Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

Here’s are your drive home lineups

On Fan 590 Tonight-

– Bob McCown’s co-host from 5 to 7 John Shannon
– Tom Tebbutt
– Orlando Franklin
– Fred Gaudelli
– Glen Healy
– Scott Hicks
– Doug Lum
– Milos Raonic

On TSN Radio 1050

James Cybuski’s co-host is “a well respected columnist”

Bruce Arthur

James Duthie

PM Stephen Harper

Scott Feschuk (Macleans)

Dan Shulman

Bob McKenzie

Dion Phaneuf

Stephen LeDrew

Darren Dreger

Firas Zahabi (GSP Trainer)

Matt Bonner

On 640 with Jim Ralph and Bill Watters thanks to Mike S.:

4:40 – Mark Napier

5:05 – Eric Duhatschek (Globe and Mail)

5:45 – Kyle Dubas (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds GM)

6:05 – Scott Morrison (HNIC Insider)

6:25 – Richard Griffin (Toronto Star)

May 2, 2011 4:20 pm

Bob McCown’s co-host from 5 to 7 John Shannon

seriously? i thought we had moved on from that forgettable phase.

On TSN Radio 1050 – PM Stephen Harper

whoa, nice get for C-Balls. do they podcast their show yet?

May 2, 2011 5:07 pm

I’ve noticed Blair has made what seems like a couple little digs at TSN recently.

I’ve heard him say something like this a couple times: “This is the only radio station in Toronto that talks baseball at all”.

I have noticed the same thing. TSN Radio seems to put MLB behind NHL (of course), but also NBA, CFL, NFL and so on. Seems a bit weird since MLB is probably a solid second in the market.

I hope TSN Radio isn’t holding off on baseball because Rogers owns the Jays. I don’t think that’s really serving the listeners.

Ken
Ken
May 2, 2011 5:28 pm

Having Shannon co-host on PTS is a good time to listen to TSN Radio

A Helpful Citizen
A Helpful Citizen
May 2, 2011 5:29 pm

Wait…let me get my head around this. McCown has a modestly successful flash-in-the-pan tennis player, the usual cadre of hockeyheads and assorted other non-entities, and the triumphant (and sought after by exactly no one…) return of John Shannon.

His upstart competitor has the frigging Prime Minister of Canada…on election day, no less.

“The FAN 590 by Rogers Sportsnet Rogers Courtesy Of Rogers Communications, A Division Of Rogers Egomania Inc.: Because coming in second is pretty underrated. And being first is SUCH a hassle, man…”

Adhish
Adhish
May 2, 2011 6:15 pm

I guess you and Blair havent heard Dan Shulman’s intervies?

dsscpu
dsscpu
May 2, 2011 8:41 pm

Missing my BIKINI OTD… ;-(

Dustin
Dustin
May 2, 2011 9:21 pm

I’m really starting to enjoy Cybuski. I think initially I was a little turned off, because of the difference in delivery between him and Bob. It’s something different and that’s great. Lots of impressive guests thus far, and it should be interesting to see who can get the ‘higher value’ guests. Harper is a pretty big deal.

Also, anyone notice the ad’s about McKenzie they play now? Talk about a little jab. We’ve got Bob…..McKenzie that is.

Steve (in Hamilton)
Steve (in Hamilton)
May 2, 2011 11:34 pm

I’m afraid if you think that Raonic is a flash-in-the-pan tennis player, then you are obviously not following the game.

Hmmmm…who would I rather hear from – Raonic or Harper? Really, I listen to sports radio for sports. Besides, do you really think that Harper goes onto these sports networks because he is going to be asked challenging questions? It’s softball central.

Good grief – the entire tennis world outside of Canada is talking about Raonic. And at least he’s not playing us for naive dupes when he speaks.

Ron
Ron
May 3, 2011 7:17 am

I, too, had hoped that we were over the J. Shannon co-hosting days. He’s kinda like gum on your shoe…you just can’t get rid of him. But surely Mr. Kollins must realize that sticking Shannon on as co-host while the Fan is in this pitched battle with TSN is a disastrous move…???
Don’t quite understand all these ads touting McCown with Cox and Brunt…it seems to me that when I’ve tuned in, more often than not Cox is out of town and Brunt’s on vacation.

A Helpful Citizen
A Helpful Citizen
May 3, 2011 7:34 am

The ENTIRE tennis world outside of Canada is talking about the 25th ranked player in the world? Really? Well, I’m convinced. Clearly he’s here to stay, then…

(FYI: Tim Henman was talked about incessantly on the other side of the pond not that many moons ago, too. Just saying. Come back in five years, and we’ll talk)

I never for a moment suggested that Stephen Harper was going to be on the receiving end of a “Fifth Estate” style grilling, nor that it would be expected. What I *did* suggest, however, was that landing the Prime Minister, on election day, is a damned sight more impressive than offering up John f***ing Shannon, assorted B or even C-list talking heads, and a typically unilluminating interview with a typically uninteresting athlete (athletes, by this point, are almost without exception the least interesting interviews in sports radio. The few who aren’t monosyllabic dipshits tend to stick pretty closely to a carefully wrought public relations script, effectively rendering them one and the same), particularly one who competes in what might charitably be described in macro terms as a niche interest sport. Sorry if you’re pissy about tennis being characterized as such, but it just is. It IS a sport, I’ll grant you that, and to the best of my knowledge politics is no such animal. So I suppose that The FAN did a better job of catering to the twelve people in their listening area who give a rat’s ass about men’s tennis. Score one for Kollins And Co., I guess…

Oh, and for what’s it’s worth, what hardballs did McCown lob at Raonic, exactly? And what revelatory bombshells did Raonic offer in return? Because I just finished listening to their exchange and I can’t for the life of me find anything even slightly compelling in it. Talk radio, as indeed with all radio, is about drawing attention to the station, and attracting the greatest number of listeners in a given time slot. What I am suggesting, quite simply, is that the incumbent champion of Toronto sports radio is being made to look like a tired also-ran by its upstart competition. Yes, having Harper on is a gimmicky ratings grab. But you know something? It *works*. And if The FAN is not yet concerned about their complacency costing them listeners, then they damned well should be.

May 3, 2011 7:46 am

Ron says: But surely Mr. Kollins must realize that sticking Shannon on as co-host while the Fan is in this pitched battle with TSN is a disastrous move…???

you bring up what is a really interesting tension at the FAN right now. Shannon is part of the cast of characters we have come to know and love as the FOB (friends of Bob). PTS is bad radio when the FOB are on. Kollins must know this, and probably tries to limit the amount they are on. However, he can’t push too hard because, as we all know, Bob’s contract is almost up.

So they are stuck putting out an inferior product on many days, and they can’t do everything in their power to improve the product, because the product might just leave altogether.

very interesting times in sports radio.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
May 3, 2011 9:01 am

There is no greater turn-off for me with regards to PTS than Shannon. He simply adds no value to any discussion, and I am especially annoyed when the topic presents the opportunity for him to put in his usual, i was responsible for that product etc…. talking about his past jobs. It is like he is constantly trying to justify his existence on sports radio.
The banter which Brunt and Bobcat have is genuine and I don’t mind it. The banter between Cox and Bob, and Shannon and Bob, I find very contrived and they try to pander to stereotypes of Bob in order to make themselves sound funny (to themselves).

I believe what makes Bruce Arthur and Stephen Brunt excellent on air co-hosts is that they are confident in themselves and are genuine. I find most of the rest, try to portray themselves as something that they perceive to be interesting.

Okay, i have rambled long enough.

Last comment, I thought TSM was doing a review of Howard Berger, only to discover it was a genuine Burger review. Wasn’t sure how there could be a full article discussing the ramblings and verbal diaherrea of one Howard Berger.

Sam in Oshawa
May 3, 2011 12:58 pm

Now i’m in the right spot,totally agree with shannon opinions PTS start looking over your shoulder,here comes TSN.A Helpfull Citizen is great maybe just amp up the opinion a little bit seems kind of reserved.Blair is turning into a whinner.I listen to Hward Stern do not want to hear sternabee’s on sports radio yuck.