Classic Moments In Sports Radio Phone Call History

Top of the Tuesday morning to you.

I have to admit I did a double take when I looked at the headline on my ipad this am that read sportswriter jailed for running prostitution ring. A couple of things entered my mind, the first was, sounds like a great idea for an NBC sitcom. The second was, what ever happened to these guys just going to the track. Lastly, of course I wanted to know which member of the Toronto sports media got caught. Yes, I had my suspicions about a couple.

Anyway. In law school they taught us to never ask a question for which you are unprepared for the answer.

In radio, while I never went to school, I am pretty sure that’s why they invented screeners.

So Greg Brady and Jim Lang are talking about this story as their show wrapped up and opened up the phones. The question they wanted folks to answer was, which Toronto sports media member would you like to see busted for running a prostitution ring?

Brady announced that they wouldn’t screen the calls, and well, I am pretty sure they didn’t. I am also POSITIVE that the 2 guys who called in read this website on a regular basis. You all have heard my voice, so you know it wasn’t me.

First guys response, and no I am not making this up ” I want it to be Andrew Krystal so it gets him off your station”

Seriously.

There is a good 3 count of awkward silence before they take another call:

“I would hope it was Andrew Krystal so I wouldn’t have to listen to him on your station”

There are times when those who call in to sports radio are just so predictable. This was hilarious radio. Brady and Lang tried to joke after the 2 callers, but man was it funny. I am not sure if they will put the audio up or edit out the last segment, but it comes just before the end of their show.

A Good Cause

If you are looking for a way to donate some money to the cause in Japan, local Toronto sports media member Eric Smith has designed a cool t-shirt in support of the cause:

“On March 11 the world watched in horror as the citizens of Japan were rocked by the devastation of the earthquake and tsunami that struck their country. Homes were destroyed, lives were lost, and the Far East was left in ruin and chaos.

People around the globe have been moved emotionally and financially to assist since these natural disasters wreaked their havoc, and one local broadcaster is trying to raise even more awareness and money for the Japanese through a unique venture.

Eric Smith, colour analyst for the Toronto Raptors on Sportsnet Radio the Fan 590, has designed the HOPE for Japan t-shirt; turning to fashion and art as a way to stimulate additional funds to aid Japan.

With the help and expertise of Entripy Custom Clothing (Entripy.com) and Desi Wear, Smith’s HOPE for Japan t-shirt combines his love for basketball with Japan’s “Rising Sun” flag.

“As a basketball broadcaster, my hope is that hoops’ fans across Canada and around the world will purchase this t-shirt and join me in watching the sun rise again and shine brightly on a rejuvenated and prosperous Japan,” said Smith.

“I can’t say enough about the generosity of the folks at Entripy Custom Clothing (Entripy.com) and Desi Wear. They have graciously donated all the t-shirts and have agreed to handle all logistics of the ordering and delivery process as well,” says Smith.

7.5-oz, 100% cotton ring spun jersey knit. Euro style fit in neck, shoulders and sleeves. Seamless double-needle collar for more comfort.”

It’s only $20 and it’s a cool looking t-shirt order yours today!

So, I have to ask the question (and Krystal is not a valid answer), which Toronto sports media member is most likely to be busted for running a prostitution ring?

The winner gets an Eric Smith T-shirt

Doug
Doug
March 22, 2011 9:39 am

my Answer: Al Strachan; he is retired and probably bored and just look at the guy. I’m sure the only way he gets some is to pay for it

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
March 22, 2011 10:17 am

I how I wish I had heard that. Very Funny. I think I would have called in though and asked that Allan on the whatever Expressway was caught. He may as well be considered a Toronto Sports Media, I mean no matter what time of day you turn on the radio, one can’t escape the visceral ramblings of Dear Allan.

Cheers to whomever brought this humour to the Fan. And thanks TSM for sharing, if you have a way to find the audio and post it would be a great listen.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
March 22, 2011 10:18 am

Sorry, meant to start, Oh how i wish,

Any chance we can get an edit feature added to the site?

Chris
Chris
March 22, 2011 10:37 am

It was VERY funny stuff. Brady mentioning Rosie DiManno as someone he wishes it was, and Lang’s (OH SHIT! this could get us in trouble) uncomfortableness had me laughing out loud in the car.

SportsGuy46
SportsGuy46
March 22, 2011 10:37 am

Seriously though, Andrew Krystal would be the one running the coke ring with all the coked up working girls. I’m sure he has a strong pimp hand.

Glad he is no longer the morning guy.

Opinionated
Opinionated
March 22, 2011 10:49 am

Most likely to be busted . . . . gotta be Stormin Norman — it could just be the next iteration of the sponsorship he had!

lagerandale
lagerandale
March 22, 2011 11:16 am

Landsberg, I gotta think his pay at TSN is not enough to pay for all the work he has had done.

R3000
R3000
March 22, 2011 11:31 am

Is Andrew Krystal the Joey McLaughlin of TSM?

Naaahhh… I actually felt sorry for McLaughlin.

Sam In Scarbrough
Sam In Scarbrough
March 22, 2011 11:34 am

Toronto sports media member without doubt Jeff Blair.
#1 He just looks like a shifty creep.
#2 He st-udders 10 times a minute and when I have seen him on TV he is always looking around like there is someone following him!!

A close second..well krystal ,he will need another job soon.

Chris F.
Chris F.
March 22, 2011 11:53 am

OMG! I wish I had heard that! Other than Krystal i’d say Roger “Oh for sure” Lajoie. I mean with a name like that he must have ties to the Montreal mob scene right right? LOL

Sam in Scarborough, I like Blair but you’re right. He’s got that look and demeanor to him that screams “shiftiness”. He looks like one of those guys you wouldn’t want to cross paths with when he’s angry or drunk.

Suckwinder Passwinder
Suckwinder Passwinder
March 22, 2011 12:08 pm

My vote goes to Kathryn Humphreys CITY tv,she even wears a pimp hat sometimes when doing the sports.

Mark M
Mark M
March 22, 2011 1:15 pm

Damien Cox – it’d explain his cranky mood (lotta paperwork when running a whole ring), why he never seems to have time to confront the players he rips. Plus some girls go for the shaved head look. It is shaved, isn’t it?

rob in aurora
rob in aurora
March 22, 2011 1:31 pm

Not going to mention the name – You guys can figure it out. A former FAN and Rogers Sportsnet personality (not Hogan…you’re getting warmer)…His public views would make him an obvious suspect. Motive (his general attitude towards women in the work force) … opportunity (time on his hands now).

March 22, 2011 1:42 pm

My guess would be Jonas Siegel………..and if he ever got caught he could always say it wasn’t him it was Jonah Sigel

PBI
PBI
March 22, 2011 2:39 pm

Leo Rautins/Eric Smith/Paul Jones/Jack Armstrong for me.

It’s so tough to get an honest perspective on the Raptors from someone who isn’t affiliated with the team in some capacity (Grange, Arthur and Feschuk are the only names that come to mind) that I think it’s actually slowing down and hurting the evolution of the basketball fans in this city.

Instead of just calling a spade, a spade, and admitting that the Raptors are in a tough spot and should look to move forward from both Colangelo and Triano, they play into the inferiority complex of the Toronto sports fan by claiming that it would be hard to upgrade over one of biggest name executives in the sport even though he has done a terrible job.

I really wish we had some fresh perspectives in the basketball media in this city.

Raptors Devotee
March 22, 2011 2:55 pm

I vote for Marty York. Nobody was better at fabricating things out of thin air than Marty, so we know where his ethics are, although personally I always found him entertaining. He certainly has enough time on his hands to be behind it since nobody would ever hire him again.

dsscpu
dsscpu
March 22, 2011 3:48 pm

Surprised no one said BRUCE DOWBIGGIN. He obviously is spending all this time behind the computer, so I am sure he is up to no good… ;-p

March 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Hahah..

Just listened to the segment on Podcast. I’m glad The Fan gave the morning show to Brady and Lang. Fun show.

Oh…and totally Stormin Norman.

March 22, 2011 4:13 pm

By the way – speaking of Krystal – just reading his twitter, and he has had an interesting conversation about the way the city of Halifax is run (an interest for me because I’ve spent quite a bit of time working there).

He’s been so rough on The Fan..but I still totally think he could be very good on a news/talk station. He’s just not comfortable talking sports.

March 22, 2011 5:22 pm

FTFA: A veteran New Hampshire sports reporter pleaded guilty Friday to running a prostitution business in Massachusetts

it’s usually the cops who run the prostitution businesses down here. this is a curveball.

hopefully the Ontario government comes to their sense and legalizes sex work (as instructed to by the judiciary) in the near future, so these women won’t have to rely on either sports media or cops to ply their trade.

oh, if this was Toronto it would have to be Stormin’ Norman, given his strip club connections.

mikew
mikew
March 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Bill Watters aka Uncle Wilbar

Adhish
Adhish
March 22, 2011 7:47 pm

Speaking of Krystal, is this week a “planned vacation” or is something going on?

dsscpu
dsscpu
March 22, 2011 7:52 pm

Planned long before he even got the 12/1-3pm slot. He said on PTS last week that he was going to California and driving down the Pacific Coast Highway with his wife. I forget if he said it was a 1 or 2 week trip. Regardless, I wouldn’t read anything into it.

Adhish
Adhish
March 22, 2011 7:54 pm

Damnit. LOL

Tom
Tom
March 22, 2011 8:27 pm

I heard that Krystal just got replaced on his vacation by Greg Brady.

Ron
Ron
March 22, 2011 9:22 pm

This blog is awesome. And you really need to hear the podcast for the first caller for the true effect… insan-o hilarious.

Bill (Burlington)
Bill (Burlington)
March 22, 2011 11:04 pm

@Gerry(Burlington): your comment made laugh so hard! SO true…good ol’ Allan, always prefacing his comment with some fact from a sporting event in the 60’s or 70’s. haha…you nailed it, Gerry.

My vote would be Ron Maclean. I don’t tune into HNIC to hear your views.

Smack