Toronto Blue Jays Get It

So tonight in Boston I did something I’ve never done before; I waited in a hotel for a sports team to arrive. Before you poke all sorts of fun at me, know that I took my kids to the Blue Jays hotel in hopes of allowing them to meet or at least see of their baseball idols.

The Jays as you know lost a tough one at fenway park and showed up at their hotel about 90 minutes after their game against the Red Sox. They arrived in a sour mood, but I thought I should be fair and let you know that every player and coach we saw (read recognize) stopped for the kids and took photos.

The manager was the most gruff, however when I asked if he would take a quick photo with the kids, he immediately stepped back from the elevator bay, came back and took a photo. Every player we approached was more than happy to take a second with the kids. I wouldn’t let the kids ask for autographs, it was photos only and my kids are young, 7 and 9. When the players saw the kids they immediately stopped what they were doing and were happy to spend some time with them.

I have to admit that we were waiting a good 30 minutes in the hotel lobby for the team buses to arrive and half of the guys walked by without be recognizing them. I was shocked at how young and “unathletic” or small they looked. Not only that, I have only spent time with hockey players and they are all “dressed” before and after games; the Jays were all in jeans. Thankfully, another family from Toronto was there to alert us that these were the Jays and who was who. I recognized certain guys, the obvious ones, but I will be honest, the majority I had no clue who they were.

Tomorrow night we will be at the game.

More from Boston later.

Chris F.
Chris F.
July 6, 2011 7:01 am

Now that’s a great story to wake up to! It’s nice to hear that the Jays players and coaches were nice enough to do that for you and your young family. I know I for one would be just as grouchy and upset about the game as the guys seemed to be from what you say. Unfortunately I’d probably wave you guys off.

So yeah, the Blue Jays Get It! They’ve got a lot of good guys on that team and they oughta be commended for what they did.

Hope you enjoy the game tonight.

Gerry (BUrlington)
Gerry (BUrlington)
July 6, 2011 7:23 am

Good to hear TSM, happy for your kids to get that. However, the cynic in me wonders if the team is receptive to that since half that starting lineup should be in Triple A and they are probably just grateful to be in the BIGS.

I think Bautista is a class act and probably leads that group by example. I suspect the Mgr. wanted that win more than anyone given his last gig was there in Beantown.

TSM you gonna get together with Mike in Boston for a drink?

trackback

[…] a stint in the net for the Black team during the three-day Alexandria Blizzard camp more… Toronto Blue Jays Get It – Toronto Sports Media – torontosportsmedia.com 07/06/2011 Toronto Blue Jays Get ItToronto Sports MediaNot only […]

Mike in Burlington
July 6, 2011 1:35 pm

Congrats to the Jays doing the right thing, even after a tough loss on the road. But considering they play in an empty building most nights, they need something…

But here’s a thought…how about they try to compete instead??

How about we stop spending $65M when our division mates spend $165M?? How about we stop HOPING to play for a wild card shot and ACTUALLY try to win the division?? How about they stop “doing it the right way” (Wilner) and maybe try to stop nearly 20 years of failure “the wrong way” and compete for real free agents.

Toronto is the 4th biggest media market in North America and the Jays are owned by $12 BILLON dollar company with $4 BILLION in profits each of the last 2 years, yet they aren’t even spending the TV and profit sharing on payroll….they don’t care about winning, why should we???

lt67
lt67
July 6, 2011 5:17 pm

Good for the Jays….You only hear stories like this about hockey and CFL players…Have fun at the game.

July 6, 2011 6:00 pm

Nice that you posted this. When it comes to interactions between players and fans, it seems like we usually only hear about the negatives.

July 6, 2011 6:02 pm

By the way – who was particularly nice, just out of curiosity?

Tabber
Tabber
July 7, 2011 5:24 pm

What’s with the apparent advertising posts that say NOTHING but repeat the article’s headline amidst some completely unrelated headline stuff? News about Toronto Hockey issue #1 | TorontoFraudLock.info – what is this crap? I don’t want to click on it for fear of viruses, because it looks suspicious.