gotta love the national post!

Got this email today from the fine folks from the National Post:

“TorontoSportsMedia.comYou are using a National Post image without permission or any licensing agreement in place. As well, you have used our content without proper attribution to National Post. This constitutes a willful infringement of copyright by essentially stealing our content.  Please either enter into a licensing agreement for our content or remove the National Post content immediately. Neither action will excuse you from possible other legal measures, but may be taken into consideration if acted upon immediately.National Post Photo DepartmentS”

This is the photo:

Breaking – Jonas Siegel to Bolt 640 for TSN

Fyi- I’m up in the sticks, so won’t have cells to post until tomorrow night

COMMENTS

WORDPRESS: 13
  • comment-avatar
    mike (in boston) 9 years ago

which was the offending image. perhaps you could link to it?

it seems kind of petty to go after a blog, but images are not really a key aspect of this site anyway.

mike (in boston) 9 years ago

also, since it wasn’t really discussed here, what do people think of the new Jets logos? you can see them here

while they are understated, this is a welcome change from the cartoonish logos we have seen in the last decade. i look forward to seeing what they do for a 3rd jersey.

• comment-avatar

These are the same shits that took a friend of mine’s photo from Flickr and published it without any notice, and then took months to compensate him afterward?

That’s fucking rich.

Chris F. 9 years ago

Hm, aren’t most of the photos used by newspapers these days done by wire services?

Oh well…

BTW the Jets logo and brand is pretty good though they’re quite overtly militaristic. It looks like something a Canadian Armed Forces team would wear at a charity hockey game!

• comment-avatar

The Jets logos (all 3 of them) suck as much as the National Post.

• comment-avatar

Given the dismal circulation figures of the National Post I’m surprised they would put up a fuss…if I was them I’d want as much exposure as possible given that their content is patently unsatisfying to the public.

I also consider the Jets logo to be over-the-top militaristic. Imagine the uproar if an American team had a fighter jet on it’s logo? The negative reaction would be extraordinary from the Canadian press.

Steve 9 years ago

Here’s the pic on the national post Website credited to Peter J. Thompson and the National Post. I’m a little unclear what you’re objecting to, TSM. I’m not up on my copyright law. Are you suggesting your use is “fair dealing” (fair use) usage of their photo? Or perhaps it’s just that you’re a small fish and they’re a big fish?

Sam In Scarb 9 years ago

Have not looked at National Post in a couple of years (I Don’t have a pet)
    Come Monday I will purchase a copy flip threw the sports section write down the large advertisers AND MAKE SURE i NEVER EVER PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THEM AGAIN !!

• comment-avatar

Oh contre mon frere(my french sucks i dont even know what that means),anyway i would take this as a huge compliment TSM you are rocking the main stream keep up the good work.Jets log,Winnipeg has a rich heritage with the military i love.Wonder what Donald S. has to say-bet he is happy.

• comment-avatar

Am I the only one who has absolutely zero problem with the new Jets logos? I think they are very nice, not overly tacky or futuristic. They can certainly hang with the other Canadian logos, and it is probably better than Calgary’s. I don’t know why some people are in an uproar over the fighter jet either; there almost 90 years of Air Force tradition in Winnipeg. I’m not really a military guy, but this offends me in no way whatsoever.

Rob In Aurora 9 years ago

I like the logos. Their old one was very weak and would have been replaced by now if they never moved I am sure – if only to generate some revenue from Jersey, T-shirt and cap sales.

The name “Jet” was originally chosen — why? …(Anyone?… Anyone?)…

James 9 years ago

Is the logo supposed to make me think of air Canada?

Frankly it’s embarrassing for a nation that buys our jets second hand decades old for the most part and has a ridiculously small amount compared to the other NHL nation to have the logo like this.

Otherwise not bad.

Also I’d note that without this logo i never would have taken jets in a military sense…it makes way more sense for a canadian jets team to be more like…jets as in the players are fast. Or commercial jets, or something.