Interesting Choice Of Words In Burke Story

So here I am watching the NBA finals, yes me, watching the NBA on tv, flipping through websites catching up on my reading when I read the following in the Globe and Mail:

“Burke was quick to clarify his role in the proceedings, using media friends to describe his role as “procedural” and adding that he was not asked for an opinion on the matter. Murphy indicated he spoke with Burke because of his experience in the job, and because he is unable to confer with Campbell.”

Now, I realize I was in the dentists chair for a solid 2 hours today (yes I am the world’s biggest anti-dentite) and I haven’t read or seen everything yet, but I hadn’t heard Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke making the rounds today, at least not post suspension.

In case you missed it too, Mike Murphy, who’s over-sized signature hangs on the wall at the worst arena in town- Rinx in the Dufferin/Lawrence area- admitted in a public forum that he consulted with Brian Burke (amongst others) in trying to handle the Nathan Horton head shot issue from last nights game.

Understandably, mentioning Burke’s name to a Canucks fan around such an important issue would add serious fuel to the fire. Clearly not the best time for Murphy to all up front and honest. What struck be about the above quote was the blatant shot at members in the MSM for being “friends”with Burke.

Of course I was immediately interested in whom the Globe and Mail thinks are Burke’s media friends and turned to my trusted friend Google to see what I could find.

“Burke told Sun Media via e-mail on Tuesday that he would not respond to “unnamed sources” critiquing his role on Tuesday, repeating it was strictly a procedural discussion he had with Murphy.”

That from the Toronto Sun was really all I could find at this hour. Is Lance Hornby the lone friend of Burke here or are there more being insinuated?

Maybe it’s nothing, but it’s hard for me to imagine that a good writer like Matthew Sekeres(who’s work I really like) would put the friends of Burke point in his story with a very specific reason. What that reason is, remains a mystery to me right now.

johnny fever
johnny fever
June 8, 2011 8:45 am

Burke’s “friends” leapt to his defence on Twitter – McKenzie et al.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
June 8, 2011 9:17 am

Yes we shouldn’t expect to see anything critical of the League or Burke from TSN. I really hope Brunt will write an article questioning why a League Exec. has to call a former GM and former League Exec for advice, when he himself is supposedly capable of making these decisions.

TSN really exposed themselves during the Atlanta to Winnipeg story, and are doing nothing to improve upon this image.

David
David
June 8, 2011 9:20 am

Not to mention, a GM who has a draft pick position riding on the outcome of the series.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
June 8, 2011 9:25 am

David – I could go on and on about this past example of the NHL and its ridiculous spinning wheel of justice. The fact there is hardly an article anywhere to be found being critical of the league is dumbfounding. For a country that claims to eat breathe live hockey, where are the critics now on this ridiculous example.

Roger
Roger
June 8, 2011 9:40 am

“murph” as he’s called by his lodge buddies is a moron. An average player, an awful coach (2 years as Leafs coach – no playoffs) and now in an executive position only because he’s “Collie’s” buddy.

That should qualify him as a Senator in his next position….

James
James
June 8, 2011 9:46 am

Article maybe, but listen to PTS much and you’ll hear that there is *some* sanity in this country when it comes to the NHL.

its more the “fans” that claim to e-t-l hockey, as far as MSM goes they sort of just play it like they are serving these e-t-l-ers. Then there is TSN who is basically the NHL network…

There aren’t actually many hockey writers I think are very good at all. Cox? Personally I find at least in TO that the great writers don’t actually follow hockey as a primary source of articles. *of course sometimes they DO write about hockey

Although at least Colie is out…you guys think there is a chance Shanahan brings the position some fraction of respect?

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
June 8, 2011 11:00 am

Why the surprise about “Murph” asking “Burkie” for advice? Was it because he could not reach “Collie” or “Shanny”?

What do you expect from a league that cannot come up with a clear distinction of what constitutes a headshot, a blind side or hit from behind.

If you have no clear definition and what an infraction is, and no hardball criteria for what the punishmnent is, then every case will be judged by a jury of peers, and we all know how that works out in life.