Toronto Sports Media Roundup

I spent the weekend at hockey rinks. None of them pro rinks, all of the youth variety. I am working on a bigger story but a couple of things I wanted to point out:

First, not sure who saw this story last week, but it is part of the larger story I am working on:

“The Leafs are like that girl in high school. You know the one. You had a name for her.

Rhymes with hawk tease.

And what a tease. She tossed her curls, undid her top button, flashed a little thigh, wiggled a little tush — then flounced off, giggling.

Drove us nuts. And speaking of blue testicles…”

That’s from Mike Strobel of the Toronto Sun.

I’m not going to ruin the bigger story with my thoughts on that, but suffice it to say I was less than impressed.

Apparently, neither were the guys over at the Fan morning show. I haven’t had a time to listen to it yet, but it was on Friday.

Strobel, responded today:

“My momma taught me never to get into a pissing match with a skunk.

But Greg Brady just tore a strip off my hide — and I’m crushed.

It’s like being verbally abused by Andy of Mayberry or Marshall Matt Dillon.

I grew up worshipping Greg Brady, for crying out loud. He was the coolest of the Brady Bunch. My role model. What’s he got against me?

Plenty, apparently.

I didn’t know this, but Greg migrated from TV to radio and after bouncing around quite a lot has finally landed a gig at The Fan590, a Toronto sports station.”

Wow!

Let’s just say that the longer piece just get longer.

This should be an interesting duel to watch.

Lastly, it seems the Toronto Star is having a bit of an identity crisis. Didn’t they recently announce a new sports media writer? Anyways, Zelkovich is back with a column today about TSN radio. As you know I spoke to Cybulski last week. I was excited for the station to launch. Then I read this:

“No one will talk about sports in the same manner as I’ll be talking about sports starting April 13.”

Ummmm, does he know that the last guy who said something like that apparently had a rectal exam on air?

“In Calgary, my goal was to provide the best sports coverage with someone who actually knows what they’re talking about,” he says. “I’m a little bit different in that way because I was always a really good athlete. I went to provincials in four different sports.”

How do you spell ego Batman?

“We’re taking a run at everybody,” he says. “I’m being brought in to win the demographic. The FAN is in seventh place. If I ever thought that I was content to be sixth, I’d be out of this business.”

Certainly a lot less diplomatic than Cybulski won’t you say?

Should be interesting to say the least.

April 3, 2011 11:10 pm

The various quotes by Mike Richards in Zelkovich’s column are comical…………we’ll see if he can back up all of that tough talk…………I was not much of a fan of his when he was here before but it is definitely going to be interesting to have a guy compete against 590 just a few months after he rejected an offer from 590

I did like this quote from him:

“I’m not going to do what a lot of people do, which is use open phones for programming.”

I wonder if that is a not-so-subtle shot at Kollins, who seems to like having open phones as much as possible

Doug
Doug
April 3, 2011 11:17 pm

mario
mario
April 3, 2011 11:23 pm

Big talk…my money is still on the Fan…he says he will do this without a co-host…and little callers from Joe on the car phone…I am not big on callers either.. he sure better be long winded.. we will see the kind of big name guests he can bring in..Brady and Lang are fun and entertaining to listen too with a broad variety of topics and guests….bring back Zelkovich at the Star he always has good stuff…

Chris F.
Chris F.
April 3, 2011 11:31 pm

Well at least Richards isn’t lacking in confidence LOL I think it’s going to be really interesting to see how he does considering his morning show is 4 hrs compared to the Fan’s so he’s going to have to cover a lot of ground every day without being repetitive which is pretty hard to do especially when you have little to no phone callers.

As for the strobel/Brady thing that’s just disappointing to see but at least it’ll be fodder for good radio/columns.

April 4, 2011 3:03 am

Interesting that Richards said he didn’t go to The Fan because it ‘felt unsettled’. From an outsiders perspective….yeahhh I can see that.

If Richards becomes a star here, The Fan will regret missing out. Richards, Blair, Brady McCown could have been pretty strong. Having said that – Richards comes off as a bit of an A-Hole here. I like Cybulski’s attitude much more. I’m happy to check out both shows – but I do like Brady/Lang and McCown a lot.

I can’t believe Mike Strobel is employed by a major market newspaper as a writer. The two articles I read came across like rambling commenst on an Internet message board. And brutally unfunny.

Dave from the suburbs
Dave from the suburbs
April 4, 2011 6:28 am

“Hate to be a grammar nazi but its duel not dual, LOL. Anyways I agree with your thoughts on Mike Strobel’s column an odd analogy to say the least.”

Dual makes damn good turntables. 🙂

Strobel is as funny as a hang nail. That whole Brady Bunch reference is so sophomoric.

April 4, 2011 8:18 am

Big talk…my money is still on the Fan…

as listeners, we need to avoid buying in to the ratings pissing match between these media giants. it makes no difference to me who wins the next 100 books. all those numbers mean is that the ad rates go up or down, and that shouldn’t be any listener’s concern.

the market is big enough for two all sports radio stations and that means we win no matter what. bring on the competition.

cam
cam
April 4, 2011 8:24 am

I do apologize but the first thing that came to mind in all of this was the Shakespearean exchange

Hamlet:Madam, how like you this play?
Queen:The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

I read a much different tone into the Richards interview of confident determination to be the best in his spot. There is nothing wrong with openly stating the goal is to win the largest demographic through a decidedly different approach. If it works, he has backed up his talk. Frankly if he never takes a call I will listen.

Much Ado About Nothing – is the “Tempest” brewing between Strobel & Brady, especially given the date of the original exchange. I find Brady sanctimoniously self-righteous when he gets in these modes. I would be far more impressed with the sincerity of his stand had he gone after some of the misogynist statements from on-air colleagues.

I probably would not have used Strobel’s analogy, but then I am not overly offended by it either. His cutting retort to Brady was delivered with a butter knife, which is a telling indicator of his writing skills. If this does degenerate into a full fledged media feud, one can only hope it is better then the Cox – Dowbiggin debacle of last year.

April 4, 2011 8:29 am

FTFA: Richards isn’t just aiming to beat his old employers at the FAN, whose offer to be its new morning man he rejected last year because “the money obviously wasn’t very good, but it was more than the whole thing seemed very unsettled.”

if they were lowballing Richards, then what hope do they have of keeping Bob, whose ego will demand top compensation? Then again Richards could just be trash-talking the competition, hoping to paint them as cheap. Or, maybe that’s a misquote, and he said the money obviously was very good.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
April 4, 2011 10:27 am

Heard the whole Brady/Lang ripping of Strobels April 1st story. Have to admit based on how Brady reacted, i then went and read the Strobel rag. Yes extremely tasteless analogy. He then went on to rip the Leafs and frankly can’t disagree with his thoughts on the team.

That said, Toronto Sun has been a sensationalisic rag for years. I don’t think anyone every opens up that tabloid to get the lowdown on any news. It has had a decent sports section and a sunshine girl. Other than that I think Burke put it best on what he would use this newspaper for.

I don’t quite understand why Brady went off like he did, Cam you hit it right on. If he is going to take this kind of a moral stand on media standards, then he better be prepared to challenge McCown and Krystal for their earlier banterings.

Will make for some entertainment but I really could care less about Strobel and his usual printed diarrhea. Not sure why Brady would pick this fight.

trackback

[…] ice hockey this season. Pateryn was drafted in the fifth round (128th overall more… Toronto Sports Media Roundup – Toronto Sports Media – torontosportsmedia.com 04/04/2011 Toronto Sports Media RoundupToronto Sports MediaI spent […]

dsscpu
dsscpu
April 4, 2011 1:14 pm
dsscpu
dsscpu
April 4, 2011 1:17 pm

The best part about that Toronto Star article is TSM gets a direct shout out!

Mullah_Kintyre
Mullah_Kintyre
April 4, 2011 4:07 pm

Is this a joke? Someone actually claims to be offended by “hawk tease”? Is this 2011, or 1911? Maybe Brady is already afraid of the upcoming morning competition from TSN Radio 1050, attempting to convince people to avoid Richards’ supposed crudeness?

I always liked Mike Richards, from the first time I heard him on 1050 CHUM sometime in the late 1980s (I think this will be at least his third stint there). That said, I hope he drops a couple of the outdated and hackneyed impersonations he was still doing in Calgary and replaces them with more contemporary ones. The Michelle Wie bit was never funny and at least bordered on racism, if not crossing the line. And not many listeners under the age of 40 would recognize Charlton Heston or Burl Ives, although I suppose Foster Hewitt could still be okay.

It should probably go without saying that Toronto’s interest in the CFL and rodeo is much lower than in Calgary. And I’m not kidding about the rodeo thing. I listened to him once or twice a week on the internet on Fan960.com, and several times heard him interviewing rodeo people.

Pete Kellogg
Pete Kellogg
April 4, 2011 5:44 pm

I read Strobel and heard the Brady rant and Strobel’s retort was inline with the sophomoric criticism offered by Brady and his sycophantic sidekick. Why use an atom bomb to kill a house fly? As for not knowing who Strobel is, he’s done a helluva lot to raise money for charity, namely Variety Village. Brady should do as much. Strobel is better known in Toronto and more respected than Brady could ever hope to be.

Rome
Rome
April 4, 2011 7:10 pm

Wow Brady bunch smack, I am sure Greg never heard that before. That’s the quick wit and originality you get with the Sun. There should be an over/under before it goes “Yeah his name is that of that character” to “Yeah we get it now you are lame” and Strobel passed it by a lot.

The initial article was brutal, if he thinks this season is comprable to the previous, he should be slagged.

Brady is not shy in making comments on others (which I think is great) he even made sutble comments on Krystal. And I would be cool and fine if comments are thrown back at him. But Strobel only return volley is a TV character comparision, well lets just say advantage Brady.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
April 4, 2011 7:19 pm

Interestingly, TSN had Strobel as a guest on OTR tonight. Is TSN Radio planning on featuring Toronto Sun as one of their crops of guests? Simmons is already on Reporters every Sunday, will Zeisberger still be a guest on the Fan after TSN radio starts?

mario
mario
April 4, 2011 7:44 pm

Will not watch TSN or OTR Landsberg is a joke…. as for Zeisberger I been hearing him more on PTS the past month or so…Do not think he has signed on with either station as a regular…

Steve P
Steve P
April 4, 2011 10:48 pm

It wasn’t even a sports column. But the Sun’s response is entirely appropriate if you’ve never heard of Brady – and that’s not hard to believe. Save PTS, there’s nothing on that station now that doesn’t make anyone think the heyday of the Fan didn’t end last June. Brady’s a phony. His clucking buddy Lang is dim. Blair equates crankiness with being interesting and Even the braintrust has acknowledged Krystal was a mistake.
TSN radio starts April 13 — not a moment too soon.

Carlo
Carlo
April 4, 2011 11:03 pm

It’s interesting that every time the Sun prints something noteworty, a bunch of people love to parrot their high school teacher and call it a “rag” or “sensational” and yet no one can actually cite anything that makes it any less credible than the Fan…or the Star, the Globe or the Post for that matter.
Besides Strobel is usually good for a chuckle on various topics— if you aren’t too soft and delicate to handle him.
I think the OTR thing was just opportunistic programming. There’s no sense in TSN aligning itself with a news columnist…even though there was no sense in a sorts outlet criticizing himself in the first place.

Mike V
Mike V
April 5, 2011 8:40 am

I’ve been less than impressed every time I’ve opened The Sun. Stroebel’s piece is par for the course over there.

Pete Kellogg
Pete Kellogg
April 5, 2011 6:50 pm

By “par for the course” you must mean accurate. Because it was.

Mike V
Mike V
April 5, 2011 10:03 pm

Accurate? A fictional character from a 70s TV series is hosting the FAN’s morning show?

No, I mean juvenile and dumb. Which it was.

Futhermore, I would guess that the weekly culmulative audience of Brady’s show is about the same as those who read the Sun.

Pete Kellogg
Pete Kellogg
April 7, 2011 8:50 am

No. Accurate in that Strobel had never heard of any other Greg Brady than the fictional TV character. I understand it was subtle. If I want juvenile and dumb I’ll listen to Brady berate newspapers and TV guys for using tired criticisms — and then doing the same thing himself while Lang agrees with him. Great radio. Just can’t get enough of that tired rhetoric.
Besides, neither of us has any idea what the cumulative audience is for Strobel or Brady is, so don’t pretend you do.