Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

Here’s are your drive home lineups

On Fan 590 Tonight-

James Duthie – NHL on TSN

Dwayne Casey – Head Coach, Toronto Raptors

Bob McKenzie – NHL Hockey Insider

Scott Gordon – Assistant Coach, Toronto Maple Leafs

DeMar DeRozan – Toronto Raptors

On 640 with Jim Ralph and Bill Watters thanks to Mike S.:

5:05 – Greg Cronin (Toronto Maple Leafs Assistant Coach)

5:45 – Tony Jackson (ESPN Los Angeles)

6:05 – Ken Wiebe (Winnipeg Sun)

6:25 – Dwane Casey (Toronto Raptors Head Coach)

June 21, 2011 7:09 pm

I believe Friday is the one year anniversary of the 590 housecleaning by Kaptain Kollins………….ever since then it certainly has been a crazy time for sports radio in this city, probably the most volatile 12 month period ever

It’s great to have this website to get TSM’s news & views and to read other people’s opinions

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
June 22, 2011 8:48 am

Is it just me, or does anyone else think Bob Elliott sounds like he is half in the bag when he is on the air?

Craig
Craig
June 22, 2011 9:21 am

@Al From Burlington – Yes. Although I will say that Elliott came across as somewhat more coherent during Tuesday’s PTS segment. His recent PTS appearances had me worried he was suffering from some form of dementia. I enjoy reading Elliott. The radio thing – not so much.

Roger
Roger
June 22, 2011 9:32 am

Elliott does sound drunk – I’m guessing he is. He’s one of McCown’s cronies and is only on the radio because he did Bob some favour in the past. I just wish they would keep the talk about the Jays to a minimum. What’s the average attendance for a Jay’s game?

And of course he always has his house boy Anthopolous on to give us his usual BS about the team. They will be lucky to get 85 wins this year.

Rome
Rome
June 22, 2011 1:03 pm

I heard the beginning of Mustaine interview, then kind of tunned out, but came back and heard there was some awkwardness during the interview. Anybody know what happened

Speaking of Jays, Wilner was in normally poor form. This weekend he went on and on about how that National League is a joke because pitchers hitting are pointless, and literally the next day on Monday we had a pitcher hitting a homer to win the game for his team. I swear whatever Wilner says take the opposite.

Ron
Ron
June 22, 2011 4:35 pm

I would agree with Roger, there’s just way too much Jays talk these days. It seems like everyday either the GM is on, or Elliott, or somebody talking Jays. Obviously, given that they’re both owned by Rogers, its natural that The Fan will do a lot on the Jays, but lately it seems like a lot. I remember on the Friday roundtable they started talking Jays in the 1st hour, and you could hear Damien kinda groan…like why have a bunch of hockey guys on and talk Jays?

On another note, can’t believe Brunt is gonna be gone for the next month at the women’s world cup. Like, really? Women’s world cup? And meanwhile Cox is at Wimbledon. Seems like, despite the TV ads, that Cox and Brunt are away more than they’re on, or is it just me?

June 22, 2011 5:34 pm

Ron – would you rather them talk all hockey in late June, July and August? 640 does that, and sorry, but it is not listenable (unless you’re a SERIOUSLY hardcore fan I guess).

Look back through the lineups. 1 Jays segment (plus MAYBE one other baseball segment) per 3 hour show in the summer doesn’t seem like ‘way too much’ to me. Seems pretty appropriate.

June 22, 2011 5:42 pm

Roger – Um, yeah. They would be lucky to get 85 wins this year. Is that meant to be a shot? The team is rebuilding.

Attendance is pretty lacklustre yeah. 24th in MLB. But according the this site and others the TV and radio ratings are excellent, so there are plenty of interested ears.

(Yes. Cue Mike S pointing out that I mention Jays ratings all the time. I get it. I realize I point that out a lot).

Anyway, I don’t know what you guys are complaining about even if you hate baseball. Of all the sports radio in the city basically only Blair and McCown talk Jays in depth and with any kind of regularity. There’s tons of options to hear other topics if you don’t like it.

Steve (in Hamilton)
Steve (in Hamilton)
June 22, 2011 6:49 pm

Roger, calling someone a “house boy” is one way to make someone ignore your points – unless you were attempting to make a “smackdown,” but I don’t know how many people here view such sarcasm with enthusiasm. I don’t.

I think Elliot is just getting older; to suggest he is drunk is rather cheap.

And, just to add my two cents, Rome, I am a huge fan of Wilner. I understand that a lot of people dislike him for a lot of reasons, so I just want to add that I find him very entertaining.

(A lot of people say he is rude, but I think that he is usually extremely nice with callers; however, once people get the impression of snobbery, then that accusation is often hard to shake, especially when the person clearly likes the English language and enjoys playing with it.)

Bob
Bob
June 22, 2011 9:04 pm

To Roger! You are being optimistic thinking Jay’s will get 85 wins. At the first of the season I thought 77 or 78. and now I’m thinking that those numbers may be high.
To suggest that Elliot is drunk is pretty cheap, but even if he was he is still more informed in baseball than the rest of the Toronto Media.
To Daniel If you think attendance at Jay’s game is bleak, how about the atmosphere! I refuse to go to that venue for any reason, even if the Tigers are playing. I do have a question! If I did go to a game would I get a Ticket or a Toe Tag?
To Steve ( in Hamilton) thinking that Wilner is anywhere near knowledgeable about this game of baseball is living a fantasy! I always laugh when a caller is right and Wilner is wrong, he has no answer other to say ( ” I have to go to another caller” )
I spent the weekend in Erie watching the Sea Wolves play New Hampshier (Toronto’s AA Team) for three games and I saw 2 position players who may have a chance to be productive Major Leaguers but not stars. Didn’t see any pitchers but then again I didn’t see them all! So don’t let AA overhype you!

JasonTO
JasonTO
June 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Rome,

How does Hudson’s home run at all negate Wilner’s point? It’s the predominance of knee-jerk thinking like this that necessitates the presence of a cool-headed, even-keel on-air personality like Wilner. God knows someone has to counter the lunacy.

Ron,

Yes, really. The Women’s World Cup.

Anything else to add?

Roger
Roger
June 23, 2011 11:33 am

TSM,

I believe Alex A. is still learning the ropes. I know most Jasys’ fans hated JP but his replacement hasn’t been much of an improvement.

Then again, we haven’t had a real GM since Gillick left.

lt67
lt67
June 23, 2011 12:11 pm

@Roger…Like you said; Alex A is still learning the ropes perhaps…So not sure it’s appropriate to suggest he’s not much of an improvement. From all accounts, the organization was neglected by the previous regime so AA has had a lot of rebuilding to do. He seems to be acquiring a lot of young talent and shed some bad contracts (Wells?)…So, give this guy some time….this young team might look pretty good in a couple of years.

Rome
Rome
June 23, 2011 2:56 pm

Can somebody please explain to me this “replace a poor/expensive contract” comments. Why on earth as fans should we care if a contract is expensive or not in a non-salery cap league. Unless somebody is traded for prosecpts (who should be ready in the next couple of seasons, at least) or to make room for somebody who is ready to be come and take that position. Loser teams/fans always seem to have the personality of “salary dumps” yet quality teams always seem to be talking about “How do we make our team better”. Saying that Wells is having a horrible season, so it’s probably a “push” either way.

As for Anthopolus, I’d put him down as a “push” also. I don’t think he should be fired but I don’t think he should be given the keys for the next decade without thought (like that horrible Elliott article last month about giving him a contract extension, at the same time never mentioning when his contract is up) Escabar was a winner. Other than that, a bunch of maybes. Even Morrow for League was considered a win, now looking not as good as League is doing pretty well being the Seattle closer with 20 saves, as we are still having the never ending search for a closer that isn’t horrible.

Love 67 last sentnece, it should be the motto of every local team. “Being pretty good in a couple of season” Our mascot should have a hat with a stick sticking in front of it, with a carrot on a string on the end of it, and just have the mascot run around chasing it, seriously he’s going to catch that carrot, just wait for it, it’s going to be great!

Steve/Jason, I actually find Wilner to be entertaining as well. I always want my share of Jays Talk, he’ like the only host that gets on my nerves, but for some reason i still enjoy listening to him. But my comment on the pitcher/hitter thing is that he talks in such absolutes. People who like the NL, he says it’s boring, pitchers don’t contribute, I just find it totally fitting the next day the ATL pitcher hits a winning HR. Or when he disses a caller for suggesting Drebek to be send to Vegas, and the next day it happens. I’ve never seen a guy who is so sure of himself, but yet constantly wrong what’s going to happen.

lt67
lt67
June 23, 2011 3:01 pm

@Rome…LoL….I get that we’ve been in the same state with all teams for many years…and that does suck for the fan. However, my point is simply that you can’t put that on AA (at least not yet anyway). If he fails like those that went before him then yes, he gets the gold watch and “I failed” T-shirt….I’d present it to him myself….

June 23, 2011 3:51 pm

Rome – I hear what you’re saying about Wells.

But with Wells being the highest paid outfielder in the game, he’s going to have to play everyday. While he’s probably still capable of having an OK season, right now he’s absolutely awful. So the Jays get out of having to play that (sometimes negative value) bat in the lineup everyday.

I think the other idea is that it allows the Jays to spend that money in other places. I know, it’s not a cap league, so who cares? BUT that contract was SO huge (20+ mil a year the next three years) it should be a big net positive for the Jays provided they reallocate the money and do it wisely.

If the Jays don’t allocate the Wells money, then yeah, it’s a push. But judging by their aggressive drafting and the Bautista signing, I think they will.