’ and “breaking stories” nonsense and i think Kypreos and his insecurity is behind your assumptions (Where did you hear that about deadline day?): With the Internet and electronic media there is no such thing as scooping anyone else or breaking a story. Those terms relate to the days of making deadlines in print – if you missed the deadline, your competition gets a scoop. It also has to do with Jock Sniffers like Red Storey having a cosy relationship with the Habs and getting the scoop about an impending trade. Those days are effecrtively over as these guys all work the phones, text, BBs and iPads, whatever

Trust me, no one got the Matt Cooke news faster than anyone else – Do you think the league favours Nick Kypreos ahead of any other stakeholders in the league? They all get the same announcements at effectively the same time. If one outlet gets the story on the air 30 seconds faster, it is not really a “scoop” – that term implies exclusivity.

I kept twitter on all deadline day. The TSN guys would tweet evey move – Kypreos didn’t tweet all day (once bitten, right?)…I finally stopped following the dummy when he tweeted “welcome to Gregg Zaun” to a fake Gregg Zaun account, then had to ask forgiveness yet again. I figured, this guy just doesn’t get it. So if Nick is telling everyone he’s breaking stories first, good for him. He’s an ex player/commentator, not a journalist. You don’t hear real journalists/reporters making those wild claims – if they do, they are laughable (a certain G&M typist comes to mind)… The differentiator in sports media comes down to who like to read or listen to or trust with accuracy. I have posted this on other threads if it looks familiar.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
March 23, 2011 9:30 am

Well “the kipper” is certainly a different animal. I do agree for the most part that I find it funny how Nick is so proud when he can break a story about suspension or trade 30 seconds before someone else. In fact Bobcat was having a good interview going with former referee Lewis, when they had to break into for Nick to give his big breaking news. What was funny, was the information wasn’t given to Bob to include in his interview, but rather, the drama of Nick coming on the line, and then the wait for it, okay Nick what is it.

I think it is reflective of the complete paranoia going on with impending TSN Radio.

As for the Blair/Kipper discussion, it is good to hear those discussions. Again with Nick, if he is going to use “we” when referring to the players, then he needs to remember all he is representing is alumni. You can’t be we and a member of the sports media at the same time (in my opinion). At least not in terms of looking at issues with an open mind.

Nick has to be careful in that the game does change every year a bit, and his continuous referencing of his playing days is getting dated.

Anyhow, on a closing note, I think NHL should have given Cooke all the playoffs. By only suspending 1st round, it is almost like a reward and invite to come back to the trough and pigout for Cooke.

Dileno
Dileno
March 23, 2011 9:35 am

“It also has to do with Jock Sniffers like Red Storey having a cosy relationship with the Habs and getting the scoop about an impending trade.”

If you are referring to the Montreal Gazette writer, I think you mean Red Fisher. Red Storey was the former ref and hockey commentator who was hardly a “jock sniffer”

rob in aurora
rob in aurora
March 23, 2011 10:30 am

Ahhg! – – I knew that was wrong when I typed it! (thanks D. for correcting me or I wouldn’t include this apology) . Red Storey was a true legend – a great all round athlete as well as an NHL ref – and he was a great character in Canadian sports who always told great stories of breaking up fights and old hockey rivalries. My apologies to the late Mr. Storey “in absentia” for the absent minded blunder…
…Red Fisher? He was the cranky old guy with a high opinion of himself that bugged me when we were forced to watch him on the hotstove on HNIC. (I will await the onslaught of irate Habs fans coming to his defense now with indignant “how dare you”s and ” typical Leaf fan” slings and arrows).

Matt
Matt
March 23, 2011 11:06 am

This is why the safety mongers irk me so much. Cooke received a VERY harsh penalty for his specific infraction and it’s never good enough for the safety police. Like it or not, Cooke does and should have rights here. You can’t just lock him a dungeon and throw away the key, especially if the PA cares even a little bit about him.

RC
RC
March 23, 2011 11:50 am

This was a stupid and dangerous act by a Cooke – a repeat offender and the suspension fit the crime – The Pens supported it and Sather even called the number of games – The playoffs were “over and above” what well informed media members expected. Darcy Regier was outspoken about this stuff and thought it was handled well.

I get tired of guys like McCown and Blair acting like the guy commited a murder. Enough already. It will happen again, no one will die and the ensuing penalties will eventually make their point to the offenders.

This act is two weeks removed from everyone saying “we need to do something about this” if someone else other than Cooke did it.

McCown doesn’t watch hockey and relies on others in order to formulate most of his opinions about the game. He can’t act like he’s the voice and conscience of the masses when he barely watches and fllows it so little.

David
David
March 23, 2011 12:14 pm

@ Matt:

How many careers (in addition to Savard’s) do you suggest Cooke end before it would be fair to toss him in the dungeon?

And what’s the PA done for Steve Moore? I honestly don’t know the answer, but thought you might.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
March 23, 2011 2:18 pm

I am guessing my comments made me a safety monger. Just to clarify my position. I do recognize that this current suspension is indeed Harsh. The problem I have, is that this is his fifth suspension, and he was not suspended for the hit on Savard.

Based on the remarks Cooke is now stating, his regret, his understanding of the need to change, if we are to believe this from him. Does this not lead us to believe that it took a heavy suspension to sink in to him that his way of play is not acceptable. And if so, and this is his 5th suspension, then 10 games and 1 playoff series is not enough.

The problem is we have a league with absolute zero consistency and along with it a single individual responsible for punishment who has a bias in the league.

If this is the new watershed point for the league, then I think it will suffice, my worry this is only a suspension for Matt Cooke, and people like Dany Heatley can continue to get away with (no won’t say it) headshots.

Sam In Scarbrough
Sam In Scarbrough
March 23, 2011 3:48 pm

@Gerry Yes Mr.Cooke has “regret” did he not see any replays from his previous FOUR suspensions?
Sadly, Hackey is now catered to ameicans.
Mr.Cooke’s hit got big time air on ESPN.
Again,very sad,but that’s what Gary wants.

Steve
Steve
March 23, 2011 7:15 pm

Heard a good point from Zeisberger on PTS, to the effect of “How can this guy look at Sidney Crosby’s empty locker before every game and still act the way he does?”

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
March 24, 2011 1:25 pm

@Steve, further to the question posed by Zeisberger, on the Team 990 just prior to the suspension being announced Mitch Melnick was discussing Cooke and questioning if the guy was just a complete idiot or wondered aloud, does this league (or Cooke specifically) have a steroid problem. He didn’t delve into it, but asked the question. You have to wonder when you see hits like Cookes or the rage we saw in Gillies in that Pittsburgh game.

If the NHL is like every other Pro League with players willing to do/take anything to get ahead, we can rest assured that with Donald Fehr as the head of the NHLPA he will have his zero tolerance on Steroids…..lol

Matt
Matt
March 24, 2011 3:32 pm

@ David:

I don’t really understand why you’re saying that he ended Savard’s career when he’s been re-concussed twice by other people since he returned from injury.

David
David
March 24, 2011 7:05 pm

@ Matt

You are correct. I omitted the word ‘effectively’. He is a shell of his former self and obviously ‘damaged goods and if we see him on the ice again, you’d have to assume it would be against the wishes of many friends/family, etc.