Great Night Of Radio

Greetings from northern Ontario. Forgot to post this last night. I was driving up north last night and I got to hear a solid hour of PTS with McCown, Shannon, Jones and Friedman. It’s the first time in a long time I have sat and listened to an entire hour. I have to tell you that it was really good radio. When this group talks the business of sports it’s enjoyable. Shannon is not a good co-host. When he sits in on topics where he is knowledgeable, business and especially the business of media he is very good. The talk on franchise values and the difference on the owners in sports 15 years back vs. today was excellent.

Congrats to both TSN 1050 radio and to Bob Mackowycz will be joining 1050 as a co-host and providing years of experience on radio in general to and on Cybulski and Company.

More over the weekend.

Chris F.
Chris F.
August 6, 2011 6:41 pm

I agree when Bob & Co talk about the business side of sports it’s great listening. It’s a shame that Bob isn’t as comfortable with a straight TV presentation because I though this short lived show THE BUSINESS OF SPORTS was quality stuff.

As for 1050, nice to see them hiring a guy with a proven track record and if he’s on Cybulski’s show regularly he could give a good counter-balance to the extremes of being vanilla or being rather juvenile.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
August 6, 2011 6:58 pm

Does the addition of Bob Mackowycz perhaps mean less of Gareth Wheeler? If so I would then give this show another chance. How much longer until Brunt is back from the East Coast?

Lee (Oakville)
August 6, 2011 7:56 pm

I’m probably an Army of One on this front, but I have never considered McCown to be a “business of sports” expert. I’ve been in corporate finance for over 20 years and have been involved in financing and restructuring transactions for leagues and franchises alike. McCown’s knowledge is superficial, unsophisticated and lacking any real technical nuance. I think the reason that he has made his name in this area is because most of his peers are so unknowing in this area that he stands out simply by talking about it.

To claim that he is an “expert” is a misnomer and simply serves to underline how lacking knowledge of this important topic is within the sports media.

Chef Mike in Burlington
August 7, 2011 11:57 am

Thank you Lee! As much as I have enjoyed listening to Bob over the past 15 years or so, he does like to get on his high horse when it comes to sports financing and team economics and talk with an air of authority and knowledge on so many different subjects it seems unlikely it could be anything but superficial, but enough for his role as PTS host. That being said, in a show formatted like his, saying “they voted not to build a new building on Long Island…” is likely sufficient for 95% of his listening audience. While there are some that would like the full and proper discussion of the property tax implications of him to explain in detail the specifics of issuing of long term municipal debentures for building construction and the possible implications on their local credit rating and tax base, most of the audience would be bored, unless it was about Toronto.

August 7, 2011 2:31 pm

Hey Gerry…………Brunt usually returns from Newfoundland before Labour Day…………..that is when the key Fall radio ratings period starts…………McCown wil probably take two more weeks of vacation between now and then but you won’t see anyone in radio taking vacation after Labour Day

Sam In Scarb
Sam In Scarb
August 7, 2011 3:13 pm

We all vent about the problems in Toronto sports radio (ME INCLUDED)
So, big props to TSN/1050 Sunday morning .Two hours of Football Sunday with Hogan & Shultz just great radio.

Syn
Syn
August 7, 2011 4:05 pm

Bert Sugar talking about the advertising world of the 60s and 70s was very entertaining. It was much better than when they talk about boxing.

Sam
Sam
August 7, 2011 5:24 pm

@Syn – thanks for mentioning, I’ll have to go back and listen. Bert was on about 4 months ago (?) and him, McCown and Brunt (I think) probably had the best segment ever with him just talking about coming up in the advertising business…

Chris F.
Chris F.
August 7, 2011 5:59 pm

Syn and Sam, yeah that was one of the greatest segments in PTS history IMO. I only wish they could’ve had Sugar on for the full show and just shooting the breeze. I think that’d make for some compelling radio.

Chef Mike in Burlington
August 7, 2011 6:14 pm

…yeah, that episode was a classic, hearing a gruff old bugger like Sugar saying ” we were trying to find a word that rhymed with harmony for a Coke ad we were working on”… a song they’re still singing…classic…

Very happy to hear that Bob Mackowycz has a new gig. Cybulski really needs better hosts/guests if he is going to survive in that time slot.

Roger
Roger
August 8, 2011 8:42 am

I guess I’m in the minority in that I like Seam McCormick. I agree that Wheeler is annoying but how can a CBC radio reject be any improvement?

I don’t know much about Bob Jr but the only thing that I do know is that he’s buddies with Jeff Marek and Bob Strombo-mumble-opoulos – and that tells me something.

Rob in Aurora
Rob in Aurora
August 8, 2011 11:47 am

Roger – I agree totally…
Lee – I am with you too. McCown is a blowhard who reads a few articles, then pretends he could write them himself. he’s quite good at that.
I love listening to Bert Sugar. Like Vin Scully, I wish he was a younger man. He’ll be gone too soon. . .
Gerry: Yes!! – Less Wheeler would be a good thing. Can they keep him behind the glass maybe? The permanent sinus infection is annoying.
I do like McCormick a lot when he’s on though. He was the only SN guy worth watching and he makes Cybulski’s show much better. I hope Macko Jr does the same thing.

HappinessQueen
HappinessQueen
August 12, 2011 9:45 am

So glad you have Boob Wacko because I never listen to this station anyways – SPORTS?