Toronto Sports Media Sports Radio Lineups

Here’s are your drive home lineups

On Fan 590 Tonight-

Blair & Grange

4:00 Mike Wilner, Fan 590

4:20 Michael McCarthy, USA Today

5:20 Scott Mitchell, Ti Cats President

5:40 Dr. Daryl Rosenbaum, Wake Forest University

6:00 Doug MacLean, Sportsnet

6:20 Eric Tillman, Eskimos GM

6:41 Sheldon Hirsch, Author Of ‘The Beauty Of Short Hops’

There’s a chance Ricky Rock Romero joins us in the National hour…

On TSN Radio 1050

James Cybuski’s co-host is Sean McCormick

Malik Yoba – Actor (Alphas)

James Mirtle – Globe and Mail

Drayton Florence – Buffalo Bills

Ricky Romero – Toronto Blue Jays

On 640 with Jim Ralph and Bill Watters thanks to Mike S.:

4:45 – Dwayne Roloson (Tampa Bay Lightning Goalie)

5:05 – Adrian Dater (Denver Post)
5:25 – Chuck Fletcher (Minnesota Wild GM)
6:05 – Jonah Keri (ESPN.com)
6:25 – Tim Connolly (Toronto Maple Leafs Forward)

Tim and Sid Uncut:

The Best of Pizzo’s Updates.

Sea Bass
Sea Bass
July 12, 2011 5:41 pm

TSN and the Fan have done nothing to stop people who actually like other sports than Hockey or other teams than the Leafs from finding alternatives, which isn’t that hard with satellite radio, internet radio, or listening to other markets like Buffalo.

Combined TSN and the Fan couldn’t make a varied and enjoyable lineup of hosts and guests on any given day. I am all for wanting better hosts and guests and topics, which is what alot of people talk about on these boards, but at some point you have to find something that is just better – Dan Patrick (yes I know he is on TSN Radio but my point is that local talent should step up to the plate), Jim Rome, Tony Bruno, ESPN Radio, Fox Sports Radio (though somewhat abrasive), Sporting News Radio, WFAN in NYC…..they are all light years ahead of what we hear in Toronto, and there is no reason for it.

Unfortunately the program directors cater to the vocal yet lowest common denominator sports fans and that usually means nothing but Hockey and Leafs, and I know that Toronto is a market that has lots of interest in the other major sports (too much Soccer and MMA in my opinion too). The other problem is talent, or the lack thereof. They may be nice guys or inoffensive, but the requirements must be pretty low for alot of these guys to get on the air (I won’t go into all the names but that’s most of the on-air talent in this city).

TSN Radio has actually done the opposite for me. It has shown how limited and insular sports radio is and what program directors and hosts think of sports fans is in this city.

Sam in Oshawa
July 12, 2011 6:03 pm

Sea Bass has articulated the problem in this market better than i but carry my sentiments exactly,well done.

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
July 12, 2011 6:13 pm

@ Sea Bass FANTASTIC comment!!

Sam in Oshawa
July 12, 2011 6:26 pm

eric tillman on PTS gropped a teenage babysitter and is welcome with open arms on the air FOB,he was never held accountable by the media here.grange and blair should be ashamed of themselves bob dosent care the fan 590 ditto i will turn the station shame,shame..

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
July 12, 2011 8:39 pm

That whole situation was bizzarre. I think one has to also question the CFL here as well. I believe if that same scenario plays out in the NFL he isn’t back in the league ever. I have no idea of the details aside from what coul be read online. But for the whole I was on medication as a partial excuse, I thought the whole thing was treated as an afterthought. No doubt, I heard that first time he was on back on Fan590 with Bob and I have lobbed slopitches in my beer league that were much harder to hit.

Very serious topic and just not sure I ever felt like the league or media treated this like they would have it was a player in the league accused/charged etc… with the same thing.

Mike on the go train
July 12, 2011 9:58 pm

Sea bass And I are doing the same thing. I listen to 2X as much sports radiio as I used to in 2005, but I listen to the Fan maybe a third as much I used to. My iPhone has tunedin radio, best app ever, literally 1000 options, plus we have 550 and 1050 now, ESPN.com etc. Etc…

The Fan can keep attracting all the call in fans they want, I’ve taken my 18-49 white male ears and moved on to more rounded sports stations.

Tom
Tom
July 12, 2011 10:22 pm

yet despite all the complaints about the fan, all the changes over the past year or so, the station has actually gone up in popularity according to ratings according to dowbigginn’s column. So will anyone actually make a dent in them?? i prefer my jim rome everyday

Mike on the go train
July 12, 2011 11:42 pm

Tom, you are correct, but tsn only launched on April and this is not a sprint but a marathon. I know the Fan will hold the lead for the likely the next year or more, but tsn is not the Team and this is not 2001.

I suspect the rating will be very different in a few months when the sports audience has time to sample their options.

Sponge Bob
Sponge Bob
July 13, 2011 12:12 am

Think about this for a minute. Does anyone think for a minute the Toronto market could afford anyone like a Dan Patrick, Tony Bruno, or Jim Rome? Why is Dan Shulman not on the radio in Toronto, doing a full-time, day – to – day shift anymore? I am guessing WFAN likely makes more money than all the sports stations in this country combined. What if any of us became the best at whatever it is we do? Don’t you think a worldwide company would come calling? Why is Ali Velshi on CNN? Why isn’t he still in Toronto? Why doesn’t Peter Jennings host a national newscast in Canada? Exactly.

Steve (in Hamilton)
Steve (in Hamilton)
July 13, 2011 1:26 am

Boy, some of you guys sound really bitter.

I still listen to the FAN a lot when I am driving. I have my complaints with it, but I still like it for the most part. My biggest complaint with TSN is still related to the production values and reception.

David
David
July 13, 2011 10:48 am

Granted the Fan is not perfect and has issues, but name a radio station that doesn’t.

TSN radio so far has not really been much competition; Mike Richards is ok but probably needs a co-host. Cybulski and Co. is very sophmoric and difficult to listen to. I loved Bruce Arthur when he was on the Fan, but I don’t think Cybulski is good for him.

I listen more to WGR550 then I do TSN radio.

Mike on the go train
July 14, 2011 12:04 am

Toronto is a huge media market, but let’s be clear about comparing Toronto to any American city. This is an NHL hockey town and little else, the jays and raptors areittle more then window dressing outside this market. The success of ESPN is that aim at a national market , a market that attracts guys like me that don’t care that whatshisname missed a pass with 3 minutes left in the second period, but prefer an overall view. There’s room for both I think , but the audience for each is different and the gap gets bigger every dAy. The fan wants the local guy, but I’ve heard this show before and moved on.

Sam in Oshawa
July 14, 2011 8:02 am

Peter Jennings died afew years back.If he could host ashow from where he is now that would great broadcasting.just another random thought.