Andrew Krystal Dismissed From Sportsnet Fan 590

The Andrew Krystal experiment at Sportsnet’s the Fan 590 has ended less than a year after it started. “Andrew is moving on to pursue other opportunities within Rogers and we wish him the very best” said Program Director Don Kollins. “A job posting will go up tomorrow for Andrew’s replacement” added Kollins. Although he didn’t say, I expect a summer of the Rog and co to fill in.

Krystal’s run in Toronto, his second, has been rocky from the get go. He is in his 3rd time slot since coming last July. Originally Krystal was slated in the old Bullpen slot, currently held by Jeff Blair. A few months after failing to find an audience in post morning drive and the Fan’s inability to lure a morning alternative, Krystal moved to mornings. Krystal struggled in that morning slot as well, first acting solo and then a failed attempt at co-hosted show with Jeremy Roenick and then later Greg Brady.

The morning gig only lasted 5 months and Krystal was pulled off of mornings in February. He returned to take the old Greg Brady slot (which became vaccant after Brady moved to mornings with Jim Lang), after hockey central to lead in to his buddy Bob McCown’s Prime Time Sports. Krystal was head to head with the only syndicated out of town day time show over at TSN Radio, The Dan Patrick show, the only show that showed a ratings competition with the Fan. It spoke volumes about Krystal’s inability to maintain an audience, given that Patrick is based in the USA and speaks 99% of the time about sports not played on ice.

I said this from the beginning, I don’t blame Andrew Krystal for this failure at the Fan 590. Krystal is a really bright guy, who knows talk radio. He never should have been put on an all sports radio station. He was set up to fail. Right from the beginning you could tell that he was a proverbial fish out of water. His questions and comments to those “in the game” only went so deep and it made for poor sports radio. He was at his best when he talked public issues, politics etc that crossed into the sports realm.

I can’t see Krystal on another currently owned Rogers station in Toronto. I can’t see him doing sports TV either. Where that lands him I have no idea. Personally, if I were running 640 Toronto I would grab him and put him up against McCown and Tory. I think he would do well there.

So, a little less than a year after Andrew Krystal returned to Toronto, the plug has been pulled. Let’s hope he resurfaces in a format more suitable to his immense talents.

Raptors Devotee
June 22, 2011 9:11 pm

I have been writing in the comments section every month on the survey I receive to fire him. Glad that my input, along with others, and the horrific ratings, showed how inevitable this day had to be. In this business we all know you are hired to be fired, but with Krystal why the hell did it take so long?

I just don’t see him working out in a non-sports environment either. You do, I don’t.

Steve (in Hamilton)
Steve (in Hamilton)
June 22, 2011 9:14 pm

Last year I was driving and listening to Krystal’s first show – I was turned off when he tried to make a splash by hanging up on McLean. Later, he lost me more when Mary Ormsby had to hang up on him because he went on a juvenile and sexist rant about the shape of Ines Sainz’s rear-end and how female reporters should dress.

He had moments when I found him funny, but the bar had been moved far so low that I wouldn’t consider this a compliment.

That having been said, I saw him on the Michael Coren show back in the fall and enjoyed what he had to say. Maybe he would be better on a news show, but I don’t listen to AM news.

Marsh
Marsh
June 22, 2011 9:17 pm

I guess the money was just too enticing for him and he left Halifax; guess he should have stayed. He was ok the few times I listened to the afternoon show; nothing spectacular but acceptable. It was uncomfortable the way he fawned over McCowan when he visited after 3 PM.

I too hopes he finds a spot suitable for his talents.

Jose
Jose
June 22, 2011 9:24 pm

Good for you…

lagerandale
lagerandale
June 22, 2011 9:26 pm

Can’t argue with that move. Just watching the nhl awards. What a trainwreck.

dsscpu
dsscpu
June 22, 2011 9:33 pm

A total missed opportunity by TSN Radio to build an audience that was anti-Krystal. Now Fan 590 has a chance to wipe the slate clean. They could also consider moving Blair from 9-noon to 1pm-4pm. Having Blair followed by McCown would be a solid 1-2 punch.

Marsh
Marsh
June 22, 2011 9:42 pm

As I’ve said before: Give it back to Gord Stellick; that was his old 1 -4 spot; most enjoyable.

Chris
Chris
June 22, 2011 9:44 pm

Is the fact that Gord Stellick already on for the 12-1 show right now any indication he may get his old time slot back?

Tom
Tom
June 22, 2011 10:15 pm

It will indeed be ‘The Summer of The Rog’ lol. Anyone who gives himself a nickname….that says it all. Although if they decide not to use him, he still has his full-time gig as a hair model for Playmobil.

June 22, 2011 10:28 pm

This was inevitable…………the Krystal experiment was doomed from the start………..and if he was one of the guys who got a 3 year contract from Kollins then it was a very expensive experiment

It would be pretty interesting if 590 asks Stellick to be the full time afternoon host almost a year to the day after they told him his services were no longer required

Raptors Devotee
June 22, 2011 10:34 pm

Stellick is a great choice, this way I can go back and forth between Patrick and Stellick for the local coverage. With Krystal I never even saw 590, and stuck with him the whole show.

June 22, 2011 10:47 pm

nice break down TSM. i think most people here were willing to give Krystal a shot but the shtick was too forced, and the sports knowledge was too shallow. he belongs on a news/talk station in a mid-sized market. this was no doubt a costly mistake by Kollins.

i wonder what the fall line-up will look like at both TSN and FAN590. the morning shows are what they are, and i like the Hayes v. Blair match-up, whether it’s mid-morning or mid afternoon. It will be interesting to see if Cybulski keeps his drive time slot or whether he is shifted elsewhere so that Landsberg or Hodge can go head to head with PTS.

regardless of what happens in the fall, it will no doubt be the summer of Rog at the FAN, with a heaping steaming helping of the Deacon mixed in. maybe they can bring Lumby back too.

Justin
Justin
June 22, 2011 10:57 pm

My guess is that Andrew Krystal was brought in to be a non-sports guy – talk about politics, business, etc. I think the FAN had the idea of being a general entertainment station with an emphasis on sports.

Krystal failed for two reasons.

1. Once FAN got wind of TSN radio, I think it made them rethink their strategy. So Krystal immediately became less valuable. His supposed strength was his ability to talk about general interest topics.

2. Krystal was simply terrible. Two of the things that irritated me the most was that he would constantly interrupt guests, and try extra hard to be controversial but in the end sounding like a bit of a goof.

I won’t miss him.

Kev
Kev
June 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Ya good job, think sites like this showed kollins how all real fan590 listeners felt about krystal from the start, the cutting off people and bragging about going to dinner parties at Mckeowns house, weak. I listened a bit in the afternoon and his lack of knowledge on sports wasnt as exposed as he could talk more politics.

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
June 22, 2011 11:24 pm

How in the world can aka don kollins still have employment ? How much money has he cost rogers?

Tom
Tom
June 22, 2011 11:53 pm

No….not the Deacon! Anything but the Deacon. Krystal!! Come back!!!

Dave
Dave
June 23, 2011 12:20 am

come september i think TSN 1050 will look like this

6am – Mike Richards show

10am – Cybulski and Company (yup i think he’s not gonna last at 4pm)

12pm – Hockey 2 Day

1pm – Brian Hayes Show

4pm – the drive home with Darren Dutchyshen

if anyone listened to the Dutch last week filling in for Brian Hayes he’s the answer to the Bobcat.

and to make a perdiction in a year or less TSN will pass 590 for #1 Sports radio network in Canada

Chris F.
Chris F.
June 23, 2011 12:31 am

I can’t say this was a surprise as Krystal didn’t have much sports knowledge and would bludgeon the listener with Leafs talk to the exclusion of everything else. Oh and don’t get me started on some of the inane and utterly stupid things he did such as the really crude comments about women in sports etc etc.

I say give the 1-4 spot back to Stellick and make it quick! I don’t want to be subjected to the Deacon or the Rog for the summer.

Tom
Tom
June 23, 2011 1:25 am

Dave: hate to tell you but that lineup will get destroyed by the FAN if they solidify the afternoon.

Agree with TSM, Krystal is a good broadcaster but this combo could never work. Sports fans are too smart to be fooled by someone who doesnt know anything about sports.

(Another) Andrew
(Another) Andrew
June 23, 2011 1:37 am

with a heaping steaming helping of the Deacon mixed in.

LOL

I’d forgotten all about him. But now that you’ve reminded me he does always seem to hit the airwaves as soon as summer begins. It’s as if he has a summer job at the Fan every year.

I’ll give the Deacon one thing though. He can and does talk about sports outside of the North American Big 4 – when he’s not talking about himself that is. Lately I’ve been turning the radio off every time I hear hockey mentioned. Some soccer and tennis talk would be nice once in a while. (And when I say tennis I don’t mean McCown talking about the colour of Tim Tebbutt’s socks or the grass at Wimbledon then claiming it’s a tennis segment).

chris G
chris G
June 23, 2011 2:03 am

I’m going to call it and say that Micheal Grange takes over in some sort of fashion. Couldn’t have signed him for nothing.

June 23, 2011 2:57 am

First off – way to go TSM. I don’t see this news anywhere else. I genuinely think you have become the definitive Toronto sports media voice. Pretty damn impressive since (as far I know) you do this as a hobby, and not as a ‘job’.

As for Krystal – I totally agree with you. He is a good host, but was never right for sports radio. As I’ve mentioned a few times, I listened to him a bit in Halifax last year. I genuinely thought he was very good. Original topics, thoughtful discussion.

The guy I heard on The Fan was never like that. He never seemed comfortable enough in his sports knowledge so he was constantly on the defensive. Making inane arguments to disguise from the fact that he really doesn’t have enough sports knowledge to host a show on The Fan.

If they went to the trouble of hiring him, they should have just let him do a mostly news/entertainment show like Neil Rogers did on WQAM in Miami.

640 would be a great option. Or – if 680 ever interrupted their always news to do a current affairs show, I think Andrew could be a good choice.

As for his replacement – it certainly seems like Stellick will be involved in some way. They’ve been stringing him along for some time now.

I wouldn’t mind, say, Stellick from 12 – 2, and a new 2 – 4 show.. Maybe just me, but I prefer hearing Kypreos and Maclean as instudio guests on other shows rather than as hosts of their own show. I prefer shows built around the hosts’ personalities rather than specific sports.

Either way, I feel bad for Krystal, but this was a good move by The Fan. It just wasn’t a right fit.

June 23, 2011 3:00 am

Dave – I don’t want to sound like a Fan booster (I really don’t care who does better, I just know what I prefer)..

But people have been saying stuff like ‘TSN is going to destroy The Fan’ since before the launch, and the first couple TSN books haven’t come remotely close to The Fan. TSN is not getting many people tuning in at the moment.

I’m not saying that TSN will never be competitive with The Fan, but if they do I get the sense that it’s going to take a while to get there.

June 23, 2011 3:11 am

Also – for Gods sake, don’t have Stellick do 12 – 1 every day this summer with Lajoie/Lumby/Deacon doing 1 – 4.

Just let Stellick do 12 – 4. At least for now.

mario
mario
June 23, 2011 4:45 am

Too bad..always hate to see someone loose thier job,but his time has come…and hope he lands on his feet.. as for a replacement have to say please no more Rog… even for the short term… I am all for Stellick with a co host.. Eric Smith always thought he did a good job knowageable and opinions on a varity of sports….

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
June 23, 2011 7:05 am

I had July 1st in the pool….oh soo close!!!!
kollins can’t get nothing right!!

Al from Burlington
Al from Burlington
June 23, 2011 8:23 am

Look, I was not a Krystal fan, so I just did not listen to him, so I am not going to slag the guy. It sucks to see anyone lose their gig in this econmy, and I hope he lands on his feet, in a talk show program where he will succeed.

I agree with others who have said give the slot to Stellick for the summer. If they go back to Roger and Deacon, how can this not be worse than what they had in Krystal?

sully
sully
June 23, 2011 8:24 am

Once 640 doesn’t renew the contract for all things Leafs, maybe Krystal could do the afternoon drive show, concentrating on the stuff he knows, politics. pop culture etc. I can’t imagine anyone is listening to the Watters wind-bag sports show on currently.

June 23, 2011 8:38 am

Krystal is going to be getting 2+ years of free money “in this economy”, so I think he’ll survive.

To those who want Stellick back:can you explain what you like about him? I remember the Big Show, and it was ok, but fairly generic in my opinion. The morning show was painful. Outside of Leafs talk, what would a 3 hour Big Show 2.0 show bring to the table?

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
June 23, 2011 8:48 am

The right decision by Pelley has been made. It is a joke to think Kollins even has a role at the Fan anymore. The only segment of the show that struggled with ratings will now get madeover. As many have said, if indeed Stellick does get the slot that would have to be the final straw in Kollins Drink. You can’t keep a guy who blew up the station a year ago, brought in his highest paid recruit who failed miserably and then have him replaced by a guy who he canned.

The fact Bobcat only refers to Pelley and Moore now as it relates to the Fan is a clear indicator Kollins is just an employee and no longer a program director. Millman must be shaking his head watching what happened after his departure.

Krystal I am sure got quite a package and will have plenty of time to find a market that suits him.

If we get Rog and Deacon all summer that will be a huge Eff up on Fans part, I will listen to ADLER before Raj and Deacon.

Justin
Justin
June 23, 2011 9:35 am

Maybe I’ve listened for too long, but please, no:

1. Roger LaJoie
2. Doug Farraway
3. Gord Stellick

They need a fresh voice.

headsup
headsup
June 23, 2011 11:32 am

I always hate to see a person get fired from his/her job. That being said, I’m sure that Krystal’s package will keep him from eating out of the dumpster at Arby’s. He’s not a sportstalk guy, but a good news/general interest guy. I’m not sure why Kollins did this in the first place – I mean you don’t hire a clown to fix a leak in the john, so why hire a current affairs guy to talk sports?
Like some people here, I have a soft spot in my heart for Stellick (I can’t explain it, he’s just an easy-to-like person). I dread the Roger/Deacon combo for the summer. Maybe Joey Vendetta gets more air time. I realize that some people can’t stand him, but Wilner would be another good summer alternative hosting a baseball central show from noon-1 or noon-2, and have Stellick take over from 2-4. I don’t think that would work on a perminant basis, but it would be better summer filler than the usual b-listers.

dsscpu
dsscpu
June 23, 2011 11:36 am

I may not be a Kollins guy but for those saying he is redundant at CJCL, you do realize that outside of making decisions as to who is on-air, there are MANY other tasks a PD has to take care of. So while Thing 1 and Thing 2 may now be pulling the strings as to who they hear on the radio as they drive around the GTA, Kollins is still handling the rest of the day-to-day operations.

KBM
KBM
June 23, 2011 11:38 am

Not to pile on, but Krystal was little more than a bomb thrower, pinging from topic to topic looking for controversy.

I found it shallow, pandering and often embarrassing …

SteverR
SteverR
June 23, 2011 12:05 pm

TSN will be #1 with that lineup? That’s just delusional. Fact is no matter what happens no one will close the gap on McCowan. He’s just too unique and has best in class guests. TSN just needs to not be a reincarnation of The Team. From there maybe they can grow into something.

Rome
Rome
June 23, 2011 12:25 pm

I thought something was up when I went by the other day and I heard a caller really “pumping Krystal tires” (thanks Luongo) but not the normal “Hey fan of yours”. But what sounds like a contrived over-the-top comments like how great he is on being different, it sounded so much like friends calling up to promote him. Reminded me a lot when he got in hot water with some women comments and out of the blue half a dozen women call up IN A ROW, saying they agree with him. When is the last time half a dozen women called up in a week let alone in a row. It was obvious he had these women planned to call in for support. It sounded very similar to what was going on recently.

This had to be right up there as the biggest flops in local radio in at least recent times. Krystal was promoted really strong, got the morning show gig. got the stations “king maker” in Bob McCown being on his side. Having Krystal regularly on PTS first hour and Mccown even making the effort to be on Krystal morning show on a regular bases. I don’t think he’s done that since the Marsden days. Even with that this morning show lasted just a handful of months.

I know some say it’s poor form to applaud somebody getting fired, but look at it like this. Everybody who gets hired, has to come from a result somebody getting fired (or retired) the only other option is we just pile on a dozen co-hosts for every show. Krystal looked like he got more than a chance to succeed (IMO had to do with who his friends are in the company) The last ratings that came in had to be the last straw, I don’t remember a single show drop so much compared to everything else. That couldn’t be ignored. It just showed it doesn’t matter who gives you “the rub” if an audience rejects you. Any amount of cross-promotion won’t help.

I always wonder who looks worse in this, Kollins, Krystal or the people of Halifax who made this guy a ratings hit there lol. I guess I will give Halifaxers a break because, people who I respect their opinion here said he was actually good in that venue. Whoever made the decisoin to cut their loses should be applauded, I found the previous PD stayed way to loyal to personalities that got very style. I respect somebody who can see what’s not working and make a change even if it might ruffle a few feathers.

Wes
June 23, 2011 12:58 pm

This guy was arrogant, insulting, and demeaning to fans. I had placed multiple calls and emails to Rogers and included examples. I can only hope they helped in this decision.

June 23, 2011 1:42 pm

The sched for the rest of the week is: 12-2 Gord Stellick Show, 2-4 Eric Smith Show.

Wayne Frazer
June 23, 2011 1:57 pm

It’s about freaking time — I had no choice but to listen to Dan Patrick in the afternoon because Krystal was painful. Not funny, not versed in sports, not anything but an occasional prick.

It’s too late to bring back Mike Hogan now that he’s landed at TSN, but I’d be fine with Gord or The Rog.

Paul
Paul
June 23, 2011 2:09 pm

I for one simply cannot stand Brady & Lang (aka Dumb & Dumber) in the mornings. To me it is a mystery how strong their ratings are compared to Richards. If by the fall Richards gains a much higher percentage, then my question would be how long before Kollins is asked to leave?

Tony in Michigan
Tony in Michigan
June 23, 2011 2:23 pm

Great blog. Hardcore internet listener of the fan 590 and big Leafs and Jays fan.
Lukewarm on Krystal.
Off the topic slightly, what is Don Landry up to these days?

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
June 23, 2011 2:32 pm

Well, over 40 comments on this blog and not one positive about krystal ( i am sure to be corrected if i am wrong)
The fan is still a disaster, fire Stellick,Rumak,Hogan..
THEN RE-HIRE Stellick,Rumak
Change the time of their prime show.. (MONEY MAKER)3-7 then change back in 4 months..
Oh i forgot welcome back Eric Smith
Put a guy in 9-12 with turrets and more of a pause then A Sir Charles Barkley back swing with NO RADIO SAVEY …
I am just guessing whom is next to go??

Bob
Bob
June 23, 2011 2:34 pm

Rogers is launching a CP24 clone in Toronto so if Krystal is under contract, they might put him there.

Terry Starr
Terry Starr
June 23, 2011 2:42 pm

I enjoy a lot of The Fan guys, but this is really a brutal business. I read the slagging and insults on this board and shake my head…how would you like your work ripped like that in a public forum? I wonder what some of you do for a living that makes you media critics. Krystal wasn’t my cup of tea, so I just didn’t listen I’m not going to rip the guy. And I like guys like Deacon and The Rog and Gord – they’ve worked in the business for decades, obviously their bosses like them too.

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
June 23, 2011 2:47 pm

@Bob..If true krystal..other opportunities at rogers (AKA ROBBERS) maybe..North Bay. Timmins, Dog River Sask. (sorry to slight all those places,when they stick krystal in there..some bright good radio person will be unemployed..very sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

George
George
June 23, 2011 3:02 pm

having wilner do a one hour from 12-1 and stellick host from 2-4 would be a great idea for the summer
wilner used to host “baseball today” that ran from 12-1 a couple summers back and he was solid
krystal just wasn’t a right fit…always looking for controversies and cutting people off

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
June 23, 2011 3:24 pm

HHumm gonha flip on PTS at 4PM
To hear the Bobcat say good things about (His GOOD BUDDY krystal)………………
????????????????

June 23, 2011 3:46 pm

Sam – There’s been a perception that Kollins has done a terrible job, but The Fan’s ratings have improved quite a bit from the end of the Millman era. In the last book every show was doing well except for Krystal.

I don’t think there will be a ‘next to go’ in the near future.

June 23, 2011 4:58 pm

Terry Starr Says…: I wonder what some of you do for a living that makes you media critics.

we’re listeners.

dsscpu
dsscpu
June 23, 2011 5:06 pm

Agreed with Mike. We listen and have are opinions. We just choose to voice them.

As for the above poster who said they disliked Brady, he is the one outside hire that I really do enjoy, BUT I think his talents held better as a midday 1-4pm host than a morning guy. He is only doing mornings out of necessity.

oldsalty
oldsalty
June 23, 2011 5:08 pm

How to program a key slot in one of North America’s top sports stations: put up a “job posting”. Really?!

sully
sully
June 23, 2011 5:54 pm

Never mind the Fan… does ANYbody listen to the new TSN1050 sports thing? I was interested when I heard their initial lineup would include Jim Rome, but when that didn’t happen, I haven’t listened, and I haven’t heard anything about it. Talk about an underwhelming debut.

krystalhater
krystalhater
June 23, 2011 6:21 pm

this is good news to me…krystal was a joke…hated him from the start and any talk radio station that picks him up will be a joke too!!!!

DanThe Man
DanThe Man
June 23, 2011 8:03 pm

Good riddence Krystal, what a joke you are Mr Kollins. Brady & Lang are 2 annoying tools with microphones, can’t stand and don’t listen to the FAN’s morning show. And the next media personality ROBBERS should get rid of is their absolutely horrible color man on Leafs Sportsnet broadcast’s Greg Millen.

Chris A.
Chris A.
June 23, 2011 9:16 pm

Truly fantastic news!

My only fear is that given Krystal’s utter lack of talent as a broadcaster, his quest to “explore other options with Rogers” will mean that the next time my cable is on the fritz they will send this jack-ass to my door to fix it.

Chubby
Chubby
June 23, 2011 9:28 pm

I liked him

Alex
Alex
June 24, 2011 12:23 am

Say what you will about Andrew Krystal, he was a much, much better morning man (particularly with Roenick) than the Stellick/Landry combo that he replaced. That was truly painful to listen to. It felt like Landry was just mailing it in the last couple of months.

Capn2patch
Capn2patch
June 24, 2011 12:39 am

Haven’t read the comments, I’m sure there’s a lot of good stuff.

Can’t say that I’m sorry to see him go.

Jon
Jon
June 24, 2011 8:37 am

This is a sad day. Finally someone with true intelligence enters the mundane world of sports media, and TO dismisses. His edgy style, abililty to look past X’s and O’s, and place sport news in a real world context was refreshing. Andrew Krystal made me return to sports radio, with him it wasn’t just the same old storey day in day out. So back to the predictable you love so much TO!
Andrew Krystal should be doing something that matters more anway. So long FAN 590!

DanTheMan
DanTheMan
June 24, 2011 8:53 am

Are the June ratings out yet i would really like to know which shows on the FAN are actually doing better than the old ones?

If you want an upgraded color man on Leafs Sportsnet broadcasts than the atrociously awful Greg Millen here’s the contacts @ ROBBERS to email. Like in the case of getting rid of Krystal they obviously listen and Greg Millen needs to go…

[email protected]

[email protected]

Jonathan
Jonathan
June 24, 2011 5:16 pm

I thought he was let go because he was such an a**hole on air! (I still remember the caller who phoned and managed to call him that over the air, before it could be bleeped! Made me laugh.) I’ve thought so ever since he ticked off Mary Ormsby in an interview last fall. Or maybe it was because he was such an a**hole on air that he couldn’t get an audience. Toma-to, to-mato… And yes, Dan Patrick was much better to listen to (plus giving us a break from the 24/7 hockey chatter.) It’s nice to hear Gord Stellick back on in his place for the afternoons.

Steve
Steve
June 24, 2011 10:05 pm

@ DanTheMan. Greg “and I mean” Millen is employed by MLSE, not Rogers.

Dwayne R.
Dwayne R.
June 24, 2011 11:47 pm

I enjoyed Krystal more than any of the other mundane, borimgly impartial, afraid to be interesting, sane old same old pablum that most of you seem to thrive on. I was disappointed when I heard Stellick back on afternoons. Nice guy (Gord), but not particularly interesting. You wanted lame radio Toronto..now you got it…YAWN

Bob from Burlington
Bob from Burlington
June 25, 2011 1:56 am

Regret to see Krystal go from Fan 590. Thought he was ideally suited for early afternoon after abysmal showing and eventual suspension from am slot after going “postal” with an anti- Jeff Blair rant back in January. Served his 3 week suspension admirably and thought he was decent alternative to Dan Patrick. Thought he was horrible on his morning show with his likely ADHD(or not) acting up constantly with cutting off guests and other Fan 590 personell. Schtick with Roenick got tiresome after AK asked a time or time too many about Roenick’s previous on ice accomplishments and present off ice activities after interview(with awaiting wife).

Fan 590 troubles now more to do with TSN spending oodles of cash and having support staff of Pierre McGuire, Dan Shulman, Chris Shultz and others available almost all day to come on air. Take away PTS and the Fan 590 in serious troubles and with ad revenues that will likely dwindle by end of 2011, they will be cutting out more than AK’s of the world to stay afloat. Not sure if Don Kollins a willing villain or semi astute puppet of non compliant Sportsnet empire that might get their lunches handed to them in next 6 to 9 months.

Interesting sports radio landscape at least in Toronto these days.