Leafs Appoint Two New Assistant Coaches

If you haven’t heard the news….

The Toronto Maple Leafs have relieved Keith Acton and Tim Hunter of their assistant coaching duties.  Rob Zettler remains with the team.  Added to the staff are: Scott Gordon and Greg Cronin.

For the full press release, click here.

Will this have a positive impact?

LT

June 20, 2011 3:04 pm

why didn’t they do this back in November, when it mattered?

/miss you, sort’ve, Howard.

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
June 20, 2011 3:19 pm

The timing is odd, but something had to happen. The Special teams play the last couple of years was horrible, and show no signs of improving.

Acton and Hunter taking thw sword for the teams lousy season?

Leafs now have almost the whole US Olympic coaching staff.

June 20, 2011 3:47 pm

while we’re Leaf-talking in June, what did people think of Burke’s quotes about Colin Campbell from Monday’s G&M piece?

He dismisses the critics as “people who don’t understand the game and particularly don’t understand the role of supplementary discipline.”

“The GMs are not troubled by that,” Burke said. “What the public sees as inconsistent, we believe there is consistency and predictability”

“Do you not think, as a group, us general managers do not have enough clout that we could get [Campbell] replaced if we thought he was dropping the ball?” Burke said. “We believe in this guy.”

Burke is a pretty articulate guy, but these comments are poorly argued, and somewhat out of character for him. Perhaps TSM can ring BB’s Blackberry and ask him what the role of supplementary discipline is, since as a member of the public I’m too dim to figure it out for myself. It’s clearly not deterrence, so what is it?

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
June 20, 2011 4:36 pm

Acton was just a “mole” with a pipeline to upper management whom was not needed anymore.How else can anyone be an assistant coach for 12 years, while missing the playoffs 60% of the time?

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
June 20, 2011 6:32 pm

@sam scarb, interesting same timeline as Richard Peddie as President. Except Richard is adamant he is retiring and not being pushed out, with that same winning record as Acton, not counting the Raptors numerous issues.

lt67
lt67
June 20, 2011 7:31 pm

So…I don’t know enough about the departed or the guys they are bringing in. What does impress me is that I always worried that Burke would be too loyal to his buddy Ron. Well, I’d argue that Ron should have been the guy to go but…. Publicly taking the decision on the assistants out of Ron’s hand and not extending his contract are bold moves that show Burke will do what he needs to do…even though Wilson is his buddy. It’s totally embarrassing to Wilson that Burke made the decision….that’s a shot across the bow.

Manny
Manny
June 20, 2011 11:52 pm

I could understand the need for new assistant coaches but maybe the Leafs jumped the gun a little to quick because after the hiring of Gordon and Cronin, the best assistant coach on the market in Craig Ramsey became available.

Drumanchor
Drumanchor
June 21, 2011 12:05 am

@Lt67

I like your points — to me they are quite accurate.

For some time, now, it appears that Wilson is being told to win or else. Burke has publicly expressed support and satisfaction with is coach but one gets the impression that behind closed doors, he has been given a strict ultimatum.

As he should. This could very well be his last chance to coach in the NHL. Time to put up or shut up and show he is worth his contract and, at the very least, worth employing — for any team.

I know I’m a fan, but I like these moves. Of course, time will tell but … you know….Go Leafs.

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
June 21, 2011 4:43 am

@TSM Mole? I am not buying that. He survived multiple GM’s.
Multiple Gm,s and coaches but one common “upper management” Richard Peddie !!

Roger
Roger
June 21, 2011 8:39 am

I agree with Sam. What other assistant coach in pro sports has survived several coaches and GMs? Not just that but as Sam stated, they’ve been mostly losing teams. Thank God, he’s finally gone.