Toronto Sports Media Morning Drive Lineups

Here’s your drive lineup for your listening enjoyment this am:

On 590 with Greg Brady and Jim Lang:
Tiger Cats head coach Marcel Bellefeuille
Buffalo Bills LB Shawne Merriman
Blue Jays radio colour analyst Alan Ashby
Sportsnet’s Arash Madni at Rogers Cup

On TSN radio with Mike Richards

Greg Powers (PGA Tour Insider)
Dan Shulman (ESPN Play by Play)
Dave Naylor (CFL Insider)
Mike Wilkening (Pro Football Weekly)
James Mirtle (Globe & Mail)
Kendall Gammon (KC Chiefs Sideline Reporter)

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
August 11, 2011 9:40 am

I forgot just how much I didn’t miss the broadcasters going complete gaga over Tiger. Caught some live streaming of Tiger this morning on Pgatour.com and listened to one of their analysts worrying about the fact Tiger is wearing a banded sleeved golf shirt. And how he doesn’t think he has ever seen this before… WTF how pathetic that many of these so called experts pander to this story like nothing I have seen before!

Chef Mike in Burlington
August 11, 2011 12:18 pm

Dont give a shit about Woods, haven’t for years, and in fact, i enjoy watching him lose. He acts like a self-entitled asshole and deserves whatever he gets, too bad his wife didn’t get $200 Million. He may a a rich golfer, but he lacks character, ethics and morals. And this guy my friends, is the biggest draw in PGA history.

Steve (in Hamilton)
Steve (in Hamilton)
August 11, 2011 1:06 pm

The only reason I watched golf in the past 15 years is because of Woods, and I suspect I am not alone.

I never understood the purient interest in his personal life. It’s his business. I often think the people who judge his personal life are covering for their own anxieties and neuroses.

August 11, 2011 2:25 pm

Tiger shot 77 this morning………..it must be because of his banded sleeved golf shirt

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
August 11, 2011 2:37 pm

I am probably in the minority on this one, but I have been an avid golf fan (okay I admit it, i am sports junkie!) since the early 80’s and was cemented watching Jack win the 86 Masters.

Having said that, I enjoy tournaments with Tiger in the field even though I haven’t been a fan of his since he threw Fuzzy Zoeller under the bus early in Tiger’s career. My point is, he is good for the game because of his incredible talent. However, when broadcasters go overboard on this guy they set themselves back. They have created a scenario where they expect only Tiger to be the great story and now the average viewer is led to believe that no one else is talented enough to take the mantle of world’s best golfer. The early 80’s saw many different golfers winning majors as their was no single 1 dominant player. We currently have alot of great golfers with some young players looking to take over but no one has established themselves as a repeat major winner.

Perhaps Tiger really misses his caddie, as he wore the wrong shirt and evidently his new soft running shoes with soft spikes aren’t working either.

On a related matter, listening to the TSN crew at lunch talking about golf and having the career backup goalie Mclennan compare caddies to 15 year old grocery store bagging clerks doesnt’ cut it. When the guy admits he knows nothing about golf, why ask him for his viewpoint for the majority of an hour about a sport he couldn’t figure out which end of the club to hold!

Lee (Oakville)
Lee (Oakville)
August 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Gerry, I agree with your take on Tiger, and I agree with the frustration you feel listening to personalities on sports radio pontificating about subjects/sports they know nothing about. No station is exempt from this criticism, though listening to hockey writers pretending to be baseball/tennis/football insiders is laughable and insulting to the audience. There are very few broadcasters with a depth and breadth of knowledge (Brunt?) that crosses sports lines, and they seem to be getting fewer and fewer.

Chef Mike in Burlington
August 12, 2011 1:32 pm

Steve, you’re right, millions watch golf just for him, even I admit he is the best golfer in generations. I don’t care where he puts his willy, wiener, but I also know his lack of character and discretion cost several of his sponsers millions in lost business.