Toronto Sports Media- That Didn’t Take Long Did It?

I am the first to admit a mistake. When I reported that the Fan was changing times to Krystal from 1-3:330 and PTS from 3:30 to 6:30 with Gord Stellick’s Blue and White Tonight to follow for as long as the playoffs lasted, it was, as several sources told me a done deal.

What a difference a day makes. Krystal is now going to be on from 1:00- 4:00pm with PTS back in it’s old 4:00 – 7:00 slot. Blue and White Tonight? Gone.

That, sports fans is too bad. To clarify, the fact that Stellick won’t be doing a playoff show on a nightly basis is that which is too bad. The Mccown switch I get. The collateral damage, I don’t like.

What happened?

Sounds like Mccown wasn’t overly pleased with yesterday’s decision. I’m guessing he didn’t want to be the first and only radio host to start a main show on the 30’s.

Now what?

Now that the Leafs are out of the playoff hunt expect dominoes to fall fast. Two things will drive what I predict to be a furious race to April 13. First, the launch of TSN Radio. Second, and perhaps more importantly, the rumored desire of 640 Toronto to rid itself of Toronto Maple Leafs hockey games.

Think the last year has been busy? If half of what I am told comes to fruition between now and the 13th your heads will be spinning. Now this, everyone is talking as if the only thing that has kept the Leafs on Jonas’s station is the run the Leafs have been on. Now that the run is over, and TSN Radio is coming…. LOOKOUT!

By April 13th I am fully expecting to hear that the Leafs radio rights have been moved. I’m not a betting man but I’m liking 590 in the race. What happens as a result, let’s just the talk is BIG and far reaching. Yes, I will share more as I become more comfortable with the details.

On the TSN front, I am sure TSN is aiming to have the best opening day possible. I haven’t heard this from anyone, but with Richards throwing his agent’s name in the ring the other day, I am putting my money on a Mats Sundin radio appearance on the Richards show. The hype won’t stop there. If you thought the panel on Sportsnet’s the crisis was large, I expect all hands on deck on both stations on TSN’s opening day. On the guest side it will be no holds barred with big names on the menu in both the sports world and non sports world. Seriously, it sounds like all kinds of favors are being called in to try to get the biggest names for the 13th.

Meanwhile, it sounds like Norm Rumack is following Gord Stellick to Satellite radio. Norm is going to be on Sirius (different channel then Gord). Norm’s shows will be on
The Score on Sirius:

Monday 9-11pm
Tues- Fri 11-1pm

Yes, yes, yes I saw Damien Cox’s blog that had the Leafs story, then didn’t then the article went poof. You’ll now where I stand on all of this when I get around to writing the larger piece I’ve been teasing you about.

Lastly, to the individual who inquired whether I would be kissing the reporter’s ass who I thanked for mentioning this site in the paper the other day. Welcome to the site. Thanks for participating. You will soon realize that the main credo behind this site is to be fair and balanced. Someone does something I like, I will say it. If they do something I don’t, you’ll know it. I think in over 3 years I’ve been pretty consistent.

@yyzsportsmedia

mario
mario
April 6, 2011 3:13 am

Good move by the Fan to move PTS back to its original time slot…to me I prefer the 4-7pm time..but if it was not for the new 1050 comming on board this would not have happened..should have never moved in the first place..way to go Kollins…I guess McCown really has major pull at Rogers…
As for 640 getting out of of sports radio its all but done when they give up the leafs radio rights..I am with TSM with the Fan picking up the Leafs radio rights they(Rogers) seem to have a very good working relationship with MLSE with all the cross marketing they do together…
I see were Daivd Shoalts in the Globe is saying Rogers is not interested in buying the shares put by th Teachers Pension Fund according to a source close to the situation.. this is all smoke and mirrors…I would be shocked if they did not have major interest in them with Bell sniffing around…

Chris F.
Chris F.
April 6, 2011 3:44 am

The way you make it sound TSM I can only make this analogy for what will be happening once April 13th rolls around:

It’s going to be the Monday Night Wars of the sports radio world. It will be crazy and there’ll be lots of shocks but it will also lead to some great radio for the listeners to tune to.

I’m looking forward to this!

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
April 6, 2011 7:46 am

I don’t quite understand why 590 is such a favourite(Shoe in) to get the Maple Leafs rights. As I recall in the past, there was big issues when the Fan had Hockey and Baseball rights and there was conflicts. Granted with the current 6 year run there aren’t many spring conflicts. But with TSN not carrying Jays games, I would think this guarantee of Radio broadcast on main radio dial (not switching when conflicted) would be attractive to the leafs. I suppose in writing this the Fan could guarantee Leafs #1 spot, since they own the jays they can flip them wherever they want.

Looking forward to the battle as it will indeed provide quality options I am hoping. I still hope TSN picks up Bill Hayes from 640, I think on a real sports radio station he could really gain traction as a host.

Sure is nice having this webpage for all the dialogue during this time. Thanks TSM and all the folks writing in, is great to see the differing opinions, causes one to pause and rethink opinions when intelligent opposing views are raised here.

April 6, 2011 9:05 am

i wonder if the FAN will try to trade Krystal to 640 as part of the compensation package for the last year of the Leafs radio rights.

on PTS, i know it was mentioned in a thread last week, but the friday opening day show was an excellent 3 hours of radio (with the exception of Perkins, who seems about a week out of date in his baseball opinions). Bob kept the inane banter to a minimum, asked great questions to the Jays players and management, and seemed genuinely interested in the topics discussed. it was great radio, and stood in stark contrast to so much of PTS over the last year.

Bob, we know you read this site. It would be great if you brought this level of effort and motivation to more of your shows. When you do, there is nothing better on the radio.

Steve-O
April 6, 2011 10:28 am

Should 590 gain the rights to the Leafs, will the Fan be able to hold on to the Raptor broadcasts? Will the Raptors be happy to shuffled down to the dial to a Hamilton Oldies station?

Maybe TSN radio grabs the Raptors radio broadcasts, but then do Fan 590/Rogers loyalists Eric Smith and Paul Jones go?

There are lots of dominoes in play.

Also, had to chuckle at the guy who thought that TSM would be bias because he got some props in an article. I think TSM is long past the point of being thrilled to see his name in print!

Rome
Rome
April 6, 2011 11:30 am

Mike in Botown. The thing that really threw me (and everybody else on the panel) off was when Perkins said something like the game will need to be played untill the 6th inning (as the bullpen is so stronge, you only need to get to there) everybody looked confused but he said there’s a bunch of lefty and righty combos in the bullpen (okay but none of them are automatic though)

Greg
Greg
April 6, 2011 12:22 pm

1-4 for Krystal will be painful. What happens during the summer when the 12:00pm slot opens up? Will Krystal we doing a 12 to 4 show? I hope not. And if not, I fear they will bring back the director’s chair…

April 6, 2011 12:37 pm

There really aren’t that many conflicts with the Jays and Leafs. Just a couple times in April. It would only really happen if either team went deep in the playoffs.

I would imagine that whoever doesn’t get Leaf rights will get Raptors games.

April 6, 2011 12:43 pm

I’m glad McCown is going back to 4 – 7. I thought the replay idea was pretty cheap for a major market radio station. And I’m definitely in the car more at 6 than 3.

Shame to lose Stellick. I think i would rather hear him do a general sports show than either Hockey Central or Andrew Krystal.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
April 6, 2011 12:59 pm

Interesting how many people obviously liked/enjoy the work Stellick does. I just can’t see Kollins every giving him a daytime show again, for fear of the crow he would have to eat. He would be perfect for that afternoon slot currently wasted away with Krystal. Of course, buying out Krystal’s contract would essentially be the end of Kollins contract I imagine.

Greg – Please do not even say Directors Chair, can their be a worse program? (aside from Lajoie filling in for the director)

Chris
Chris
April 6, 2011 1:19 pm

:1-4 for Krystal will be painful. What happens during the summer when the 12:00pm slot opens up? Will Krystal we doing a 12 to 4 show?

Greg, I think once Hockey Central ended last year, the Fan ran a baseball today type show between 12-1 with Willner hosting.

April 6, 2011 1:21 pm

Actually the Directors Chair gave a lot of insight into sports not normally covered at fan/590.It was a good change of pace.
It was better listening than “is Kessel a good player” open the phones for an hour.

Should “Wilson be fired” open the phones for an hour.
Do “The Leafs have goalkeeping problems” open the phones for an hour.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
April 6, 2011 1:23 pm

Sam in Scarb. – I should have been more specific, it was Doug Farraway I had a problem with. The concept of show open to different topics is better, but I cannot listen to Farraway. Just the same, I don’t listen to Hockey Central.

April 6, 2011 1:28 pm

@Chris .. fan/590 did advertise a Baseball show with Wilner 12-1,but boy wonder kollins canned it and it never made it on.
Good call,take away 1 hour of baseball talk a day when your station is in turmoil and your major summer product is hummm BASEBALL.

R3000
R3000
April 6, 2011 1:41 pm

I actually enjoyed Stellick’s old afternoon show (The Big Show, if memory serves); he had regular contributors, they had fake parties, Wajid (sp?) Khan impersonation contests, etc. Granted Gord’s a shameless shill, but he has a pretty slick quick wit as well. Krystal is, for me, unlistenable.
Returning PTS to 4:00? “Thank the Baby Jesus”.

dsscpu
dsscpu
April 6, 2011 1:51 pm

Question: With Norm Rumack going to satellite radio, does that mean he will do an overnight show on the weekends for 590 still or is that off the table? And is Gord Stellick now totally gone from 590?

April 6, 2011 1:52 pm

@Gerry,R3000.. Stellick was listenable 1-4 (It was different)
Myself use to be a 90-95% listener during the day.
Now between 9-3 and next week 9-4 they might as well go off the air and save the hydro costs.
Remember this site is a great venting forum,but most people don’t complain ,they just take their dime and shop across the street.
April 13 th is when?

dsscpu
dsscpu
April 6, 2011 1:55 pm

As for noon-1pm, I think a baseball show is the only logical thing to put there. BUT, Blair does a lot of baseball from 9-noon and a lot of call-ins already.

I’d rather see a baseball theme show from noon-2pm, krystal if we are resigned to him from 2-4pm and PTS 4-7. Jays 7-overnight.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
April 6, 2011 1:56 pm

@Sam, well put. Agree with you completely. What’s best about the competition is that unlike people who buy a certain brand of car and never switch. We now just get to flip over and see what else is on. Gord’s big show was pretty good. Very light, but you knew exactly what you were getting, and he had the Charlie Palillo type interviews which seem to have completely dissappeared.

Chris F.
Chris F.
April 6, 2011 1:57 pm

Yeah R3000 The Big Show was good programming. I remember in the summers they even did some show outdoors if memory serves me well. I always liked the segments Gord had with Barb DiGiulio. There was a real sense of camaraderie and fun on that show.

I just looked at the FAN website and i’m sad to see that Blue Jays this Week has been shunted off to the side as a podcast only show.

I also really enjoyed Wilner’s noon hour baseball show during the summer. It was an oasis amidst the hockey mad talk even in the heat of summer.

Oh well….

April 6, 2011 2:14 pm

@Dsscpu…Rumack & Stellick who the hell knows face it fan/590 is in more of a disarray than it was a year ago…
Maybe the next two warm bodies who bring in hot tea from Tim Horton’s to The Bobcat and he “gets an intern ” to dump it into a FAN/590 CUP”…remember can’t show a Timmy’s cup on tv but its OK Bob to wear FREE golfwear on tv hummm
gets their own show!!

Suckwinder Passwinder
Suckwinder Passwinder
April 6, 2011 2:28 pm

Haha Bruce Dowbiggin was just spotted running out of a Tim Hortons with 2 full trays

Chris
Chris
April 6, 2011 2:33 pm

@Sam In Scarbrough

I wasn’t aware Kollins killed it. Just another idiotic decision. “we own the team, and are the rights holder. NO BASEBALL TALK!!”

TSM should run a pool here on the site where we can all take guesses as to when Rogers shows Kollins the door. I’m guessing it’ll be sooner rather than later.

April 6, 2011 2:46 pm

@Chris..no need for a pool..
Rogers (aka Robbers) will gas-pipe kollins & kristhole last week of July/First week of August when they think there will not be any press about it.
TSM WILL KNOW !!!!!

April 6, 2011 3:02 pm

Just flipped on Mid-afternoon sports on TV
I see “Bobcat” has BOTH a Tim’s cup and golf logo shirt on….Ya think he reads TSM…..oh yes!!!

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
April 6, 2011 3:06 pm

On a different topic, do any of the rest you notice how poor the following webpages are for feedback/comments.

The Star, TSN, Toronto Sun (for that odd time any of us go there).

I realize the Globe’s pages do get filled with a lot of scourge comments all the time, but at least it is clear, concise and easy to respond to.

I find the Star’s comments are way to hoky looking, large font, can only read a few of the time etc…

As for TSN, the moderator there is ridiculous. I tried writing a comment regarding how buried a story was today, and then continued with comments regarding the game itself. Of course, it never gets onto the comments section. Seems they don’t mind you ripping the league, the teams, but nothing dare be said about TSN itself or their writers. I can’t speak for Sportsnet, as I find their webpage completely useless.

Seems to me that in today’s electronic media places like this would encourage feedback etc… in order to generate more hits/interest etc..

Suckwinder Passwinder
Suckwinder Passwinder
April 6, 2011 3:19 pm

SportsNet website I would rather talk to my next-door neighbor about current sports and he speaks no English.

Basshat
Basshat
April 6, 2011 3:28 pm

“Yes, yes, yes I saw Damien Cox’s blog that had the Leafs story, then didn’t then the article went poof.”

Anyone see the article in question? What was the gist of it?

dsscpu
dsscpu
April 6, 2011 4:43 pm

From MMU: At the conclusion of the Senators season this Saturday, TEAM 1200 host Scott MacArthur will return home to Toronto, home of his beloved Maple Leafs, to begin a new challenge with soon to be launched TSN Radio 1050. http://www.milkmanunlimited.com/tunedin.htm

PBI
PBI
April 6, 2011 5:30 pm

Damn, TSN is shaping up to be Puckhead Radio.

Will that station be able to talk about anything outside of hockey intelligently?

TommyD
TommyD
April 6, 2011 5:59 pm

The PTS move is a good news-bad news thing. The move to 3-6 with an hour of repeat was idiotic to start with and I’m glad it is being moved back to it’s original time slot. That’s the good news. The bad news is that Krystal now gets three hours. That’s three hours too many.

MediaMan
MediaMan
April 6, 2011 6:24 pm

Does anyone know if this means Stellick is now completely gone from the Fan? I notice he was a no show for his show tonight.

April 6, 2011 6:32 pm

I wonder if 590 is thinking about extending the noon hockey show to 2:00 PM each day………….it was a two hour show last year so I guess it’s a possibility…………on the one hand it would mean more Millard, which is never a good thing…………but on the other hand it would mean less Krystal, which is never a bad thing

Mullah_Kintyre
Mullah_Kintyre
April 6, 2011 6:37 pm

Really? The “I’ve got big news, but I can’t tell you now and you’ll have to wait for it” bit?
99.9% of the time that type of stuff turns out to be nothing. Stop being such a (rhymes with) hawk tease.

On the subject of MLSE and their broadcast rights, can anyone explain the paradoxical situation of MLSE having its own TV channels, yet making such little use of them for broadcasting their own teams games? In the past, when TSN and Sportsnet were protected against competition, that made sense. But that’s gone now (or at least will be gone in a few months, I believe). There’s open competition, and as I understand it, the rates the channels charge the cable and satellite companies will be open to negotiations, not set by the CRTC. So why would MLSE want to let someone else control their teams broadcast rights and make money from them, when MLSE could do it themselves? And what’s the point of MLSE continuing with their own money-losing TV channels otherwise? And why did they go to all the trouble of appearing in front of the CRTC to ask for the regulations to be changed to allow competition, apply for a licence and be approved for their own Mainstream Sports channel, and then not bother to launch it?

Chris F.
Chris F.
April 6, 2011 8:20 pm

PBI I may only check out TSN Radio for the US based stuff if indeed it turns into THN (The Hockey Network) There’s already too much hockey on the radio as it is! I guess i’m in the minority though seeing how everyone seems to gobble that up in spades.

Anthony
Anthony
April 6, 2011 8:25 pm

Biggest issue with the “Directors Chair” was that there where daily ‘Pheonix Coyotes’, ‘Hamilton Coyotes’, ‘Jim Balsillie’, references.

Get over it Doug, it was 3 years ago, do not be that bitter old guy.

TOareaFan
TOareaFan
April 6, 2011 10:07 pm

Blue & White tonight was funny this evening. Stellick was a no show and, neither, the host nor first guest Damien Cox knew where he was or could get in touch with him. Either this was mass confusion or someone was trying to make Stellick look bad!

April 6, 2011 10:12 pm
The Meatriarchy
April 8, 2011 8:42 am

@Chris F you are living in a hockey town. Deal with it. OR for fun try listening to any US sports station via the internet. Pick a market where hockey isn’t so popular: Enjoy.

OR try calling/emailing them to complain they talk about too much football or NASCAR. I bet they would see the light.

As for me I second the suggestion made earlier by Mulla Kintyre, why MLSE doesn’t have it’s own radio station is beyond me. I actually emailed them to suggest it a year ago.

And while we are on that. Why don’t they show all the Marlies games live? I would watch. For the most part the content on Leafs TV is abysmal (and sadly over the past two years that has included some of the leafs games)

dsscpu