Toronto Sports Media: The More Things Change….

It’s getting hard to write the one story I have been working on with all these new stories every day.

Here is what I am hearing.

Word has it that the decks are being shuffled again over at the Fan 590, at least from a timing perspective. The Andrew Krystal slot will now run an extra half hour, from 1 to 3:30 p.m. (plus any time he spends with McCown). McCown’s Prime Time Sports will now run from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. Either Blue and White Tonight or the Toronto Blue Jays pre-game show will kick off at at 6:30 p.m.

Speaking of Blue and White Tonight, Gord Stellick has a new gig. Sounds like Stellick will be hosting a new hockey show, The Breakway with Gord Stellick, on Sirus/XM Radio daily from noon-2 p.m. The show will be produced by experienced hockey radio producer Josh Rimer.

Hockey fans will certainly have their options in the lunch hour. TSN Radio, the Fan 590 and now XM. For those with satellite radio there is now a quasi-local sports radio alternative to at least a part of the Krystal show.

The Fan changes are a little odd. Maybe I am wrong, but I don’t remember too many radio shows starting or ending on the half hour. Given the last ratings, I am surprised they are making this change. Are they that worried about TSN Radio that they are making a pre-emptive change? Makes little sense to me. I guess live McCown 30 minutes later is better, but… that also means an extra half hour of the hockey show. Do these two negate each other? I am sure all of you will answer that for me.

@yyzsportsmedia

Marsh
Marsh
April 4, 2011 11:06 pm

Glad to see Gord has a new gig. Not sure why they didn’t just put McCown back to 4-7; don’t think he needs the 30 minute headstart. Guess Krystal is being rewarded; not sure for what!

Chris F.
Chris F.
April 4, 2011 11:10 pm

I have enough trouble getting into the PTS timeslot and then when I get comfortable with it they change it again! I also can’t recall a radio show starting and ending on the half hour. This kind of tomfoolery is gonna make McCown think long and hard if TSN offers him a gig when his contract is up.

More Krystal? UGH!

Glad to see Stellick getting a new gig even though I don’t have Sirius. Oh well, I wonder if Gordo will slip in some course language? LOL

April 4, 2011 11:10 pm

Wow………….does anyone else feel like they are making it up as they go along at 590 these days?………….fire someone, hire them back…………hire someone for the mid-morning show, move him to the morning show, then move him to the afternoon show…………..move PTS up an hour, move it back (partially)

Oh well…………..never a dull moment, I guess

Mike
Mike
April 4, 2011 11:45 pm

In the words of Sir Charles Barkley:

That’s turrrrrrrrrrrrible, just turrrrrrrrrrrrrible

Terry
Terry
April 4, 2011 11:59 pm

initial reaction: well that’s dumb. on further examination: who cares if it starts on the half hour? It just keeps bob on later which is good and the pre-game shows are a half hour, not an hour as they should be. Probably makes sense to overlap TSN radio for another half hour as well. Once people get used to the timing, no one will care I don’t think. At least there is no john shannon!

headsup
headsup
April 5, 2011 12:30 am

Well never a dull moment over there at WKRP590. I could personally do without the extra half hour of Krapstal, but the removal of the repeated hour of PTS is at least a sensible step IMO. Congrats to Gordo on the new show. It will be interesting to see what they do with the 20/20 updates with the show change on the half hour. This could potentially mean only about fifteen minutes more of Krapstal (instead of the dreaded half hour), so all is not lost I suppose. Does anyone have any thoughts on Richy Rich’s constant ripping on Don Kolins’ name? Is this a schtick, or is Richy Rich getting tired of being a part of the Rogers monopoly?

April 5, 2011 3:09 am

My Goodness. It’s almost funny to see how often things have been tinkered with at The Fan. I think it’s good they’re moving PTS – but why not just go all the way back to 4 – 7?

So… now that Gord is doing a satellite show, will he still do work on The Fan?

Krystal said he was doing 12 – 3 when hockey is off. So does this mean he’ll be doing 12 – 3:30 in the summer?

Just off the top of my head…wouldn’t a more simple option have been something like: Brady/Lang 6 – 10, Blair 10 – 1, HockeyCentral 1 – 2, Krystal 2 – 4, PTS 4 – 7?

Anyway. Not bad news, but definitely a little weird.

mario
mario
April 5, 2011 3:50 am

This is truly a head scratcher…why dont they just get ride of Krystal or move to weekend duties when everyone is to busy to listen anyways..PTS 330-630 dose not matter to me I will still be listening…

April 5, 2011 7:32 am

i’m with Mike S, Kollins appears to be driving without a map, and has been going in circles as a result.

moving PTS to the half hour is frankly as idiotic as replaying an hour of the show one hour after it aired originally. will this mean we get a half hour of Krystal crossover? oh goody … maybe they can devote that segment to an in-depth discussion of the value of women’s sports.

If i told you a year ago that TSN RADIO was coming, how many of the FAN’s programming decisions would you have made in response? In my opinion they have wasted the last year tinkering around when they should have been building listener loyalty.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
April 5, 2011 8:04 am

There has probably been more change in the last year at 590 then there was the previous ten years combined, or at least it seems like it. It is a little bit like rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic when it comes to Krystal and his time slot.

Headsup: I don’t listen to often to HockeyCentral, but was listening the other day and yah, Richie Rich was all over Kollins, joking that he doesn’t actually have firing power etc… then going on how Pelley was the real boss. Hard to say with Richie when he is trying to be funny or making a point. I just find him way to arrogant all the time. It is bad enough with Kipper over the top all the time, but combined with Richie, just way too often both are yelling in the mikes trying to sound like the Genius.

Like we all said, we have a choice, I have no problems getting used to finding the programming i like on two stations.

Greg
Greg
April 5, 2011 9:38 am

With most Jays games starting in the 7ish range (unless on the west coast), a move to the old time slot made little sense if you are going to have any type of pre-game show. What I would like to have seen is PTS from 3:00 to 6:30. An extra 1/2 of Bob is better than the alternatives but he probably only wants to work 3 hrs (unless they throw him tons of money)

Dileno
Dileno
April 5, 2011 9:57 am

A half hour pre game show for either the Leafs games or Blue Jay games makes sense since 1 hour is far too long to set up a game. Even 640 who is the host broadcaster for the Leafs games only have a half hour pre game show.
Who cares if a show starts on the hour or the half hour? I start listening whenever I get to the radio.

Opinionated
Opinionated
April 5, 2011 10:02 am

Other than shows starting on the half hour, the only other bizarre part of this concept is the Blue & White show being only a half hour long.

When Wilner does the Blue Jays pre-game, he then sticks around and becomes a lesser part of the game broadcast, so having him on the air for only a 1/2 hour beforehand makes sense.

But what about Gord (or whomever replaces him) — what’s the sense of having someone come into studio for a 1/2 segment? Is this a pre-cursor to the FAN planning on obtaining the Leaf rights, so that Blue & White flows into play-by-play? If not, it seems to make for a very choppy section of listening with 3 hosts and 3 shows on the air between 5:45 asnd 7:15.

Chris F.
Chris F.
April 5, 2011 10:45 am

Headsup LOL on the WKRP590 comment. It really seems like the station that was once the Rock of Gibraltar is now so much in flux. It’s pretty depressing really…

As for Richie Rich, as others have said it’s hard to tel when he’s making a point or trying to be funny. I think there’s probably more than just a nugget of truth behind his pointed comments about Kollins.

The Historic
The Historic
April 5, 2011 11:52 am

As Opinionated surmised, this is likely the precursor to Rogers & SNRFan590 obtaining the Maple Leaf rights (which from what I’ve heard is a done deal).

If that’s the case, this moves makes quite a bit of sense since it seems to me because it completely stabilizes the drive and primetime programming. I think we all agree that 1 hour pre-game shows for the two primary sports properties (sorry Raptors) is just a little too long.

When Rogers announces that they have acquired the rights, I imagine the set-up will be very similar to Jays broadcasts where Gord Stellick acts as the Mike Wilner throughout the broadcast.

At that point, I think we’ll see Krystal shipped off to another station (I’m guessing we’ll see a “trade” of Krystal to AM640 since doesn’t fit anywhere else in Rogers in southern Ontario).

Of course, what happens to Andy Frost, Jonas Siegel and the Bill Watters show is still an interesting unknown.

Peace and Love!

James High Park
James High Park
April 5, 2011 12:00 pm

“Lastly, for now anyway, thanks to Raju Mudhar for the kind words in his story of last night.”

i hope this doesn’t mean you’re gonna be a kiss ass to those in the sports msm who acknowledge your existence

Il Duce
Il Duce
April 5, 2011 12:45 pm

Do you know if Chris Zelkovich is still with the Star? I tried to email him at his Star address and it bounced back.

Steve-O
April 5, 2011 1:12 pm

Il Duce: He just wrote a column in Monday’s Star- seems to do more general reporting right now, with the odd media column:

Adhish
Adhish
April 5, 2011 2:59 pm

Bobcat just stated that as of next week PTS will be returning to 4pm-7pm. Does this mean another hour of Krystal?? UGH!!!

April 5, 2011 3:02 pm

Does this mean another hour of Krystal?? UGH!!!

i wouldn’t be too sure. maybe they’ll do the best of prime time sports from 3-4.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
April 5, 2011 3:07 pm

TSM – Would have been good if April 1st you had posted a new lineup at Fan590 and put back essentially the lineup Nelson had when he left. Given how much Kollins keeps changing things up, he is now starting to put things back the way they were before he got there!

Chris
Chris
April 5, 2011 3:40 pm

I don’t really care if Krystal is on another hour or not as I don’t really listen to the Fan midday, but I’m really happy about PTS moving back to it’s regular time slot. I’m still commuting during the 6 O’clock hour, and I’d rather have live programming rather than a repeat. Sometimes I’d swith to Watters, but there’s only so much of him I can take.

Rob in Aurora
Rob in Aurora
April 5, 2011 3:52 pm

Don’t listen to McCown or Krystal. (“It’s like the sound of one hand clapping”)

Rearranging the chairs on the Titanic? TSN is going to hurt them, it’s a matter of how much.

Michael
Michael
April 5, 2011 4:00 pm

Hi

Bob told the audience that PTS will be back on 4 to 7 PM. He mentioned that they tossed around the idea of 4:30 to 6:30 PM. He relates that he is happy to go back to that time slot. This must be in reaction to be head to head with TSN.

Ciao,

Michael Zona

April 5, 2011 4:01 pm

McCown just announced they’re going back to 4 – 7 next week.

Chris F.
Chris F.
April 5, 2011 5:34 pm

Looks like TSM may have originally been right but according to Bob he thought it was the dumbest idea ever and eventually the group that said 4-7 won out as opposed to those within that were pushing for 3:30-6:30 (most likely Kollins)

All I can say is, i’m glad to hear PTS is going back to its old time slot.

Steve (in Hamilton)
Steve (in Hamilton)
April 5, 2011 6:00 pm

This is not related to PTS, but this morning I heard a perfect example of what is wrong with the current morning show. I like the two fellows, but they are so obsessed with mindless chit-chat and preparing themes for phone-ins that they miss the basic stories. The business guy came on this morning at 6:35am and asked them what the final score was in the Yankees game the night before, and there was dead silence for 10 seconds. At the end of the segment Lang noted that the Yankees won. To me, this is the kind of stuff they should not only know but it is also the kind of stuff they should be talking about – and not having pointless listener calls at 7am.

Chris F.
Chris F.
April 5, 2011 6:11 pm

Steve (In Hamilton) I’ve been listening to a lot of the morning show and that’s something i’m picking up as well. The other day they were going on and on about these couple women and a guy bothering them about their seats at the Rogers Centre. They took up a whole segment whining about that one bad experience.

Also since you mentioned the morning show I can now speak to another thing I’ve noticed. I also like the guys but well, Jim Lang has this weird tendency to end his sentences in a question mark. Go ahead and listen to him speak and you’ll notice about half the time what should be a statement comes out sounding like a question.

it’s a tick to his speaking style that i’ve picked up and have found to be a little irritating sometimes.

Marsh
Marsh
April 5, 2011 6:30 pm

Speaking of the morning show is anyone else having a problem figuring out which voice is Brady and which one is Lang. To me they sound almost the same.

I guess the 590 fplks are listening to Bob and will go his way until that next contract is signed. Glad he is back 4-7. 3 is too early.

Rome
Rome
April 5, 2011 6:49 pm

I still think Brady is great in that spot. Lang isn’t really working for me, still not sure why they removed Dunleavy. On Monday he kept saying “jumping the shark” but I don’t think he knows what it means? When the drunks at the Jay games were talking during a moment of silence, Lang said “that was a jump the shark moment of the night for the drunks” which got me fully confused lol.

But the morning show still gets a thumbs up by me.

Krystal on for another hour, only positive is that I don’t have to choose between PTS and The Score 24/30 at 3:30. It makes a pretty easy decisoin.

Julian
Julian
April 5, 2011 6:52 pm

Steve in Hamilton,

You know what? I heard that segment with the business cat as well. He did kind of blindside them with a question about the Yankees game when it was CLEAR for the previous half-hour, they’d both mentioned they were watching the NCAA Championship game. I’m not sure if you’re suggesting they should have each score printed out so they can provide them “on demand” within 3 seconds. I mean, get serious.

The equivalent will be tomorrow if the Biz Guy says: “Oh, hey! Quick! Final score Padres/Rockies????” I mean, I ain’t listening for scores. I know them already or I want to get them in the updates. If they start reading scores, CLICK, I’m so gone.

I agree about some of the issues, and I’m still missing Brady working the 1-3 show – it became such an entertaining listen. I still think Lang is kind of a “second banana”, but the powers that be need to understand and not to try and make them equals. Lang clearly can’t spar and punch like Brady can, and like him or not, Brady and Watters did that quite well. Both were real bright and real sharp before Watters started fading in the last couple years.

Steve (in Hamilton)
Steve (in Hamilton)
April 5, 2011 7:44 pm

I wasn’t trying to be sarcastic, and I generally like the morning guys, but I don’t think that it’s blindsiding someone to ask them something that’s directly related to his job. It would be blindsiding them to ask them about the federal election debate imbroglio.

And yes, maybe they should have the scores right in front of them. It’s interesting that I find it possible to prepare my lectures for the next day and still know the BOTH the baseball scores and the basketball scores – and it’s not even my job to do that.

However, I don’t mean to be ultra-sarcastic. I just think that they should scale back on the frenetic conversation, the trivial call-in topics, and focus on what happened in the whole world of sports the night before. It takes 10 minutes of preparation – sometimes it just means having the computer on in front of you.

(On a similar note, I am a literature prof, but I have to teach a history course and history is not my specialty. This morning one of my better students asked me a question that I didn’t know the answer to, and I was aware afterward that I should have damn-well known what the answer was. That is, he didn’t blind-side me: it’s my job to know that stuff and I wasn’t prepared. So, in effect, I pulled a “morning show” in my history lecture this morning – re: the awkward pause.)

julian
julian
April 5, 2011 8:13 pm

I disagree. The guy asked them about an April Yankees game. If, like Krystal, they didn’t know a Toronto team score or details of the win or loss, then yeah. You expect them to know a baseball score off the top of their head when there’s often 15 games in the league?

Not trying to defend the show blindly, I’ve never been in that position, but that’s nothing like prepping for a lecture. To me, Brady sounds as well-prepped as any host out there. McCown? You want to make that comparison. He openly admits he’s never sure whether there was a Leafs or Raptors game the night before. We’ve all agreed: can be a great interviewer, stimulating at debate, but doesn’t watch sports.

April 5, 2011 10:24 pm

In honour of our friend Julian’s return to the comments section of this blog, here is something he wrote on this site back in September about Brady (it is actually rather prophetic, especially the part about Lang):

“He strikes me as a host that, well, you either get who he is and his humour or you don’t. I think he’d work with Jim Lang or Damien Cox exceptionally well. If indeed an internal hire goes to mornings, Brady will be aware he’s probably more qualified and has had more success in the timeslot in, I’d argue, more of a “sports town” than Toronto is”

Rome
Rome
April 6, 2011 11:06 am

Didn’t hear it, but seeing the conversation here, I have to say I agree with Julian on this. Having a general knowledge of sports I don’t think means knowing every score from the top of your head or even on hand. When every local team (except the Argos) are in season, not even including the NCAA finals, and games that are more directly involving playoff situation. Not coming up on AL East scores or game winners in April is not much of a sweat for me.

This might sound crazy, but if 640 leaves sports. Is there any chance of reuniting Brady and Watters. Actually I also wonder Stellick would be a good host with

Stephane
Stephane
April 7, 2011 12:20 am

The Fan has lost me, I’m completely confused by their direction and sick of Prime Time reruns 2 hours after they first aired. Andrew Krystal is a moron. The new morning show is pretty dull as well. C’mon TSN radio!!