Bruce Arthur To Join TSN

From the dome, I’m told Bruce Arthur has agreed to join TSN for radio and TV. Look for Arthur to become part of Cybulski and Company in addition to other radio and tv shows/panels.

Interesting as he was a co-host/guest with Mccown on PTS.

@yyzsportsmedia

Sam
Sam
April 7, 2011 1:37 pm

Wow, big loss for PTS – even if a roundtable was him, Shannon, Kirke and McCown I’d still watch.

April 7, 2011 2:11 pm

This is a very significant move by TSN, especially after Damien Cox left them at the altar to go to Sportsnet & 590………….Arthur was on TSN The Reporters a couple of weeks ago and did a good job………….that show needed an upgrade ever since they lost Cox and ever since Farber took a medical leave (I believe he is fighting cancer, let’s all hope for the best for him)

This is definitely a blow to McCown’s show………….Arthur was not on all that often (about once a month on the roundtable and once every couple of weeks as a phone guest) but every time he appeared it was enjoyable to listen to……………..trading in Shannon for Cox was definitely a good thing but they lost Shulman as a weekly guest and now they have lost Arthur…………it will be interesting to see what happens next

M.P.
M.P.
April 7, 2011 2:26 pm

Great pick-up by TSN…Arthur knows sports, not just hockey but a variety of sports. I enjoy reading his columns, watching him on TSN, and listening to him on PTS (when he was on). Too bad Brunt signed on with PTS…I was very suprised by that move. Cox stinks and is crusty like Bobcat.
I have to say I’m looking forward to TSN radio. I’ll give Mike Richards a shot and I already listen to the Dan Patrick Show…Jim Rome stinks (get Hogie in there)…and it might be refreshing to hear a guy who actually likes sports and knows more than just hockey (Cybulski) vs. someone who hates watching and talking about sports (Bobcat).
(I understand hockey is number 1 here but talking about hockey 24 hrs is soooooo boring and redundant. That’s why I listen to Dan Patrick…he talks about football, basketball, baseball, NCAA sports, soccer,…)

April 7, 2011 2:26 pm

Among the remaining crop of personalities Arthur was at the top of my list. He’s young-suh, he knows his sports, he’s funny, and he’s not part of the old boys club.

Good for TSN. I would listen to Arthur over everyone at the FAN except PTS, and even that would depend on the guests.

April 7, 2011 2:28 pm

young-suh? i meant to type young-ish.

mario
mario
April 7, 2011 2:39 pm

Thats to bad I really enjoyed Bruce on PTS… I thought he brought something interesting every time he was on with McCowan it did not matter what sport it was he always had a good insight….Big lose for PTS but still my favorite show….

April 7, 2011 3:03 pm

Nice hire!

At first glance, it seems like TSN is going for young guys, who are more than hockey pucks (Cybulski, Wheeler, Arthur)..

I like that!

PBI
PBI
April 7, 2011 3:11 pm

Great hire.

This brings the number of people who can intelligently discuss sports other than hockey currently on the roster of TSN/TSN Radio to one.

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
April 7, 2011 4:00 pm

Does anyone know if PTS and the New TSN show are broadcast live across Canada, or is just in the Toronto market?
If it across Canada, TSN should have a major advantage of gaining newer listeners with a fresh show and guests from around the country instead of the same old guys PTS trott out.

Chris F.
Chris F.
April 7, 2011 4:23 pm

Well that’s a huge blow to PTS. I like Arthur and think he fits in with the demographic TSN Radio will undoubtedly try to tap into.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
April 7, 2011 4:35 pm

Very interesting. It shows you that Arthur’s replies to me about his lack of interest in the co-hosting chair with McCown was just posturing. He claimed his first allegiance was to the Post, and his writing would suffer as a result as he would be stretched too thin and combined with his one year old twins he just could not commit to it.

This reminds me somewhat of when Brunt left previously for big $$ and it failed, with McCown eating crow over just that yesterday with Brunt. However, this is a completely different situation, with tons more resources available and already in place.

For me, I will have a tough time on where to go between McCown/Brunt and Cybulski/Arthur and will lean towards the latter when Cox is in studio. Having said that, I may also flip depending on the guests and my level of interest on the content.

Having Krystal lead into McCown will be a killer for them, and I do not see that as being sustainable, even though they locked him up for 3 years.

I have to say, I can see myself being a much stronger TSN Radio over FAN listener just looking at the current schedule and the improvements to TSN Radio come the Fall.

dsscpu
dsscpu
April 7, 2011 4:42 pm

Agreed, great hire by TSN, I really enjoyed Arthur when he was on PTS

dsscpu
dsscpu
April 7, 2011 5:05 pm

And Arthur signing is now official

Bryan
Bryan
April 7, 2011 5:09 pm

Great hire by TSN, He reminds me of a younger brunt in the sense that he knows a lot about every sport, which is refreshing in this hockey puck town. I think the Friday roundtable will really suffer without him, but he too will also suffer from not having a host like McCown.

April 7, 2011 6:19 pm

It sounds like Arthur will be co-host with Cybulski, but only on Mondays……………if he had agreed to be on TSN Radio a lot more than that I might agree with Raptors Devotee’s “posturing” theory………..but he didn’t, so I don’t

I am surprised to see that Raptors Devotee has admitted that he still listens to McCown’s show………….I could have sworn that he said he would boycott PTS because of the sexist remarks that McCown made a month ago

Doug
Doug
April 7, 2011 6:29 pm

I prefer Arthur’s writing to his radio work, but I’m sure he might also provide some articles to TSN’s website and he brings a wide range of knowledge over to TSN I was worried it was looking like 23.5 hours of hockey per day with sprinklings of CFL and other material hopefully this reflects a more all around approach.

Chris
Chris
April 7, 2011 7:08 pm

I’m pretty sure The National Post won’t be allowing Arthur to write ANYTHING for the TSN site. Why would they allow an employee to drive hits to a competing website?

Either way, good grab for TSN radio. Arthur is smart, witty, and very entertaining.

Rob in Aurora
Rob in Aurora
April 8, 2011 7:39 am

TSN lost Cox to SN and the FAN. They pick up Arthur in his place. Did Cox stiff TSN or did TSN decide the preferred getting Arthur? – He is a huge improvement over Cox. Big win for TSN – Same with Brian Hayes. Good time slot

Rome
Rome
April 8, 2011 1:48 pm

Strong pickup by TSN. Arthur was on ESPN TV show Around the Horn a few months back and looked really good in it. I wonder if he might be respresenting there again now with the TSN connection

I would guess Grange is the next main free agent.

Doug
Doug
April 8, 2011 8:05 pm

@ Chris you make a valid point but he will be driving traffic towards TSN indirectly anyways by being on their radio station which I assume may be streamed through the main website. I also doubt they’ll hold off on any mentions or plugs of the website while Arthur is on.