Toronto Sports Media Morning Drive Lineups

Here’s your drive lineup for your listening enjoyment this am:

On 590 with Greg Brady and Jim Lang:

Damien Cox from Wimbledon
Eric Smith, Color Commentator of the Toronto Raptors
Scott Howson, GM of the Columbus Blue Jackets
and more

On TSN radio with Mike Richards

Graham DeLaet (PGA Tour Player)
Glenn Crouter (Woodbine Entertainment)
Pierre McGuire (NHL on TSN Analyst)
Dan Shulman (ESPN Play-by-Play)
Kevin Cheveldayoff (Winnipeg GM)
Darren Dreger (NHL on TSN Analyst)
Doug Plank (Former OSU Buckeye & Chicago Bear)

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 15
  • comment-avatar
    Sea Bass 9 years ago

His constant Canadian homerism and making stupid, comments about Americans show how ignorant he is and how little he really brings to the table. His comments a few weeks ago about if there were american HNIC announcers, and then him going on and on today about the “average american” and how they’re all starting lawsuits is nonsense. From my line of work I can tell you that there are just as many people in Canada who want to sue and make a quick buck for their percieved injustices. The US is 10 times bigger and naturally they are more prone than Canada to the extreme and ridiculous stories. But when in doubt, when he has little to add to a topic (which is often), a guy like Lang has to go back to the well to cheap shot Americans to boost his Canadian pride.

• comment-avatar

Good write up Sea Bass, agree (well except the not listening anymore, still too much of a Brady fan to jump ship)

But I wonder if this was a Brady choice or a Sportsnet company choice. Lang has been a compnay guy since i can remember. Reading his bio he did Argos PBP. I know he did some location stuff for sports events on SN and some anchor work too, but never heard him much on radio. Even with his crazy expressions I didn’t mind him on SN (certainly better than the other males there at the time ie Toth, McCormick) but even though I really want to give it a chance. It’s just not really working like it should.

Brady & Watters were great together, they were as different as can be, but there was an endearing intereactoin between them. Even though Brady carried the show, i still liked Watters there even if it’s just for making fun of each other.

I just don’t find Lang to have a good radio tone, and above that, not add too much in wit or knowledge to carry his end of the show. I think Brady can carry the show with some off and on intereaction with people around the studio (producer, sportsupdate guy, traffic woman etc). I wouldn’t put Lang as my worst, (but i do have to agree he comes off really dumb making these generalizations) but the morning show you really need to bring your top quality, and I just don’t know if Lang is there.

Gerry (Burlington) 9 years ago

So on a day where big NHL trades starting to occur, day before NHL Draft, Bobcat starts his show with horse racing talk. He does talk about what he wants to talk about doesn’t he. Probably not a big deal, but kind of expected Richie Rich on with the big breakdown of the Philly / Columbus trade.

Craig 9 years ago

@Gerry (Burlington) – you read my mind. Philly is performing an extreme makeover (Richards gone, Carter gone – making the trade deadline look like amateur hour) and McCown is rambling on about horse racing??!!

• comment-avatar

Tsn sounds awful today. Almost like a robot is taking it over. Not sure if anyone else it noticing the digital sound jumping. Ended up there when horse talk

Gerry (Burlington) 9 years ago

@Craig, and now they are talking Raptors….. Sorry but this town wants to talk hockey WHEN there is big stuff going down. Two players whom Burke would have loved to acquire just got shipped and Bobcat is talking raptors and horse racing. I am guessing Bob Elliot comes on next and tells us about a 15 cdn 2nd baseman in Maple Ridge BC.

Gerry (Burlington) 9 years ago

sorry, a 15 year old canadian prospect

Gerry (Burlington) 9 years ago

One last post sorry everybody, noticed TSN beat Sportsnet to the punch on both Philly trades, and when you consider one was to Columbus…. well should bring out the knives again between Kipper and his love for all things TSN.

Steve (in Hamilton) 9 years ago

• comment-avatar

Sea Bass said “Jim Lang is terrible and I think Brady is getting tired of him. He is no better than Landry or Toth with his generic, misonformed and/or baseless comments, and overall lack of sports knowledge outside of hockey (in Lang’s case he does seem to know football)

I had high hopes for the show after the first few weeks but I am done and back to XM. Brady is great and I feel bad for him, but I can’t listen to this anymore.”

Wow that didn’t take long!

• comment-avatar

Steve in Hamilton said “I am in this town, and I am bored with hockey on June 23rd. Mind you, I don’t much want to hear about horsies either.”

Try the Live Drive with John Tory.

• comment-avatar

Daniel said “Ya, I’m with Steve. Cover the story, for sure. But I wouldn’t really enjoy hearing The Fan ‘stop the presses’ to do wall to wall coverage of a trade between Philadelphia and Columbus.”

We all want the happy medium. Bob isn’t going to change for a non Toronto story that he doesn’t care about, simple enough

• comment-avatar

Daniel said “You guys should have flipped to the Watters Show. I guarantee you they were all over the trades.”

Watters show? Is that still on the air?