One Year Anniversary Since Fan 590 Blow Up

Someone said to me yesterday that when you are kid time seems to pass so slowly. The time in between major events, like birthdays crawls by when you are young. Now that we are old (er) time just seems to fly.

It’s hard to believe that it’s been a year since Don Kollins through the proverbial bomb into the Fan 590 studios, cleaning house and blowing things up real good. It was a year ago that I drove my family to Detroit, for what I can’t really remember ( I am ironically doing it again today too) when I received a call back from Don Kollins to talk about the changes and yes it’s been a year since McCown discussed these changes at the start of his show.

Time has certainly flown by hasn’t it.

On this day last year, Don Landry, Gord Stellick, Mike Hogan, Brian Angus and Rick Ralph all were relieved of their duties. The new Fan linuep was to look something like this:

6-9 Morning show with some fill ins until permanent replacement is found
9-12 Andrew Krystal
12-2 Hockey Central with Greg Brady as host
2-3 The Greg Brady show
3-6 Prime Time Sports with Bob Mccown
6-7 Blue Jays/Raptors pre-game

Kind of makes you laugh when you see that doesn’t it?

No morning guy was ever really found. The summer was a write off and Krystal moved into mornings. Jeff Blair was brought in on a full time basis and Krystal pushed into mornings. Brady stayed where he was. Right? Wrong. Krystal bombed in mornings and swapped with Brady (but for the hockey gig). Prime time went back to it’s original time slot. Jim Lang was added to the morning show, oh, and Stellick was brought back in a limited role and Howard Berger was let go too. Also, Arthur moved over to TSN, Grange and Cox officially joined team Sportsnet.

It’s just about enough change to keep a website busy wouldn’t you say?

What does Don Kollins have to say about it, one year later?

“All in all very pleased on several fronts. Brady, Lang and Jeff Blair have brought new listeners and great ratings. Damien Cox and Michael Grange have been great additions to Prime Time Sports. Adjusted programming clocks, new formatics, joining forces with Sportsnet and going live 24-7 have all made the station a lot better. We have a great team that is passionate about sports, making great radio and having a good time. The best is yet to come.”

It’s funny what strange thing perspective is. As the calendar winds down on another year here at TSM and year number 3 is about to begin I have learned one thing; people in this market are serious about their sports radio. Unlike any other topic I write about, sports radio is numero uno.

Consider if you will that staring in October of 2009, the Globe and Mail has lost 3 three key sports writers, Tim Wharnsby, David Naylor and Michael Grange, their sports editor Steve McCalister went to Yahoo! and really not much is ever said about all those changes. The Globe is Canada’s paper and it has seen significant turnover in terms of talent leaving and really not so much as a whimper. Conversely, If a news person is changed at the Fan it’s big time news.

My take on all the changes? I think in a lot of respects changes were over due at the fan. Some worked (blair and brady/lang) and some didn’t (pts time change and krystal). I don’t think anyone, least of all Kollins promised perfection. A ton has happened this last year or so. We know have 2 all sports radio stations, say what you want about TSN, it’s a good alternative when you aren’t into what the Fan is talking about. I hope management there has patience to see it through.

I’d like to think there will be less changes at the Fan over the next 12 months, but that wouldn’t be good for business now would it?

I have a story coming up on more potential changes in this market later today.

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 102
  • comment-avatar
    Tweeter 9 years ago

The Krystal experiment was doomed to failure, as he was a fish out of water. I won’t cheer anyone losing their job, but would his contract be guaranteed? Nice golden hand-shake if it is!

Gerry (Burlington) 9 years ago

lagerandale 9 years ago

Who was the morning fill in last summer? Anybody know his name?

Mike S 9 years ago

Mike S 9 years ago

– the morning show is definitely better

– Blair is a more interesting host than Hogan but I thought Hogan’s guests were a bit better (I would probably like Blair’s show better if I was a baseball fan)

– now that Krystal is gone I am going to assume that the afternoon show will be about as good as it was a year ago

– PTS is better because there is more Grange/Cox and less Shannon

– overnights are worse, mainly because I am not a fan of Sammut at all

mike (in boston) 9 years ago

re: the globe’s losses.

they tried to convert Grange from a basketball guy to a generalist, like they did with Blair. neither has been a raging success in my opinion.

losing Grange as a basketball guy is a significant loss, since there is no obvious replacement. losing him as a general guy? not so much. they have Brunt, so everyone else is sort of redundant.

Mirtle has been a good Leaf guy, and they still have Duhatchek (sp?) as an NHL commentator, so losing Naylor has not been an issue.

the Globe is going to be just fine, but the Star is still head and shoulders above when it comes to basketball and baseball coverage with D. Smith and R. Griffin. the Globe should consider poaching Arthur and letting Blair move on or go back to covering the Jays … Arthur’s talents are wasted at the National Post, and he’s an upgrade over Blair, both in print and on the radio.

mike (in boston) 9 years ago

strangely there is nothing about the Krystal firing from occasional Rogers FAN590 co-host and Globe media critic Bruce Dowbiggin in today’s column.

• comment-avatar

Yes I am wondering what ever happened to Landry?
    Does anyone know.
    I think he gets a pretty bad wrap from a lot of people, but he was the same, if not arguably better then the same schtick that Mike Richards is drumming up over there on TSN 1050

Roger 9 years ago

Speaking of people getting canned, I saw the Damian Goddard interview on the Michael Coren Show last night. It’s fairly obvious the guy was fired for posting a politically incorrect tweet. Had he tweeted in favour of make-believe ‘gay’ marriage, there’s no doubt he would still be working at Sportsnet. Shame on Rogers for caving into the ever powerful gay lobby.

dsscpu 9 years ago

Mike S 9 years ago

robinaurora 9 years ago

Canuck in Boston 9 years ago

• comment-avatar

Ugh. Thanks for sharing, Roger.

Stephane 9 years ago

Dave from the suburbs 9 years ago

Roger says…

————————————————–

Oh f—- me……

• comment-avatar

Now I really enjoy Brady/Lang and Blair. I listen to The Fan more now (especially because I download the podcasts) than I have in ages.

So, yeah, Kollins has made some mistakes (Krystal, moving PTS are obvious ones) but overall it seems to me that he’s done a very good job.

I’m looking forward to seeing what The Fan does 12-4.

• comment-avatar

Plus…I dunno…maybe a fresh voice is the way to go. We’ll see.

Chris F. 9 years ago

Anyways as to the changes the Morning Show is a lot better but I think one of the hosts has to go as it’s almost like water and oil. Brady and Lang seem to disagree with each other more than what is necessary. I’ve also grown tired of Lang’s voice. It’s just grating to my ears. Nonetheless I recognize how much better the show has been overall so I can’t complain too bitterly.

Blair does a pretty good job on his show but I really think they should limit the phone calls to one hour and have more guests. In fact, I think they use TOO MANY phone segments overall since Kollins has taken over. I’d like to see a better balance.

I don’t care for HC at Noon but interestingly enough I like Kypreos and MacLean when they’re guests on other shows. It’s kinda weird that way…

Overnights is a bit hit and miss. Sammut is okay tho at times he goes off on a weird tangent. I do like how he gets very detailed on the baseball scoreboard and fantasy baseball stuff though I somewhat get the feeling he only does it as time filler.

Stormin Norman is really good on the weekends and I like how he has the overnight staff in studio and they do a bit of a roundtable. It leads to a very relaxed atmosphere.

lg toronto 9 years ago

• comment-avatar

It is interesting that Kollins failed to even mention the Krystal failure.

Prime time sports moving was a failure.

Suspending Wilner was a failure.

Firing Stellick was a failure. They brought him back at least, but I think that was less Kollins and more Moore.

Brady was a plus.

More negatives then positives for me. Worse is the total lack of acknowledging listeners. I would email Nelson Melman once in a blue moon just to give random feedback (never expected anything from it) and he would always thank me and welcome more feedback.

Kollins runs from that. He suspended Wilner and left his on air talent to hold the bag when fans had questions. He fired Hogan, Stellick and Co. and left McCown to hold the bag. Very poor leadership in my opinion.

Had Moore and Pelley not come on board would Prime Time still be at 3? Would Krystal still be on the radio? Would so the fan have recruited so many strong personalities? I have a feeling that those two have cleaned up a huge mess.

Id love to give Kollins the benefit of the doubt, but he didnt return my email so I have no idea.

Gerry (Burlington) 9 years ago

@Sean, agreed. I think alot of people are giving Kollins credit for this recent turnaround, and maybe he should. But I think we saw Pelley take a real active role in things at the station and this is when the turnaround began. Once TSN was officially in the running, I think Pelley recognized they needed to tighten things up on the goodship Fan590 and he started reshuffling things. Of course none of us really know, but given how poorly things started for Kollins, I find it hard to believe he makes all those poor decisions then all of a sudden gets really smart.

Basshat 9 years ago

Roger, did you get lost while surfing your way to a fundamentalist message board? Thanks for sharing the pablum from Coren’s show.

• comment-avatar

I think there are two distinct phases in the past year for the Fan.

First was the house cleaning without backfill where the station was god-awful. Lumby, the summer of the Roj, More Farraway, Krystal and what seemed like 24/7 of listener calls. A sense of entitlement that appeared to alienate the audience with” this is where we are if you don’t like find an alternative”.

Then Pelley and Moore arrived followed by the specter of competition from TSN Radio. There was going to be an alternative so the game changed and the station needed to respond with more lineup and format changes. In my opinion, the Fan has not shifted enough and despite obvious growing pains, TSN radio provides a credible alternative during the day and on weekends. I have really become hooked on Patrick and the scope of the show, not hockey!

I am most probably in the minority in believing that TSN is a credible alternative, but I do hope it succeeds if only to keep the Fan honest.

• comment-avatar

All I know, is that as long as their fetish for Toronto teams continues, I will be listening to 550, 1050 and ESPN.com a lot more. There are 100+ pro teams out there, but they want Jays 24/7 and Leafs talk., BYE!!

Roger 9 years ago

Wow, it appears the gay lobby is out on full force – and I do mean OUT.

Don’t you have more pressing things to do like buying that leather speedo, squirting gun or other “toys” fpr the upcoming week???

Steve (in Hamilton) 9 years ago

Roger=troll.

• comment-avatar

Mike – after the failure of the Team which used national programming all day, I think it’s safe to say Toronto sports radio will be focusing on local teams. Basically – Leafs, Jays, Raptors. And then, because it’s Toronto, a broad focus on the NHL in general as well.

Dave from the suburbs 9 years ago

Because I respect TSM and his site, I won’t waste my time dealing with the douchebaggery Roger is spouting.

But it’s typical behavior for a “good Christian”, isn’t it Roger?

• comment-avatar

Thanks daniel, but you cannot compare the team in 2000 to tsn in 2011. Tsn has 100x the resources, platforms, personalities and pure cash than The team folks did. They are n for a long fight, and more national hosts are part of their long term plan.

• comment-avatar

But wasn’t the issue that they concluded it was hard to get an audience in Toronto to listen to sports talk that would interest Calgary/Vancouver/Edmonton etc? And vice versa?

I guess McCown pulls it off at 6…

The Book Doctor 9 years ago

As the former host of a show on THE FAN in the 1990s, I think that sports talk radio can be confrontational at times, can be educational at times and other times it can be just plain fun. But the underlying basis for all the above is professionalism and one of the things that THE FAN now lacks in many on air personalities is professionalism.

The first thing you learn is that two people cannot talk at the same time as neither can be heard or understood and when three try (as on Hockey Central) it’s a pig’s breakfast. Doug McLean, Nick Kypreos, Jeff Blair and the now departed Andrew Crystal are all guilty of “cross-talk”.

The other thing is that when you have a caller or especially a guest and you pose a question, have the courtesy to let them answer it. The host must remember that once the guest is gone, the microphone is again his, unopposed, and he can blather on to his heart’s content.

I can forgive McLean, Kypreos and Blair as they aren’t radio people but surely after all the time they have been on the air, no one has read them the riot act yet. Hell, even the producer behind the glass should be nattering in their ears, “one at a time guys, one at a time”!

As for Mike Hogan, a true professional. He allowed the guests to be the stars and then could comment after they were gone.

Howard Berger IS the Toronto Maple Leafs but wasn’t going to soft-soap the organization that clearly doesn’t deserve any coddling from fans or media alike.

Andrew Crystal is a truly brilliant guy but was was slightly out of his comfort zone and turned to the sad idea that radio must be confrontational. It doesn’t in my mind. While it’s possible to confront one guest, to plant fake bombs on the radio just to get a rise out of the listener is like these “manufatured collectibles” that they sell now, like pucks signed by Sidney Crosby, framed for a few hundred dollars. Fraudulent.

It’s obvious when a host is displaying a false belief on an issue. There is a sense of bluster which masks their real belief, usually designed to ilicit controversial phone calls. It works sometimes but doesn’t last.

In short, I think that Don Kollins may have blown up THE FAN but he’s the one holding the hand grenade right now, and I think that either Howard or Andrew has the pin!!

Roger 9 years ago

Don’t be so over sensitive Dave, I’m only saying it was wrong for Rogers to fire Goddard.

Now if you’re against free speech, that’s your problem. If you are, then why re your bothering with a public blog in the first place?

I think you need someone to pray for you.

Steve (in Hamilton) 9 years ago

Free speech only means that the government can’t censor. It doesn’t mean that others have to tolerate views they find objectionable. That’s why the church doesn’t have to perform same-sex marriages: it means that the government provides the marriage, not the church.

In this “church of TSM”, I have the feeling that most people here either don’t want to discuss this issue or are comfortable with the law in Canada, which is now the law in New York.

This is a private blog, to be used however the owner sees fit. I enjoy the discussion here quite often; let’s not extend freedom of speech arguments beyond their basic meaning.

Plebian Slob 9 years ago

Plebian Slob 9 years ago

Gerry (Burlington) 9 years ago

Sorry couldn’t resist!

David Masterson 9 years ago

I’m new to your site in the last month. Sorry for having just heard about it! But as an avid sports fan it’s now on my daily bookmarks.

You mentioned how Stellick is now back in some sort of capacity but what happened to Landry?

Also, if I’m not mistaken didn’t guys like the media critics in the Globe and Mail and the Star talk last year, when the Fan 590 news came down, about the fact that the ratings were good on most of the shows. McCowan has always been solid but I thought I recalled Hogan and guys like Smith and Armstrong having good ratings. Why were they dismissed? I thought Smith and Armstrong were pretty popular and their show was enjoyable to listen to. Hogan’s too. I guess the mornings needed a facelift but if Stellick is back now, maybe not. He’s a down to earth guy or so it seems.

Considering the talk of the TSN Radio ratings versus 590’s ratings, it might be interesting to see what the 590 ratings were last year at this time versus themselves, this year. How did they do battling against themselves, let alone how they might do in battle against competition now. 1 year ago vs today vs 1 year from today

I’ll continue to read and enjoy!

David

Gerry (Burlington) 9 years ago

Even Bobcat has completely stopped criticizing, especially with FOB Beeston as President. Unfortunately the TSN radio has such a weak baseball presence Dan Schullman aside they don’t seem to care what happens to the baseball audience or the team.
    Thanks for the informative post Mike!

• comment-avatar

As for The Fan after the changes, I think there were more positives than negatives. Changes had to be done. There was a great article here a long while back, talking about somebody who left town for a while (to study or something) then when he returned after almost half a decade, he was surprised that the same voices were still there. The Fan was desperate for a fresh coat of paint.

I think the morning show is a lot better now. Hogan is good, but needs a fresh voice & Blair fit in well (needs to lay off the calls & have more a debate topic show which I think he shines) they were smart in signing up print guys to contracts (Grange, Brunt, Blair, Damo) & even stuff like shorter sports updates, I would put them in good moves. On the negatives, Krystal was a disaster no question. the afternoon spot still haven’t found a true full-time guy. Still don’t think they utilize B-level people properly (Seixeiro. Barb, Dunleavy) I think very talented but are stuck doing sports updates while Cooper & Sammut gets regular spots, but that’s just a personal opinion.

• comment-avatar

My buddies at Bell/TSN tell me they have a 3 year plan to build their audience in the Toronto market, and success doesn’t mean just pure ratings on radio, but also market share across a “whole spectrum of platforms”.

• comment-avatar

Those guys have all been very critical and honest. Zaun said Snider might be a ‘AAAA’ hitter, for example. Ashby is known for being objective. He was actually fired by the Astros for criticizing the home team too much.

McCown’s not really objective about the Jays, but I think it’s because he’s a fan rather than anything to do with Rogers.

Brady was recently saying on twitter he felt the team was a real disappointment this season, which I actually thought was harsh if anything. He works for Rogers.

I think it’s great to be away of the Rogers ownership/media conflict with regards to the Jays. I certainly have been looking for it, because I want the best coverage (and I thought coverage was dreadful in the Campbell/Costentino days).

*away = aware

• comment-avatar

In the last year and a half though, AA has done a really nice rebuilding job.

Less than 12 parsecs 9 years ago

Weener 9 years ago

The fact he continues to spout off about this shows that he doesn’t get it and places evangelism and crusading as his priorities. That’s fine, just don’t expect a career in the media Damian. Every time you open your yap, that’s another shovel of dirt in the grave of your journalistic career.

• comment-avatar

I would agree with you, but the Wilner/Gaston thing suggest that you cannot be too negative about team personal or there will be ramifications.

• comment-avatar

You know what, Sean – that’s a great point.

I was outraged that Wilner was suspended for that. Totally agree with you.

Since then, I’ve been pleased. But ya, that was brutal.

mike (in boston) 9 years ago

Unfortunately, since Kollins never commented on this issue, that incident has undermined the credibility of every Rogers employee who covers the Jays. The appearance is that criticism that is deemed too harsh will be silenced. When combined with the Brunt “Torch Bearer” fiasco, 2010 was a bad year for journalistic objectivity.

• comment-avatar

I remember being surprised that Brady didn’t criticize Rogers at the time. Basically saying ‘I have no idea what went on, so I can’t comment’. I found it odd, because Brady seemed to love taking potshots at The Fan when he was at 640.

Anyway – it’s funny because at the time neither Blair or Brady were working for The Fan, but both were hired not long after. the Wilner fiasco. They may have just not wanted to piss anybody off while they were negotiating for a job. I can’t really blame them, to be honest.

mike (in boston) 9 years ago

you’re right Daniel, that’s how i remember it as well. I should have said that Blair sided against Wilner, rather than that he sided with Rogers.

I still find his stance to be objectionable – it basically says “it’s not our job to call out the manager.” i disagree, and having lived in Boston for 8 years, i can guarantee you that the local reporters would disagree with Blair as well.

• comment-avatar

I had forgotten about the Wilner suspension.

There are two problems with it from my perspective; the perception that critizing the manager is off-limits for Fan personalities not named McCown and Wilner was just suspended. My perceptions of Wilner aside, Kollins’ judgment in not dealing with this straight up, thereby creating the objectivity issues, underscores my issue with his tenure. It is his judgment. Communication with the listeners is not the man’s strength. However, there did not seem to be any great plan, just spaghetti against the wall to see what would stick.

It may also be my perception but Blair is not the only one who does not critique the manager. The radio crew seems more willing to be objective when it comes to the players but not so with the manager. McCown may be venturing toward that now with some of his tacks on the pitching and Arencebia.

Not sure if the perception is correct, but it seems that Buck Marinez has had very limited time on PTS since going after McCown for comments about Gaston last year. It may be a preference for Ashby or possibly I am wrong, but it does seem that way.

Roger 9 years ago

Rome wrote: “As for the Goddard thing, you guys are totally correct, free speech does not mean a TV company can’t fire you if they find what you say to be divisive & not helping the station as a whole. If I host a show at Coren faith-based TV channel and start spewing anti-religion stuff out of no where, guess what! They can fire me. He’s doing the “righty radio rounds” again none of these guys have “unscreened open lines” when listeners call in, because they want to control the message of their show, just like SN wants to. The irony though of him complaining about his “human rights” when he wants to take away other human euqal rights to get married.”
    —————-
    So Rome, by comparing Goddard’s comments to you spewing anti religious stuff at CTS, you’re implying Sportsnet is a pro gay station for gay people. That’s odd, I didn’t know they were. I guess you have better insight on that than me.

The irony is that another SN perssonality tweeted his admiration and love for Avery’s PSA. Yet, not surprisiingly he wasn’t fired. That’s where we have the double standatrd. I dont care if you and your boyfriends are offneded by Goddard’s comments, all I know is that he shouldn’t have been fired. That’s all I’m saying. My post has not endorsed or spoken out against gay marriage.

A person should not lose their job over their opinion on a private tweeter account. Just as Bruce Arthur, Stephen Brunt and sevral others who applauded your boy Avery for his “courage” (notuce the quotes) in backing gay mariage.

I’m done here. I hope my point has sunk in now. You can run off to your parties….

Less than 12 parsecs 9 years ago

@Roger: You’re right, this is getting a little tiresome. And you might want to think about getting your blood pressure checked – clearly when you get excited (as you obviously were when writing that last post) it affects not just your logic but your spelling.

Roger 9 years ago

Less than whatever,

Agreed, spelling is bad but logic is spot on. I guess its too much to ask for you wanks to understand my logic.

Less than 12 parsecs 9 years ago

Ah Roger:

I don’t remember anyone in the Bible or my Sunday School calling other people “wanks.” Not very neighbourly or Christian, is it? You may want to have a word with your pastor to confirm that.

Steve (in Hamilton) 9 years ago

Roger,

To quote the immortal Homer Simpson: “just because I don’t care doesn’t mean that I don’t understand.”

Weener 9 years ago

I think Roger is a repressed homosexual. He calls others wanks and keeps making inferences that everyone else is gay. Reminds me og the behavior of Republicans in office… Angrily attack as a means of defense.

Don’t worry Roger, as you can see, people here don’t judge you by your sexual orientation. We judge you by your stupidity.

• comment-avatar

First off all, the worst thing you can do is feed a troll. Let this Roger guy post, if you engage him, he will feed off it. Don’t engage, he will starve.

As far as Rogers and the Blue Jays, I actually don’t think there is any interference. I think that Fan 590 employees can say whatever they want.

That said, I have no idea if its the truth, due solely on the Wilner suspension, and Kollins hiding afterwords. Had he talked about it and at least presented a legitimate reason, then perhaps I would have a reason to think that he was acting alone. By ignoring it and letting rumours fly, then we all now have the suspicions that BLue Jays higher ups made that call. Step up and make a comment, those rumours may not be there.

Now whenever I hear someone overly positive on the Jays on the Fan, I get a thought in the back of my head about if they are being influenced. It all flows back to that suspension.

Its a shame that its the case, but by not addressing it, Kollins has bread that doubt in me, and no doubt others.

Roger 9 years ago

Sorry, weener (odd choice for a handle) but I’m afraid you’re alone in your gay world. Nice try though. I’m sure if you look hard enough you’ll find that elusive lover or wiener you’ve been craving so many years.

As for being a troll, I know more about sports than anyone here.

Kenneth R Trew 9 years ago

• comment-avatar

Tweeter said “Interesting how Ralph & Hogan are together on weekends at the TSN. As for Stellick, he’ll probably take over Bergers job as the “Leaf” man. Curious where Landry ended up, if anywhere!
    Change wise, prefer Brady & Lang, like Blair but miss Hogey, and interested who they can get for afternoons. Looks like a summer of the “Raj”. Thank heavens for 1050!”

Dunleavy is taking over for Berger.

• comment-avatar

Gerry said “Seems to me like Dunleavy may be taking over Bergers role. They have sent him to the draft in St. Paul this weekend. Curious if they send anyone on leaf road trips this winter, if they do can’t see Gord doing that.”

Good call, Dunleavy it is.

• comment-avatar

Mike S said “Hey Lagerandale……..the guy who did mornings on 590 last summer was named Jeff Lumby”

How quickly we choose to forget.

• comment-avatar

Mike S said “If we take a snapshot of where 590 is now and compare it to where 590 was a year ago I would say it is better now, but not substantially better:

– the morning show is definitely better

– PTS is better because there is more Grange/Cox and less Shannon

– overnights are worse, mainly because I am not a fan of Sammut at all

Since the station is better now than it was a year ago, I guess that is all that matters…………..however it is really hard for me to overlook all of the mistakes that were made in the last 12 months”

I think the station is better. I will reserve final judgement until a new afternoon host is found.

• comment-avatar

Dsscpu said “Mike S, one thing you have to take into account as for guests a year or so ago was there was no TSN Radio. Once CTVgm/Bell decided they were going to relaunch CHUM-AM as TSN Radio and started to lay the groundwork, all of the TSN and some of the ESPN personalities suddenly dried up. Guys like Shulman and Schultz were regulars over on 590 and that for sure plays into the guests. It is also the reason why Rogers went and signed up Cox and Grange, 100% exclusivity.

Anyways, I think we all have seen hos strong Blair has been. He demonstrated it a year ago when he filled in for an extended time on PTS and it basically landed him his current gig. Personally I prefer Brady in the afternoons compared to hosting mornings because there was less of a need for him to ‘be funny’. We all agreed PTS changing times was a bad call.”

It is really nice having choices today that we didn’t have a year ago.

• comment-avatar

Mike S said “Hey Dsscpu……….when I say that I liked the guests on Hogan’s show a bit better than the guests on Blair’s show I’m not talking about TSN/ESPN guys………..I am talking about guys like Lee Hamilton (NFL) and the daily hockey guests (Kevin Allen, Kevin Paul Dupont, etc)……..also, for some reason Blair’s show seems to have phone calls in every hour while Hogan’s show only had calls in the first hour”

It’s clearly a personal choice. I prefer Blair to Hogan, guests included, but Hogan had a following too.

• comment-avatar

Chef Mike Benninger said “I used to listen to the FAN590 4-5 hours a day while working, and PTS on the way home or while making dinner, but now only PTS and half as much as I used to. The Mike and Mike in the Morning timeshift is a better morning show, and Dan Patrick is a better afternoon show. Once Bob retires, they’re screwed…There are lots of guys like me who are tired of the never ending Toronto team talk and moved on to other stations.”

McCown has a 6 year deal. Guess they’re not screwed for a while.

• comment-avatar

robinaurora said “Mike – Dowbiggin (my least favourite columnist in Canada) is located in Calgary and he’s effectively out of touch with sports media in general. But considering it’s his job to cover sports media, that is a rather alarming fact. I really can’t see a media columnist for a national publication working out of Calgary, when every major broadcaster is HQ’d in Toronto. Might as well have someone in Charlottetown who can actually write. His column is effectively a blog as it is only seen on Globesports.com and not the paper.”

I don’t think he would take too kindly to being referred to as a blogger 🙂 He would have to post the $10k bond!

• comment-avatar

Canuck in Boston said “Edit please, just a blog yes, but through versus THREW? Wow too bad the Canucks couldnt clothes out the SC final?”

sorry

• comment-avatar

Daniel said “Ugh. Thanks for sharing, Roger.”

It is what it is!

• comment-avatar

Stephane said “The whole debacle at the Fan has led me to listen to 1050 and CBC 1. That being said, maybe, just maybe I will tune in now that Krystal is gone. The morning show on the FAN is unlistenable. That one dude, Blair complains and whines for the sake of it as if it’s his shtick to be a sour P.O.S. Not what I want in the morning.”

I hear what you are saying, but so far anyways, the #’s suggest your in the minority.

• comment-avatar

Dave from the Suburbs said “Roger says…

————————————————–

Oh f—- me……”

As I said when we talked about this issue before, I don’t want this to be a forum for debate on that issue. Take it somewhere else.

• comment-avatar

Daniel said “A year ago, I really only listened to Prime Time Sports, and Jays games. It was probably the least I had listened to The Fan on a regular basis in years. Stellick and Hogan seem like good guys, but their shows were tired, and I just wasn’t interested anymore. I’ve never enjoyed HC at noon. I didn’t mind the GamePlan, but Jack and Eric were never really there so it didn’t really work.

I’m looking forward to seeing what The Fan does 12-4.”

Any guesses or wishes for that slot?

Daniel:

“A Gord/Damien reunion would be fun somewhere in the afternoon. But since he’s been assigned to PTS I’m guessing that’s not an option.

Plus…I dunno…maybe a fresh voice is the way to go. We’ll see.”

That boat has sailed Daniel. On to something new.

• comment-avatar

Chris F said “Why not have Gord and Barb in the afternoons. I really miss the days when Barb had more of a presence at the station.

Overall I think the Fan is better off now than it was a year ago but Lord help them when McCown retires because the one thing that makes him the anchor for the station is that he doesn’t kowtow easily to the whole “hockey talk is king” mindset which i’m afraid will happen once he’s gone.”

There’s a lot of time before McCown retires and people come and go. Let’s see what happens at TSN and if they stick this out for the long haul.

• comment-avatar

lg Toronto said “@Roger just because Goddard “says” that’s why he was fired, doesn’t make it true. his interview on Coren’s show was totally one-sided. do you just take the word of the guy who was fired as gospel? this is going to be a tough battle, i think”

There are always 3 sides to every story. What was Goddard supposed to say?

• comment-avatar

Mike said “Damian is confusing freedom of speech with freedom from consequence, not the same thing !!”

Not sure what you are referencing, but you are correct

• comment-avatar

Plebian Slob said “While I didn’t find Goddards tweet to be offensive(or nuanced as a counterpoint), I’m assuming Roger’s has an ironclad Twitter conduct policy or he had been warned previously about his account usage. Otherwise he could very well win a wrongful dissmissal suit.”

BINGO!!!

• comment-avatar

Plebian Slob said “As for the issue at hand I very much doubt that TSN will be able to catch up to the Fan anytime soon, especially now that the FAN has stopped the bleeding at 1-4 p.m. I expect much lower ratings for the Dan Patrick show if the FAN can bring on even a tolerable host. The summer of Lajoie could be highly irritating though.”

The question is will TSN hang in long term. I hope the answer is yes. The truth is the longer they do, the better chance they have at success.

• comment-avatar

Gerry in Burlington said “@Plebian Slob, LOL The Summer of Lajoie, that immediately reminded me of “The Summer of George” (Seinfeld), does this mean Lajoie or us as listeners end up in the hospital with the final scene being someone having to learn how to walk again.
    Sorry couldn’t resist!”

Never enough Seinfeld references on this site!

• comment-avatar

Mike said “My last word on this topic is this. The jays get 65m from the MLB tv contract and, according to Forbes magazine, another 20m in revenue sharing, that’s 80+ million before they sell me an uncomfortable seat and a watery beer with my mystery meat hot dog. They have a 65m payroll and are pocketing the rest by putting a product on the field that’s playing for third by May. The fan and Rogers thinks this is just fine, we re building they say…

I’ve heard this for years, but ESPN talks about teams that actually want to compete. PTS is their last shot at my ears and my money, and they seem hellbent on making Blair the heir apparent, and then I’m gone, like I said before, I have 1000 other radio options.”

I think McCown has disputed these numbers on PTS. Anyone confirm?

• comment-avatar

David Masterson said “’m new to your site in the last month. Sorry for having just heard about it! But as an avid sports fan it’s now on my daily bookmarks.

Considering the talk of the TSN Radio ratings versus 590′s ratings, it might be interesting to see what the 590 ratings were last year at this time versus themselves, this year. How did they do battling against themselves, let alone how they might do in battle against competition now. 1 year ago vs today vs 1 year from today

I’ll continue to read and enjoy!

David”

Thanks and welcome to the party!

• comment-avatar

Gerry said “Mike, I am guessing the MLB tv contract does not include the local tv rights which Rogers sells to themselves correct? I didn’t realize the numbers were that high, this is the problem with the Rogers Sportsnet Fan590, there is no longer an unbiased approaching when covering this team. Yah sure they will make some comments regarding Managers not knowing how to do a double switch, and the Radio Guys especially Ashby will questions some bball moves but there is no challenging the ownership and gm from a money spent perspective at all anymore.

Thanks for the informative post Mike!”

I don’t think TSN couldn’t care. I think they will launch a summer baseball show in fact. It’s early guys, give it time.

• comment-avatar

Rome said “Mike great comment about the Jays, Wiler always said he hates when fans compare other sports to baseball, but he seems to be this season more than a few times saying “the Jays are doing it the right way, unlike MLSE/Leafs” . The Leafs sure didn’t do it the correct way post salary-cap, but I think a lot of people choose for forget that the Leafs had a very good team pre-cap. The first half of the previous decades they were normally a top team and even made it to the semi’s, something the Jays haven’t done since the WS days.

Goddard just should have kept his mouth shut. There was no reason to go there.

• comment-avatar

Mike Benninger said “Yes, i forgot how much thew Wilner comment pissed me off, very douchey of him… To him and his employers, doing it “the right way” means missing the playoff for 18 years. If that’s the case, their idea of outright failure frightens me. What would that be? Behind by 7 games before the all star break…wait a minute, isn’t that today?

Remember, Leaf rights are up very soon, McCowan’s contract only has a few more years, the NBA will be locked out, the Jays will likely continue to fail and more and more, the audience fragments to other media sources…I think there are some very dark days for the FAN ahead and they better pull their head out and start asking the right people some better questions about what content we like to hear.”

My money is on Wilner being the next guy thrown over board at the Fan.

• comment-avatar

Daniel said “Gerry – In all honestly, I do think Sportsnet/The Fan covers the Jays in a mostly objectively way. Particularly Ashby, Zaun and Blair.

But since the additions of Buck, Ashby, Blair, Zaun and the improvements in the broadcasts after Pelley came in – the broadcasts and the objectivity of the coverage have really improved.”

I think Rogers does a good job with the Jays. They aren’t overly homer-esque. I think they offer the same fair and balanced coverage that most flagships do in sports.

• comment-avatar

Daniel said “*away = aware”

Welcome to the club

• comment-avatar

Daniel said “Rome – I would say there’s no question that the Leafs were a better run organization from 94 to 04.

In the last year and a half though, AA has done a really nice rebuilding job.

Having said that – they’re not in competition with each other. Lets get them both good.”

Unfortunately, sports is a results business. Either you win, or …..

• comment-avatar

Less than 12 parsecs said “@Roger: Not afraid of your opinions, Roger, just surprised that after all the times you’ve been smacked down on the Goddard issue for getting facts wrong and borderline homophobia – http://bit.ly/iWVNKm – that you’re still trolling about it. But I guess that’s the definition of a troll…”

Gents, I’ve never closed down comments on a post…..

• comment-avatar

Weener said “Goddard deserved to be fired for what he tweeted. Regardless of his personal opinions, he was a public figure and needed to have the intelligence to understand the consequences of making bigoted statements.

As an aside, I thought Goddard was an awful anchor ho tried too hard to be entertaining. I still remember the dirty look Osmak gave him whe he called her “Ozzy” during one broadcast.”

I agree. He should have kept his mouth shut then and he should do so now too.

Sean said “Daniel

Even if it wasn’t the case, the suspension looks like your not allowed to question team management.”

I don’t think that was the issue. I think a lot went on behind closed doors and we only saw the brunt of it. Pardon the pun.

• comment-avatar

Daniel said “You know what, Sean – that’s a great point.

I was outraged that Wilner was suspended for that. Totally agree with you.

Since then, I’ve been pleased. But ya, that was brutal.”

Again, I think there was more going on behind closed doors.

• comment-avatar

Mike in Boston said “Wilner was, i believe, suspended for his rant about the incident on his blog, not for the questioning of Cito itself. I may be wrong about that, but that’s my hypothesis: if there had been no blog post, there would have been no suspension.

Wilner is an insufferable douche, but he was absolutely wronged by Rogers management in how they handled that suspension. The fact that Blair sided with Rogers was particularly disturbing.”

How do you really feel? Again, I don’t see him being at the Fan long term. Just a hunch.

mike (in boston) 9 years ago

TSM – are you trying to make this your 1st 100 comment post?

• comment-avatar

Daniel said “I don’t remember Blair siding with Rogers. He said something along the lines of ‘you’re not really supposed to call a manager out like that in a press scrum’. But he never said ‘Rogers made the right move’ or took a really defined stance on it (at least that I saw).

I believe Landry was the only Fan employee who came out against the suspension, but he likely knew his time was nearing an end there.”

I think that’s a fair account.

• comment-avatar

Mike in Boston said “I don’t remember Blair siding with Rogers. He said something along the lines of ‘you’re not really supposed to call a manager out like that in a press scrum’.

the media who attend the games are the only people who have an opportunity to question in-game decisions. if they don’t do it then nobody will. i would love to hear Blair elaborate on this issue.”

I think what he meant was you don’t embarrass a guy and that’s what he thought Wilner was doing. There’s a difference between calling someone out and making it personal.

• comment-avatar

Kenneth R Trew said “Don’t listen to the Fan anymore..love Scott Ferguson on 1050 as welll as their morning show”

Look for Ferguson to get a nightly baseball show soon

• comment-avatar

Mike in Boston said “TSM – are you trying to make this your 1st 100 comment post?

As much as i dislike Wilner, it would be the wrong move for the FAN to fire him. they have no one on the roster ready to replace him, and as “the voice of the Jays” they need someone credible on 21st century baseball analysis. modern baseball fans are way more sophisticated than they were 20 and 10 years ago and you can’t just throw some guy in there to talk about how they need to score more runs.”

No, I just promised that I would try to respond to every comment on the site. So far so good!