Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

Here’s are your drive home lineups

On Fan 590 Tonight-

– Bob McCown’s co-hosts from 4 to 6 is Stephen Brunt

-Damien Cox
– Ian Leggat

On 640 with Brian Hayes thanks to Mike S.:

– Jolly Jonas Siegel (AM640 Leafs Reporter)

– Dion Phaneuf (Toronto Maple Leafs Captain)

– Ron Wilson (Toronto Maple Leafs Head Coach)

– Darren Dreger (TSN Hockey Insider)

dsscpu
dsscpu
April 8, 2011 5:06 pm

SO basically today for Hayes is day 1 of TSN Radio… the fact they let him on the air tells me something about 640 dropping the Leafs and the fact that I think TSN Radio is going to get the rights for the final year of 640’s contract.

April 8, 2011 5:13 pm

I caught Krystal interviewing Danny McBride today.

Best thing I’ve heard Krystal do on The Fan. Was confident, funny and smart. Without having to talk sports, you could tell he was instantly more comfortable.

Chris
Chris
April 8, 2011 5:24 pm

Krystal is a solid radio talent, his talents just aren’t geared to talking sports for 3 hours a day. Kollins put him in a position where he couldn’t succeed.

April 8, 2011 6:48 pm

Yeah… The Leaf rights domino is pretty huge.

I suppose that The Fan basically gets Jays rights for free (Rogers connection), so it’s not like they already have money tied up in rights fees. Having the Leafs and Jays on one station would be pretty huge. That’s a lot of highly rated content in one place (especially now that both teams seem to be headed the right way).

You’d think TSN will be pushing hard for the Leafs though. That gives them an instant ‘in’.

Although, you do have to think – haven’t Leaf rights been a mixed blessing sometimes? Obviously there’s more than a ton of interest – but they’re incredibly expensive. And hockey is not necessarily a ‘radio friendly’ game, is it? From what I understand of 640 and Q107 beforehand, the massive costs of acquiring the rights handcuffed the stations, despite the massive popularity of the team. Look at 640 now, trying to unload them.

In some ways, it might almost be best for TSN radio not to have any play by play. Then they won’t be beholden to promoting a team, and can criticize in ways that The Fan might not want to. Plus, some of the millions that would be spent on Leaf rights could go toward on air talent.

April 8, 2011 7:42 pm

From what I recall, the biggest reason why 590/1430 lost the Leafs radio rights in the mid 1990’s is because they were too expensive…………it was almost impossible for them to be a profitable station if they had kept the Leafs

Things might be different now that 590 is owned by a huge company like Rogers…………..however if they want to get the Leafs rights and they want to keep McCown after his contract expires later this year you’ve got to think it is really going to cost a lot of money

Doug
Doug
April 8, 2011 8:11 pm

Krystal is a solid radio talent only in the backwaters of Atlantic Canada.

dsscpu
dsscpu
April 8, 2011 9:56 pm

Daniel,

Beeston has gone and said that technically the Jays get a rights fee from Fan 590 and Sportsnet, but its really just one hand feeding the other. Instead of Rogers saying, here is 20million to spend on X, they give it to Fan 590 for rights fees who then pay the Jays and they then spend it on X. There is some sort of MLB regulation that requires this, probably so when other markets compare what the rights fees are, they don’t see a big zero in Toronto. Also I think it is to cover the Jays in case the Jays, Sportsnet and The Fan were not one day all under the same common ownership… yeah I don’t see that happening either in the near future…

Steve (in Hamilton)
Steve (in Hamilton)
April 8, 2011 10:05 pm

Sorry to be so cynical about Krystal, but I don’t listen to sports radio for someone who could be judged an otherwise good AM-radio talent. I was in the car today and heard his film related interview and what struck me most were the penis-jokes, which I suppose are funny…but not to me.

Like most of us, I listen to sports radio for intelligent, thoughtful, sports analysis. If I want another type of radio, I usually listen to the CBC, because AM commercial radio is often garbage. Case in point: CBC radio’s “Q” would have done a much more entertaining and insightful interview with McBride. In fact, on Mondays that programme (“Q”) usually has 15 minutes of sports-culture talk, with some combination of Brunt, Ormsby, or Dowbiggen participating. Even though Dowbiggen is there, those 15 minutes are usually just as good as anything we get on the FAN.

I was pleased this week when McCown had someone on to talk about cricket. Not that I am a fan of cricket (or even understand it), but I think it’s worthwhile discussing this sport, and it was nice that they were smart enough to talk about how the sport is played – which has always confused me.

But back to Krystal: maybe he would be a good AM radio guy on another format, but in my books that isn’t such high praise. Flip through the AM dial on the talk-radio stations, which I often do while driving in upstate NY, and listen to all the right-wing loudmouths. Not so entertaining, in my books. That’s why I dislike the call-in shows so much – they usually offer the opposite of intelligent discussion.

The other day I thought of an interesting (and possible) TSM poll: to ask how many TSM readers either have ever or would ever call in to a call-in show. I am guessing that a lot of people who comment here would not be the type to call in.

lagerandale
lagerandale
April 9, 2011 7:59 am

I for on have never called into any radio station…Regarding leafs on the radio. Does the Fan really need them. Maybe I’m wrong but isn’t there money made in AM and PM drives? Would theyt want it just so TSN doesn’t get it? And is that worth it?