Out Of Touch

In case you missed it, the flavours in our Toronto papers are decidedly different. Lately, I’ve found the Toronto Star unreadable as it presents one biased story after another about the current mayor in Toronto. It makes me wonder who exactly reads the paper.

Personally, I’ve found that the politics of a paper have rarely dripped into the sports section, but with the likes of Damien Cox being away, it seems that the delusions of some of the Toronto writers have seeped in.

“I’m the wrong guy to ask about these sorts of adaptations, because I personally still feel burned that Hollywood managed to turn Lewis’s The Blind Side, a perfect football fan’s book (that I loved) about the evolution of the left tackle into a Sandra Bullock chick flick. Both of these based-on books are also sports nerd delicacies, but the results look to be candy-coated adaptations of their cores.

I’m baffled by the production questions — how do you turn 700-plus pages of These Guys into a palatable movie? — but I was not surprised to learn that Moneyball started out as a near-documentary that almost died in development until it was resurrected in its new cinematic interpretation. You can tell the studio heads fear a film falling into the “too sporty” niche category. “

Wow- slow news day?

This is the best a publication coverings sports media can do????

For those who didn’t pay attention, and not that the academy awards are a real thermometer of quality (see the English Patient), but the Blind Side did win at least one award. Personally, I thought it was a good movie.

As I read this piece in the Star I was reminded of the old adage, “if you don’t have anything good to say……….”

Happy holiday Monday.

Raptors Devotee
Raptors Devotee
August 1, 2011 11:18 am

Wow, talk about a timely article. Mere minutes ago I pointed out to my wife another in a long littany of Toronto Star articles out to defame the Mayor, this one that he has no interest in eliminating the defecit, just the public service jobs that Miller added.

To top it off, you ripped The English Patient, a movie my wife dragged me to fighting and screaming, and one of the rare movies I wanted to walk out on.

The Academy should be ashamed of itself for awarding it The Best Picture award in 1996. Granted, it was a weak year, up against Fargo, Shine, Jerry Maguire and Secrets and Lies, but having seen and enjoyed all of them except for Secrets and Lies, any of the other ones would have been a better choice.

My wife and I both thought The Blind Side was well done and entertaining. The Toronto Star’s only virtue IMO is when they do some undercover investigating reporting and expose things that benefit the public. What they are doing now in terms of stalking Ford is getting close to what is going on in England if they are not careful. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Chef Mike in Burlington
August 1, 2011 12:37 pm

My girlfriend at the end time loved that movie, she paid to see if six times, only 1 with me, and i nearly slit my wrists after the second hour, gawd it dragged on…

As for the Blind Side, it was fine, a good rental on a wet November Friday night between games….

Rob
Rob
August 1, 2011 5:00 pm

So true about The Star. Whatever happened to just reporting the news rather than adding a political slant to every story? Although The Star’s website is much easier on the eyes than the Sun. I can’t stand their new layout.

Chris F.
Chris F.
August 1, 2011 5:29 pm

The Star has always been left of center but it seems in the last 4-5 years it has gone way overboard. I don’t know if there was an overall editorial change or what but the paper has turned from reporting the news with a liberal slant to injecting opinion or decidedly biased reports against one subject or another.

It’s true that most of the time the political stuff doesn’t reach the sports section (in fact as a kid I used to read the Sun’s sports section religiously even though I didn’t agree with their news reporting) but it seems this story is dripping with politics.

Oh well…Another black mark on a once great newspaper which I used to put on a tier or two below the New York Times.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
August 1, 2011 5:39 pm

Since I moved to Ontario, I have heard many people refer the paper as the Red Star. Personally, I find it very curious how all media is always considered safe to favouur left leaning politics, but the minute someone favours right leaning politics they are polarized.

Can’t we leave it too our politicians to polarize themselves. Can the people of this country not be given old fashioned reporting, starting with the facts.

The fact this is now leaking into sports is completely perplexing to me. It is why I rarely read much of the newspapers themselves anymore. I view all the papers sports sections hoping to find something to read. With the Star, I find myself only reading Griffin.

Syn
Syn
August 1, 2011 7:37 pm

Facts don’t sell newspapers anymore, because the internet is too fast. Opinions sell newspapers. Uniformed amateur opinions sell even more newspapers because they are easier to digest.

Hockey Editor
Hockey Editor
August 1, 2011 10:17 pm

@Rob: Interesting idea. Perhaps the Sun and the Post should try it.

Josh O'Donnell
August 2, 2011 1:28 am

Mudhar’s article still beats the heck outta anything the sports media writer for The Globe (Dowbiggin) has written… ever. I miss Houston and Zelkovich though.

Roger
Roger
August 2, 2011 9:40 am

OK, since we’re talking politics within the media I’ll give my two cents. Of course the Star has always been and will continue to be the paper of the left. Unfortunately the Globe which was usually in the centre of all things political has recently jumped over to the left to join them. Rob Ford is the new Mike Harris for the Star and Globe and its going to be this way even years after he’s left office (a la Harris).

BTW, the only person worth reading at the Star was Zelkovich but since he’s gone, its got nothing.

Hockey Editor
Hockey Editor
August 2, 2011 4:00 pm

@Josh O’Donnell: agree regarding Dowbiggin.

@Roger: Funny, but I’m cranked off at the G&M because it’s shifted to the right. Rick Salutin disappeared from the op-ed page, John Barber (who was quite supportive of Mayor Miller) is no longer the city hall columnist, Murray Campbell isn’t the Queen’s Park columnist anymore. There’s more Peggy Wente on the op-ed, and Neil Reynolds is there now, too. New city hall columnist Marcus Gee wrote columns pleading with Rob Ford to run for mayor. The editorial page has supported the Tories in elections since 2006.

Tabber
Tabber
August 3, 2011 9:42 am

Too bad TSM doesn’t go with what he was told – if you don’t have anything good to say …. Also unfortunate that the truth is no lonoger acceptable for the right wingnuts – everything printed in the Star about Ford is based on truth, I guess if it were truthiness, it would be acceptable. It’ll be interesting to watch the deaths and poverty mount until it touches the right wingnuts, then watch all hell break loose as they realize what they’ve done – to themselves. Don’t worry, we lefties will come to your rescue again – although it is getting tired having to do so all the time when it’s your own damn fault. Remember who creates the debt (Cons) and who fixes it (lefties)?