Toronto Sports Media Morning Drive Lineups

Here’s your drive lineup for your listening enjoyment this am:

On 590 with Greg Brady and Jim Lang:

Gord Stellick in for Brady who’s in Boston.

Must admit it was a nice surprise to hear Stellick on in the am. He’s a good fill in for any shift at the Fan.

On TSN radio with Mike Richards

Pierre McGuire (NHL on TSN Analyst)
Dan Shulman (ESPN Play-by-Play)
Sam Stout (UFC Fighter)
Aaron Ward (NHL on TSN Analyst)
Danny Brannagan (Argos QB)

robinaurora
robinaurora
June 9, 2011 7:59 am

I’m not sure if Stellick has a job that doesn’t allow him to do fill in work, but would he not be far preferable to Roger Lajoie when someone is off (Blair, etc) as well as the drive time shows. If he filled in each time someone was off, he’d be on the air quite often and he would often be preferable to who he’s filling in for (Brady, Blair, Krystal, even McCown IMO). He could carve a nice place for himself at the FAN and Lajoie wouldn’t be on any more, which is about time. Sorry Roger, but you’ve had your run

R3000
R3000
June 9, 2011 9:27 am

Totally agree with Rob. If they don’t get rid of Sparkles and give Gord back the Big Show, they should at least make him the super sub.

Norman
Norman
June 9, 2011 10:12 am

I am in agreement Stellick is a great fill-in. I find Andrew Krystal to be unlistenable so I would prefer Stellick in that timeslot. I would think in the fall TSN will feature local programming in the 1pm-4pm slot. Anybody there would be better than Krystal. I am not on the TSN radio wagon at all I must say. I would prefer not to hear Roger Lajoie at all either !!!

June 9, 2011 10:40 am

Agreed…………I think Lajoie was on the air for something like 45 straight days last summer…………it would be nice to hear Stellick instead of Lajoie when people at 590 start taking vacations this summer

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
June 9, 2011 11:06 am

Totally agree as well. Roger is a nice guy and all that, but I just can’t listen to him, he is B talent at best. No reason why Stellick could not be the go to sub guy. I support that 100%. I filled out the latest questionnaire and put in the comments section to at least get rid of Krystal already for the 1-4 slot and replace him with Stellick/Grange. Next time I will see what I can do about getting rid of Roger finally.

Rome
Rome
June 9, 2011 11:32 am

I don’t know if I would go as far as wanting Lajoie fired, He’s a fill in guy, I don’t think he should be on a month straight, he most of the time isn’t too inspiring to listen to. But it’s okay for a second level fill in guy

Stellick/Grange in the afternoon, I think would work pretty well.

June 9, 2011 1:04 pm

I have to agree with all you guys about Lajoie. Seems like a nice guy, but I don’t tend to tune in when he’s on.

I think I may know why Stellick isn’t filling in for Blair. I believe I read that Stellick hosts a midday hockey show on XM radio. So he probably can’t logistically do the 9 to 12 or 1 to 4 shift.

With him being around The Fan so much, I bet he’ll be back in a more permanent capacity soon. My guess is either 1 to 4 or as host/colour guy for Leafs PBP.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
June 9, 2011 2:12 pm

When i hear Lajoie on the radio, immediately switch or turn off. Cannot listen to this man, no matter how “nice a guy” he is.

Stellick would clearly be a better fill in for vacations, but I suspect his contract is set up such that he is limited in how often we hear him. Lajoie I am sure is a more cost effective substitute for them. (Remember they have to pay for Bobcat!)

Interesting that the recent Fan survey avoids anything to do with quality or what we think of the hosts of shows and centred on sports updates, amount of sports talk.

Found many questions did not provide me an applicable answer.

Also curious at the questions pertaining to a 2nd NHL team in Toronto, and the continued questions pertaining to an NFL team here.

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
June 9, 2011 2:29 pm

Gordie is as comforting as homemade meatloaf on cold snowy winter night. The more of him the better, I say.

June 9, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks for the link Mr AL…………….the numbers are very interesting

June 9, 2011 3:44 pm

Gerry – I thought the same thing..

Why does The Fan care if we’d like to see a 2nd NHL team or an NFL team. And why do they care where we’d rank them in our ‘fav T.O. teams’?

I’m probably wrong – but part of me wondered if that was Rogers Communication asking that rather than The Fan. We know Rogers is interested in the NFL. Are they interested in a 2nd NHL team too?

June 9, 2011 3:58 pm

I have to say those ratings don’t surprise me.

It’s very early, but TSN radio hasn’t hooked me in the least. Seems very bland. Often curious topic choices. After the first few days I really haven’t felt the urge to listen, except for the occasional flip when PTS is on commercial.

Leafs rights seem like they’re going to be such a huge domino. If TSN gets them, then they may be able to make inroads like how 640 did. Just promote the hell out of the fact that they are the ‘Leafs station’. That may not be enough to beat The Fan (ex 640’s sports programming), but it will at least garner them an audience.

On the other hand, if The Fan gets Leafs rights, then it could become a serious mismatch for a while.