Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

Here’s are your drive home lineups

On Fan 590 Tonight

Tim and Sid Uncut:

TBA

PBI
PBI
July 8, 2011 4:42 pm

Brunt, Cox and………Shannon.

Most polarizing round table ever.

cam
cam
July 9, 2011 8:59 am

Must admit I did not get to hear a lot of the round table but what I did was mostly around the opening segment. Maybe it was after a long week but I quickly tired of the Cox attitude. Perhaps it was the topic but I found him somewhat more arrogant and dismissive than usual. I am not a Cox fan and perhaps I am being overly critical but I am trying to keep an open mind. Well struggling to keep an open mind may be more apt.

I have not had the opportunity to catch PTS over the past few weeks and am curious how others are finding his performance.

PDH
PDH
July 9, 2011 10:06 am

@ Cam

I find that Cox has been more argumentative than normal this week and his constant defending of everything Maple Leafs and his absolute refusal to ever have anything but praise for everything Brian Burke does is beyond silly and not based in any journalistic integrity.

McCown is off for the next couple of weeks, so I assume Blair will be taking over in the #1 chair, with Grange as co-host. Could be painful listening with all the “hmms”, stammering and inability of either guy stringing more than one cohesive sentences together verbally.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
July 9, 2011 10:50 am

Here is where I am at. Like Cam, I feel the same way, but I have even taken it a step further. almost a full boycott of Cox, putting him in the same category as FOB.

My dream team of McCown/Brunt and McCown/Arthur did not materialize, as TSN Radio scooped Arthur away, and my listening habits have changed regarding PTS. I am also having trouble with Grange, who is more a print guy and just is not capable IMO of duplicating it on air.

I am listening far less regardless to sports radio due to the dead period in sports we are in, so it is not a big deal for now.

Gerry (BUrlington)
Gerry (BUrlington)
July 9, 2011 12:15 pm

Not sure which day of the week it was, but Bob had to do a 10 minute filler segment before the top of the hour. He read an email from a listener who politely discussed his impression of Damien constantly interrupting Bob and the guests. Damien of course in a pompous fashion started back with “Is it from a male or a female?” Bob responded a male. Damien then said and I paraphrase, “well he just doesn’t get it” and proceeded to dismiss the whoe topic and mocked it.

Damien Cox cannot in any way accept any ctriticism, be it contstructive or otherwise. I really cannot stand him anymore, and I especially no longer believe he is being fair in his reporting of the Leafs. He is so far up the rear end of Brian Burke, that when Burke stops walking all you can see is Cox’s birkenstocks sticking out the rear.

I didn’t mind Cox about 10 years ago on the Gord and Damien show, but he has become extremely arrogant since then, in my opnion. I hope I am wrong, but everything he does seems to make me more adamant in my view.

Mike in Burlington
July 9, 2011 12:53 pm

I am glad to know that I am not the only one who is starting to hear some cracks in the PTS shows.

In full disclosure, I am a Bobcat fan, so the others have always been little more then filler anyway IMO, but Bob seems to be mailing in a lot of shows lately. The Jays stink again, but when AA comes on, it’s all corporate line nicey nicey about “developing players”. He used to hold them accountable, not anymore it seems, maybe he’s been told to back off, or maybe the weight of being the only real ratings talent on the station is taking a toll. Either way, his show as destination radio seems to be getting tired, and quickly too…

Tom
Tom
July 9, 2011 1:55 pm

I am in the minority – I like Damien Cox and can’t st-st-stand Brunt but am finding myself more and more flipping around the dial. I finally heard the Dan Patrick show on TSN and loved it. Think it could go head to head against PTS?

Gerry (BUrlington)
Gerry (BUrlington)
July 9, 2011 2:47 pm

Not sure how many of you folks have been following the story regarding Dr. Galea, but there is an excellent article in the G&A today detailing the background story on this guy. In light of the fact that this guy was doing work on Tiger Woods, specifically for his knee, I am curious to watch how the MSM in the US deal with this story as it relates to Tiger.

lagerandale
lagerandale
July 9, 2011 7:05 pm

I for one like Cox, when he talks sports. Although lately on PTS it seems like its just a social call for him. He spends more time interrupting Bob about nothing then he does talking about the topic. In saying that, when they do get into a discussion about something relevant its great radio.

lagerandale
lagerandale
July 9, 2011 7:10 pm

Totally off topic and horrible to talk about it July but, if the Fan does get the Leaf radio rights it seems to me that Dunleavy and Stellick are being set up to do the games. Maybe someone else has already mentioned this but me thinks that’s where there going.

Dave from the suburbs
Dave from the suburbs
July 9, 2011 9:38 pm

Gerry (BUrlington) said…
———————————-
Once went to see this guy on a referral from a friend. The guy was an arrogant a-hole. Spent the whole time chatting up pretty girls and brushed me off to some lackey.

Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy!

Mike
July 9, 2011 11:50 pm

My Neighbour knows him very well, and loves the guy, but all I know is that cajoled/conned/coerced a staff member to mule for him into the US, an act that could get the person 5 years of Federal time. He knew he was being watched and screwed over his staff member and friend, and that makes him a POS.

Hope he enjoys the inside and his room mate LuckyBoy.

Steve (in Hamilton)
Steve (in Hamilton)
July 10, 2011 1:35 am

I see Rob Ford was back on TSN for his football gig: I wonder if they asked him his view on the controversial Argos ad from this week. I would be curious about his position on domestic violence….

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
July 10, 2011 5:30 am

Mike Hogan on TSN radio Sat/Sun 11-3 great guests,great radio.Shows how good radio can be when it is not 50% listener phone calls.

Plebian Slob
Plebian Slob
July 10, 2011 2:37 pm

That argo ad wasn’t controversial it was just a way of Mike Layton getting some press in true Layton family fashion, appealing to their left-wing false outrage crowd(just the same with some on the right as well). I wonder who accidentally leaked his letter to the argos to the media, probably his own staff. Perhaps this would have been an issue if the ad was placed in a lobby of a women’s shelter, but it was a huge stretch to link the ad with domestic violence.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
July 10, 2011 3:33 pm

@Plebian, agree with you absolutely. I just don’t understand how this “political correctness” has such outstretched tentacles. Granted the Argos didn’t use their best judgement, but please. For this to be a City Councillor action point is beyond me. How many people really called in to complain. Given how much good PR the Argos have done in recent years they certainly didn’t deserve this. To me this just reeks of politically motivated correctness as opposed to a public outcry. Wouldn’t by chance be a councillor opposed to Rob Ford and his Football ties would it?

PBI
PBI
July 10, 2011 3:56 pm

I agree Sam, the TSN weekend shows are very well done, whether it’s Hogan or the other guy Matt something.

I don’t know if it’s the fact that the weekend is such a blackhole for local sports talk or the fact that some effort is actually put into these shows but they are very solid. I wish they had Hogan and Matt something on the weekday overnights because I’d prefer an alternative to Sammut or Rumack who are awful.

Mike in Burlington
July 10, 2011 8:11 pm

I always liked Hogey on the FAN and think he got jobbed last year when he was fired. Blair is nowhere near as good a host, and I now turn off the FAN in the morning.

I though Hogey would be a good replacement Bobcat in the longer term, but ROGERS thought otherwise. Hogey doing live overnights I would listem to, the Jeff guy they have now, 2 hours was it, that all I could listen to.