Toronto Sports Radio Ratings

So it’s radio ratings time again. Sportsnet the Fan 590 is holding firm, it’s doing well and keeps on keeping on, some #’s are down a little, but overall things look very strong.

Having talked to a couple of people over at TSN Radio, they are quite pleased given the start, keeping the eye on the marathon and not so much the sprint.

The folks at 590 are elated as well. The numbers are strong and that’s what advertisers hold on to.

Couple of things to keep in mind when looking at the numbers. There are roughly 1.3 million men in the 25-54 demographic in the Toronto radio listening area. Roughly 284 meters are given to men that fit that bill. When one considers the size of the metered men who actually listen to sports radio you are talking about ratings being based upon literally 24-26 meters.

In other words this isn’t an exact science. Having said that, it’s the only system that we have and for a moment everyone is stuck with it. I will say this once again, in my opinion the biggest winner is us the listeners. We know really have choice the entire sports day. That to me is fantastic.

Anyways, here is what I have heard through the grapevine:

In the male 25-54 demographic:

Vs. Cybuslki & Co. 10.2: Cybulski 1.2

7pm -10pm 6.4 months up from a 4.8

Vs. Tatti 6.4: Tatti 0.8

10pm-1a 4.5 from 4.3

Vs TSN Radio 4.5 : TSN 0.9

Total audience share in that demo 590: 499k vs TSN :170k

Jays are a 7.8 share which is huge.

More later from Seattle.

Weener
Weener
June 9, 2011 4:34 pm

Glad to see Krystal plummeting and having awful numbers compared to both the rest of the FAN roster as well as against TSN. Hopefully that jackass gets the heave-ho soon.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
June 9, 2011 4:42 pm

Thanks for the numbers TSM. For me, the best news out of all of this is how poorly Krystal is doing, considering that Dan Patrick is the only TSN show that is within striking distance of their FAN 590 counterpart.

I, for one, am a loyal Dan Patrick listener, and outside of having little knowledge of Canada, can still live with it, given how bad Krystal is. It cracked me up today when not only could they not identify, him and his crew, the other Roughrider team in the CFL besides Saskatchewan, as Edmonton was guessed, and then someone piped in with Ottawa, likely on the internet by googling it, but they had no idea that Ottawa does not even have a team now. At the same time, they still cover the NHL well, using Roenick as their correspondent, so they deserves some kudos for that.

It really is only a matter of time before Krystal is bought out, and the sooner the better as far as most of us are concerned.

TSN Radio is of course putting on a brave face, but I can’t imagine them not being incredibly disappointed with the numbers in certain time slots, mainly the all important drive shows, where they are being slaughtered.

Things will undoubtedly improve for TSN Radio (can’t get worse really) with the CFL coming shortly but that still won’t move things too much for them.

I agree with you, at least now we can flip back and forth and have some real choice, at least with most of the time slots, so we are the real winners.

JohnPaulJeanPaul
JohnPaulJeanPaul
June 9, 2011 6:06 pm

I really think with Sportsnet just signing Michael Grange, he’s waiting in the wings to be a part of a show. That makes sense, doesn’t it? He would be a good co-host to help out Blair’s sagging ratings. You can tell they have a good chemistry and they really like each other.

Drumanchor
Drumanchor
June 9, 2011 6:52 pm

Those TSN ratings are right up there with Sun TV. Yikes.

Justin
Justin
June 9, 2011 7:51 pm

My listening habits for the most part gravitate to the fan, but I have to tell you, I’m not enjoying the sportsnet infiltration. I tend to listen less these days.

I like Greg Brady, but don’t like Jim Lang. He actually ruins the show for me.

I never liked that hockey central show. Mallard and McLean are not for me. Kypreos is ok; he has to work to get a word in.

Krystal is a bust. I really don’t think he’s going to last long.

I really enjoy McCown, but don’t like it when he’s inundated with sportnet personalities (e.g. John Shannon). To me, nothing is better than McCown with Brunt and/or Grange. Cox is meh to me.

June 9, 2011 11:29 pm

How telling is it that the only timeslot where TSN comes even remotely close to The Fan is in the 1-4 slot. And with arguably TSN’s weakest show! (if you buy that people in T.O don’t want to listen to US syndication).

At this point it’s safe to say that Krystal was a big mistake, I think. I think everything else in the daily lineup is good quality though, with PTS taking it up a notch.

Nice to see Jays doing well. I think the radio and TV broadcasts have really improved over the last couple years. I think the radio team in particular is excellent.

Chris F.
Chris F.
June 9, 2011 11:31 pm

Interesting numbers there. The writing is on the wall for Kyrstal to be bought out IMO. Perhaps Grange will get the 1-4 spot as a co-host with someone else. It’s too bad that Stellick has a daytime radio show on XM as a Stellick/Grange show would work IMO.

The ratings for TSN Radio are ABYSMAL! I know it’s a marathon but some of those numbers have to get better than that. It’s interesting tho that the one show that has decent numbers is an American based show.

June 9, 2011 11:34 pm

Must be tough for Cybulski – trying to develop a radio style and learn the ropes(as far as I know he hasn’t hosted a show before) up against PTS.

I think in some ways he’d be better served if he was on 1 – 4.

Martin
Martin
June 9, 2011 11:43 pm

I believe Cybulski had a radio show in Ottawa or Vancouver but the point is his start in media was in radio…

PBI
PBI
June 10, 2011 2:22 am

As bad as the ratings for TSN radio look, it’s pointless to reach any sort of conclusion from them until we have at least a year’s worth of data just to see how they do through the Leafs season (which is probably the most important stretch for any media outlet).

Also, something like Leafs radio rights can also have a significant impact on the ratings which I’m sure TSN will big huge for, plus their CFL coverage is about to kick off as well so I’m sure they’ll continue to nibble away at the Fan even though it’s too hockey centric for my tastes.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
June 10, 2011 7:41 am

I for one hope they keep Dan Patrick show. I used to watch lots of NBA but had pretty much stopped watching. Listening to DP show and its good NBA talk has me watching more again. I think come the start of NFL (hopefully!) this show will have great NFL commentary. Obviously Krystal is helping DP show in that timeslot, but also goes to show that a well produced radio show does well.

Richards needs a co-host, I would like to see them try Vic Rauter there, he always was good on the FAN as guest host or co-host. But it is just too much Richards on his own trying to be entertaining. I don’t mind him, but just as Brady needed a co-host (even though lang drives me nuts) so does Richards.

Cybulski show to me, just sounds bad, between Wheeler and his annoyingness or just the fact it sounds like forced chatter with all the TSN Sportsdesk personalities. When Bobcat, Brunt et al have their banter it doesn’t sound forced. Until this show gets a major upgrade PTS will dominate that timeslot.

Brian Hayes is not for me, but I think if TSN gets Leafs rights his show will shoot up. He knows hockey far better than Blair.

Leafs rights is going to be huge player in this. TSN 1050 is clearly a Toronto show, not national so getting these rights will be critical to success.

Chris
Chris
June 10, 2011 10:02 am

Is Cybulski and Co. being drummed by the Watters show, too? If so, then TSN should be very worried. AM640 doesn’t even lead into the afternoon drive show with sports programming. So the people who are listening to the Watters show, are making a choice to go there.

Like everyone else has said, the Krystal show numbers are brutal. If the Fan doesn’t make a change there (and I think it’s only a matter of time before they do), then TSN outta move Hayes to that slot against him.

Rome
Rome
June 10, 2011 10:39 am

Thanks so much for the numbers, looking more at it I’d like to calculate how much of the local sports listeners are listening to the Fan (compared to TSNR)
Brady 87%
Blair 92%
HC 90% or 91% depending on what number you go with
Krystal 58%
PTS 89%
evening 89%
late evening 83%

The Krystal numbers just jump out. Every other show in the day at the fan has at least 85% of sports listeners, but Krystal is just over half of the listeners. He can’t make an excuse of timespot because if you look at percentage of sports listeners, they left and moved for his time spot. TSNR for this timespot is interesting, do they go with a local guy & see if they can beat Krystal, or is there an appeal of an syndicated guy & different topics is helping also. I listen to Jim Rome during this time for that reason. But it’s mostly has to be Krystal losing a bunch of listeners

Which makes PTS rating even more amazing, considering they have almost zero lead in & then tripling Krystal numbers (which says even more about Krystal how people leave for him and then come back when he’s gone) Percentage wise PTS vs C&C are still pretty consistant with throughout the day (high 80s/low 90s) I wonder how Watters show is doing at that time? Also wonder if it might be a good strategy for Cybulski to start an hour early, go head to head with Krystal’s last hour and see if you can hold on to some of that audience when PTS take the air?

My biggest surprise actually is how much Blair is leading Hayes, I find that timespot to be the closest in quality, this timespot & PTS/C&C are the times I mostly go back and forth. I thought Hayes rating would be a few percentage better. I am giving up on M Richards, I just can’t get into him, the monotone voice, the “bits” that just never worked for me, he started to not even be in my “alternative choice” anymore. Brady has a quicker pace that works well for me in the morning, even though I am still not sold on Lang and I find Brady falls back on his “safe hockey zone” way too often, when I know he can talk about other sports in a quality way.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
June 10, 2011 11:25 am

Question for TSM and whoever else may have thoughts on my question.

Given how few ppm’s are being used in the GTA, this provides a very limited spectrum of peoples listening habits. I would think that a forum which we have here should be invaluable information for the stations such as 1050, 590 etc… because we are a great representation of a sports viewers wants/needs.

There are about 20-25 of us whose names I regularly see contributing to the topics at hand. Obviously we are probably on the extreme side of sports fans given our thirst for information. Given that, I would fully expect that Pelley, Kollins and whoever does the job at TSN would be monitoring our comments somewhat.

I realize we all can get a little extreme in our views, but there clearly are some constant themes to many of our posts.

For the Fan, to me it is painfully obvious that Krystal simply is not at the right station. Given Rogers long reaching arms into many different media forums, why haven’t they yet made a change? Find him a new home if you don’t want to pay out his contract.

For TSN – unless they really do have big changes in store for fall, they need to really start making some plans revisit their current programming. They need to investigate improving their flagship Richards (add a person perhaps) morning program.

They need to get creative on their guests. Simply grabbing Dutch, Duthie, Mackenzie, Macguire is not providing the balanced sports radio we are looking for. We all have TV’s at home, and watching all these characters on Sportsdesk, That’s Hockey etc… tells us most of what we are looking for from their opinions. If i could compare, it would be like PTS having Bobcat host the show and his guests would be Shannon, Richie Rich, Brad Fey, Damian Goddard (just kidding), RJ Broadhead as their continuous guests. What we like about PTS is the insights which Brunt, Grange, Cox etc… bring to the show.

I guess to cut this short, my point is TSN seems to have done little planning to really attract listeners and I believe have missed the mark by alot. And I was ready to give TSN radio alot of my time.

The fan on the other hand, have made some good changes recently but continue to drop the ball on Krystal and to a lesser extent by maintaining Lajoie and Deacon as fill ins which most of us are tired of and switch off.

Done ranting, must get back to work now.

Drumanchor
Drumanchor
June 10, 2011 12:04 pm

I think Gerry has made some excellent points. It appears to me that most of these comments are well articulated and pretty darn close to what the BBM ratings seem to indicate.

I do feel for Mr. Krystal — he is in over is head and no one is throwing him a life preserver.

Funny, but I remember doing one of those Fan590 surveys early on in the Kollins days. They had a question asking “Who would you like to see host The Fan590 morning show?” This being just after they canned Stellick and Landry, and it looked nicely proactive.

Anyway, my response was: “Please don’t hire someone who is ‘edgy’ just for the sake of being ‘edgy’. It won’t work in this market — too American.”

Well, look who was hired and look how well it has worked.

At the risk of sounding like Don Cherry and his non-stop chest thumping …. “I told yas! I TOLD yas!!”

Rob M
Rob M
June 12, 2011 4:30 pm

I’m pretty sure that Lumby would get better ratings in that afternoon spot than Krystal. I gave the idiot a try one day last week when I had to stay home from work to let the plumber in and I couldn’t believe how awful he was. Maybe he has some pictures of someone’s wife. That can be the only reason he is still on the air.