More Changes At Sportsnet Fan 590

Multiple sources have told me that Howard Berger has been relieved of his duties as Maple Leafs reporter for the station, a position he has held for numerous years, back to the very early days of the station.

More details later.

@yyzsportsmedia

Karina
June 1, 2011 1:30 pm

If this is true, I’d be very interested in why now. It seems like he’s gotten away with a lot over the past few years, what changed?

d.
d.
June 1, 2011 1:34 pm

Wow. I guess he must have been in a reflective mood when he made that recent blog post chronicling his media career.

I’m kinda bummed about this. I’m in no way a Leafs fan but I thought that Howard did a very good job covering the team. He’s clearly a Leafs fan – but one with good perspective & one who didn’t shy away from asking the occasional tough or uncomfortable question.

If this is true, I hope he pops up somewhere else soon.

Rome
Rome
June 1, 2011 1:53 pm

I think I heard him asking Farrell questions in the Blue Jays mananger post game presser a few days back during the Jays talk.

A bit surprised, but you can tell his standing has dropped over the last few seasons.

Adhish
Adhish
June 1, 2011 2:06 pm

berger confirmed it on his Twitter account. Apparently Lajoie gone as well?

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
June 1, 2011 2:12 pm

Not surprised, but you have to feel for the guy. It sure seems to be a tough gig being in any radio job these days.

d.
d.
June 1, 2011 2:13 pm

From his latest tweet, it does appear that Lajoie has been let go as well.

Roger
Roger
June 1, 2011 2:24 pm

Maybe he was fired because he doesn’t like gay marriage.

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
June 1, 2011 2:25 pm

And yet,kristhole is still employed.Mind boggling!!

David
David
June 1, 2011 2:29 pm

I couldn’t stand Berger; got very old with his personal feelings on subjects instead of reporting the information. I feel beat writers/reporters should not get so involved on subjects with personal feelings.

Mike
Mike
June 1, 2011 3:14 pm

I like Howard. Mistake letting him go. TSN will jump on him like raw meat in the lions den.

Steve from Waterloo
Steve from Waterloo
June 1, 2011 3:21 pm

Not sure that TSN will. Burke certainly did not hide is disdain for all things Howard. Not sure that was fair, or with merit, but it is pretty hard for Howard to do his job effectively if the organization he is intended to be reporting on will not show any respect whatsoever.

He doesn’t need to be buddies, but he does need respect.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
June 1, 2011 3:31 pm

I think this is a good move by the Fan. I personally had no time for listening to Berger or reading his Blogs.

If it is true that Roger Lajoie is gone, that too is a really good move. I realize this guy was willing to fill in any time spot known to mankind, but he was unlistenable.

When do we get the announcement that Don Kollins is gone? As someone earlier mentioned all these recent good moves must be the work of Pelley.

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
June 1, 2011 3:37 pm

@ Gerry has anyone in MSM asked if kollins is still employed by fan/590??
It may be a question TSM might query??

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
June 1, 2011 3:40 pm

@Sam in Scarb, I know that i have heard Bobcat, Richie Rich and others recently only allude to Pelley not Kollins.

Kind of funny really. TSN must really be regretting having lost Pelley. He seems to have had the Midas touch everywhere he has been the past 10 years.

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
June 1, 2011 3:52 pm

The fan has to make room for Grange & Stellick ..
Giving the gas-pipe to two loyal employees with over 40 years combined is NOT a kollins move..

The Rookie
The Rookie
June 1, 2011 3:52 pm

I wonder if the FAN are cleaning things up in order to go after Leaf radio rights. I have also wondered if that is why Gord Stellick keeps popping up every now and then; they are keeping him in the bullpen and when the time comes he will be part of the FAN’s radio play by play team when they acquire the Leaf rights???

Roger
Roger
June 1, 2011 4:03 pm

Pelley is ajoke. He’s going to run Rogers into the ground. Just watch.

Sean
Sean
June 1, 2011 4:29 pm

Thank god.

I hate to see anyone loose their jobs, but Burger was one of the most irritating people to listen to.

Lejoie I really never cared for either way, which may be why he is also no longer there.

dave
dave
June 1, 2011 4:38 pm

Pretty sure Roger Lajoie is still in the mix, all of his stuff is up on the website still.

mario
mario
June 1, 2011 4:41 pm

Too bad for Howard.. but his time has come..was very effective years ago but he has just become stale the past 5 yrs or so.. lets see who they now bring in .. do they go outside the Co. or do they go with in..

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
June 1, 2011 4:50 pm

@Mario…Stelick is there already..Hummmmmmm

Sean
Sean
June 1, 2011 4:52 pm

I remember Howard calling fans trained seals and mocking them for loving the team. Im shocked he lasted that long.

June 1, 2011 6:21 pm

I don’t really have much of an opinion on Berger. Sad to see someone lose their job, but maybe time for a fresh voice.

As others have said – is this a sign The Fan is expecting to get the Leafs? Maybe have a different crew in mind?

I feel bad hoping for someone to lose his job, but I admit that when I heard Lajoie was let go, I was kind of happy at the prospect of not hearing him on the air. Guess that was false info though.

June 1, 2011 9:11 pm

Berger made himself the story too many times.

He was a good beat reporter and could be counted for good guest appearances to talk about the roster, but not much beyond that. Very good radio voice though, and I hope he lands another gig soon.

johannes
johannes
June 1, 2011 9:14 pm

Lajoie just tweeted: “@yyzsportsmedia Not correct – don’t know where you got that from I’m still at The Fan”
TSM, you need to respond, admit your error and apologize to that man.

Cam
Cam
June 2, 2011 8:53 am

Mike (In Boston) agree with the comment about HB making himself the story far too many times. However it seems to be the trend for media to become the story rather than just covering it. The Winnipeg move became as much about the media covering it and who got the story as the story itself. As for Berger, it is tough to see anyone lose their job, but I must admit I stopped listening a while back.

Sean: I agree with you regarding the trained seal comments by HB. Mike Wilner is one who should take note of this. I happen to catch a bit of recent segment with Blair. During the brief bit I heard, there was a fair bit of disdain for the fans he interacts with. If this is the case, life is just too short and he really should find another vocation.