Toronto Sports Media Morning Drive Lineups

Here’s your drive lineup for your listening enjoyment this am:

On 590 with Gord Stellick co-hosting with Jim Lang

Pat Hentgen, Bullpen Coach of the Toronto Blue Jays
Mike Babcock, Head Coach of the Detroit Red Wings
Arash Madani, Sportsnet Reporter live from Cooperstown
Clifton Brown, NFL Writer for Sporting News

On TSN radio with Mike Richards
Chris Schultz
Matt Dunigan
Buck Pierce
Gil Scott
Scott Ferguson

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 23
  • comment-avatar
    Roger 9 years ago

590’s love affair for anything Blue Jays related continues. I can’t listen anymore.

Yes, we know Gillick and Alomar (can’t get over how he horked in an umpire’s face) are going to the hall but the Jays are in 4th place, 10 and half games back with no hope for this year and probably the next decade.

I know Rogers owns both the Jays and 590 but outside of a few hard core Jays’ fans, no one cares.

Darrell 9 years ago

I agree partly with Roger (above). Rogers does seem to really want to toot the Blue Jays horn on anything and heaven forbid someone actually criticize the Blue Jays organization (looking at Mike Wilner’s direction).

However I don’t know how old you are Roger – but Pat Gillick, Roberto Alomar & Joe Carter are reasons why this franchise achieved greatness. Kids 12 and under don’t even remember who these guys are.

Steve (in Hamilton) 9 years ago

He “horked” in the umpire’s face because Alomar perceived that Hirschbeck said something racist toward him. I think a lot of anti-Alomar statements are based on a similarly latent and subtle racism.

Hirschbeck forgave Alomar and now they are good friends. Get over it.

The spitting stays so strong in the minds of some people, I think, because it is a convenient excuse to call someone down. Gregg Zaun was named as a steroid cheat in the Mitchell report – isn’t that worse than spitting?

Soory for the tirade, but I get tired of the lame references to the spitting incident.

• comment-avatar

The hall of fame should be a big deal. It has nothing to do with the Jays performance this year and critisism of that performance (or lack thereof). In any other baseball market this would be even a bigger story (2 cornerstones of the franchise entering the hall in the same year).

For some reason people here want to hear about offseason hockey for a team that has not made the playoffs in ages. If anything, TSN’s coverage of this event is minimized simply because the team is owned by Rogers.

Darrell 9 years ago

The team (the Blue Jays) are a disaster now (I am a Yankees fan) but they were greatness in the late 80’s and early 90’s.

The Toronto Blue Jays from 1985 to `93 were and are the greatest sports team in Toronto over the past 25 years. What have the Leafs won lately? What about the Raps? Nothing.

Roger 9 years ago

So Steve, horking in someone’s face is an appropriate response to some supposedly using a racist word??? Why didn’t Alomar respond in kind or perhaps throw a punch at the Ump? Instead, he cowardly spat in the ump’s face – which is the last thing the ump was expecting.

No question, Alomar was a great player but suffered and still has to this day, personal issues (should I bring up the whole issue of him infecting girlfriends with HIV?) oops I just did. He belongs in the Hall but lets not deify him. That’s all.

• comment-avatar

There are many great players that are horrible people in the hall. Like everyone, Alomar has some character flaws but that should not take away from the fact that the media should be covering this story big time (including what Alomar meant to baseball in Toronto).

William 9 years ago

Couldn’t disagree more, Roger. I saw a press release the other day from Sportsnet saying that the Jays TV broadcasts this season are averaging just over 500,000. That’s a huge number considering the team plays every night. Obviously someone is watching.

Darrell 9 years ago

As a player on the diamond – Alomar played out of his mind, especially in Toronto.

As a human being – he did do some questionable things (i.e. sitting out nights to keep his .300 batting average intact, the HIV thing, the Hirschbeck thing).

Mike V 9 years ago

What else is there to talk about in the middle of July?

Rob in Aurora 9 years ago

Get over the spitting incident. If the ump forgave him and Alomar said he regretted doing it, it’s over. There is a murderer playing in the NFL and a rapist in the NBA. The are considered huge stars and no one keeps bringing those past crimes up.

Alomar is perhaps the most talented all around 2nd baseman to ever play the game – anywhere I mean – hitting, speed and defense all factored in.

The MLB HOF has many honoured members who committed worse crimes than Alomar. (And when you think of it Babe Ruth and a bunch of others got their members honoured a lot more than Alomar ever did, so we should leave all that alone too)

William + 1.

Not sure why Roger has a hard on for hating the Jays, but its pretty safe to say the Jays are a solid #2 in the city. The level of Jays talk is appropriate. Its not even that much, really.

Plus – Its not like its coming at the expense of hockey talk (The Fan has tons of that). Its July, man.

Chris F. 9 years ago

I have no problem with the amount of Jays talk and hey I LIKE the abundance of talk about Alomar and Gillick. I grew up a big fan of the Jays and still am. Those two along with Stieb, Carter, and others were guys I loved and most everyone in this city loved.

BTW I wouldn’t call the team a disaster either. The Blue Jays aren’t the Pirates who until this year were out of it in MAY! At least the Jays for the most part have been in shouting distance til July and a couple years they’ve been in shouting distance in early sept. (the Tim Johnson year ironically was the closest they got to the playoffs again)

I do agree that the folks on The Fan defend the organization just a bit too much but that’s natural when you’re dealing with a media outlet that is owned by the same entity that owns the baseball team. I doubt the people on YES are any better when it comes to the Yankees. I still think this team is heading in the right direction and expect a pretty big expenditure on players for the ’12 season. If not, then i’ll be just as disillusioned as some of you are right now.

Al from Burlington 9 years ago

Sorry, but I dig all the Jays talk. I like the way this team is going, and I glad they play in the AL East.
    Alomar and Gillick are icons in Torornto, and when was the last time we had two guys going into any HOF so let’s enjoy this.
    Dating myself, but I was a kid in Kirkland Quebec in the late 60’s until mid 70’s, and I sure miss the Expos. Rusty Staub and Mack Jones, Jarry Park with the old O’Keefe Ale scoreboard….

Mike V 9 years ago

Here is the press release William referenced http://www.channelcanada.com/Article5871.html.
    I’m actually surprised that Rogers hasn’t been touting this more (this is the first release I’ve seen since the one announcing the home opener drew over 1,000,000 and it’s buried below the ASG number), a 29% increase y/y is huge. Not sure if it’s because of Bautista, the improved production or what but those are strong numbers for a team that plays nearly everyday.
    I also see that a Jays’ game have also topped all CFL games for 2 of the first 3 weeks of the season, think that might have happened once or twice all last season. Those are national audiences too, safe to say the difference is greater in the GTA.

Steve 9 years ago

Roger, what, pray tell, should they be talking about on the fan? The jays are the only game in town right now. Surely not the Leafs.

• comment-avatar

I wonder if there is any team in baseball with such a dichotomy between attendance and TV ratings. I was there yesterday afternoon and the gate was only 23 000!

James 9 years ago

Its pretty insane to be upset over jays talk during the summer when they are the ONLY major team in the city (sorry, country) even in season currently. Insane.

You have to remember even though a lot of people might be pure puck heads, there are also fans of other sports, and more importantly fans of local franchises.

I would be pissed if rogers didn’t cover them at least this much. And like many have said in most markets the jays past and present would be a MUCH bigger story.

In fact numerous comments recently complain of too much hockey talk….during the off season! It seems to me roger is doing and saying anything to start an e-fight over nothing.

Shame on me for responding however fairly and honestly, feeding classic troll behaviour. I respect opinions but seriously, I highly doubt Roger even really believe half of what he says.

• comment-avatar

If the question is the level of coverage of the Jays by Rogers media in July, I wonder how it compares to Leaf coverage by the same outlets in February. I do not find it over the top. Like others who have commented here, I think they miss natural opportunities to increase the visibility. As a ball fan I actually would enjoy expanding beyond Jays coverage to look at wider view across MLB but not at the expense of the local franchise.

However, if the question is the nature of the coverage it seems to be slowly changing where questions regarding the direction of the team and personnel decisions have started to come out. I believe this is being driven by Anthopoulos’ vastly different manner in dealing with the media from his predecessor, so that they are buying in to the program and cutting some slack. This does not extend to the players however where there is far more balance.

Interestingly Toronto (24), Baltimore(25) and Tampa(27) are all in the bottom 20% in average attendance. As for the dichotomy between ratings growth and in stadium attendance, I think TSM and Simmons covered that pretty well earlier this week. It would be interesting though to understand how this looks across baseball.

Finally, I think Darrell said it best about Alomar. However, the Hall of Fame is about his on field exploits. They were spectacular and worthy of his current lionizing for his play as a Blue Jay. This is not the time to focus on his personal life and do we really expect Rogers to do anything but what they are doing when arguably the best player in their franchise history is admitted to the Hall of Fame. Would be an interesting spot on a Jays broadcast to say Alomar as a player we loved ya but as a person not so much … really it ain’t going to happen nor should it in my opinion.

• comment-avatar

Sorry for the late bump, been busy…

Chris, you can’t compare Pittsburgh and Toronto. The Pirates are owned by the Nutting family, weathly yes, but not Rogers rich. They are also in the 23rd or 24th biggest market in North America in the “rust belt”. The Jays are owned by a 12Billion dollar company with 3Billion in profit in each of the past 3 years and play in the 5th biggest media market (more then 2x the size) in North America.

Pittsburgh can’t compete, but the Jays choose not to compete. They have enormous resources at their disposal, as much as the Yankees do, but they choose to spend their money elsewhere in their corporate plan. They know they can’t compete with a 65M payroll and are fine with that, but the Pirates can’t usually compete because they simply lack the resources beyond the 45M for payroll this year given their ownership and location.

The Jay choose to not compete, that is the choice the ownership has made for years.They are more interested in making profoit off the team then winning and that’s fine, lets all just be upfront about it…

• comment-avatar

PS…Alomar may have been a douchebag off the field, but then Ty Cobb bragged about beating a guy to death after a game one night. Lots of guys in the HOF are scumbags, but that’s not what the HOF is about.

Steroid guys are not gettting in, their sins were on the field and it will be sad when the guys holding all the big records aren’t in the HOF because they juiced…sorry Bud Light…

Steph 9 years ago

If you dislike what’s on a radio station, then turn it off? Doesn’t seem to difficult

Steve (in Hamilton) 9 years ago

Haven’t seen anybody anywhere deify Alomar. I don’t know whether he is a great human being, but I do know that he was an outstanding ballplayer, and most of the charges against him seem churlish and borderline racist (re: Hirschbeck) or are thus far unsubstantiated (re: salacious details about his private life).

I don’t know any athlete who is worth deifying (Arthur Ashe?), but Robbie provided some great memories and is one of the reasons I loved watching baseball. If a spit is what you remember, so be it – I won’t let your memories influence mine.