Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

Here’s are your drive home lineups

On Fan 590 Tonight-

Simeon Jackson – Forward, Canadian Men’s National Team

Bob McKenzie

Daniel Nestor – French Open, Doubles Champion

Pat Quinn

Darren Dreger

On 640 with Jim Ralph and Bill Watters thanks to Mike S.:

4:40 – Bob Beers (Boston Bruins Radio Analyst)
5:05 – Eric Duhatschek (Globe & Mail Playoff Insider)
5:25 – Nick Cafardo (Boston Globe)
6:05 – Tony Gallagher (Vancouver Province)
6:25 – Paul Hendrick (Leafs TV)

Chris F.
Chris F.
June 6, 2011 11:52 pm

I hope Blair doesn’t do a call in segment if he’s guest hosting next Monday. Today’s call in segment was just ATROCIOUS!

“you’re whining” “no no i’m not whining i’m telling you the facts” “you’re whining you’re whining”

I said “enough with this crap” and turned off the radio to read a book.

Tom
Tom
June 7, 2011 12:11 am

Not a fan of Blair (or Brunt as I have posted before). I agree that segment was awful. I bailed and tried TSN and it was no better. Sorry but Gareth Wheeler sounds too much like a totally tubular dude for me bro. I opted to enjoy the rest of my drive home in silence.

June 7, 2011 12:47 am

I believe McCown is off all of this week and Blair is filling in for him…………in the past Blair has always taken an hour of calls every day when he fills in for McCown so i assume that will continue all week………..Blair taking calls bores me and 1050 had Arthur on today as co-host so the 4:00 hour was an easy choice for me

June 7, 2011 1:49 am

Here is what Elliotte Friedman wrote on his blog about Howard Berger:

“Seventeen years ago, Howard Berger helped open the door to my career. I’m not here without his generosity. Thank you, Howard”

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
June 7, 2011 9:22 am

Is it just me, or do others find Blair’s high whiny voice grating on the nerves?

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
June 7, 2011 11:53 am

When he starts to get too excited it becomes that way yes Al. But for whatever reason, I can listen to that, but Hayes on TSN, something about the way he talks gets to me. I know i am being trivial, but he has this U.S. accent kind of and it just sounds contrived and really annoys me.

I do like the fact Blair talks alot about the Jays, and knows what he is talking about. There aren’t many on the airwaves that speak with much intelligance as it relates to baseball in this city.

Steve (in Hamilton)
Steve (in Hamilton)
June 7, 2011 12:49 pm

For the most part, I am bored when anyone takes calls. Usually the callers are not very insightful and often the segments attract the most abrasive and silly callers. Curiously, it seems that stations want callers who can be loud and combative, because that is supposedly what makes “good radio.”. I have often heard Krystal talk about what makes “good radio,” and when I hear Blair take a childish position with callers (on a pointless topic) then I think he is trying to hard.

Honestly – and quite seriously – I would rather hear Bob talk about what he is going to have for dinner (which he sometimes does) than endure call-in segments. Most often I listen to 590 to be entertained when I am driving, and call-in segments are just not entertaining for me.

Steve (in Hamilton)
Steve (in Hamilton)
June 7, 2011 12:59 pm

Ugh…I meant trying “too” hard. 🙂

Smack
Smack
June 7, 2011 1:13 pm

Hayes is Bill Hayes son and John Derringer’s nephew, isn’t he? I’ve always assumed he’s Canadian so his accent comes across as affected to me and is offputting. That said, perhaps he grew up in the states as my understanding is the Hayes and Derringer were born in the states. If so it wouldn’t bother me as much.

Sean
Sean
June 7, 2011 3:01 pm

Smack – Hayes grew up in Ontario and played hockey in the OHL

In regards to Blair, I hate when he takes calls. Its like a message board troll who is trying to rile up people. He bates people to get emotional.

Its pretty childish in my opinion, but whatever you have to do to get calls.

June 7, 2011 3:33 pm

I really enjoy the Blair show. Like Gerry, I love that he’s great on baseball, and I also think he has an interesting, non sycophantic take on things.

If he does an hour of calls on a boring topic, it can get to be a bit much, but I think he has improved a lot since he started.

I haven’t listened to Hayes much. He seems OK to me, but I prefer Blair, so I don’t really listen.

Tom
Tom
June 7, 2011 8:02 pm

@Al – Yup. Blair’s nasal voice drives me crazy. I remember when they used to hire broadcasters for on-air jobs. Jeff ‘Ya Know’ Blair. I will add that to my 590 drinking game 🙂

The Fonz
The Fonz
June 7, 2011 11:34 pm

I have had difficulty taking Blair seriously since he announced that instead of watching Carter’s HR against Philadelphia to win the World Series he went to a Madonna concert. He said he was working in Montreal at the time and had little interest in the Jays World Series wins. For me, all his credibility as a baseball or Jays authority went out the window.

James
James
June 8, 2011 9:55 am

@Fonz

I honestly don’t mean to troll (all in good fun ;)), but do you really base your opinions on everyone and anything on the most insignificant random details that most people wouldn’t care for more than 3 seconds about, that you nitpickrage so hard about that it literally makes the person/thing/whatever unbearable?

Lol – Brunt should be apologizing for predicting a vancouver win….even though the series is still ongoing. Then Blair has the temerity to bring up something from 20 years ago that somehow invalidates everything in between, his performance, entertainment value, knowledge, and broadcast ability. Not saying I love him or anything…but really.

James
James
June 8, 2011 10:04 am

@Tom

I remember too – like Andrew Krystal??? Thank god they realized Toronto already HAD knowledgeable sports guys with broadcast experience, bringing voices like Blair, Brunt, Arthur, etc onto the airwaves.

Ill take any of them over a ‘broadcaster’ any day.

The Fonz
The Fonz
June 8, 2011 11:47 pm

@James

I honestly think it is more than just nitpicking. I have difficulty listening to Blair talk about the Jays when I know he went to a Madonna concert instead of watching their finest hour.

If as an example Darren Dregar said he went to a Bon Jovi concert instead of watching Crosby score in Vancouver against the United States, I would have difficulty listening to him tell me what it takes to win an Olympic gold medal.

The Fonz
The Fonz
June 8, 2011 11:54 pm

@James

Brunt didn’t really word it as a prediction. He said “it is not if, but when, they will win for sure”. Blair responded with “it is not in doubt”. Since then Boston has outscored Vancouver 12-1. Whatever, it is all good. 🙂