Toronto Sports Media Morning Drive Lineups

Here’s your drive lineup for your listening enjoyment this am:

On 590 with Greg Brady and Jim Lang:

All canucks/bruins

On TSN radio with Mike Richards

All canucks/bruins
and Argos of course 🙂

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
June 16, 2011 8:31 am

Just wondering, would we have seen vandalism like this in downtown Toronto if (and I know, a REALLY BIG if) the Leafs had lost this game at home?

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
June 16, 2011 8:38 am

Tweet from Bill Walton –
“Vancouver police have turned to Plan B to stop this madness. They’ve called Tim Thomas into action considering he’s stopped everything else”

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
June 16, 2011 9:55 am

Typically when a riot like this occurs, it is a group of thugs/gang tpye element that look for an event like the Cup loss as an opportunity to riot/loot/burn etc…

In looking at many pictures I am shocked at how many individuals are wearing Canuck jersey’s doing this. Again, in past Montreal Riots, the troublemakers starting everything were not wearing jerseys and were essentially gang members.

I don’t think it would be as bad in Toronto, only because I think our police through G8 etc… are getting more experienced identifying the trouble makers and dealing with quicker.

If I am the Canuck organization I am sending a cheque to City Hall, because that appeared to be alot of Fan BullShit going on. Great Tweet by Walton.

Rome
Rome
June 16, 2011 12:08 pm

Ha at TSM Argo comment. BTW, lead story on TSNRadio…. Huge story from BC….. The BC Lions won opening CFL preason game in Calgary… Nothing else happened concerning anything in BC…. Okay maybe not.

Mr Hot & Cold Arthur (who was hot yesterday lol) wrote during the “post game street activites” how annoyed he was with people saying “These aren’t hockey fans” while a quarter of the people are wearing a hockey jersey. Brady this morning repeated similar opinion. Thank YOU! I am so sick of this hockey culture here that acts like hockey fans are these sainted people who would never act like idiots & are so above anything. Hockey fans are just like anybody else, you have cool people, you also have losers, idiots and jerks.

If this happened when UFC was either here or there in VanCity and people trashed the street while wearing “Tap out” muscle shirts after the event, I will bet pretty high that most of the mainstream would quickly say “See look at those UFC fans” same if it happened a soccer, basketball or something like cricket it would be something like “those people” are causing problems. So thumbs up to the likes of Brady & Arthur for pushing back against the “saintly hockey folks” because we all know every hockey fan who’s not watching hockey spends all their time with family reading the bible.

Okay I will say something I haven’t said too much, but here it goes. Thumbs up also goes to TSNR last night for going to their Vancouver affiliate was really strong, the post game host was great, the over night host not so much “He was really going strong on the there might be a handful of hockey fans” really dude lol. But even saying that, listening to people and callers from there talking about what went on in the ice and now on their streets was easily much more intersting than listening to Sammut talking to a guy from Barrie about how he happy for Cam Neely

Craig
Craig
June 16, 2011 12:44 pm

@Al from Burlington – You do realize that the quote you threw out there in your post is from a fake/parody Bill Walton twitter account right?

Dave from the suburbs
Dave from the suburbs
June 16, 2011 2:04 pm

Rome said:
” I am so sick of this hockey culture here that acts like hockey fans are these sainted people who would never act like idiots & are so above anything. Hockey fans are just like anybody else, you have cool people, you also have losers, idiots and jerks. ”

Thank you for posting what was thinking. Since when is the average hockey fan a cultured, single malt whisky sipping, Steely Dan listening aristocrat? I’d say just under the majority are cement heads.

June 16, 2011 3:32 pm

I agree with Dave and Rome. The ‘good Canadian hockey guy’ is tiring.

As for the riot – I honestly don’t think this would happen in Toronto.

Our closest comparison was 92 and 93, and those were extremely peaceful. I believe there were a few injuries, but nothing major.

Now, I know the Leafs winning (or losing) a game 7 would be unique and different from anything else. But different enough that fans would trash the city? No. Maybe I could see it if the 92/93 celebrations were anything but harmless.

Lets not forget – those celebrations in 92/93 may not have held the same emotion and passion that a Leafs win would, but they were seriously huge parties. Plenty of opportunity for things to go awry.

June 16, 2011 3:34 pm

As for the riot itself, I’m absolutely disgusted. The video footage is really disturbing.

As a Canadian I’m embarrassed. That city should be ashamed.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
June 16, 2011 3:44 pm

Will be interesting watching the courts protect all those innocent kids who just happened to start a fire, or break a window, throwa rock at a cop but never deserved to be roughly handled by a police officer.

June 16, 2011 4:50 pm

“Hockey fans are just like anybody else, you have cool people, you also have losers, idiots and jerks.”

So true. I heard Eric Duhatsek say something like ‘these weren’t hockey fans, they’re thugs’ and a similar sentiment from many others.

Um…you don’t think thugs can be hockey fans? If you’re a hockey fan you must be a decent guy? Give me a break. As you said, every sports’ fans has good people and has idiots. (Been to a Jays home opener for example? Douchebag Central. And I love the Jays)

Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing about hockey or the Canucks that led to people acting this way, but it’s silly to pretend a ton of dudes in Canucks jerseys aren’t fans just because they’re behaving terribly.

kyle
kyle
June 16, 2011 11:05 pm

Also have to agree with Daniel, Dave and Rome. The ‘good Canadian hockey guy’ is tiring. “I’m cheering for the Bruins ’cause they have more Canadians”. Yeah, except MVP Thomas, a Big Z (ask the Sedins how important he was) are NOT Canadians.

June 17, 2011 2:01 am

I think by saying ‘those rioters aren’t hockey fans’ or ‘they aren’t Vancouverites, they’re anarchists that flew in’ it’s like we’re not taking accountability for the fact that there is an element of our society that is capable of this.

And after something that terrible, I think it’s important we don’t pretend that those idiots aren’t really Canadians and they don’t really love something really Canadian like hockey.

Unfortunately we have total dirtbags in our country and culture like everywhere else.

Bruce Arthur had an excellent article about this (in my opinion). Pretty much summed up my thoughts exactly: http://tinyurl.com/3j7gxmr

June 17, 2011 2:03 am

“I am having a tough time with the city being ashamed line. Not from you Daniel, but the rhetoric in general. ”

Yeah…maybe that’s harsh. I just found the whole thing so disturbing.