More On TSN Radio Lineup

I had the opportunity to speak with James Cybulski this afternoon. I admit, I am really looking forward to his show. Yes, he is going up against PTS, yes they have a huge lead. After speaking to him though, (and yes I did speak to Krystal before his show too) I have a good feeling about the type of show he is going to have.

Cybulski is psyched to be hosting this show. “What a great opportunity to be talking sports for 3 hours a day AND getting paid for the privilege” he said. He is, also realistic with respect to the challenge ahead and the competition down the road. “This is the largest city in Canada. There are so many choices for the sports appetite. There’s TSN, Sportsnet and all the various channels they own. There is LeafsTV, Raptors TV, the Score. In radio, there really has been only one choice. I think it will be nice to offer an alternative, I think people will like having a choice.”

In addition to the “& Company” part of the show Cybulski will be joined by Gareth Wheeler who will be playing the dual role of producer/update person.

I am also told that Tim Preston will be producing the morning show with Mike Richards.

I’ve always thought we need another all sports station in this town. I am hoping TSN gets it right and provides the listener with a good alternative when needed.

@yyzsportsmedia

The Meatriarchy
April 1, 2011 3:27 pm

I am very excited by the prospect of a second sports station. HOWEVER if they pull the same old unoriginal
Leafs suck – fans are morons “Shtick” I will be off the station in less than a micro-second.

mario
mario
April 1, 2011 3:42 pm

Well best of luck to them….they will need all the help they can get… but it seems there is not alot of talent in side the GTA that already has not been tried before..still think Stelick should have a larger roll on the Fan… and they should bring back Hogan he was aways great with the CFL & NFL what are they waiting for….afternoons, nights, weekends…so long Crystal…

Sam In Scarbrough
Sam In Scarbrough
April 1, 2011 3:50 pm

This is how dumb MSM in Toronto is:
Toronto Sun & Sportsnet websites have reported TFC trade a few hours ago…
Since Sun website retracted…Sportsnet still going with it…
HOW dumb are these “interns” It’s April Fools day” did they check to verify???

David
David
April 1, 2011 4:42 pm

If Gareth Wheeler is on that show, I will definitely not listen; cannot stand that guy. If that’s what they have going against PTS, they will get crushed.

Carm
Carm
April 1, 2011 4:47 pm

Like most, I am looking forward to the launch of TSN Radio. Have to agree with Meatriarchy, if they follow the FAN’s lead and start telling me that the Leafs suck because the Fans are stupid, I’ll be disappointed.

If TSN is looking for more on-air talent, they should talk to Bryan Hayes of 640. He’s a young and upcoming talent with great knowledge of many sports. Some people have knocked 640’s foray into sports but they can’t dispute that they have had some incredible young talent work for them (Jeff Marek, Greg Brady and now Hayes)

dsscpu
dsscpu
April 1, 2011 5:15 pm

Gareth Wheeler? Tim Preston?

Chris F.
Chris F.
April 1, 2011 11:22 pm

I believe Wheeler hosted a show on Sun TV, The Grill Room or some fantasy sports show. I can’t remember off the top of my head.

I agree about Hogan, if TSN is smart they’d snatch him up and pair him with his ol’ pal Schultzy for a CFL show during the season or hell, even just a general football show that focuses on football of all kind (NCAA, Arena, CIS)

Dawg
Dawg
April 1, 2011 11:49 pm

No way I listen to anything with Gareth Wheeler. He doesn’t know how not to shout and doesn’t seem to have alot of intelligent sports opinions. Very weak.

April 2, 2011 12:22 am

Don Landry needs to find a home on TSN radio!! I miss his goofy personality and impressions. Is he working anywhere since the Fan?

April 2, 2011 1:47 am

Yeah. Randomly, I actually suggested yesterday that Wheeler could be a decent replacement for a guy like Roger Lajoie.

But if he’s part of a show going up against PTS? Yeah, it’s going to be a mismatch I’m sure. But like Cybulski said, nice to have options.

I agree it’d be nice to have TSN not be too negative with Leafs etc. Also, I hope they don’t overload on hockey like 640. Lots of hockey is good, but cover the other stuff adequately too.

April 2, 2011 2:53 am

When Cybulski says “there really has been only one choice, I think it will be nice to offer an alternative” it’s a bit of a slap in the face to Wilbur’s show, isn’t it ??

Cybulski is a bit of an uninspired choice for that show…………..he will be decent but they need more than decent to go up against McCown……………it looks to me like the strength of Cybulski’s show will be the various TSN personalties that will appear on it regularly…………TSN has an impressive stable of sports people, many of whom have an excellent sense of humour (Duthie, Hodge, etc)………….and the show will also apparently have input from some ESPN personalities like Shulman, who is an outstanding guest

johnny fever
johnny fever
April 2, 2011 9:29 am

SAM SAYS:
“This is how dumb MSM in Toronto is:
Toronto Sun & Sportsnet websites have reported TFC trade a few hours ago…
Since Sun website retracted…Sportsnet still going with it…
HOW dumb are these “interns” It’s April Fools day” did they check to verify???
Even MLSE knows enough NOT TO take away from another teams “thunder ” like Blue Jays opening day!!!”

Good call there, Sam.

PBI
PBI
April 2, 2011 4:55 pm

I was really looking forward to having an alternative to PTS before I heard Gareth Wheeler would be involved.

kyle
kyle
April 2, 2011 10:19 pm

99 — I had read a month or two ago that Landry had been heard on Radio One reading sports – Ontario feed (so not heard in Toronto where do local news)