The End Of The Bill Watters Show?

Greetings from Baltimore.

So, I’ve been telling you for some time that I can’t believe the Bill Watters show has much more life left. The show, as best as I can remember, has gone through, Merek, Brady, Hayes Sr., Hayes Jr. Raplh and countless other co-hosts over the years. With TSN radio on the scene the show has quickly become an after thought in the market place.

I have been told by reliable sources that the very end is near for the Watters show. In fact, multiple sources are telling me that Friday will be the last of the Bill Watters show with Arlene Bynon taking over on Monday, moving from her current mid-day slot.

Does this mean the end of Wilbur? No. Watters will be used as he should have been for, oh, I don’t know, the last couple of years anyways, as the Leafs voice on other shows across the Corus radio network. Look for him to appear on Oakley and other shows when there is Leafs news.

The problem I have had with Watters over the years is that they have over used him trying to pull every ounce out of the insanely high contract they gave him years ago. Instead of being opinionated and a guy you wanted to hear when news broke, he was completely over-used and over-exposed. He also became totally stale and predictable.

Let’s see what happens over the next couple of days. I’m headed to Washington DC for a few days before returning home.

Brad
Brad
July 12, 2011 7:37 pm

Long time voyeur..first time poster..I love this site!!
Also on Friday, put his contract at Sportsnet to bed too.
The Hockey Central Show needs a complete makeover. Millard, Kypreos, MacLean, Watters, Shannon…all need to go. It has become a snooze fest. Revamp it with fresh new hosts and it should do fine going up against TSN.

Brad

July 12, 2011 8:15 pm

The writing was pretty much on the wall for this show when The Fan signed Brady away. I remember before that time there was a sense on this board that Brady might challenge McCown one day.

What a great move by The Fan in retrospect. Turned around their morning show, while basically rendering their biggest competition (at the time) irrelevant.

mario
mario
July 12, 2011 8:17 pm

Too bad.. was a fan of him before he made it big on radio as the GM of the leafs heared on the Fan quite a bite…and before as co-host with McCowan.. was kind of like Burke in a sence either you likes him or you did’ent he always had a well thought out opinion.. as you said was over used and quickly became stale…as for now if he is still on dose the mean 640 keeps the leafs radio right for the last year of their contract?..

Mike
Mike
July 12, 2011 9:28 pm

Well it looks like Bill Watters time in this market is up. IF he is used as you say as a contributer to Derringer In The Morning on Q107 and The John Oakley Show on 640 Toronto then it could be okay for listeners. It just shows how 640 is a station with no vision. Are they a sports station or a news station ? They can’t seem to figure it out… I wouldnt mind Bill used sparingly with Steve Kouleas on his radio program That’s Hockey 2Day on TSN Radio 1050!

Al
Al
July 12, 2011 9:41 pm

He made some comment today about looking for work as of three weeks ago, which I found odd. I guess this explains that decision.

Roger
Roger
July 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Speaking of rumours the one I recently heard was that Bell was going to go after MLS&E.

Most of the talk been Rogers buying the empire but here’s the plan by Bell: Once they acquire it they would spin off most of the holdings of MLS&E but keep the Leafs, TFC and the ACC.

The other big idea they have is to acquire the TV and radio rights for Leaf Saturday night games when the HNIC contract expires. This way, the Leafs/Bell would receive more than their one-seventh share – the current agreement with the other Canadian teams. Its a win for Bell, the Leafs and most importantly, its a loss for their only competitor, Rogers. The other Cdn teams would enter into a contract with either CBC or Rogers for their Saturday night games. The Leaf games would be shown on CTV and TSN would cover the other weeknight games.

I know it sounds a bit wacky, but just remember where you first read about it.

Nick
Nick
July 12, 2011 9:57 pm

I always liked Bill when he was on the Fan but he was overused at 640 and his act grew old quick. His hatred towards MLSE especially Peddie was a bit too much.

By the way has anyone downloaded “the gist of it” podcast from iTunes? It features Don Landry and Hayes Sr. talking about everything from sports to politics. Not bad and you know I actually miss Landry’s sense of humour.

July 13, 2011 3:08 am

If they do pull the plug on Wilbur’s show I guess we can add it to the list of shows that have tried to go up against McCown and eventually given up…………..many people (including me) like to take shots at McCown and PTS from time to time but it’s hard to deny that he has a great ability to survive and thrive when faced with competition

Sam in Oshawa
July 13, 2011 5:46 am

In small doses he is great.Became odd to look at on tv the past couple of years.sportsnet is doing the same thing with kyprios and maclean,they have become buffoon like parodies.When Bill is focusted on the analysis he is enjoyable to listen to.What has become of great housecleaning at sportsnet?anybody.

robinaurora
robinaurora
July 13, 2011 8:19 am

Sam is Oshawa nailed it. I agree totally – especially on the MacLean Kypreos part. SN’s hockey coverage is a joke.

Gord Harris Sucks
Gord Harris Sucks
July 13, 2011 8:41 am

@ Roger, i hope and pray you are right and Bell gets MLSE. This will mean not only the end of listening to the god awful Greg Millen on Rogers Sportsnet but TSN has a far better high def cable quality picture than Sportsnet. Additionaly ROBBERS customers will be a little less worried about being bilked and nickle and dimed with price increases if ROBBERS buys MLSE.

As far as 640’s so called program director Gord Harris goes he should be fired! Letting Jeff Marek leave the Watters show as soon as it started to the competition @ CBC was a total joke and now Sportsnet has signed Marek. Arlene Bynan? LMAO the only reason to listen to 640 now is Coast to Coast AM.

The Greg Brady nutswingers are also a joke. Brady is arrogant & annoying as all hell! Brady FAILED to make a dent vs McCown…Brady FAILED with HockeyCentral as ratings fell…and when the real important ratings come out in the fall Brady will be looking for a new gig, hopefully back in Detroit, like that other hack the FAN just dumped Andrew Krystal.

Steve from Waterloo
Steve from Waterloo
July 13, 2011 10:30 am

Wilbur’s hatred for all things about MLSE above the GM level was really interesting to hear, at first – then it seemed to work away at his credibility so much so that I ceased to listen.

Greg
Greg
July 13, 2011 11:40 am

Roger – Silly Bell rumour. I don’t think its a secret that one of Rogers or Bell would buy. But none of what you claim Bell wants to do can happen unless Tanenbaum is also willing to sell his shares. (Also, who would want to buy the Raptors only to pay rent to Bell for the ACC? There is probably not enough money to be made in basketball in Canada unless you own all the revenue streams and tie it to the leafs).

Roger
Roger
July 13, 2011 11:49 am

Greg,

Bell would sell off the Raps fairly cheaply. As a lone entity, the raps can make money. They’re the only basketball franchise in the country, and thus receive all money from TV rights. Despite their lousy record of late, basketball is growing in popularity among Canada’s young (both boys and girls).

The reason Bell would sell it would be simply to lessen their cost/investment in MLS&E. There are investors in this city who would want to grab it, at a good price of course.

Sean
Sean
July 13, 2011 3:18 pm

“Well, I’m at a loss. The only… you’ve got to look through his statistics, he’s got some offensive flair, he is not what you would call a rugged, truculent, testosteronic, guy… He’s more of a 3rd of July parade guy.”

If thats what Bill Watters wants to contribute to afternoon radio, then I have no interest in listening. What a joke this guy has become.

Roger
Roger
July 14, 2011 11:16 am

Sean,

Oh my God! The nerve of Watters to make an obscure gay reference. You and your fellas really have try and not be soooo sensitive. Relax and go have another cosmo.

Having said that, he’ll likely be canned. You can’t even slightly insult one of the big 4 even if it is funny.

Stumack
Stumack
July 14, 2011 11:53 am

If Bell acquires the MLSE shares and elects to offload the Raptors, they won’t be staying in Toronto. The NBA has about as much interest in a Canadian franchise as MLB does now. A move to Seattle would be rubber stamped in a heartbeat.

Dave from the suburbs
Dave from the suburbs
July 14, 2011 2:45 pm

@Roger…

You’re such a homophobe.

Any “ignore mode” here?

Roger
Roger
July 14, 2011 3:21 pm

OH no, I’m a homophobe – so original. I thought you people were supposed to be creative.

Sam in Oshawa
July 14, 2011 3:45 pm

Roger im not going to say you are a homophobe at all but on the other hand the days of those kinds of remarks should be behind us,oops i think i just did it to.Please leave me out of the creative sect,i just have many random thoughts…

Sean
Sean
July 14, 2011 6:39 pm

Ive said it before and will say it agian, dont feed the troll.

Starve him and he will go elsewhere for attention.

Insider
Insider
July 14, 2011 9:14 pm

Nice to know that the slackers at PPP worked hard to talk to Watters’ unpaid interns, people who deliver his mail, a guy who once sold him a car and, without any comment from him, they declare an Internet fatwah on his homophobia. Good work on your “Internet Revenge” campaign. You are truly 2011’s Rosa Parks. Brave, brave bloggers! Huzzah!

dennes7
dennes7
July 15, 2011 9:50 am

Hmmm…I wonder what Arlene Bynon knows about sports?

Sean
Sean
July 15, 2011 1:38 pm

I sent Watters an emial, yet to get a responce.

The Program Director did get back to me fairly quickly to b fair.

William
William
July 15, 2011 3:50 pm

If you look at Arlene Bynon’s page of the 640 website (http://www.640toronto.com/HostsandShows/ArleneBynon/Main.aspx), it’s already got her listed as weekdays 4-7pm.

Guess that’s all the confirmation we need — and the Chorus web guy wanted to get an early start on his weekend!

July 16, 2011 6:45 pm

I’m looking forward to TSM‘s eventual breakdown of this story.

The perception is that Watters used a slur against homosexuals to criticize a hockey player. If true, that is unacceptable.

It would be great to hear some quotes from other people in the industry on how they would handle a similar incident.

Sean
Sean
July 16, 2011 10:10 pm

Even if we take him at his word, that the comment was that he was a soft player who prefers parties to hockey (who believes that?), its this kind of analysis that has made Watters such a non factor in Toronto Sports.

Everyone from Dreger to Cox praised the trade as a great move by Burke to take advantage of a team that needed financial flexibility (think about that one, even Cox gave the deal praise).

Watters is so bitter towards the organization that he cant see the positive in anything.

Sean
Sean
July 16, 2011 10:13 pm

Mike,

I hear a quote from Cox who said something along the lines of “I just wouldnt put myself in a position to be questioned”.

I think that thats a smart way to look at it. If there is a chance that someone could take it wrong, then dont go there.

Im guessing that Watters knows hes on the way out, so instead of watching what he says, hes just waiting to be put out to pasture.

John
John
July 22, 2011 5:50 pm

My dad and his friends around the age of 50+ are Bill Watters haters. Which I never understood because I’m from a younger generation. Apparently back in the old days his arrogance touched many people the wrong way. I don’t judge from past performances especially since I was not a part of that era.
His show brought me current information, insight and laughter. The player interviews were great. He was able to make a connection with the player and transfer it to me the listener. What more could I ask for?
Many co-stars came and went which disappointed me but Bill was always there. Near the end I was just beginning to like Jimmy Ralph. His off the wall humor and ability to simplify things kept Watters at bay. The chemistry was magical. As far as for homophobia …are you kidding? Anyone whose ever listened to the show on a regular basis knows Bill is a supporter of all sexual preferences as the issue was brought up years ago when Burke came to town.
I’m terribly saddened by the cancellation of the show. Every room in my apartment had a radio tuned in so I would not miss a moment. Now I’m left with silence between 4-7pm. I wouldn’t turn them off if they filled the time slot with someone interesting. I’m sorry but Arlene Bynon doesn’t do it for me. Never has and never will. Why they put her in that spot is beyond my comprehension when Mike Staford is a rock star and a half.
Tribes in Africa view and worship their elders as wise men. Cherishing the wisdom offered up with open ears. Here in North America the old folks are being put out to pasture by other old farts who think they know better.
Bill Watters still has a year left on his contract with the Corus network so I don’t expect he’ll be on any other airwaves anytime soon. I’m sure once he is a free man of legal obligations some alternative ‘spin off’ show will appear on another station. Can’t wait as many fans out there must also be looking for a hockey buzz kill fix.

Tom
Tom
August 23, 2011 2:16 am

Waters & Ralph were extremely enjoyable. They will be missed. I haven’t listened to that pompous ass Mccown for years & he is completely irrelevant to the T.O. sports scene.