Michael Grange Bolts The Globe For Sportsnet

Mutliple sources tell me that Michael Grange has quit his gig at the Globe and Mail. Rumour has it that Grange will be joining Rogers Sportsnet to work on Prime Time Sports and Sportnet.ca in addition to other duties.

When reached moments ago Grange offered a polite “No comment”.

Great pickup by Rogers.

More later

@yyzsportsmedia

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 21
  • comment-avatar

I hope they don’t give him his own show as his best skill is going head to head with Bob-o with facts and wit. Butt kickin round tables ahead with Brunt, Cox and Grange. Not a fan of Kirke or Freakin’ Deacon.

Go jets go!!!

• comment-avatar

Cool! Grange has a pretty unusual voice for radio, but I really enjoy his work. I really like reading his ‘7 at 7’ blog in the Globe.

He also plays the antagonistic cohost to McCown very well.

Maybe he and someone else could replace Krystal.

• comment-avatar

I’ve always liked and respected Grange’s work in print and on the radio. This is probably a good move as I sensed his role at the G&M was greatly diminished recently.

It also seems like this could be another move that results in a chain-reaction of moves…Krystal out, Stellick in, Cox and/or Grange with a full-time gig as co-host.

Gerry (Burlington) 8 years ago

This is a very astute pickup by the Fan/Rogers. TSN has long held the lead when it comes to an all sports tv station, but as the need to diversify continues they seem to be stuck in their tracks.

Fan/Rogers has done a nice job of picking up some of the better sportswriters in the city and added them to their fold.

While TSN’s strong programming on TV has held them in a good spot for a long time, they seem to be like a dinosaur on the radio side of things. Sportsnet seems to really be after the core sports fan who wants more than just the box scores. Opinions from writers like Brunt, Grange, Cox, Blair etc… is providing a nice dynamic to their radio side.

Funny, since the inception of TSN radio, the Fan590 has improved dramatically. Good ol competition to bring the best out of people.

Rogers still has a way to go on their TV side I feel, but from the radio side they are improving.

• comment-avatar

Totaly agree with all statements…. good pick up just surpised he left the Globe to work fulltime at Rogers… alway enjoyed his articles and his work at Sportsnet.

Raptors Devotee 8 years ago

I am in complete agreement with all of the comments above. TSN besides having Jack Armstrong as their basketball analyst is extremely lean in that department, since they still act as though it is The Hockey Network, even with all of their basketball properties, which they are only so happy to cut short to hit Sportsdesk within one second of the game ending.

I echo others hear that if Krystal can be finally mercifully bought out maybe the FAN can find a role in that slot for Grange and Stellick. Grange is still best at challenging the Bobcat, and his viewpoints are always well thought out.

The FAN has raised their game, although still too much of some secondary talent who never seem to go away. I won’t go into names, but we have all complained numerous times about the FOB that still find airtime.

Mike S 8 years ago

Many people thought Grange would be the next domino to fall, so we can’t be surprised with this news…………however I agree with Mario……….I am a bit suprised Grange left the Globe & Mail, just as I was a bit surprised Naylor left the Globe & Mail

I wonder if this means Grange will be co-host on PTS a fair amount this summer when Brunt is in Newfoundland ??

I like Grange on radio, although not as much as some people here do…………..his opinions are usually quite interesting……….but as someone pointed out recently, his voice sometimes sounds like a really bad Ray Romano impersonation

• comment-avatar

I dont think its a co-incidence that since Pelley and Moore have taken over at the Fan that things have gotten 180 degrees better.

Smack 8 years ago

Sadly, the writing’s on the wall for the print media. Those members of the print media are getting out before they’re forced out or at least dipping a toe into the TV/radio pond.

For that matter TV is dying too. Sports TV is in a little bit better shape due to the nature of live broadcasting. But not for long.

We’re living in interesting times with respect to sports media.

• comment-avatar

I agree, Sean. Since Pelley and Moore arrived, The Fan and Sportsnet have improved a lot.

lister 8 years ago

Wow, who’s left at the Globe? Just Shoalts and Brunt? 🙂 That’s got to improve their bargaining position.

I like Grange. I don’t mind his voice. It’s not a classic radio voice but it’s not irritating. I’m more concerned with the content which tends to be good. PTS co-host is welcome.

I was shocked and happy to see Stellick on Monday. Back in the day when I listened to radio for most of the day I enjoyed his show with Cox. Stellick has gotten a raw deal when the big shuffle happened. I wouldn’t mind him as one of the PTS hosts when Bobcat is away golfing.

• comment-avatar

Stelleck and Grange 1-4 daily? Im down!

Justin 8 years ago

no, no more Gord Stellick.

Roger 8 years ago

Great – another whiny liberal voice to listen to at Rogers.

Moore and Pelley are both the anti-Christ. I hope Rogers fails miserably.

Another reason to tune in to TSN.

Raptors Devotee 8 years ago

Roger, usually trolls do not come across as blatantly obvious as you did. Next time, cut the rhetoric down about 95% and maybe you will not be spotted as easily.

Roger 8 years ago

Raptor Devotee/Loser,

I’m a troll because I disagree with most of the other posts? Its a blog – I’m giving my honest opinion.

Oh I forgot, people like you dont want differeing opinions.

Tabber 8 years ago

Great, another whiny conservative poster. Your “anti-Christs” are part of your right-wing media, twit. Can’t even recognize your own heroes, huh? It’a all about the money for you and them, and the hell with anyone else, we know. Interesting how the right-wingnuts can’t recognize their own whininess, even in the field of sports. It must take a certain obliviousness to reality to not see the irony. Enjoy your delusions.

Roger 8 years ago

Nice post, Tabber. Try making a point next time.

• comment-avatar

This is the last large dominoe to fall IMO. Very surprised TSN didn’t try to get them, after Cybulski, Arthur & maybe Feschuk & Hayes, fresh voices with a good diverse voices there and C&C after Arthur & maybe Feschuk co-hosting the drop-off is pretty huge and saying that, I haven’t heard Feschuk in a while there.

Now that he’s full time on RSN, I am with Lee & RabDev, a Stellick & Grange combo in the early afternoon timespot would be really strong. I think their strengths would compliment each other very well. PTS already has a strong roster with Brunt & Damo, sure after that would be a bit of a dropoff but with that you can always move Grange to PTS temporarily if need be if neither Brunt or Damo are around and you want somebody of quality there.

Big win for TheFan. I can’t really think of another writer who can make that jump, maybe Simmions but he’s done it before but never really truly impressed me.

• comment-avatar

Rome – Stellick + Grange would be good. I also like Grange with McCown, and Cox with Stellick though. Maybe Cox could sit in with Stellick occasionally, and Grange could be the 3rd co host on PTS.

mike (in boston) 8 years ago

wouldn’t stellick + grange just be Gameplan all over again?