It’s Official Watters Show Yanked

As I told you I was hearing long ago, Friday was the swan song for Bill Watters daily radio show. This had NOTHING to do with his homophobic slur (he spills slurs all the time). Wilbur will be on leaf pre-game shows on 640 (Assuming 640 keeps leafs rights)

More later

July 18, 2011 5:24 pm

I was out of town last week so I was not able to tune in for Wilbur’s last show

If anyone heard it please let me know what it was like………….did they just do a normal show and not talk about the fact that it was the last show?………….or was it more of a reflective show?

For a show that was only on the air for a few years it’s amazing how many different co-hosts Wilbur had (Marek, Brady, Hayes, Son of Hayes, Jim Ralph)

Sean
Sean
July 18, 2011 6:02 pm

Two years to late, but at least the deed is done.

Tom
Tom
July 18, 2011 7:04 pm

Wilbur was nothing more than a co-host on his own show. Now…The Summer of Bynon. Does 640 have anything to listen for now?

Con
Con
July 18, 2011 9:19 pm

Spaceman

Chris F.
Chris F.
July 19, 2011 7:57 am

I agree I don’t think anything was said about it being the last show.

Oh and hey! I like Bynum she’s a good personality. At least she doesn’t drive me up the wall the way Oakley does from time to time 🙂

Anywho, this was a move done a couple years too late. Watters seemed to be a co-host at best after the first year. I always used to joke that it was (insert host name) show with “host” Bill Watters.

Steve from Waterloo
Steve from Waterloo
July 19, 2011 10:02 am

Waters represents a different time in Leaf land. Pat Quinn, Tucker, Corson and all the ownership issues. As time wore on, he became irrelevant and continued to reference that era.

At least they won more games than they lost in that era…

Mike in Burlington
July 19, 2011 1:30 pm

Everything in media has a cycle, incliding Watters. Todays fickle consumer make the run of the old timers even more amazing (see BobCat, Stern and Imus). To me, Watters was the old guy on the street who yelled at the kids to stay off his lawn…Even Bobcat has become a cranky old guy, in the last year or so its “in my 35 years in this business…” and now he softballs all the GMs with stuff a newborn could hit. Kinda sad to see actually, he used to ask questions fans wanted to ask, but now, its clearly the party line…

RJ
RJ
July 19, 2011 4:08 pm

A little late, but just a comment on Watters’ homophobic slur on Franson: straight guys should be more offended than us gays if it’s that easy for someone to be implied as being gay when they are not. If Franson is gay it’s not much of an insult, but if he’s straight he’s right to be offended. Which straight NHLer will be the next to be so lablled? Good riddance to a not-to-be-missed dinosaur.

AP
AP
July 19, 2011 9:13 pm

I have to say, Watters and Jim Ralph were absolutely GREAT. It was probably mostly Ralph, but every interview they did, they would get the person to loosen up, and they’d have a conversation like you’d have at a bar. All kinds of fun and jokes. Just really enjoyable.

640 is fine….Oakley and Stafford kick ass. Bynon is good, but not worth an evening show. I just flip the dial during commercials.

SuperHero
SuperHero
July 20, 2011 7:32 am

I enjoyed the Watters show but the show was doomed as soon as 640 let Jeff Marek leave to the competition as soon as it started.

I find the fact that 640 has not informed Watters show supporters why the show is no longer on air rude and arrogant.

Drumanchor
Drumanchor
July 20, 2011 8:20 am

When Watters was a personality on The Fan, back in the days of 1430, I think, I always enjoyed listening to him. He was someone to admire – a former (college) athlete who bettered himself through education and hard work and who had some obvious success. That showed through his work on radio and he was a pleasure to listen to.

He then moved on to the Leafs and was still someone to admire as he seemed to easily slip into his new role in life as an assistant GM to a very popular sports franchise that was doing quite well. When he was interviewed on The Fan, again, to me he was informative, educated and entertaining. I liked him.

Then he got fired.

He also never got that coveted GM position that it appeared he felt should have fallen into his lap.

Thus, he became a bitter, bitter man.

When I used to listed to Leafs Lunch I found him, at times, completely unlistenable. Every single day – and I am not kidding – he would go on a rant against his former employers at MLSE. It was embarrassing to the various hosts of the show, too. (I once called a producer and he got mad at ME about it.)

Anyway, to make a long story even longer, it seems that AM640 was saddled with him. He, clearly, was paid very handsomely and they wanted to get ever nickel worth out of it. That is why he was so overexposed.

So, now a guy who had his own radio show and was on national television is now up at his cottage with “the duchess”. Quite the fall from grace. I’m hoping his bitterness subsides and he doesn’t just sit and stew in negativity and alcohol. This won’t end well if he does.

SuperHero
SuperHero
July 20, 2011 9:29 am

Dear Mr Moderator!

GO FUCK YOURSELF AND YOUR CRAPPY WEBSITE.