More On Sports Tweets

Happy Saturday am to you all. Little TSM’s team won again this morning so off to the semi-finals we go this afternoon!

So, many of you have asked if I knew what Damien Cox and Mccown were alluding to when they talked about Damien being sued or threatened with a law suit yesterday on the EPIC edition of PTS.

The answer is, of course I do. Those of you who’ve been coming here for some time do too. Way back on October 8th I told you that Bruce Dowbiggin had sent Damien Cox a letter of his intent to sue for comment made on twitter. You can read the story here

Well, Damien is at it again this morning, launching perhaps one of the greatest tweets I have ever seen to Al Strachan. Damien has been tweeting about Derek Boogaard ‘s untimely death. Apparently Damien has been receiving some tweets from the pro fighting lobbyists in response to some of his own tweets about Boogaard. Well, Al Strachan, who in my opinion is one of the worst sports writers Toronto has ever seen took a pot shot at Damien and Damien returned with a flame thrower:

Strachan: @DamoSpin You’re the one who started the furor by linking the death to the concussion. Now you’re telling everyone to wait for infomation.
Cox: @winsford99 Nope, wrong again. Still same old crap from you. Its not my fault you got drummed out of the business.

Gold – pure gold

By the way, your must read of the day is from Mike Russo on the death of Boogard which you can read here.

Nick
Nick
May 14, 2011 11:53 am

It will be interesting to see who the first major and notable sports MSM tweeter to get fired for comments will be? I’m sure there will come a time very soon that each newspaper or sports station (tv and radio) will have a “twitter editing” department.

Chris
Chris
May 14, 2011 12:32 pm

It already happened this week. And, TSM, I agree, Cox tweet to Strachan was freaking epic.

Craig
Craig
May 14, 2011 12:33 pm

For context, here’s Cox’s first tweet on Boogaard’s death on May 13:

DamoSpin Damien Cox
Derek Boogaard hadn’t played since being concussed in a fight with Matt Carkner Dec. 22. Serious injury that comes with other symptoms.

No condolences. No mention of a tragedy. Maybe I’m misinterpreting something here but the tweet lends itself to insinuation. He’s then continues with the following:

DamoSpin Damien Cox
We’ll wait to find out what happened with Boogaard. Sounds like a very sad story.

DamoSpin Damien Cox
It’s important to wait for more info. But we’re learning more and more about terrible things these serious brain injuries do to people

I’m of the opinion that Cox loves to bait his twitter audience with controversial statements and then plays the moral high ground when the audience reacts and the implication implodes.

Nick
Nick
May 14, 2011 12:47 pm

Chris, goddard IMO does not classify as a notable msm’r.

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
May 14, 2011 12:52 pm

Speaking of the law..
How long before Matt Barnaby gets the gas pipe from ESPN & TSN ???

Guy
Guy
May 14, 2011 1:23 pm

I found Cox’s initial tweet regarding Boogard’s death quite reckless and insensitive. I hope he gets taken to task by the star and more of his peers

May 14, 2011 1:42 pm

if anyone knows already, or can find out by asking him on Twitter: has Griffin been dropped as a PTS baseball guest?

i’ve noticed that he is appearing on other stations but has not been a guest on the FAN in a while. It’s a shame because he is one of the better old school baseball writers in the city. Both Elliott and Perkins have, in my opinion, become unlistenable as they seem more and more out of touch with the daily goings-on with the Jays. When Bob interviews them it’s almost entirely unrelated FOB banter followed by “when’s Lawrie coming up?”

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
May 14, 2011 2:33 pm

Couldn’t agree more regarding Strachan. Having said that, I do find Cox’s personality especially when on with Bobcat to be quite cocky. TSM, is the lawsuit from Dowbiggin still active?

Rome
Rome
May 14, 2011 5:11 pm

Ha Damo is going crazy today. Where is Shannon to calm him down lol. I think it’s very cool seeing Damo and Arthur exchanging thoughts today, they compete head to head on weekdays many times and now talking to each other. Shh don’t tell their bosses.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
May 14, 2011 7:18 pm

TSM, thnks for the link to the Russo blog on Boogard. I had no idea that the big fellow was so warmly received off the ice. This is a real tragedy. Once again, all the best to his family, just sad.

Steve (in Hamilton)
Steve (in Hamilton)
May 15, 2011 12:13 pm

This is not related at all to the topic at hand, but I heard an hour-long interview with Jerry Howarth on the flagship CBC radio current affairs show this morning. It’s an enjoyable interview. Here’s the link (it’s in hour one):

May 16, 2011 6:27 am

i finally broke down and subscribed to TSN RADIO’s podcast feed. some first impressions:

Brian Hayes had two excellent interviews, one with Declan Hill on FIFA’s corruption, and one with Red Sox manager Terry Francona. Both were professional and in-depth and at no point did he start telling his guests what he thinks. This is an unfortunate habit that McCown has developed.

Cbals and Arthur with Patrick Burke was a phenomenal interview.

great work by TSN this past week.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
May 16, 2011 8:12 am

Guy/Craig – Cox definitely likes dance with the edge of stories, being careful (in his opinion) not to cross the line. These tweets re:Boogard, remind me of last baseball season when Cox wrote his article questioning Bautista and his “newfound” home run power. He of course defended himself by saying, he was just asking the question. I think it is reckless to throw out theories without proof especially when involving someones character. With Bautista’s continued success this season, he has made no mention of the steroids again, but at the same time he has written nothing to clear up his questions from last season.

Roger
Roger
May 16, 2011 8:41 am

Cox seems a bit thin-skinned to me. He seesm to think is the best sportswriter in the city – memo to Cox: you’re not. Just because you’re buddies with McCown, it doesn’t mean a thing.

Lee (Oakville)
Lee (Oakville)
May 16, 2011 9:49 am

Cox’s tweets on the Boogaard death/concussion linkage are just the latest of a series of inappropriate and unprofessional acts by Cox (prematurely announcing Pat Burns’ death, the steroid innuendo, attacks on blogger that broke the Colin Campbell e-mail story, etc.).

By pursuing his agenda while the Boogaard death was still fresh speaks volumes of his “professionalism”. As Adam Proteau of the Hockey News tweeted about the Damien Cox issue, “I didn’t get into journalism to bid farewell to my humanity.”

It is unfortunate that Damien Cox did not have the same aspirations.

Bryan
Bryan
May 16, 2011 9:53 am

Cox is, well what his name says he is, he is a …..
This is the type of person he is, he tries to stir up an argument. Notice he is involved in a law suit with Dowbiggin, now he attacks Stratchen who I can’t stand either then he brings up Boogyman (RIP) saying in around about way that fighting caused the death and then runs like the coward he is IMO, when people call him on it and lets not forget he was the first to mention Bautista and steriods. Cox is a very negative individual and I dont read him nor listen to him on the radio I dont have time for his drivel. BTW isnt it time Cox for you to bring up the question again.
Let him keep kissing the Bobcats ass.

walt
walt
May 16, 2011 10:39 am

loved Dough Boy’s hand-wringing this morning about the Boogeyman’s death and how the CBC fell short on it’s coverage of it the other night.

Maybe the CBC chose to ignore it as Bogeyman, excellent human being that he may well have been, was entirely a fringe player at best in the league, and for that matter, didn’t want to say anything until all facts are in from autopsy, etc.

But no, Dough Boy has to get up on his moral high horse and scold. Idiot.

Andrew
Andrew
May 16, 2011 2:40 pm

Seems to me Strachan had a point. Cox’s sounds like he’s in Grade 6.

Andrew
Andrew
May 16, 2011 2:42 pm

My grammar is below Grade 6!

That should be “Cox sounds like he’s in Grade 6”.