Twas The Night Before Christmas

Well, we wanted competition in the marketplace, and now we finally have it. As I drove to and from meetings tonight I flipped between the current sports offerings. Prime Time Sports had Mccown and Cox debating the viability and probability of another NHL franchise in Toronto. It’s segments like this one that keep me coming back to Mccown time and time again. Up the dial, Jim Ralph, who it sounds may be the voice of the Watters show until the Fall, was asking callers to submit their emotional sports moments. It’s hard to believe how far that show has fallen in recent time. That, by the way isn’t an attack on Ralph. As Burke said today in his presser, if a guy doesn’t perform in a certain role, it’s the GM’s job, not the performer.

So, tomorrow couldn’t come soon enough for those of us who happen to spend a lot of time in a car or just plain like listening to radio. Personally, I am looking forward to a little bit of stability in a vertical that has gotten a ton of my attention over the last couple of months. Like an offseason, it will be nice to finally get to talk about shows as opposed to just possibilities and rumours.

What will tomorrow bring?

From the early suggestions, it sounds like there will be a lot of Argos talk on TSN radio. I don’t have definite guests for their morning show, but the Fan isn’t taking chances. Brady and Lang will be interviewing Brian Burke, David Beckham and Ryan Kessler.

The Fan has also been teasing the appearance of Lebron James, Wayne Gretzky and Charlie Sheen. I believe Gretzky will be on with the lunch crew. Not sure about Sheen or Lebron, but either could be great fun if on with Krystal.

At TSN, Bryan Hayes has a really good lineup, James Reimer will be in studio, Mike Babcock and PJ Carlesimo also join him.

Cybulski and Co. which I believe will be with Dave Feschuk will have Chris Bosh, Luke Schenn, Mark Cohon, Rob Murphy, James Duthie, David Beckham, Bob Mckenzie and Darren Dreger.

By the way, TSN did finally confirm Hogan and Tatti today.

Not that I have to ask, but I am sure lots of you will be listening in tomorrow, please post all your opinions and comments. I will launch a new post in the AM for people to do so. Anyone who is up at 5:30 and listening in, would love to hear first impressions!

TSN RADIO 1050 WEEKDAY SCHEDULE

7 p.m. ET – 11 p.m. ET

TSN 1050 Game Night

11 p.m. ET – 5:30 a.m. ET

All Night with Jason Smith

@yyzsportsmedia

April 13, 2011 12:08 am

Wonderful way to set things up…

Chris F.
Chris F.
April 13, 2011 12:21 am

Holy smokes talk about a day where the radio dial (well if anyone still has the old radios with dials) will be getting a workout!

Hogan is going to be on TSN Radio? did I miss this bit of news?

Anyways it’s definitely going to feel like Christmas in April.

April 13, 2011 1:22 am

As we sit around and wait another 4 hours until TSN Radio 1050 launches on CHUM-AM, lets take a stroll down memory lane, for when CJCL-AM launched as The Fan 1430… http://www.rockradioscrapbook.ca/fan1430launch.ram

April 13, 2011 1:29 am

Chris F,

Hogan is doing weekends at TSN Radio. He probably will also do Argos pre and post game since 1050 is the new home of the Argos.

April 13, 2011 1:40 am

Unfortunately I am headed out of town until Sunday so I am going to miss a lot of the TSN Radio launch………..I will have to rely on my friends here on this message board to let me know how it goes

April 13, 2011 1:55 am

Agree with TSM…McCown and Cox talking about more teams in the NHL was very interesting.

Cox has actually been surprisingly good as a cohost I think.

April 13, 2011 3:14 am

Looks as if TSN Radio is on the air before 5:30am! ESPN Overnight/Jason Smith is on 1050 right now

April 13, 2011 3:17 am

Live Stream of TSN Radio 1050 available at

April 13, 2011 3:20 am

So Jason Smith is on. They got TSN ads running during the breaks.

April 13, 2011 3:24 am

Toronto’s NEW Sports Leader, TSN Radio 1050… that’s the slogan…

April 13, 2011 3:24 am

They have ESPN Sportscentre updates running right now at 3:30am…

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
April 13, 2011 5:33 am

I had to be listening for the launch at 5:30 a.m., too compelling. Cool intro featuring various play by play highlights of famous sporting events.

“The evolution of sports radio” their tag line it seems.

“All you ever wanted from Canada’s sports leader” TSN Radio 1050 another one.

“Toronto’s new destination for sports, Toronto’s 1050”.

5:30 a.m. Mike Richards signs on launching officially. RIchards recalling his start in 1985 here and a thrill to be back. CHUM history fondly remembering here. Launching this “big sucker” as Richards calls it.

My first impression, by Richards voice alone, he is no Krystal. I like his voice, unlike Krystal, who immediately turned me off by his voice and his tone.

Scotty Bowman coming up in the 7:00 a.m. hour. Pierre McGuire coming on as well. Needless to say, hockey kicks off right away. Richards has sidekick Dave to play off of as well. Jim Barker and Argos talk on in the 6:00 a.m. hour. Johnny Bower also an upcoming guest. David Hearn to call in for golf. CFL commissioner on later as well.

Will leave it for now, first commercial break. At least I was her for the debut.

PBI
PBI
April 13, 2011 5:43 am

You forgot to mention that he signed on to the “Fan 960”.

Rome
Rome
April 13, 2011 1:59 pm

I think i will stay pretty loyal to Brady morning show, he still pretty fresh and will probably give Richards a listen if there’s a guest I really don’t care about and during commercials

Blair vs Hayes is a toss up. I like Blair but willing to see if Hayes steps up and be coin toss worthy. Not sure what the fascination with hockey at noon shows.

I am a Jim Rome fan but Dan Patrick will be my alternative choice for that time will be without question over Krystal. Has Krystal lucked out going against a syndicated progam?

For a while I thought McCown was going through the motions and his co-hosts (Damo, Brunt, Arthur) were the guys that were still giving an effort and being the more intersting to listen too. Hopefully this lights a fire under Bob. I will certainly give the TSN crew a good listen at that time spot. This is the first time I felt that time spot had true competition since Brady was hosting at 640