Toronto Sports Media Morning Drive Lineups

Here’s your drive lineup for your listening enjoyment this am:

On 590 with Greg Brady and Jim Lang:

Jim Lang live from Detroit before Bengals/Lions preseason game
Jason LaCanfora, NFL Network
Jimmy Arias, Sportsnet tennis analyst
Len Pasquarelli, NFL columnist
Craig, Forrest, soccer host, Rogers Sportsnet

On TSN radio with Mike Richards

Greg Powers (PGA Tour Insider)
Chris Schultz (CFL on TSN)
Jock Climie (CFL on TSN)
Marcel Bellefeuille (Ticats Head Coach)
Tyler Stewart (Barenaked Ladies)
David Feherty (CBS Golf Analyst)

Buttertartfart
Buttertartfart
August 12, 2011 5:36 pm

Just flipped on PTS… saw Mr. Magoo (shannon) click bye bye..
Hope the sales staff at thefan/590 are real happy!!

Tom
Tom
August 13, 2011 1:13 am

true haha. although probably alot happier than TSN sales folks

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
August 13, 2011 6:19 am

With the departure of sports programming on 640 will be interesting if those small numbers of listeners switch to either Fan or TSN or if they go somewhere else all together. While those aren’t big numbers they will be a group that either FAN/TSN would be hoping to pick up.

I have listened to far more FM music this summer than in the past. Looking forward to fall sports and hopefully an improved sports radio marketplace.

Steve (in Hamilton)
Steve (in Hamilton)
August 13, 2011 7:30 am

I used to feel very negative about Shannon, but I have found that he has been ok recently. I liked the round-table yesterday.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
August 13, 2011 10:24 am

So BobCat is up to his usual speculation I see. He is now saying that there are at least 3 members of Wpg Jets who want out of town because they don’t want to live there.

What is ridiculous is Bob says there may be nice homes these players are used too in Wpg but they aren’t available to buy or rent. That is the stupidest think I have heard in awhile.

What an idiot he can be. Talk all you want about Wpg. not being the climate the players want, or a big city etc.. But to say something so stupid just exposes the fossil he is becoming.

Miracleviolence
August 13, 2011 12:11 pm

I don’t even think you can get a decnt apt in NYC for 1000$ a month. In Winnipeg, 1000$ a month will get you something pretty swanky whether you want it the trendy Village or Corydon district or something nice in the ‘burbs of Whyte Ridge. Burton Cummings and the Aspers are living large in Peg city. Very nice homes on Monty Hall Way (Actual name of a street in Swaggerville~!)

Steve (in Hamilton)
Steve (in Hamilton)
August 13, 2011 12:25 pm

Gerry, what is so stupid about what he said? Seriously, was it wrong?

I am only asking here. If a source told him that 3 players want out, then isn’t that true? And if the reason is due to housing, then isn’t it a true report? It would be wrong for him, or for anyone, to impugn the city for malicious and personal reasons, but isn’t it reasonable to report that players are, in fact, asking to leave for housing reasons if that is the case?

I am not defending McCown. Often I also think his views are antiquated. Rather, I just want to find out what is wrong with this report – is it not plausible?

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
August 13, 2011 12:33 pm

His comment of 3 people wanting out, I have no issue with. His comment that homes which these players would be accustomed to not being available to buy or rent is 100% false.

I have a brother building custom homes to the wealthy in Wpg, he knows that market well and there are many for sale. My sister in law is a real estate agent in Wpg, there are plenty of upscale homes available for sale, and some for rent.

His comment is completely an ignorant statement about the current housing situation in Wpg. Of course I may be a bit defensive, as a proud product of the Peg, I just hate when so called experts pass on comments without any basis. Similar to when Shannon was spouting off populations in the Kelowna/Penticton region and was off by 30-40%.

If you don’t know about something don’t say it on the air like it is fact! I have no doubts that some players will not want to play in Wpg, just as some don’t want to play in Edmonton or Montreal or Toronto. But don’t BS me on the reasons!

Steve (in Hamilton)
Steve (in Hamilton)
August 13, 2011 12:36 pm

Gerry,

Thanks for this. No need for the exclamation points – I just wanted some details. Thanks again.

Gerry (Burlington)
Gerry (Burlington)
August 13, 2011 12:42 pm

I used 2 exclamation marks, and you do realize my excitedness is based at Bob not you. Of course, now that i have spouted, I have put a call into my sister in law just to make sure I am not the pot calling the kettle black. haha

Steve
Steve
August 13, 2011 1:00 pm

Did the miss discussing the Jays sign stealing controversy on the PTS roundtable last night or did I miss them discussing it?

Mullah_Kintyre
Mullah_Kintyre
August 13, 2011 1:06 pm

Bob McCown — You lie!

On Friday night McCown again repeated his (and Brunt’s) outright lie that the Toronto Argonauts were somehow cheated by MLSE out of getting a new stadium that eventually became BMO Field.

It’s plain and simple history — look it up. The Argo owners Cynamon and Sokolowski pretended that they wanted to be part of the stadium project when it was planned to be at York University. They even had a silly press conference with Pinball Clemons at York University. They then pulled out of the project at a late date, completely of their own volition, just before they had to make a commitment to putting the money on the table, and accepted a deal for reduced rent for the Argos to stay at Rogers Centre.

York U then also pulled out, leaving the new stadium project for the Canadian Soccer Association and 2007 FIFA Under 20 World Cup in a last minute bind without a private partner. MLSE and the City of Toronto then quickly stepped in to replace York U and the Argos. MLSE accepted the same deal that the Argos walked away from, I believe paying $20 million and any cost over runs on construction. BMO Field was built entirely without the Argos. The Argos had absolutely no financial input into the construction of the soccer stadium later known as BMO Field.

I think it’s apparent that C&S never had any honest intention of putting any of their own money into building a new stadium. They hoped to attract new Argo season ticket buyers with the false promise of a new Argos stadium. And they likely also incorrectly assumed that if a new stadium was built without the Argos, it would sit empty for a couple of years before the Argos would be desperately invited to be low-rent tenants.

The City of Toronto — NOT MLSE — owns BMO Field, although MLSE operates the stadium by an agreement with the city. They are obligated to seek other events, and recently had a rugby match there. In fact, the Argos could still play at BMO Field if they could reach an agreement with the city, and could have done so a couple of years ago when C&S still owned the Argos. C&S actually wanted to have the Argos play there on a field that was 35 yards too short for the CFL and lacked other facilities for CFL such as the larger football dressing rooms, and would probably need between 5000 and 10,000 additional new seats. The CFL rightly rejected the idea. The fact that C&S again refused to consider paying for the partial reconstruction required to make BMO Field suitable for the CFL, and then walked away from owning the Argos, I believe demonstrates that they never intended to pay any of their own cash for a new stadium.

McCown should be ashamed of himself for repeatedly lying about this matter, as should his buddies Cynamon and Sokolowski if they are encouraging it. And while they’re at it, they should also apologize for misleading Argo fans about getting a new stadium.