Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

Here’s are your drive home lineups

On Fan 590 Tonight-

– Bob McCown’s co-host from 5 to 7
TBA

On TSN Radio 1050

James Cybuski’s Co-Host: Jennifer Hedger

Sam Roberts Band

James Duthie

Stefan Frei (Toronto FC)

Bob McKenzie

Jay Onrait

Chuck Swirsky

Darren Dreger

Jack Johnson (Team USA, Los Angeles Kings)
Sam Roberts in studio

On 640 with Jim Ralph and Bill Watters thanks to Mike S.:

– live from the Baycrest charity hockey tournament

– Curtis Joseph

– Jamie Tawil

– Brian Duff (NHL Network)

lagerandale
lagerandale
May 7, 2011 5:45 pm

To those who may be listening(or listened) to the ball game, Is it just me or is Wilner terrible? There has to be a better option when Ashby go’s to TV.

Rob in Aurora
Rob in Aurora
May 7, 2011 9:57 pm

Agreed Wilner is a terrible broadcaster. He must have gotten that job thru nepotism. Didn’t listen today, but I can only imagine having him for 9 innings and not having a break. He seems to really know his stuff, but he has a bad voice and an abrasive personality. Not a good combination on radio

Steve (in Hamilton)
Steve (in Hamilton)
May 8, 2011 9:04 pm

Count me out on the above comments. I think Wilner is a great baseball broadcaster. I can’t really say much about his play-by-play skills – haven’t had the chance to hear it yet – but he’s a smart baseball guy who is opinionated and doesn’t pander to the audience. He may rub some people the wrong way, I suppose, but I completely enjoy his performance.

By the way, to interject with a Wilneresque comment and be pedantic for a moment, I really wish people would say that they “think” someone is terrible rather that make it into an inarguable point. Too often people believe that what they say is absolute truth when what they say is merely what they think to be true. Case in point: I like Wilner, but can’t say whether he is good or not, and nor can anyone else – all you can say is that you don’t like him.

I’m sorry for being so picky about that. 🙂

MwG64
MwG64
May 9, 2011 6:51 am

As much as i agree with you Steve about blog edicate…Its a blog there is no edicate…Its not like we are trying to protect ourselves to get another story….

Rob in Aurora
Rob in Aurora
May 9, 2011 8:38 am

…I am sure Wilner is a bad broadcaster, you only think he’s pretty good – I guess I win. (Hey, you’re entitled to your opinion about him, so am I – argue with me all you want there is no right or wrong…what ettiquete?).

While I agree wilner does know his stuff. So do many of his audience members. I find him annoying to listen to, and so I no longer listen. I know I am not alone.

Jeff
Jeff
May 9, 2011 8:52 am

I’ve got to agree with Rob. Wilner is good, but he’s not as good as he thinks he is. And the listening audience is not as uneducated in baseball as he thinks they are.

As for his play-by-play skills, I’ve got to agree with the first posting, there has to be a better option than Wilner when Ashby is doing television.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
May 9, 2011 1:51 pm

As an avid Baseball fan, and really enjoy the fan’s game coverage, I CAN NOT STAND WILNER. His segments with callers makes me scream at the radio. I recognize some callers have ridiculous points. But when an intelligent listener suggests something he disagrees with, he becomes so pious, arrogant etc.. I just find his personality is egregious. Then to top it off, during the JP Ricciardi era, Wilner would be adamant about something, then JP would come on with a different perspective and WIlner would just lap it up. I suspect you are all getting my feelings on Wilner.

That said, I have really enjoyed Alan Ashby. He came into tough situation having to try and fill a spot once occupied by one of the greats (Thank-you Tom Cheek R.I.P.).

Cam
Cam
May 9, 2011 4:23 pm

Gerry there ya go getting all subtle on us again! Have to admit I do agree with your sentiments though. There does not seem to a middle ground on Wilner, you either like him or you don’t.

With the exception of Wilner, in some respects I find that baseball has some of the strongest on air personalities in the local sports media scene. Howarth and Ashby seemed to have found a good fit together. I really like what I have seen with Greg Zaun though I think once he gets more comfortable in the role he is going to be a good one. I also think Pat Tabler is doing a great job, he seems to not get in the way of the broadcasts like so many TV analysts do.

Just my opinion.

Rome
Rome
May 9, 2011 4:29 pm

I know I have said this before, but Sunday it became totally obvious that Jays talk only goes to the top of the hour, no matter when the game ends. On Sunday the game ended around 3:30 and the top of the hour they were already doing some UFC show? In previous seasons Jays talk would go over an hour many times. Is the callers/demand not there or is Wilner/Jays doing so many other things that they aren’t focusing on a long post game show.

Nate Corddry was on Saturday, he was really cool.

We have to give Wilner a break, Wilner “furture MVP” Travis Snider is send to Vegas this season again, and he can’t blame Cito for “not seeing his talent”

May 9, 2011 5:21 pm

that’s a good point about JaysTalk. i wonder what determines how long they go. here in Boston the postgame call-in show runs for a few hours after every game. it’s just that evening’s programming by default, so nothing pre-empts it. it’s funny how little Rogers devotes to their own sport property.

that said, i haven’t listened to JaysTalk at all this season. I find Wilner unlistenable.