Toronto Sports Media Presidential Summit And More

So I finally got the chance to listen to Bob Mccown and the Prime Time Sports Presidential Summit. In case you missed it, Mccown hosted the head honcho’s from the Toronto Blue Jays, Toronto Raptors and Toronto Maple Leafs for an hour long sit in.

The interview wasn’t at all what I expected. I really thought Mccown would rise to the occasion, bring his A game and conduct an excellent in studio interview with the 3 faces of the biggest franchises in Toronto.

Don’t get me wrong, the interview wasn’t bad. It just wasn’t all that interesting. The 3 guys seemed to get along okay, it just didn’t really sound like they wanted to be there all that much. Mccown, took the personal route, asking about date nights, their ability to deal with tough losses etc. There weren’t any difficult question, or moments where you sat back and said wow this is cool.

To his credit Bob had the guys at ease, they each answered the questions asked, but at the beginning Mccown said he only had a few questions and that he hoped that there would be lots of dialogue between the 3 big wigs. That never happened.

The highlight was when the 4 revealed they each have birthdays in the same month and when Colangelo suggested that they celebrate together at the House of Chan.

I guess my problem with the interview was that I had great hopes for it and when it ended I wasn’t the least bit disappointed, I wasn’t looking for more.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, did anyone catch James Cybulski’s interview with Bryan Colangelo? It was really good. Not as good as the in studio session with Burke, but really good.

Doesn’t happen all that often that I agree with Bruce Dowbiggin, his latest piece on Don Cherry though is bang on. Having said that, one would think that one who blasted bloggers for not having editors to fact check wouldn’t write the following:

“The battle for big-name guests between Sportsnet Fan 960 and the startup TSN1050 is on, so give props to Fan 960 for organizing the Toronto presidential summit on Monday with the presidents of the Blue Jays, Maple Leafs and Raptors joining Bob McCown on Primetime Sports.”

Hard to believe thatthat would pass muster with an editor. “

hmmmmm

@yyzsportsmedia

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 13
  • comment-avatar
    mike (in boston) 9 years ago

i have not listened to the 6pm hour from monday yet, but i’m disappointed to hear that it under-delivered.

in the lead up on friday Bob talked about how he wanted to hear what each of them thought were the strengths and weaknesses of each other’s businesses. this piqued my interest because most of what we get from Burke and Colangelo is boring GM speak about their rosters. i was hoping that president-speak would be more interesting, and i was happy that McCown would lead the interview, since sports business is his purported area of expertise.

Bob talking to Beeston about the Jays is a waste of my time. they are too close for it to yield anything substantial, sadly.

Steve (in Hamilton) 9 years ago

The interview was mediocre to fine, but definitely not worth all of the hype.

I did enjoy Krystal’s 3pm call-in today, however, when a lot of people called to claim that the interview was horrible. It was the first call-in segment that I’ve enjoyed in a long time, since I have a bit of respect for the open acceptance of criticism.

• comment-avatar

Haven’t heard anyone mention the Chris Bosh dig. Talking about them as the ‘Big Three’ in Toronto, Colangelo said he was a distant third like Chris Bosh. None of them commented on that and the interview moved on.

I was never a Bosh fan but even I thought ‘time to move on Bryan’.

• comment-avatar

I did hear the interview nad did not think it was that bad.. Mcowan and Brunt were talking about it in the 5 pm hour and McCowan said he thought the guest were all up tight and not them selves and seemed uncomfortable in this setting for some reason..even in the commercial breaks there was very little siad between them…very hard to get them to open up.. good try on the Fans part hopefully they will try this again…

Dave from the suburbs 9 years ago

Re:Dowbiggin……would also be nice if he could get Steve McQueen’s name right.

Rob In Aurora 9 years ago

I have been waiting to find time to listed ot the podcast – I think my time will be bettter spent listening to Colangelo on 1050…to me Beeston is the most engaging of the three, but he seems to be in the background. Anthopolous should be on with Cybulski. I really like that guy and he seems to be doing a good job.

Dowbiggin is effectively a blogger anyway. (From his profile on the globe web site, I don’t believe his columns appear in the newspaper, just Globesports.com). He never had credibility in the first place, his general sports knowledge is lacking and his writing is terrible (IMO). He makes those types of errors in every column.

Gerry (Burlington) 9 years ago

I believe the reality of this “Summit” was that really it was a huge advertisement for the Fan to say they got the 3 biggest Sport Exec’s in the city on their show at one time. This summit was never going to be about hard questions, from the get go it was to create a ratings bonanza and a bragging point for the Fan. In that regard it was highly effective.
    I would like to blame Bob for the interviews not being more indepth, but it never had a chance of being that. It got the Fan the headlines it wanted.

Brunt was on with Melnick in Montreal yesterday and admitted he surprised the tack Bobcat took, but then immediately supported it and said it was very interesting to listen to and that he enjoyed it.

Lastly, interesting how much the likes of Kypreos and Bobcat are namedropping Pelley these days. Zero mention of Kollins, this guy has no identity among the hosts, nothing compared to Millman.

Steve from Waterloo 9 years ago

Being buddies with his local guests seems to be McCowan’s priority lately. I don’t listen every day, but I have not heard him take on anyone lately – I guess since MacClean.

I miss the good old days like when he took on the mayor of Hamilton.

• comment-avatar

I have to talk about the last hour of Krystal show yesterday, it was the most bizarre hour of radio i have heard in a long time. I still wasn’t sure if that is what Krsytal wanted to make a name for himself or if this was a surprise. I know is a fan of shock radio, well for the first time since he came here that was stunning radio. It sounded like a guy (either the host or the call screener) wanted to get fired and just let a bunch of negative calls through.

It’s easily more than half the callers were negative. maybe even 75%. Somebody actually mentioning the competition and saying they had Colangelo on an hour before and did a better job. I couldn’t believe my ears. I did laugh at Krystal bi-polar response of “I am always tough, we need to be though/ wait they are guests, we can’t be too tough” with a caller asking is Bob standing in front of you telling you what to say lol. Then Krystal talks about how he and Bob are friends and how they socialize. Just odd, but great haha. This also brings more into the mind of Krystal, in his mind you have to be zero or a hundred. You have to give total softball questions or be a total jerk, there no grey in Krystal world.

I agree with TSM on the interview in question, the concept was intersting, but listening to it, it sounded like questions you give to guys who just came to the job. Listening to the interview you would never guess none of these teams had a sniff of the playoffs in while. I just think McCown had a disconnect with the typical fans who look at the leaders of our sports teams and ask “Why the F can’t none of you WIN!”

Agree also on the Colangelo interview with C&C, I was maybe even more impressed by that than his Burke interview because market you mostly have guys who had no idea about basketball or “baskeball guys” who throw softballs and agree with everything he says no matter what. First time in a while I heard what seems to be an independant voice asking fair but tough questions and following up on any of the inconsistency of the answers

Mullah_Kintyre 9 years ago

I thought this was a completely pointless idea from the time I heard McCown start saying they were trying to put it together, I think two or three weeks ago. What was the point of having all three of them there at the same time? Did he think they were going to talk to each other? The surprising thing to me was McCown apparently did not seem to think about it before it happened, as though to him it was merely a stunt to be promoted, and who cares if it is otherwise completely pointless and useless?

Rob In Aurora 9 years ago

Totally agree with Mullah K. I don’t get that idea. Keep in mind these guys really do compete with each other so what was the point?…
    ANYWAY – here’s a beauty: I just filled out the FAN’s latest online survey…Wow – It asks “do you listen to Hockey Central at noon? How much do you like Daren Millard?, then Kypreos then McLean…I am actually LMAO, (no really) because I can’t stand any of them and I hate the show!- – Then it asks about leaf game coverage. “Do you like the play by play team?” – So I see that may be on their radar fairly soon – I hope they split it with TSN or do something creative. I want to see Jim Ralph keep his job – can you imagine Stellick getting that back? (Lord! Spare us!). Don’t hate him, but his voice is grating and Ralph is far better now (more experience too)
    Interesting anyway..they asked for comments after the completion and I wrote a diatribe. Not sure if it gets read (and by whom?)

Don Mandrie 9 years ago

Krystal says he socializes with McCown? I suppose in his world chatting for 5 minutes between the two shows is “socializing”.

Gerry (Burlington) 9 years ago

Even better, i just had the fan on for my 5 min. drive back from lunch and heard that Krystal has a quasi-friendship with Sen. John McCain because he interviewed him a few times He says he will have him on to discuss Phoenix Coyotes. This guy hobknobs in elite circles in his estimation, bobcat, mccain, whats next in the social circle….