Is Pierre McGuire Bolting Canada?

Happy Saturday to you all.

A few days ago, frequent contributor, “Miracleviolence” posted what I had heard rumblings about as a comment to one of my posts:

“Time to go to work at the ol rumour mill

That is apparently the rumour at the Stanley Cup Final, as has been reported by Ken Campbell of The Hockey News.

Speculation at the Stanley Cup final is that hockey analyst Pierre McGuire could be leaving TSN to take a permanent position as an analyst with NBC and Versus.

McGuire already does work for both networks, but it’s believed NBC and Versus would prefer to have him on an exclusive basis. One scenario that has been floated is McGuire would leave TSN as a regular game analyst, but would do some special events, such as the World Junior Championship, for the Canadian network.

Talks are continuing and will likely be resolved soon. When asked about prospects for his future and his contract status with both TSN and NBC/Versus, McGuire declined comment”

Well, multiple sources are telling me that this indeed is the case. It sounds like McGuire has signed OR is about to sign an exclusive deal with NBC/versus with respect to actual NHL coverage. I am told to keep in mind that Pierre does a lot more than just stand in between benches and provide colour, or in studio during games. He has a presence on free agent day, trade deadline day, the World Juniors and more. I am told that his deal with NBC/Versus(who?) would simply mean the end of his ability to cover actual games for TSN up here. What does that mean for his radio presence on TSN radio? It’s not currently clear.

Here is another great example of voice vs. content. I am not sure there are too many better at what they do then McGuire. Having said that, if turned it down, just a touch, say to ELEVEN, he may be more tolerable and therefore more enjoyable. Everything with him is “amped” up. He should be doing Red Bull commercials.

If it’s true, or when it’s true, I have to believe it’s serious coin. In terms of audience there is no bigger deal in hockey then doing it in Canada, so the money must be huge. The alternative could be that someone has told him, or he believes himself that the odds of him getting a GM job is greater in the USA then it is in Canada and he needs more exposure in some of those non-traditional markets. Is that the reason? I have no idea, but for someone who appears to have struck out recently in GM jobs, it would make sense to me.

Rumors are swirling that the NFL is closing in on a new collective bargaining agreement. 2 points, keep in mind that the deal that is apparently being worked on has been negotiated “secretly” with a few owners. Unfortunately, it takes more than a few to ratify a deal. Me thinks that there are probably some hawk owners who aren’t going to like the terms of this secret deal. More importantly, when this deal gets done, and I am sure it will get it done sooner rather than later, it will be for one reason; the NFL is a money machine. Seriously, it is the envy of all other major sports leagues. When there are other legal battles in the other leagues, people say that it’s shocking given the amount of money involved. Well, in the NFL you are talking about BILLIONS. This isn’t a toy for someone to play with as it can be in other leagues. This is real money. This is serious money. Players can’t live without paychecks. Owners need the revenue. This will get done and sooner rather than later. I don’t have the same optimism with respect to the NBA.

I hope everyone has read the nice tribute to Toronto Sun scribe Bob Elliott by colleague Steve Simmons. There is no question who is the king of baseball journalism in Toronto. Growing up a Blue Jays fan I always wanted to know what Elliott had in terms of rumours or opinion. To be honest, I am saddened by the use of Elliott over the last couple of years. It appears that his focus is much more Canadian baseball then Blue Jays/ MLB. Personally I don’t really care what Canadian kids are being drafted etc. Elliott is the best, and when a story is developing I want his take. Having said that, I grew up on Elliott and can’t think of a more deserving candidate for the Jack Graney Award. Congrats Bob.

So, Joey Vendetta has been gracing us with his presence all week. What do you think? Personally, I think he is really good. They’ve given him good lineups too. If he would tone down the chick/boozing/partying bit a TON he would be great. He asks great questions, he listens and is funny too. I don’t really care what time he gets him, how often he drinks etc.

When the final buzzer went awarding the Boston Bruins the Stanley Cup, so began Toronto Maple Leaf playoff season. The NHL entry draft and free agency are around the corner. This is our time! Many an expert say that the NHL trade deadline day is the time for good teams to try to become great; the off-season is the time for mediocre teams to try to become good. All eyes are on Brian Burke. The pressure is indeed on. The playoffs have to be the goal with an eye to a long run in the playoffs. Can he do it? This is our time.

The Blue Jays seem to be puttering along, win one, lose 2. Win two lose 4. Will AA pull the trigger or will he stay the course? Once Burke is done the heavy lifting over the next couple of weeks, the Raptors have a coach and their draft/free agency, all attention focuses on the Blue Jays. I hope we have something to watch for this summer.

I am trying to respond to all your comments at least 1x a day. Keep the comments coming, I will do my best to respond.

Have a great Saturday.

lister
lister
June 18, 2011 11:48 am

YAY! No more McGuire!!

Darren
Darren
June 18, 2011 12:01 pm

Don’t let the door hit ya on the way out a-hole!!!

Martin
Martin
June 18, 2011 12:10 pm

Maguire will not get a NHL GM position without current front office experience – He’s been in tv/radio/media for over 15 years so no matter how much he talks about his knowledge being a coach or scout it is dated and not current & is only is opinion on a subject and not always a practical way of doing things in the current NHL. Four GM positions he lost out on Montreal-Calgary-Tampa-Minnesota went to candidates that were active in NHL front offices at the time.

June 18, 2011 12:51 pm

Elliott is the best, and when a story is developing I want his take

could not disagree more strongly. Elliott and Griffin are the only “old guard” baseball guys left in the city and the contrast between the two of them could not be more stark, to my eye at least.

Griffin has tried to educate himself and incorporate contemporary statistics into his analysis, he’s on top of the compensation system in baseball as well as service time clocks etc., he spends significant time in spring training, appears to watch most of the games, follows the league as a whole …

Elliott does few of these things, and seems to be coasting on his veteran status in this city. He is for me the paradigm of being past his prime and out of touch with the sport he covers.

Some people here will remember his cringeworthy appearance on PTS where he had not watched the latest game and was asking the hosts to read him the boxscore so he could comment on it.

mario
mario
June 18, 2011 1:49 pm

Good for McGuire.. not a big fan of his over the top presents on tv but is very knowagable on the game and I beleive a good person..I also liked Joey Vendetta and would fit in nicely in the 1-4 pm time slot… just have to get rid of you know who….Congrats to Elliott….

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
June 18, 2011 2:00 pm

Pierre – I will not miss this personality on TSN’s NHL coverage in the least. For all this talk of his “knowledge”, I recognize he knows hockey, he has lived and breathed it his entire life. But I find 80% of his comments complete overexplanation of everything. He has come up with coined phrases to describe the simplest of hockey plays. This drives me nuts, not to mention he has his amplifier set on Judas Priest level for sound. Sorry his head maybe shave like Rob Halford but he doesn’t sound as good at that level. He also is more caught up in telling us where every player spent his major junior career with some tidbit of a town that anyone can figure out from reading Wikipedia. To top it all off, franchises that have recently said no to him, like Montreal for example. He has held a clear grudge against them and no longer provides an Unbiased opinion on decsions they have made. As Darren so eloquently put it, Don’t let the door hit you on the way out, and if it misses you I will help shut it for you.

Agree with Mike in Beantown on Elliott. I used to really loved reading and hearing Bob. Not so the past 5 years, he truly has become somewhat fossilized in his efforts to keep up with the game. Too bad, because when this guy was into it, he gave great insights.

TSM, it has been nice reading your responses/comments thanks for doing that. One point, can you lead comments at the person you are responding to if it is specific to their inputs. Just makes it a bit easier to refer back to, (especially when I read the comments on my bberry) .

Really glad you have provided this forum to all of us. Great place to get insights from You and all the contributors. And of course a great place to vent (as you could see by my rant on Mr. Mcguire)

Happy Fathers Day to all the dads that check in here regularly and especially you TSM, hope you and little TSM have a great day.

Sam
Sam
June 18, 2011 2:06 pm

I’ll be able to watch TSN without McGuire, really not my cup of tea. I couldn’t stand how he has to tie everyone back to their Canadian junior team and their coach.

Off-topic but Krystal (gasp!) had a good interview with Tom Green on the Vancouver riots and other topics. http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media.jsp?content=20110617_141008_15428

Finally, will be good to have Bob back next week but after so much to talk about the past while we are into a steady diet of Jays with some labour unrest mixed in.

Kaze
Kaze
June 18, 2011 3:05 pm

Really love listening to Pierre on the Mike Richards, a lot calmer and toned down compared to hockey broadcasts. Had to turn NHL on TSN off when he was between the benches.

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
June 18, 2011 4:54 pm

Ahhh

-Elliot usta be great, now just an old libations abuser.
-McGuire..go go go and take a few voices from tsn with you!!
Joey Vendetta..EXCELLENT (never ever heard the man before) I can get by the “buddy name dropping” cause he flows with an interview and just does not ask 6 per-arranged questions.. SO much better than a guy with turrets and long pauses with NO personality for radio (bbaaiirr) ahh humm

KD in Sauga City
KD in Sauga City
June 18, 2011 5:12 pm

On his last several PTS appearances, Elliott to me has sounded really out of it. More than once he has been on to comment on games he did not see. In addition he has sounded like he has experienced an early onset of dementia.

Rome
Rome
June 18, 2011 5:34 pm

I find McGuire kind of entertaining and funny but it has to be in small doses.

I respect what Elliott has done in writing baseball in the city, but I have to agree with Mike in Championshiptown. But his appearances on PTS, I don’t put blame on him for that, why would PTS call him and tell him to comment on the game. How is it not the producers first question to him when they book him “Hey did you watch the game yesterday?” On a sidenote question, does SN or TSN have live stream of games that are on their site, I know CBC does a very good job on that, but not sure about the sports channels.

I can copy and paste exactly what you wrote about Vendetta. Going in I thought I was going to hate him, but he was pretty good. Agree with you on his interview skills were surpringly very good, you said it best, he seemed prepared & listened and he had a wide range of guests on from hockey players, TFC player, F1 reporter, ESPN writer and he did pretty well with each of them, each sounded very comfortable with him. Yeah too much “chicks talk” and name-dropping, I can live with some of that, but he went too much. But other than that, color me impressed. But what do we know, we are writing this on a blog, which he doesn’t care much for.

As for the Jays, what concerns me more than anything is that there are players who should be taking leadership roles but have regressed so much they are in Vegas (Snider) & a pitching staff that’s taken a few steps. There was a great article here a few weeks back about “How powerful is sports media” and having personal favorites. I always thought Cito never got the benefit of the doubt. Last season there were some impressive power numbers, and these rookie pitchers did pretty well. When Cito was given the boot most praise bringing in a “genuine” manager & I don’t see a huge approvment now.

Drumanchor
Drumanchor
June 18, 2011 5:43 pm

I got to know Joey a wee bit in my former life as a “celebrity” musician. He was just starting at Q107 and is a nice guy. However, he is a poseur. Strikes me as the prototypical guy with low self esteem who goes over-the-top to try and sound like the real deal.

He is not without talent and, like I said, seems to be a very nice guy. Hope he now grows up if this is an opportunity for him to get back into major market radio.

Tom
Tom
June 18, 2011 6:49 pm

McGuire – will not miss him.
Vendetta – seems knowledgeable but his constant name dropping and mentioning he works for Live Nation is terrible.

Carl
Carl
June 19, 2011 11:22 am

I like your blog and Tweets.

Here is a constructive tip. You use the word “then” instead of the proper word “than”. For example:

“Here is another great example of voice vs. content. I am not sure there are too many better at what they do THEN McGuire.” There are other examples in the article.

Take care.

Steve-O
June 20, 2011 10:42 am

Looks like I’m in the minority here, but I really like McGuire as both a personality and an analyst. He’s enthusiastic, knowledgeable and has good chemistry with the play by play guys. To me, he is the gold standard of analysts.

Don Mandrie
Don Mandrie
June 20, 2011 11:18 am

McGuire has already spoken publicly about his move to NBC when he was on last week with Melnick in Montreal. He admitted he was gone but was trying to work things out so he could continue to do some work for TSN.

McGuire was in in the running for GM jobs in Calgary (Craig Button), Minnesota (Check Fletcher) & Tampa Bay (Yzerman) but not Montreal. The Canadiens did not interview for the job.

The guy is the best at what he does and still young enough to become an NHL GM, which will likely happen down the road.

Who replaces him at TSN? How about Mark Rechi?

BTW, I remember McGuire telling Melnick that he would have been the GM here in Toronto if Scotty Bowman had become President. But Leafs were not ready to fire John Ferguson Jr. The coaches would have been Igor Larionov & Craig Ramsey.

June 20, 2011 12:48 pm

If McGuire leaves I wonder who TSN will get to replace him?………….they already have Ferraro but they will need someone else and I don’t think they have anyone good enough in their current stable of analysts

I agree with those who say that they prefer McGuire’s radio segments over his television work………on TV he is a bit too loud and “over the top” for me (sound effects, choosing a “Monster” each game, etc)………..on radio he is more low key and provides pretty good analysis

Tabber
Tabber
June 20, 2011 1:35 pm

Too bad it’s not the strained voice of Ferraro going south, I’d rther hear Pierre than someone straining to be heard, but I guess I’m in the minority – does no-one else notice that voice needing to lubricate the throat?