Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

Here’s are your drive home lineups

On Fan 590 Tonight-

Doug Brown – Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Bob McKenzie

Jack Armstrong

Bruce Arthur

Richard Griffin

On 640 with Jim Ralph and Bill Watters thanks to Mike S.:

4:40 – Jamie Dawick (Toronto Rock Owner)

5:05 – Eric Duhatschek (Globe & Mail Playoff Insider)

5:25 – Mark Reeds (Owen Sound Attack Head Coach)

5:45 – Jon Wertheim (si.com Tennis)

6:05 – Scott Burnside (ESPN Playoff Insider)

6:25 – Michael McCann (Vermont University Law)

Bob
Bob
May 17, 2011 9:36 pm

Must have been a boring PTS show , no comments! ( I didn’t listen). I want to throw this out to you guy’s . Do you view McCown and all other talking heads, as journalists or entertainers? No in between, one or the other.

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
May 18, 2011 4:43 am

Pre 2010 journalists,(some excellent,most average)
Today,all entertainers.

robinaurora
robinaurora
May 18, 2011 6:40 am

McCown was never a journalist IMO. Morning show same. But then Howard Berger is a journalist…who would you rather listen to?

Steve (in Hamilton)
Steve (in Hamilton)
May 18, 2011 7:30 am

In between. Life does not always provided such either/or scenarios. All the same, I still enjoy PTS greatly.

I don’t really listen to sports radio for great journalism, frankly. It’s just sports and most of the journalism is the same as entertainment reporting, because they are promoting a product (following sports). I just want to listen to people who can take my mind away from the world for a bit.

None of these people are really journalists, people like Brunt included. But, again, it really doesn’t matter to me.

Lee (Oakville)
Lee (Oakville)
May 18, 2011 8:00 am

In my opinion the only true journalists on Fan590 are Stephen Brunt and Jeff Blair. In both their columns and on-air dialogue they appear to follow the tenets of true journalistic integrity (apart from Brunt’s misstep in the Olympic torch issue).

The rest are purely entertainers. McCown discusses rumours as fact and fact as rumours. His “sources” are basically individuals that appear on his show. Even Damien Cox is not a classic journalist, i.e. doesn’t break stories, impartiality is an issue (he reports on tennis like a 12-year old girl at a Justin Bieber concert) and has had significant errors (prematurely reporting Pat Burns’ death).

That being said, it doesn’t really matter as long as the listener is entertained. What does bother me, however, is entertainers pretending to be journalists.

May 18, 2011 2:53 pm

Well said, Lee..

I think McCown and Brady might be a little bit of reporter/entertainer grey area. Mostly entertainers though.

A guy like Krystal is 100% entertainer, 0% credibility (if he does, indeed, entertain you). I honestly don’t take seriously one thing he says.

On another note – I’ve found the past couple PTS’s to be excellent. Loved Mondays show. Great talks with Maclean and Zaun, IMO.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
May 18, 2011 3:05 pm

I think it has become very blurred, with so many of these print guys now hosting/co hosting radio shows.

Brunt/Blair/Arthur are journalists moreso, the rest entertainers. But Blair is becoming more entertainer by the nature of his job hosting a radio program.

This is why I so enjoyed some of the older Fan590 format with alot more specialized guests to discuss NFL/NBA/NCAA.

James
James
May 19, 2011 9:11 am

Maybe you guys are talking in terms of perception, but you are really missing the mark on what a “journalist” is. And I guess I just don’t share the common and mistaken perception that newspaper writers are more journalists than other media.

Definition of journalism: “The collecting, writing, editing, and presenting of news or news articles in newspapers and magazines and in radio and television broadcasts.”

Maybe you guys are looking for “columnist”, “reporter”, “editorialist”, or “writer”. They all fit your ideas of what a journalist is much better.

You would basically have us believe broadcast journalism as a career is non-existant. And in fact if you go on radio it becomes blurred whether you are a journalist? This really stretches known logic…